• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Saw these guys a couple of months ago in NYC. They're amazing live, especially the singer. If you like these guys and have a chance to see them, go do it!

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the comparison on sound, but it's not exactly the same. GVF is pretty good as is and they've got time to grow into what style they'll go with.

Also they're probably the biggest thing to come out of Frankenmuth since Zehnder's chicken

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Best cover band of all time.

but really, im not a big fan and my friend got their tshirt, sweater, and CD just in part to fuck with me

the EP is alright.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit offput by just how much they sound like Zep, but fuck it, it's not like Zep is still out there releasing new music or anything, and considering how most of the music on rock radio is still Post-Grunge garbage, some classic '70s style blues rock is a great change of pace.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
This is akin to a really talented film maker wasting their time making fan films. I can appreciate the effort, but wouldn't it be better spent on something at least somewhat original?

I don't begrudge them any success coming their way and I understand why people are into them, but I find it super lame.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is very cool, ty for bringing these guys to my attention, it feels like I'm listening to a great zeppelin song

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, really like this band. Black Smoke Rising is now my current favourite song. So good! Thanks you, OP, for bringing my attention to this band.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
They sound like early Wolfmother.
9626.jpg

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite impressed by how good a job the vocalist does of ripping off Plant. Fair play to him. The songs aren't great but I like their sound.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might sound a lot like Zep, but I definitely like it more than the vast majority of modern mainstream music

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
they're obviously very talented but why ape zeppelin?

I guess if they could actually do something else they wouldn't mimic Zeppelin.

They're really young tho. Maybe they're going through a 60s obsession phase? One of their songs is called Flower Power ffs.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Lead dude sounds so much like Robert Plant that I honestly can't watch the videos of him singing with the voice because it falls into an uncanny valley of feeling uncomfortable for me.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to ape an iconic bands sound, mix in something less well known. See Janes Addiction who aped Zep with a dash of Bad Brains and Bauhaus. At least on their early stuff.

This might as well just be an extremely talented cover band. No thanks.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
They wear their inspiration a bit too much on their sleeve. Their singer is clearly very talented to even be able ape plant's style that well, but yeah if I'm going to listen to zeppelin I'm going to listen to zeppelin. I think it's ok for your influences to show through ala. (Sleep, Electric wizard, early tame impala) but this is borderline imitation. For a first record it's not the end of the world, but they definitely need to diversify their sound if they want to stand on their own legs.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
After seeing this thread pop up over and over again, I finally checked them out. Literally burst out laughing when the guy started singing. It's fucking uncanny.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people say this before, and I'm not a big enough fan to know, but I've never had anyone prove the claim that Led Zeppelin stole lots of shit. Anyone wanna help me out?

There was a few songs that I recall but almost the entirety of their work was original.

There was allegations about Stairway to Heaven not long ago but it died in the courts.

Edit: OK I listened to it and it's almost creepy how much he sounds like Plant.

They sound a lot like early Zeppelin, don't think they're ripping off any of their songs but I'd need to listen to the whole album.

If their next album is Out Through the In Door we will know.

Last edited:

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This reminds me a bit of the whole Airbourne & AC/DC thing. I'm never too sure how to think about stuff like this. On one hand it's freaking cool and they are clearly great at their respective instruments, on the other hand I feel like just mimicking the sound of another band is always a bit icky.

I remember those debates. Kind of soured me off of Airbourne, which I liked when I was young.

Oct 27, 2017
Been listening to them a lot lately, and everyone I introduce them to is instantly a fan.

Some of the critiques on YouTube crack me up, though. When your biggest complaint is that the band sounds "too much like Led Zeppelin," like it's an easy thing to do to sound like one of the most iconic, talented, and biggest rock groups of all time, then maybe step back a second and listen to yourself. That's not a fucking complaint. That's an amazing goddamn compliment.
It's incredibly easy to imitate the sound of an extremely popular band.

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly sounds too much like Zeppelin for my taste. It's really the vocals that sell it (instrumentally, there are dozens of other bands that this could be). The vocals are so spot on, down to the amount of reverb, that it loses any sense of individuality in my opinion. In a blind listen, it would be very difficult to tell the difference between the two and unless you've listened to Led Zeppelin extensively and can pick apart the subtleties of each band.

A band can be influenced by another group or style, to the extent of flat out ripping off their songs like Zeppelin would do. But the difference is that there is usually a big enough discrepancy between the older group and the newer group to distinguish them. A group like Preoccupations may take influence from post-punk bands like Joy Division, or a band like The Strokes may take influence from The Velvet Underground, but it's never to an extent where the two become indistinguishable. Preoccupations will be known as a great post punk group, The Strokes will be a staple of 2000s indie rock, but Greta Van Fleet will only be known as that band that sounds like Led Zeppelin.

DL Clyde

Oct 25, 2017
Led Zeppelin is the best band of all time.

The singer definitely sounds like Robert Plant, and they have the guitar tuned pretty much exactly like Jimmy Page. The instrumental skill and experimentation isn't quite there, though.

Overall, I'm getting more of a Black Crowes vibe from the songwriting and organization. This certainly isn't a bad thing, but currently all they're really doing is making me want to listen to Zeppelin. I'll definitely keep listening though. Good modern rock is almost impossible to find.

Need to listen to Greta van Fleet beyond the one song I listened to but I do like The Black Crowes besides one, maybe two albums.

My father has been all about them for the last month or so after listening to a track at someone's house. They're okay I guess, but I think a lot has to be said about musicians that are influenced and do their own thing, versus musicians that are influenced but replicate that same sound.

As far as Zep influences go, The Parlor Mob is still my favorite. I can listen to And You Were A Crow on repeat for the next 10 years, as I did the last 10 years.

I love The Parlor Mob's debut album, however their second album is awful. A shame they went that way. Another band that I like that were influenced (but not a copy) of Led Zeppelin are Rival Sons. That guy can sing for sure. And I agree with you about the difference between someone who is influenced but have their own sound than someone who straight up copies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
God damn, after a further listen... these kids are amazing. I see they are dressing the part, but they get it, the riff, the beat, the wail.. ffs.. I never thought this could happen.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have been listening for over 2 hours now. I am about the biggest Zep fan around. No doubt. I am completely ok with this. Way to go young guys.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, first time I heard one of their songs I totally thought I was listening to Robert Plant.

I love this tune, by far my favorite of theirs.

Have seen some people putting them down saying they're not on the level of Zeppelin - I mean, it would be silly to think they would be anywhere near Zeppelin at this point, as they're all like 20 years old and haven't even put out a full LP yet. As for the notion they sound too much like them - I dunno, being able to listen to new Zeppelin-ish tunes written by a current band has been pretty neat.

Will be interesting to see how they develop in the years to come. Wishing them the best.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
whatever they play, sounds about like period Zep. No shame, all I have is praise. Its a bit like finding an assload of unreleased tracks.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump. Just discovered them. Listened to their whole album "The Battle At the Garden's Gate" and not a single song wasn't genuinely good/up to the quality of the others. It's insanely impressive.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump. Just discovered them. Listened to their whole album "The Battle At the Garden's Gate" and not a single song wasn't genuinely good/up to the quality of the others. It's insanely impressive.
It's funny that I posted in this thread and wasn't sold on the band due to how much they sounded like Zep. However I heard Heat Above recently and really liked it so I listened to the whole album. They have developed a more distinct style now and I like it.

Also like a quarter of the posters in this thread are banned lol

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that I posted in this thread and wasn't sold on the band due to how much they sounded like Zep. However I heard Heat Above recently and really liked it so I listened to the whole album. They have developed a more distinct style now and I like it.

Also like a quarter of the posters in this thread are banned lol
I uhhh, have to leave lol

In all seriousness I just listened to tears of rain again. That and heat above are pretty exceptional to me. It's all good though. I am now backtracking into their catalog so we'll see. This album was a really nice surprise though.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The more I listen. I think my tops from the album are

Above the Heat
Light My Love
Tears of Rain
Broken Bells