Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
A friend introduced me to this guy's channel. He's a lawyer that usually looks at the legal sincerity of movies and TV, but he did a great video on the Barr letter and basically eviscerated it.
If you aren't too up on the letter like I wasn't, this is a great episode.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
This was actually posted before, but didn't get much traction. I do like Legal Eagle, and I'm glad he's doing more analysis, and less selling his legal eagle courses. (not that I blame him, I just enjoy these more)

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's been posted twice and ignored... probably because it's a long video, perhaps a summary would help. Threads that require watching a half hour or more video rarely get traction without one.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was liking this guy but then I thought he made a video defending Kavanaugh? Kinda stopped looking after that. I'll check this out later

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I saw it already, I usually watch his videos.
They are quite good, high production values and to the point. Thumbs up!

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

He is definitely not a fan of the Republicans. He never outright says it but you can tell he's not a fan of their...let's say "extra legal strategies."

Also lol at people calling 13 minutes a "long video" in the era of 2 hour video essays. LegalEagle is bite-sized.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found this guy when he analyzed It's Always Sunny's Cereal in the car case lol. He is great. Thanks for posting this so I can watch and sub.

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a fan of this guy's channel, been checking his videos out for a while now. Whether he's talking politics or movies and TV shows he's entertaining and informative at the same time. And while he does shill for various web services like skillshare I find the way he segways into those sections amusing.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a fan of this guy's channel, been checking his videos out for a while now. Whether he's talking politics or movies and TV shows he's entertaining and informative at the same time. And while he does shill for various web services like skillshare I find the way he segways into those sections amusing.

The video he did about the college bribery scandal, and the theme song segment was nothing short of brilliant.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I still remember him on one of his Russian Investigation videos he segwayed into it by saying along the lines of: "And if you need to speak Russian to talk your Boss then skill share can be an excellent..."

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
This guys videos are great.

He comes off as a bit of a centrist at times, but you definitely get were he stands when you watch stuff like the Cohen video.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he's got some great videos and is on point with this one.
His hand movements are distracting as hell though.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Legal Eagle is a super underrated channel. The legal evisceration of the Aunt Becky scandal was glorious and his level of pettiness at USC was fucking hysterical

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
What's the point? That people have the attention span of a gnat? You would think we could expect a bit more at a place like ERA.

A thread with info is more likely to succeed than one with no info. This is a text based forum, people come here all the time and aren't even able to watch a video at the time it's not necessarily about attention span.

There are literally 2 identical threads to this that died; is what I'm suggesting really a foreign concept to people?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. Why does the Barr Letter cover only 2 facets of the Mueller report?:
Mueller's job was to investigate 3 things, personal ties to Russia', Trump's obstruction of justice, and Russian interference in 2016. The summary covers only the first two, personal ties and obstruction of justice.

2. What does Barr mean when he says the Mueller report "did not establish" a conspiracy with the Russians?
Could mean there was no evidence, could mean there's loads of evidence but nothing definitive for a criminal prosecution.

3. Why does Barr suggest that there can be no obstruction of justice when there isn't a conviction for an underlying crime?
Barr suggests that you cannot convict for obstruction of justice if there is no criminal act or conviction for one. Just untrue, you can be convicted for obstruction without any criminal conviction. Barr's memo implies Trump firing Comey and comments on Flynn cannot be corrupt unless he was guilty of collusion.

4. Why does Barr think there was no crime?
Trump is effectively an unindicted co-conspirator in a campaign finance federal violation involving Cohen. So there was a crime, Trump is just not the primary suspect of this one for which there's already been numerous indictions and convictions.

5. Why didn't Mueller decide the obstruction issue?
Barr implies Mueller declined to prosecute because there was no obstruction, but that's not necessarily true. Mueller could've declined for other reasons, either related to jurisdiction or standards process. Mueller basically punted the obstruction problem but not on collusion or conspiracy.

6. Why did Barr weigh in on the obstruction issue?
While Mueller punted the obstruction problem, it wasn't in Barr's, as a recent political appointee by Trump, call to decide on, certainly not under 48 hours. It should've went to Congress.

7. Whose legal conclusions are these, and are there more we haven't seen?
The letter talks about the report in overarching terms but not about the legal analysis, which would've been Mueller's, or the evidence. Also Barr implies the president cannot actually obstruct justice, a minority legal opinion for which he was appointed IIRC.

8. Why did Barr quote "The Mueller Report does not exonerate the president"? (I actually thought he said it did exonerate?)
Even if Barr was trying to set up a partisan narrative if/when the full report comes out, why quote this in his summary, which seems to be an extra step since it doesn't help the President's case at all?

9. Why was there a decision made not to prosecute for obstruction of justice without interviewing the president?
There's precedence (Clinton) for making a president stand for an interview and it's unclear if this was actually explored by Mueller. Why allow written answers to written questions instead of an oral interview?

Dunno why I wasted 30 minutes on this but there you go. The OP and anyone else who posts vlogs in the future should make an effort to do this much, not necessarily for my sake but it'll keep your thread alive. People are lazy and need stuff spoon fed to them.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the best simple/mainstream explanation of what wrong with the Barr Report. Hopefully the video gets more traction

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Mueller's job was to investigate 3 things, personal ties to Russia', Trump's obstruction of justice, and Russian interference in 2016. The summary covers only the first two, personal ties and obstruction of justice.

2. What does Barr mean when he says the Mueller report "did not establish" a conspiracy with the Russians?
Could mean there was no evidence, could mean there's loads of evidence but nothing definitive for a criminal prosecution.

3. Why does Barr suggest that there can be no obstruction of justice when there isn't a conviction for an underlying crime?
Barr suggests that you cannot convict for obstruction of justice if there is no criminal act or conviction for one. Just untrue, you can be convicted for obstruction without any criminal conviction. Barr's memo implies Trump firing Comey and comments on Flynn cannot be corrupt unless he was guilty of collusion.

Trump is effectively an unindicted co-conspirator in a campaign finance federal violation involving Cohen. So there was a crime, Trump is just not the primary suspect of this one for which there's already been numerous indictions and convictions.

Barr implies Mueller declined to prosecute because there was no obstruction, but that's not necessarily true. Mueller could've declined for other reasons, either related to jurisdiction or standards process. Mueller basically punted the obstruction problem but not on collusion or conspiracy.

While Mueller punted the obstruction problem, it wasn't in Barr's, as a recent political appointee by Trump, call to decide on, certainly not under 48 hours. It should've went to Congress.

The letter talks about the report in overarching terms but not about the legal analysis, which would've been Mueller's, or the evidence. Also Barr implies the president cannot actually obstruct justice, a minority legal opinion for which he was appointed IIRC.

8. Why did Barr quote "The Mueller Report does not exonerate the president"? (I actually thought he said it did exonerate?)
Even if Barr was trying to set up a partisan narrative if/when the full report comes out, why quote this in his summary, which seems to be an extra step since it doesn't help the President's case at all?

9. Why was there a decision made not to prosecute for obstruction of justice without interviewing the president?
There's precedence (Clinton) for making a president stand for an interview and it's unclear if this was actually explored by Mueller. Why allow written answers to written questions instead of an oral interview?

thanks for this - even though i watched it ;)

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

Dunno why I wasted 30 minutes on this but there you go. The OP and anyone else who posts vlogs in the future should make an effort to do this much, not necessarily for my sake but it'll keep your thread alive. People are lazy and need stuff spoon fed to them.
Thanks doggo

I enjoy this channel a bunch