Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Darth Vader

Votes: 1,216 87.2%
  • Hopkins' Lecter

Votes: 75 5.4%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
So all of these villains are considered to be top tier villains in cinema. Between the three of them who do you think is the most iconic?

Ledger's Joker:

Heath-Ledger-as-the-Joker-in-The-Dark-Knight.jpg

Darth Vader:

thumb-1920-59190.jpg

Hopkins' Lecter:

tumblr_inline_o0ox4oiAPe1sl6jqt_1280.jpg

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
All great characters, but Vader is the most iconic and it's not particularly close in my opinion.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Darth vader as a movie villain. Joker is more known for his comic appearances I would say.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I would say that Joker as a character is more iconic than Darth Vader, but that the single iteration of Darth Vader is more iconic than any single iteration of Joker, including Ledger's.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
lol Darth Vader has been around for 46 years. Multiple movies and shows and books and comics over 4 decades...and counting.

Ledger did 1 Joker movie 15 years ago.

Hopkins' Lecter is great, but mostly forgettable outside of the Silence of the Lambs.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If you're asking about the icon itself, then it's clearly Vader.

If you're asking about the actor portrayal, then it's probably Ledger.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Darth Vader.

The Joker is iconic, yes, but Heath Ledger is just one of many people who have played the part. I'd put the DCAU Joker above him, even. As for Hannibal Lecter, he's at least one or two steps below the Joker in being iconic.

But for Vader? You see the silhuette, you know it's Vader. You hear the breath, you know it's Vader. And there is only the one Darth Vader. So it has to be him.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Is this meant as a remotely serious question? If so, how? How can anyone possibly think that either of the other two are even on the same planet as Vader?

Now, if you had asked about Joker in general, rather than just Ledger's portrayal, that would have been somewhat closer. Comic and animated Joker are vastly more iconic than Ledger's Joker. Vader would still take it, though.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Ask the general population, Vader is the multi-generational icon.

He has nerds, normies, boomers, x'ers, millennials and probably zoomers. And not just the men...

As for runner up, I'd say Ledger for younger generations, Hopkins for older, with the overlap in gen-x

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Vader by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

With two other great Jokers (Hamill, Nicholson), I wouldn't even say Ledger is the best Joker tbh

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Is this meant as a remotely serious question? If so, how? How can anyone possibly think that either of the other two are even on the same planet as Vader?

Now, if you had asked about Joker in general, rather than just Ledger's portrayal, that would have been somewhat closer. Comic and animated Joker are vastly more iconic than Ledger's Joker. Vader would still take it, though.
Yeah, the question is kind of weird, and almost trying to have two different conversations.

The fact they didn't even include an actor for Vader, yet included actors for the other two, you're not really even sure what they want to discuss, lol.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Weekend Era thread. There are few characters more recognizable than Vader. The Joker and Hannibal aren't any of them. In fact, you could argue Vader might be THE movie icon.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Vader is essentially the icon of villains. Like how the Space Invaders aliens are shown as shorthand for gaming, Vader's helmet is visual shorthand for villainy.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The question should be Darth Vader, Jesus, Pikachu. Joker and Hannibal should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. Star Wars and Vader are referenced in nearly every movie and show that's staged in modern times.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Vader for sure. Like unquestionably a cultural icon that's lasted across decades and generations

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Each of these are in completely different tiers.

Vader >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lecter

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I know its unfair and people have their opinions on anything Star Wars post Return but I choose Vader because of his pretty memorable villain origin story; specially when you add both Clone Wars series into the mix. Ledger is a very close second, one hell of a villain/performance.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Weekend Era thread. There are few characters more recognizable than Vader. The Joker and Hannibal aren't any of them. In fact, you could argue Vader might be THE movie icon.

Yeah, trying to think of any movie villain that even comes close, and the best I can think of is the Wicked Witch of the West.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Darth Vader might just be the most iconic movie character ever so it's him by default.

If you're asking me though, Hopkins as Lecter is one of the best performances ever and is my favorite of the bunch

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I put Joker and Vader at a tie, Hopkins' Lecter is rather retro now and an icon of the 90s\00s cinema whereas Ledger's Joker is always referred to as a measuring gauge among the jokers and become a symbol of mischief, rebellion, and Vader is still a recurring villain in Star Wars.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Darth Vader is kind of like the modern day grim reaper in how iconic he is.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Death Vader is operating in a whole other league. This is football vs, idk, lacrosse

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ledger's Joker isn't even in contention

Hopkins isn't even the most iconic Lecter anymore

So Vader