OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
AAA JRPGs haven't depended on Japan for commercial success in a long time.

Look at Monster Hunter: World. Capcom knew.
the problem is i don't see a reimagining being AAA because of the sentai influence, a B or single a game is the best i could hope for, something akin to tales or persona, neither which are AAA,

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
People talk about how the game was received when it came out. Are we forgetting that people didn't like Silent Hill 2 when it first came out?

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Funny there should be a topic on here comparing a jrpg to Super Sentai because I was just thinking how Ys 9 is stop similar to it (especially Kyoryuger with multiple rangers hanging out at the same restaurant without knowing it.)

Still have to check Dragoon out, haven't played it though I've managed to accumulate two Japanese copies of the game.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Metacritic says otherwise. Are we really comparing Silent Hill 2 to fucking Legend of Dragoon lol

No, I'm talking about the reception. People calling something not good doesn't make it so when something as good as Silent Hill 2 was being called not good.

Metacritic doesn't mean anything, it's an aggregate of reviews it could find from those times. People didn't like that the plot diverged from the first game which, iirc, is why they continued it for the third game.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Are we really comparing Silent Hill 2 to fucking Legend of Dragoon lol
i mean metacritic for dragoon at mostly average to positive for critics, to almost 8.9 positive for user and before anyone says i doubt the users for dragoon is review boosting, its an old jrpg with very little controversy

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No, I'm talking about the reception. People calling something not good doesn't make it so when something as good as Silent Hill 2 was being called not good.

Metacritic doesn't mean anything, it's an aggregate of reviews it could find from those times. People didn't like that the plot diverged from the first game which, iirc, is why they continued it for the third game.

Edited my post as I know people are gonna get stuck on the Metacritic part. The user scores are equally high. I don't recall Silent Hill 2 not being liked at all. Sounds more like a vocal minority.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

I don't remember people putting down Silent Hill 2 anywhere near how much LoD was. I mean you could skip the aggregate and go straight to the source and see fair/mediocre reviews at best for LoD, especially compared to SH2. Why are we even talking about a survival horror title from a different gen anyway?

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Edited my post as I know people are gonna get stuck on the Metacritic part. The user scores are equally high. I don't recall Silent Hill 2 not being liked at all. Sounds more like a vocal minority.

Maybe so, I just remember people not liking it at the time.

I don't remember people putting down Silent Hill 2 anywhere near how much LoD was. I mean you could skip the aggregate and go straight to the source and see fair/mediocre reviews at best for LoD, especially compared to SH2. Why are we even talking about a survival horror title from a different gen anyway?

No, I'm not saying it's anywhere near the same, just that there we people saying SH2 was mediocre/not good at the time so I don't understand taking the way people felt about it as any type of evidence when even great games can get meh scores/talk about it.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Don't relate with the haters at all. Legend of Dragoon is amazing. And the super sentai trope straight in your face is a unique feature. Love the transformations, additions, armor designs... Even the divine dragon one lol.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe so, I just remember people not liking it at the time.

No, I'm not saying it's anywhere near the same, just that there we people saying SH2 was mediocre/not good at the time so I don't understand taking the way people felt about it as any type of evidence when even great games can get meh scores/talk about it.

Bc LoD has consistently average at best reviews or worse. It's wasn't considered a great game when it was released with a small group of detractors. It's ok to like it, but we're not rewriting history here.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Bc LoD has consistently average at best reviews or worse. It's wasn't considered a great game when it was released with a small group of detractors. It's ok to like it, but we're not rewriting history here.
i think you are the one rewriting history with that one,

The Legend of Dragoon

A peaceful beginning. The legend was born 10,000 years ago. A violent uprising. A civilization of flying creatures enslave the human race. A bloody war. In a bid for freedom, the humans harness the spiritual forces of Dragons and triumph. Tranquility and harmony exist between all. But the past...

the most reviews were average to positive, not even talking about users

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017

But even a consensus doesn't make it true. My whole thing is if you don't like it or think it's mediocre that's fine, don't use 14 reviews to say "this shows it's mediocre".

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
i think you are the one rewriting history with that one,

The Legend of Dragoon

A peaceful beginning. The legend was born 10,000 years ago. A violent uprising. A civilization of flying creatures enslave the human race. A bloody war. In a bid for freedom, the humans harness the spiritual forces of Dragons and triumph. Tranquility and harmony exist between all. But the past...

the most reviews were average to positive, not even talking about users

74 isn't glowing. Top sites at the time like Gamespot and IGN swinging in with average rating and sites like RPGFan and RPGamer not even listed also ranking average or lower.

I've been using average/mediocre/fair. I'm hardly rewriting anything.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
74 isn't glowing. Top sites at the time like Gamespot and IGN swinging in with average rating and sites like RPGFan and RPGamer not even listed also ranking average or lower.

I've been using average/mediocre/fair. I'm hardly rewriting anything.
glowing no, wouldn't call it average either, i mean 7 and up are good games, not the best of the genre not the worst but basically 50/50 mixed to positive isn't what i call consistently average or worse i'd say average to better

I mean...is it on any top RPG lists? It doesn't even stand out, graphics aside, when comparing RPGs of that generation.

did i not call the game standard, textbook, doesn't do special unique or new, takes all the tropes it uses and plays it straight, that it doesn't standout from the crowd but its still a good game

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's about as white bread as a PS1 RPG can get, the battles take forever for too small of an xp/money gain, and the translation's terrible. I'd rather play just about any other PS1 RPG in my collection.

But I'll forever remember the Gamefan review of it, which is what sold me on the game. I enjoyed it for a playthrough but there's never been anything in it calling to me to replay it like so many of its contemporaries.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
glowing no, wouldn't call it average either, i mean 7 and up are good games, not the best of the genre not the worst but basically 50/50 mixed to positive isn't what i call consistently average or worse i'd say average to better

7s are normally considered average, that is C grade territory.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

did i not call the game standard, textbook, doesn't do special unique or new, takes all the tropes it uses and plays it straight, that it doesn't standout from the crowd but its still a good game

people are asking for bluepoint to do a remake lol

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
people are asking for bluepoint to do a remake lol
it's still a beloved game despite being standard, can people not like what is essentially ps1 era jrpg vanilla ice cream, can people not enjoy that, can people not want it to be brought back, being standard is not a bad thing, you can still be good and be standard, you don't have to be this big genre redefining thing. I'd say dragoon is beloved despite being standard

Last edited:

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
LoD wasn't even considered average when it came out. It was always considered a cheap knock off. People can enjoy bad things, there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish that people would quit trying to make LoD happen, it didn't happen 20 years ago and it won't happen now.

Threads similar to this say the opposite. Yes there is much that doesn't work well and many, myself included, revere this game through rose tinted glasses...however the demand for a remake has been at near boiling levels for years. To which, I think it would sell quite well. Especially if they improve on the parts that didn't work then or haven't aged well.

*Note: LoD was my 2nd RPG after FFVII and I loved the setting much more and it holds a much more integral spot in my love for JRPG's than many other classics (I'm broken I know). That said, I went back to it a few years ago on the Vita and couldn't even get past what would have been disc 1.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i loved it as a kid, but got stuck at some black dragon on disc 4 and never progressed further. i still remember how divisive the game was back in the day.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever anybody mentions this game I just remember Rose's attack with menstrual blood and I just hate that anybody ever mentions this game.

This made me do a spit take because either I didn't get far enough in the game to see this ability as a kid, or it went over my head, but hoo boy you're not lying, It's A Thing.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
This made me do a spit take because either I didn't get far enough in the game to see this ability as a kid, or it went over my head, but hoo boy you're not lying, It's A Thing.
it was censored so the american version makes it look like a drop off darkness not blood, so you probably wouldn't have recognize it, unless you play the japanese version

Oct 31, 2017
LoD wasn't even considered average when it came out. It was always considered a cheap knock off. People can enjoy bad things, there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish that people would quit trying to make LoD happen, it didn't happen 20 years ago and it won't happen now.
What an obnoxious take lol I just wish people would stop trying to make Dragon Quest happen in the West, it didn't happen 20 years ago and it won't happen now.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I bought this on the PS3 and never found the time to play it. Basically a bunch of PS1 era games were on sale for like ~$2 on the PS3 and I bought a slew of them, but without the time to play them they just sat there. Sad times.

Oct 31, 2017
Anyways, I thought the Helena Prison segment was one of the worst openings in a JRPG and the first real town was also ugly as hell. But then afterwards, in some swampy forest, I started loving the game, despite its atrocious "translation."

Fun battle system, unique music, gorgeous art, nice pacing, and plenty of memorable moments.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever anybody mentions this game I just remember Rose's attack with menstrual blood and I just hate that anybody ever mentions this game.

eSAU7Fd.gif

I just youtube'd it. In all this time I have never seen that attack before.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
Love it.
It does so much wrong.
Damn nostalgia.

The battle system is *terrible* you are allowed A SINGLE SKILL/ADDITION IN PER BATTLE THAT HAS TO BE SET PRIOR TO IT. (Magic aside)
How in the fuck did they come up with that.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
eSAU7Fd.gif

I just youtube'd it. In all this time I have never seen that attack before.

I remember the first time I did it. I am scarred for life. It is etched in my memory and I am taken back to that moment as a young teenager whenever anybody mentions this game and I just wonder why everybody hates me. Please stop doing this to me.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Love it.
It does so much wrong.
Damn nostalgia.

The battle system is *terrible* you are allowed A SINGLE SKILL/ADDITION IN PER BATTLE THAT HAS TO BE SET PRIOR TO IT. (Magic aside)
How in the fuck did they come up with that.
experimentation, like most playstation games i'd guess

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
  • In the Japanese version, Rosa's Demon Gate attack would spew out red blood when performed. In the international versions, this color was changed from red to black.

Wow. Lol we already got the censored version. In Japan it was even more clear.

also read the Japanese version was harder. I thought it was mostly the other way es around at that time.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I remember loving this game back in the day, but I was also like 12 when I played it and was addicted to literally anything that was fantasy and 'cool', so I suspect I would find it a lot less good now. And while the music overall is mediocre, this is still one of my favorite castle themes of all time:

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I played this game many years ago, and even with me not living through the age in which it released, i do not understand how some people like it really. LIke, theres nothing there. The combat is not that good at all, unless you are one of those people that think that just because you need to press a button it is better than waiting a turn, which is the point of a strategy turn based game. The characters are the most basic thing ever and i really,really did not like the music. Even looking at the time it released,there was so many better things that came that same year even.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
What an obnoxious take lol I just wish people would stop trying to make Dragon Quest happen in the West, it didn't happen 20 years ago and it won't happen now.

Lol, in the same 20 year time frame Dragon Quest has released 4 mainline games, 5 updated remakes of mainline games (including 2 that had never released in the west), and multiple spinoffs. LoD released one mediocre game that has a very small but vocal fan base. There is a massive disparity between DQ and LoD.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
When I think of JRPG's with Super Sentai type transformations, I always think of Wild ARMs 2 and Tales of Xillia 2.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The addition system gets old so fast. If only let's say you master a move it would remove the need to constantly time it, it would have been tolerable. Even then, it takes too long to master every move. The item that removes the timing sucks cause it reduces your damage. It is too much of a penalty. Also grinding for xp and money sucks in this game. It's a very stingy game.

Oct 31, 2017
Lol, in the same 20 year time frame Dragon Quest has released 4 mainline games, 5 updated remakes of mainline games (including 2 that had never released in the west), and multiple spinoffs. LoD released one mediocre game that has a very small but vocal fan base. There is a massive disparity between DQ and LoD.
Not my point lol I'm saying don't be obnoxiously petty if someone can just as easily be obnoxiously petty back