• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic:

What are some good modern SRPGs? I figure I'd ask here since you guys obviously have good taste. The only ones I've seen have been:

Brigandine: Legend of Runersia (PS4/Switch)
Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (Switch)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Disgaea (newer releases)

What else am I overlooking that has come out within the last 5 years?
Define SRPG, here. This year has been one of the best year SRPGs/TRPGs, across regions.

XCOM: Chimera Squad
Ports of XCOM2
Gears of War: Tactics
Troubleshooter (good hybrid between Western and Japanese style SRPGs)
Fae Tactics

Some people vouch for Banner of the Maid, but I haven't touched it. Haven't played the recent Utawaremono release, either.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Game is brutally difficult and incredibly annoying in having to pour tons of hours into crafting. In spite of its big flaws, i can't help but love the fantastically written characters and universe Matsuno and crew crafted. The pixel art is phenomenal and the combat system is quite fun despite every battle being a struggle.

There's apparently a fan patch that rebalances the game from top to bottom. Might be worth checking out if you don't like the base game -- http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/43-tactics-ogre-one-vision/

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
The two timeless, incredible games that most obviously needed sequels.

This and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Damn shame. Incredible game.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
re: The SNES/PS1/Saturn/PSP debate

The PSP version has the best script, full stop.

Mhm.

Ogre Battle 64 chronologically takes place alongside/just after LUCT. In one of OB64's endings, it's loosely implied that Lanselot Tartaros is coming to deal with the Xenobians, presumably after his escape from Valeria. Everything was gearing up for a climactic battle against Lodis, and then... nothing.

Please remember the franchise exists, SE.
Ogre Battle? but we don't own the Shrek license.
177405.jpg

Off topic:

What are some good modern SRPGs? I figure I'd ask here since you guys obviously have good taste. The only ones I've seen have been:

Disgaea (newer releases)

The Banner Saga: Start with the first one (the sequel is better but you'll get more out of it if you've played through the first one).
I really wish we got to see Yasumi Matsuno's script for Unsung Phoenix.
Into the Breach: One of the best games of the past generation and a masterful bit of storytelling through gameplay.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is "strategy RPG" even a term? I thought the S stood for simulation

By Japanese genre standards, sure, but Western genre names go for S=Strategy. "Simulation RPG" tends to mean the Harvest Moon genre in the West.

SRPGs/TRPGs are too blurry of a divide, so I tend to just lump them all together. There's a clear spectrum between them, but the subgenre is so saturated that there's a full spread.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people think SRPGs should be called TRPGs.

That just mean they don't think far enough ahead....don't see the bigger picture....

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
imo sometimes acronyms stand for different things in different languages and arguing that one is "wrong" and one is "right" is kind of dumb because both words communicate the correct thing to their respective audiences in their respective languages?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
anyway i hate famitsu's "this day in history" articles like this one because it's like, mayhaps Square Enix should spend less money placing those articles like these and more money dumping the isos on steam for people to purchase?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
My god another thread is about to devolve into overly literal, pedantic people having to bash their boring takes about genre names against each other's heads 🙈

I'm guessing from people saying they've played it on PS Vita that it might be compatible with PS TV too? FFT has been one of my favorite games for more than 20 years, but I've never played Tactics Ogre. Really should hop on it one day.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My god another thread is about to devolve into overly literal, pedantic people having to bash their boring takes about genre names against each other's heads 🙈

I'm guessing from people saying they've played it on PS Vita that it might be compatible with PS TV too? FFT has been one of my favorite games for more than 20 years, but I've never played Tactics Ogre. Really should hop on it one day.
According to playstation store, it's not compatible with ps tv unfortunately :/

such a waste if potential that thing is

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funds and recruitment, to me is part of the "rpg" aspect, and wouldn't count as strategic elements in this case. That's my reasoning
You are misunderstanding I think, you have to have a campaign wide strategy in order to get high rankings using the ranking system. It requires pretty significant planning for the entirety of the campaign as a whole. I'm not saying the existence of funds to manage or characters to recruit alone represent a strategic layer, but rather what is required to get high rankings using those systems.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You are misunderstanding I think, you have to have a campaign wide strategy in order to get high rankings using the ranking system. It requires pretty significant planning for the entirety of the campaign as a whole. I'm not saying the existence of funds to manage or characters to recruit alone represent a strategic layer, but rather what is required to get high rankings using those systems.
Ok, sounds like that could be apt then. Guess it's my inexperience with later fire emblem games talking

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I never liked it. FFT felt better throughout
Always felt the opposite. Tactics' pacing is so much worse than Let Us Cling Together and the battles, both in terms of map layout and the underlying mechanics, are nowhere near as complex. It doesn't help that each version of the game has their unique, significant problems; the original suffered from dreadful localization while the PSP remake is plagued by frequent slowdown. If it wasn't for the (admittedly solid) Final Fantasy paint job, solid score and its connection to perhaps the most thoroughly explored universe of all Final Fantasy universes (between Tactics and its sequels, the Matsuno masterpiece Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII), I sincerely doubt Final Fantasy Tactics would be as well remembered as it currently is.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Ive never understood the love for Tactics Ogre, for me its Ogre Battle 64 for life, I still go back and play it.

I hate the fact that tatics ogre gets all the attention when Ogre Battle 64 was such a more unique gameplay experience that no one has replicated yet
I love both.

Always felt the opposite. Tactics' pacing is so much worse than Let Us Cling Together and the battles, both in terms of map layout and the underlying mechanics, are nowhere near as complex. It doesn't help that each version of the game has their unique, significant problems; the original suffered from dreadful localization while the PSP remake is plagued by frequent slowdown. If it wasn't for the (admittedly solid) Final Fantasy paint job, solid score and its connection to perhaps the most thoroughly explored universe of all Final Fantasy universes (between Tactics and its sequels, the Matsuno masterpiece Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII), I sincerely doubt Final Fantasy Tactics would be as well remembered as it currently is.
I love TO as much as anybody, but come on. FFT was highly regarded from day one til now. It does not owe its reputation to the other Matsuno games. FFT was and is great. TO is as well, and arguably better.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Been on a huge Tactics kick lately, returning to Knights of Lodis and finally digging into FFTA2 after getting a DSi XL from the BST thread.

Fae Tactics is also interesting, but reviews had me cool a bit.

Really excited for Tenderfoot Tactics that is releasing a couple weeks (Oct. 21) and will have a new demo available tomorrow with the whole Steam Indie showcase thing. It's a more Expressionistic take visually and I'm curious how that will feed directly into the battles - or, will it contrast the 'wobbly' ethereal presentation of the world with a calculated and tangible feel. Either way, it is unique in appearance and the deformation mechanics can open a can of worms (good and bad) for gameplay.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for the (admittedly solid) Final Fantasy paint job, solid score and its connection to perhaps the most thoroughly explored universe of all Final Fantasy universes (between Tactics and its sequels, the Matsuno masterpiece Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII), I sincerely doubt Final Fantasy Tactics would be as well remembered as it currently is.

Sure, if you remove a bunch of things that make FFT a great game, then it is not a great game.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sure, if you remove a bunch of things that make FFT a great game, then it is not a great game.
A solid paint job of series staples doesn't paper over the stagnant battles and bad story pacing (and even worse original localization) but go ahead and selectively read part of my post if it helps you sleep at night.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
The PSP remake is one of the greatest games of all time.
Thankfully I can still play it on my Vita.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
I keep flip flopping back on which I like more, this game or FFT. They are both a couple of my favorite games of all time. I love almost everything about it minus the crafting system and lack of fitting room. I even like the class system, but I'm the person who tries to have one of every class in the group, so "restarting" from level 1 doesn't bug me much. I just have one deadweight in the back of almost every fight and it takes care of it. Haha. The amount of content in this game is absolutely crazy. I've beat it a few times, but I've still never made it to the end of CODA.

There's apparently a fan patch that rebalances the game from top to bottom. Might be worth checking out if you don't like the base game -- http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/43-tactics-ogre-one-vision/

Going to plug this. I say grab this mod if you have the capabilities even if you like the base game. Maybe even moreso if you do and are looking for a replay. I don't think I could go back to the vanilla game. Crafting has a 100% success rate and is less dumb, rebalanced and new classes, revamped and rebalanced weapons, and a whole lot more. There is a huge amount of work put into it. It will make the game harder, but not because it's aiming to be a hard mod, but lots of broken stuff just isn't there from the base game. Also there are a few mechanical changes that will make it harder, ex. when you use revival spells/items it saves the unit by taking them out of the fight (the idea that if the enemy can't revive units, you can't either). Highly recommend.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Off topic:

Disgaea (newer releases)

There's...

Valkyria Chronicles 1/4

Valkyria-Chronicles-4-Shot-03.jpg

On PS4/Switch/PC and currently the gold standard of the modern genre, in that it has strong characters/story/mission objectives/optional content.

God Wars: Future Past

God-Wars_04-17-17.jpg

Which is on PS4/Vita/Switch/PC and pretty good. The story is nothing to write home about, but the map design is surprisingly good and you have the same addictive and flexible job system as the Matsuno SRPGs. Did well enough to have a sequel announced, though we have no clue when that's happening.

SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked

s-l1600.jpg

But that's kinda 'old' now and only on 3DS.

Summon Night 6

Summon-Night-6-Shot-07.jpg

On PS4/Vita. Hard for me to look at this one objectively as a huge Summon Night fan, especially because it's a crossover/celebration title that doesn't make the most sense if you're not already acquainted with all of the characters. That said, still has probably the highest production values of the current crop of SRPGs and a super fun battle and skill system with lots of optional content.

And iunno what else. I play literally every SRPG released but not many of them stick with me these days. If you're willing to go back to the PS2/PSP, then there's a ton of recommendations to make.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking video game this is. Literally the only reason I still have my Vita.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Been on a huge Tactics kick lately, returning to Knights of Lodis and finally digging into FFTA2 after getting a DSi XL from the BST thread.

Fae Tactics is also interesting, but reviews had me cool a bit.

Really excited for Tenderfoot Tactics that is releasing a couple weeks (Oct. 21) and will have a new demo available tomorrow with the whole Steam Indie showcase thing. It's a more Expressionistic take visually and I'm curious how that will feed directly into the battles - or, will it contrast the 'wobbly' ethereal presentation of the world with a calculated and tangible feel. Either way, it is unique in appearance and the deformation mechanics can open a can of worms (good and bad) for gameplay.

Have you played Fell Seal? Highly recommend that game. Probably the best Tactics game to come out recently.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
I almost never see this posted, but does anyone remember that awesome cinematic trailer they put out for the game before it's release?

Really wish it made it as an intro in the game.

Get chills and the urge to play the game every time I see it.

I assume this game is still totally worth playing? I was highly considering it for that $13.49 CAD price on my Vita a few weeks ago.

Yessssss.

Zephyx

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite SRPG. I think I spent 300 hours in total on the PSP version and 100+ hours on the PS1 version.