• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
So far I've really only built Speed Champions myself (and the Technic NASCAR Camaro). Can't wait to go through a different car build.

That is a shame about the doors but I'm sure there's some creative way to work around that (jam some shit in the door? lol ).

Yeah there are some fixes and alternate instructions out there that I intended to try but then I realized how little it would actually matter to how I have it on display so never ended up doing it.

ozhenson

May 26, 2022
I believe I've seen some people here talk about going to the Lego House in Billund. Does anyone have any travel tips regarding it?

We are just planning a vacation, and I'm wondering how smart it would be to try and structure things in a way that we can get there. Albeit, visiting Denmark would make renting a car seem vital, but as we've not been to Europe(from Canada) in a long long time, I don't actually know.

Anyone with stories of the Lego House, I would also love to hear.

jepense

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I believe I've seen some people here talk about going to the Lego House in Billund. Does anyone have any travel tips regarding it?

We are just planning a vacation, and I'm wondering how smart it would be to try and structure things in a way that we can get there. Albeit, visiting Denmark would make renting a car seem vital, but as we've not been to Europe(from Canada) in a long long time, I don't actually know.

Anyone with stories of the Lego House, I would also love to hear.
I've been there twice with my kids. I'm nordic, so it's not very long way away.

Billund is quite a small town, which has become touristy due to Lego. You have the original Legoland and some other family-oriented activities like the Lalandia water park. With kids, there's lots to do. For an adult Lego fan, Lego House is interesting but honestly there isn't much else to see in Billund. Of course, Copenhagen is not far. (Nothing is far in Denmark, since it's such a tiny country.)

The exhibition floor in Lego House has a central room with fan and professional creations on display. These include some pretty huge dinosaurs and landscapes. From there, you can access rooms with small building activities: make things with yellow bricks, make cars and race them, make buildings, make minifigs, make stop motion animation, program robots. That sort of stuff. All of the activities are kid friendly, so nothing too complex. Depending on the date, the house may be full of kids.

In addition to the exhibit and activities, there's a small museum in the basement and a shop and restaurant in the lobby floor. The restaurant is cool. You get a bag of Legos with the menu. Each dish corresponds to a piece, and you order by building something with the pieces of the food you want. They had really good fries when we last went.

Is it worth visiting? If you are going to Denmark and post in a Lego thread, yes, I'm sure you'll have a nice day there. It is mostly for children, but an adult will appreciate it as well. Is it worth a trip from Canada just to visit the Lego House. No. Is it worth a detour if you are visiting Europe. I can't say. Depends on what you will have to give up in order to make it happen.

Oct 25, 2017
D&D Minifigs leak

433321867_8014414928572703_380620747701454584_n.png

I want'em all.
Big same.

That dragon born looks nearly exactly like my first Baldur's Gate 3 character. And the aarakocra looks awesome.

View: https://imgur.com/a/VCOUfNn

ozhenson

May 26, 2022
I've been there twice with my kids. I'm nordic, so it's not very long way away.

Billund is quite a small town, which has become touristy due to Lego. You have the original Legoland and some other family-oriented activities like the Lalandia water park. With kids, there's lots to do. For an adult Lego fan, Lego House is interesting but honestly there isn't much else to see in Billund. Of course, Copenhagen is not far. (Nothing is far in Denmark, since it's such a tiny country.)

The exhibition floor in Lego House has a central room with fan and professional creations on display. These include some pretty huge dinosaurs and landscapes. From there, you can access rooms with small building activities: make things with yellow bricks, make cars and race them, make buildings, make minifigs, make stop motion animation, program robots. That sort of stuff. All of the activities are kid friendly, so nothing too complex. Depending on the date, the house may be full of kids.

In addition to the exhibit and activities, there's a small museum in the basement and a shop and restaurant in the lobby floor. The restaurant is cool. You get a bag of Legos with the menu. Each dish corresponds to a piece, and you order by building something with the pieces of the food you want. They had really good fries when we last went.

Is it worth visiting? If you are going to Denmark and post in a Lego thread, yes, I'm sure you'll have a nice day there. It is mostly for children, but an adult will appreciate it as well. Is it worth a trip from Canada just to visit the Lego House. No. Is it worth a detour if you are visiting Europe. I can't say. Depends on what you will have to give up in order to make it happen.
Thanks much for the reply! We certainly plan to tour other parts of Europe while there, so it's not our only stop. But we would be going out of our way to do so. Copenhagen would be in the cards as well.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The actual D&D set is a massive step down from the original idea.
The dragon wrapping around the tower was what made that set actually interesting for me.
I should be glad, though. That way I can save some money and not have to worry about where to display it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
The dragon wrapping around the tower was what made that set actually interesting for me.
I should be glad, though. That way I can save some money and not have to worry about where to display it.
Yeah, I'm really disappointed when comparing them. Ugh.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

The dragon wrapping around the tower looks cooler, but doesn't have the playability. This dragon can be used more flexibly in play scenarios as a dragon.

Gotta remember, people at Lego aren't just making sculptures even if that's more what adult fans want.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The dragon wrapping around the tower looks cooler, but doesn't have the playability. This dragon can be used more flexibly in play scenarios as a dragon.

Gotta remember, people at Lego aren't just making sculptures even if that's more what adult fans want.

it feels kinda like they could have done both a bit more? Like their playable ninjago dragons are pretty sturdy, but you should be able to design enough flex to wrap around and then clip onto the tower in a few places?

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I get that this is trying to target a different demographic and I totally understand that changes need to be made with ideas sets so that they fit into Lego's plans.
However, my guess would be that the D&D fanbase probably overlaps more with the "older" side of the Lego fanbase so a display set would seem more fitting than a play set targeting the slightly younger crowd. I'd say the younger crowd doesn't care about the license as much and would be just as happy with a regular medieval play set that came with a dragon, so giving the D&D fans something "cooler" to look at wouldn't have been a bad choice either.

I'm genuinely relieved, though that I don't need to try to make this work for me now. I know I'm not actually saving money... I'll probably just spend it on something even dumber anyways... xD

/edit:

On a different note, though:
I finally got my son to notice this very cool Ninjago set and he immediately wanted to have it.
I had this set in my sights for quite a while now because I love the color scheme of it:

71792_alt7.png

My son is in love with the bike / mech transformation.
He's way too young for the build (he's 3.5 yo), but enjoys playing with it and the figures.
Once he's done with it I will transfer it to my Lego shelf... >_>

Last edited:

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that this is trying to target a different demographic and I totally understand that changes need to be made with ideas sets so that they fit into Lego's plans.
However, my guess would be that the D&D fanbase probably overlaps more with the "older" side of the Lego fanbase so a display set would seem more fitting than a play set targeting the slightly younger crowd. I'd say the younger crowd doesn't care about the license as much and would be just as happy with a regular medieval play set that came with a dragon, so giving the D&D fans something "cooler" to look at wouldn't have been a bad choice either.

I'm genuinely relieved, though that I don't need to try to make this work for me now. I know I'm not actually saving money... I'll probably just spend it on something even dumber anyways... xD

Well there are two questions there: Are young people disinterested in D&D? I wouldn't know. Certainly older fans like it, but there's nothing about it that's inherently unappealing to younger fans. And second, is the licensee, Hasbro, trying to only cater to an existing market, or to promote and expand to a new one in addition to the existing one, because that's healthier for the brand they own long term?

Personally one of my favorite things about Lego's licensed sets is that they try to integrate the appeal of the original property into their builds: the swappable configurability of the Animal Crossing sets, the ability to actually have a little D&D adventure in the D&D set, etc. And that wraparound dragon was an awesome decoration but if I had it I'd probably wish I could actually do something with it.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Well there are two questions there: Are young people disinterested in D&D? I wouldn't know. Certainly older fans like it, but there's nothing about it that's inherently unappealing to younger fans. And second, is the licensee, Hasbro, trying to only cater to an existing market, or to promote and expand to a new one in addition to the existing one, because that's healthier for the brand they own long term?

Personally one of my favorite things about Lego's licensed sets is that they try to integrate the appeal of the original property into their builds: the swappable configurability of the Animal Crossing sets, the ability to actually have a little D&D adventure in the D&D set, etc. And that wraparound dragon was an awesome decoration but if I had it I'd probably wish I could actually do something with it.
Your second paragraph gave me that idea that actual D&D sets / maps built out of Lego would be super cool.
I'm a big fan of "scenes" or "set pieces". I would pay good money for a high quality The Last of Us set...

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Your second paragraph gave me that idea that actual D&D sets / maps built out of Lego would be super cool.
I'm a big fan of "scenes" or "set pieces". I would pay good money for a high quality The Last of Us set...
I..

You know you could just.. build them lol. They just gave you a bunch of monster ideas and figures to use even. It's not like any D&D adventure needs a bunch of specialized pieces, prints and stickers to be visualized.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
I..

You know you could just.. build them lol. They just gave you a bunch of monster ideas and figures to use even. It's not like any D&D adventure needs a bunch of specialized pieces, prints and stickers to be visualized.
Oh I know! I'm just not a good enough designer to make anything remotely good looking in that regard.
I did dabble a little with my Link to the Past scene and it was fun designing and then building it, but I don't have the time to actually commit to a project on the level I'm thinking about. I know there are some cool MOCs out there, but I don't even want to look because if I end up liking them I'm back to Bricklink spending hundreds of Euros spread across dozens of orders from all around the world where I have to check if all the parts are there and then I end up finding out during the build that pieces were missing from the list and I have to order extras and...

I want to go back to designing stuff again, but my new job doesn't allow me any downtime during the day (yet) so I'm just focusing on that for now.
I think I still have a LttP Hyrule Map project I started and gave up on because I couldn't make it work on an acceptable scale.
That would be a dream project that I would probably spend an ungodly amount of money on second hand bricks for...

/edit:
I need to just start counting studs and basically copy this design:
zelda_a_link_to_the_past_lego_map_nachbau.png

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh I know! I'm just not a good enough designer to make anything remotely good looking in that regard.
I did dabble a little with my Link to the Past scene and it was fun designing and then building it, but I don't have the time to actually commit to a project on the level I'm thinking about. I know there are some cool MOCs out there, but I don't even want to look because if I end up liking them I'm back to Bricklink spending hundreds of Euros spread across dozens of orders from all around the world where I have to check if all the parts are there and then I end up finding out during the build that pieces were missing from the list and I have to order extras and...

I want to go back to designing stuff again, but my new job doesn't allow me any downtime during the day (yet) so I'm just focusing on that for now.
I think I still have a LttP Hyrule Map project I started and gave up on because I couldn't make it work on an acceptable scale.
That would be a dream project that I would probably spend an ungodly amount of money on second hand bricks for...

/edit:
Were you the one posting that neat little Master Sword area set? Because if it was that, you don't have to feel bad about your design skills, you already beat like 90% of hobbyist builders!

I don't think btw that for a neat representation of any P&P "level" you'd need anything spectacular to make it look fun and playable. Not everything needs to be Ideas levels of displayability (which is why Lego themselves constantly "downgrades" them to make'em playable and better, imo).

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Were you the one posting that neat little Master Sword area set? Because if it was that, you don't have to feel bad about your design skills, you already beat like 90% of hobbyist builders!

I don't think btw that for a neat representation of any P&P "level" you'd need anything spectacular to make it look fun and playable. Not everything needs to be Ideas levels of displayability (which is why Lego themselves constantly "downgrades" them to make'em playable and better, imo).

It's not a lack of confidence or anything. Display space is very limited and I'd rather display something that looks amazing than something that's above average.
I think once our kids are a little older I'll be open to build more temporary play things for them to use as mini playgrounds for them to let their Imagination run wild in.

Not gonna lie, I sat here for a solid minute staring at this picture trying to figure out what that unrecognized map feature was near the Tower of Hera, before realizing it's just the top of a Coke bottle.
Haha yeah, took me a second at first as well.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Is it going to be added to the store for pre-order? Do we also know the piece count?

No preorder yet, but that's the listing.

Edit: also I see what they are going for with the open modular design. Still not for me but they are targeting something specific. Like an active play set for a higher age/cost group.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

April 4th? Why did I think it was April 1st? Either way, that's cool. I mean a month before May 4th which hopefully has some cool new sets.

So the set is called Dungeons & Dragons: Red Dragon's Tale, and I wonder when the Minifigs will release... hmmm... I want them all!

Also the set is 3745 pieces and priced at $360/£315 - which works out pretty good in terms of price per piece, that's a fairly big set price wise. Although it looks a bit steep compared to a set like Rivendell, which is 6167 pieces for $500/£430.

Anyways, look how fucking cute the minifigs are:
21348_alt9.png

Weirdly the page says 5 minifigs but there are clearly more than that.

3745, seems pretty hefty.

I really like it. Now that we have the dimensions, I just need to figure out where I can put it.
H: 19" (48cm)W: 15" (37cm)D: 12" (30cm)

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I believe it's the first for Insiders. 4th for non-members.
Ah perfect :D

Are the D&D Minifigures going up for sale the same day as far as people know?
God I hope so, they're blind bagged right? I want all 12 but knowing me if I buy 12 I'll get like 6 and 6 repeats.

Anyone know why they say 5 minifigs on the site in the set btw? There's at least 6 and kinda looks like 7 with multiple other enemy figures (inc skeletons).

ozhenson

May 26, 2022
Ah perfect :D

God I hope so, they're blind bagged right? I want all 12 but knowing me if I buy 12 I'll get like 6 and 6 repeats.

Anyone know why they say 5 minifigs on the site in the set btw? There's at least 6 and kinda looks like 7 with multiple other enemy figures (inc skeletons).

They're the new boxed mini figs, so as far as I know, no way to tell what you're going to get!

I bought 2 boxes of 6 of the Muppets figs from Amazon and got the entire set with no doubles. Maybe 2 consecutive boxes is the way to go! Though, I wouldn't mind a couple dupes of some of these ones.

Fumoffu

Sep 10, 2021
Are the D&D Minifigures going up for sale the same day as far as people know?

I think the minifigs are out in September.

As for the set itself, surprised it's $500AUD here in Australia as we normally get inflated prices and the official photos make it look more appealing. Have never been into D&D but could go well with the Fantasy/Medieval section I'm building though might bite if there is a deep discount. Got the Mountain Fortress pre-ordered so we'll. These sets are normally available for 1-2 years right?

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of blind bags/minifigs, I don't even know why retail stores stock them. Think every time I go by the lego isle at walmart they are all opened or crushed if they are there at all.

Fumoffu

Sep 10, 2021
If that's the case, they've gotta have other D&D themed sets to launch alongside 'em right? I feel like there's already a missed opportunity with no turning D&D into a theme and doing multiple small sets with this larger one.

I'm not too sure but the big set being branded Ideas makes me think this is one and done. Would love for them to bring back the castles theme, definitely a huge market for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
finished the MIDI falcon. Lovely build. Cute easter eggs as you build, and some nice surprises like how they get quite such finely tuned angles on the panels. slightly bigger than I thought too

IMG-0634.jpg

IMG-0635.jpg

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: also I see what they are going for with the open modular design. Still not for me but they are targeting something specific. Like an active play set for a higher age/cost group.

I'd imagine similar for buyers in USD, but the pricing for this in AUD is insane. Understand the added cost licensing, but I'd argue this is overpriced.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If that's the case, they've gotta have other D&D themed sets to launch alongside 'em right? I feel like there's already a missed opportunity with no turning D&D into a theme and doing multiple small sets with this larger one.
I really wouldn'T hope for it, there's absolutely no word on anything like that. Sometimes I don't understand Lego - imagine having this new overarching Space series alongside a new ongoing line of both Animal Crossing and D&D. They'd make a fucking killing like never seen before.

edit jesus, imagine like 4-6 smaller modular sets and you can build your little setups out of everything, and every pack comes with a small little adventure and dice.

jeeeeeeeeeeesus. This would potentially be bigger than Ninjago or Star Wars.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I really wouldn'T hope for it, there's absolutely no word on anything like that. Sometimes I don't understand Lego - imagine having this new overarching Space series alongside a new ongoing line of both Animal Crossing and D&D. They'd make a fucking killing like never seen before.
Tell me about it, it's painful. So many opportunities… missed. But hey we should also, I guess, be lucky we're getting anything cool.

Like I really want Zelda Lego and it seems like we're getting that, even if the first set seems a bit meh. I'd be down for many more sets in that theme so hopefully it turns into one.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Honestly Lego is oversaturating the market with what they have out already. Doesn't help that people make too many excuses for Lego to reach the point of ridiculousness. Hearing people in Lego store.saying adding more animals to the medieval village would devalue the set really boggled the mind in ways few things can.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
/edit:
So this map seems to be 144x144 studs, which would mean I'd be looking at 4.5x4.5 32x32 base plates or 9x9 16x16 base plates / regular plates.
Using base plates of any size (and without serious wear&tear) would be around 180-200€ just for those according to bricklink...
Using 16x16 regular plates would probably be cheaper (not by much) and less of a gamble quality wise...

My estimate would be that at that scale this could be a project costing thousands of Euros...
Now the question would be if it would be possible to scale it down to 50% or if this would make building the details too hard.
I might need to spend some time on some PoCs...
The prospect of splitting the map up into each region and designing / building / connecting them over a longer period of time seems very exciting, though...

Last edited:

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
So this map seems to be 144x144 studs, which would mean I'd be looking at 4.5x4.5 32x32 base plates or 9x9 16x16 base plates / regular plates.
Using base plates of any size (and without serious wear&tear) would be around 180-200€ just for those according to bricklink...
Using 16x16 regular plates would probably be cheaper (not by much) and less of a gamble quality wise...

My estimate would be that at that scale this could be a project costing thousands of Euros...
Now the question would be if it would be possible to scale it down to 50% or if this would make building the details too hard.
I might need to spend some time on some PoCs...
The prospect of splitting the map up into each region and designing / building / connecting them over a longer period of time seems very exciting, though...
Going altbricks route you could get this down to about $600-800 assuming you have some filler bricks for death mountain. Filling out a 12.x 8 foot pirate board and having a mountain that hits 40.5 inches above baseboards clues you in to costs on scale like this. 90% of the bricks used purchased in kg packs would not be near as much as you'd think at first.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Going altbricks route you could get this down to about $600-800 assuming you have some filler bricks for death mountain. Filling out a 12.x 8 foot pirate board and having a mountain that hits 40.5 inches above baseboards clues you in to costs on scale like this. 90% of the bricks used purchased in kg packs would not be near as much as you'd think at first.
Huh... Never thought about using alt bricks. Any good sources for them, especially ones shipping to Europe?

If this project ever sees the light of day it would be a wall mounted affair, so not going to fill anything out if I don't have to and might even glue some unstable structures...

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Huh... Never thought about using alt bricks. Any good sources for them, especially ones shipping to Europe?

If this project ever sees the light of day it would be a wall mounted affair, so not going to fill anything out if I don't have to and might even glue some unstable structures...
Webrick, wobrick, Aliexpress has a few sellers like apan sapio that are great for bulk, and more complicated slightly but maybe cheaper contacting youmko with a parts list that orders from gobricks direct. All will ship to EU, but I'm not sure on vat or other duties and if you'd have to supply TIN since it's an international sale. Aliexpress has second best sale of the year going on right now FYI. Baseboards, lvhero on Amazon, at least for US. For other US residents Dollar tree as well.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Webrick, wobrick, Aliexpress has a few sellers like apan sapio that are great for bulk, and more complicated slightly but maybe cheaper contacting youmko with a parts list that orders from gobricks direct. All will ship to EU, but I'm not sure on vat or other duties and if you'd have to supply TIN since it's an international sale. Aliexpress has second best sale of the year going on right now FYI. Baseboards, lvhero on Amazon, at least for US. For other US residents Dollar tree as well.
Thanks! Will keep them in mind for sure!

/edit: I hate aliexpress so much... They keep showing me special offers that limit items to one per customer and I can't even add the product to my cart for the regular price...

/edit2: Webrick ends up being 150€ for 4 kg of 16x16 plates incl. shipping compared to 200€ via Bricklink for new Lego plates from a domestic store.
Webrick will probably add another 20% import fee, which would bring the pretty much in line if you consider one is off-brand.
I'll definitely need to make some comparisons once and only if the project ever materializes. I'm guessing regular 2x4 bricks make much more of a difference than these plates, though so need to keep that in mind as well.

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I forgot if I asked: Does anyone know of a possibly non-LEGO build-your-minifig manufacturer (not looking single piece but more like x50) offering pure white heads/arms, full prints on face and torso, and out-of-the-ordinary hairstyles? I searched everywhere but didn't find one.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
I forgot if I asked: Does anyone know of a possibly non-LEGO build-your-minifig manufacturer (not looking single piece but more like x50) offering pure white heads/arms, full prints on face and torso, and out-of-the-ordinary hairstyles? I searched everywhere but didn't find one.
5000+ I might be able to point you in a direction, that's the minimum production run for some custom minis from overseas. They do not scale down unfortunately.