• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dbonyx

Oct 28, 2017
I am an absolutely massive fan of the Hulkbuster armor, but I honestly think I'll be getting the smaller cheaper set coming out over this one.

Something just looks off with this big one, like its limbs are too tall and skinny.

I agree the proportions are off. I think the legs are too skinny, feet too small. If someone modified this with instructions, I would get one in a heartbeat.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, I keep flip flopping about the UCS Hulkbuster. Originally I confused he Australian price with the US one, so I thought it was really overpriced. But $120 (US) isn't bad at all.

I don't love the overall look either, but I think it would be fun to get some extra pieces and modify it. Thicken up the arm joints, raise the legs up a bit and thicken them too, etc. Could be a fun project.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the torso is mainly just too tall. If it was 3-4 bricks shorter and the legs were 3-4 bricks longer it would look a lot better.

dbonyx

Oct 28, 2017
I think the torso is mainly just too tall. If it was 3-4 bricks shorter and the legs were 3-4 bricks longer it would look a lot better.

Using the head dome as scale, I think the torso needs to be about 2 studs wider and a few plates taller. Legs and feet need to be longer and bulked up. Overall figure needs bulking up for sure.

Bentbricks

Oct 26, 2017
Just noticed the Harry Potter gang has the short legs. Good thing those don't have prints and can easily be replaced.
Quite a few new moulds in that set. Those new wands are great. I expect we'll see the candle and flame show up in various sets going forward. LEGO is continuing to move down the path of creating new moulds to create more realistic depictions. Existing 1x1 round brick would suffice for a candlestick. I guess price hikes for sets is going towards paying for all the new moulds.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018...warts-great-hall-new-york-toy-fair-2018-news/

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed the Harry Potter gang has the short legs. Good thing those don't have prints and can easily be replaced.
Quite a few new moulds in that set. Those new wands are great. I expect we'll see the candle and flame show up in various sets going forward. LEGO is continuing to move down the path of creating new moulds to create more realistic depictions. Existing 1x1 round brick would suffice for a candlestick. I guess price hikes for sets is going towards paying for all the new moulds.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018...warts-great-hall-new-york-toy-fair-2018-news/

Maybe the short legs mean that particular set represents the first two books/movies and other sets/CMF would have older versions from those characters with normal legs?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to need pics of this

lego_downtowndiner_04.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Lego speeder bike because it's a great looking vehicle...and just noticed I have a Bandai 1/12 scale scout trooper/speeder bike kit sitting unbuilt. Doubt I have space for both

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Heh, someone needs to do a series of stormtroopers taking over a bunch of LEGO sets, like the yellow submarine and the Saturn v

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Wait so i am confused... after this HP reveal, wasn't there supposed to be a UCS style set as well? What is that gonna be if it isn't Hogwarts? Sure this is only the great hall and not
the whole thing, but they're not gonna do a bigger one that is this similar to the 99 bucks set are they?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait so i am confused... after this HP reveal, wasn't there supposed to be a UCS style set as well? What is that gonna be if it isn't Hogwarts? Sure this is only the great hall and not
the whole thing, but they're not gonna do a bigger one that is this similar to the 99 bucks set are they?

I don't think anyone knows for sure. I have this gnawing feeling the Great Hall set is the rumored bigger set just whoever leaked that rumor might have been confused. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check to avoid disappointment. I would like nothing more than for a large D2C Hogwarts Castle that this Great Hall set can combine with to make bigger.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I don't think anyone knows for sure. I have this gnawing feeling the Great Hall set is the rumored bigger set just whoever leaked that rumor might have been confused. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check to avoid disappointment. I would like nothing more than for a large D2C Hogwarts Castle that this Great Hall set can combine with to make bigger.

I see... would it even BE a large D2C Hogwarts Castle though WITHOUT a Great Hall on it's own?

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to finishing the Diner. It's up there for me on the list of favorite sets. Great details and techniques. Stairs, roof, windows... I don't think I could pick a favorite. Wish I didn't have to wait another year for a new modular. Still need a few of the older ones so I may go that route.

Started tearing down some of my Star Wars sets. I have too many! I really enjoy them but there are just too many to keep on display.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
How's it looking right now?

Still too many! I have a 4x4 IKEA shelf that is full of them, and the top of it is also out of space, and I still haven't built the new AT-AT from TLJ. Maybe a different kind of shelf is the answer.

I also had to tear down my Kwik-E-Mart and Simpsons CMFs.

My tendency to grab stuff on clearance means I never had a long term plan for storing this stuff.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Getting the Downtown Diner for my Birthday :D

I need to get into MOCs and create my own modular sets.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Great hall would probably be a parts pack for expansion if there's a massive Hogwarts. No way it doesn't have its own great hall unless it's a really specific subsection of the castle.

And they did they falcon in both play size and stupid size. Those of us who read HP as kids have paychecks now....

Though I'm also dreaming of hogsmeade and diagon alley sets.

Oct 26, 2017
I think Diagon Alley and Town Plan both are great, but they are deluxe City scale buildings. For us modular snobs, that's much too small :)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I got the Green Dragon Ninjago Movie build, and I'm super disappointed in the poseability of the dragon. I was expecting more vertical movements than horizontal. Ah well. it still looks cool on top of my PS4.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
If the first Diagon Alley set (one which I'd very much like to get my hands on) is anything to go by, it could be incredible!

10217-1.png

and i regret not developing a plastic problem a year sooner to snag a copy of it, but i was thinking more wallet-destroying.

I think Diagon Alley and Town Plan both are great, but they are deluxe City scale buildings. For us modular snobs, that's much too small :)

...yeah like modular diagon alley levels of wallet destroying

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok so it's time to Bat-Off!

JuKPS2l.jpg

ovjZecl.jpg

So this set has been on sale most places for around $64 in US. This set shows how absolutely ridiculous the price on that City Space Shuttle set was. Lots of big parts in this set, unique parts too. Not sure when we would get black space shuttle parts again.

Now for most AFOLS this is probably going to end up a unique parts pack. I can see kids having fun with this set though. Especially if they have a Batcave set. It's really nice to see Lego making these playsets connectable right out of the boxes.

PnBNz6f.jpg

I know a lot of people are going to want this set for these though. It's nice that this set basically comes with 6 minifigs. Unfortunately 3 are not unique at all. These three are unique as hell though. You are never going to see that Rastafarian head piece ever again. So my conclusion is while the set as a whole may not be super exciting there is a lot of unique shit here that I have a feeling will make this set one of those gems after it goes oop.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok so it's time to Bat-Off!

JuKPS2l.jpg

ovjZecl.jpg

So this set has been on sale most places for around $64 in US. This set shows how absolutely ridiculous the price on that City Space Shuttle set was. Lots of big parts in this set, unique parts too. Not sure when we would get black space shuttle parts again.

Now for most AFOLS this is probably going to end up a unique parts pack. I can see kids having fun with this set though. Especially if they have a Batcave set. It's really nice to see Lego making these playsets connectable right out of the boxes.

PnBNz6f.jpg

I know a lot of people are going to want this set for these though. It's nice that this set basically comes with 6 minifigs. Unfortunately 3 are not unique at all. These three are unique as hell though. You are never going to see that Rastafarian head piece ever again. So my conclusion is while the set as a whole may not be super exciting there is a lot of unique shit here that I have a feeling will make this set one of those gems after it goes oop.
Pretty awesome to me, and would normally be a space shuttle in my price range... but I'm on a super tight budget this month and I can't justify it :( that and outside of the building contest I'm really on a lego buying hold

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LEGOERA, I need your help!

It is my Birthday next week and my girlfriend got me my first modular - the Downtown Diner. I cannot wait to get stuck in.

I also wished to treat myself to another modular. I was considering either the Parisian Restaurant or the Assembly Square. Any recommendations??

It is hard to believe that out of all the thousands of sets I have ever had, I have never had a modular!

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
LEGOERA, I need your help!

It is my Birthday next week and my girlfriend got me my first modular - the Downtown Diner. I cannot wait to get stuck in.

I also wished to treat myself to another modular. I was considering either the Parisian Restaurant or the Assembly Square. Any recommendations??

It is hard to believe that out of all the thousands of sets I have ever had, I have never had a modular!

Parisian Restaurant is likely to retire first, so if you plan on getting all or most of them, that should be a priority!

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty awesome to me, and would normally be a space shuttle in my price range... but I'm on a super tight budget this month and I can't justify it :( that and outside of the building contest I'm really on a lego buying hold

It will probably be around for awhile yet and luckily even if it goes back up in price it will probably be on sale again before it goes OOP. Maybe even less who knows.

Haha, love how Saturn V is just casually peeking into the picture from the background all "yo what's up?"

Damn photo bombers!

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
SuperSah , as others said, go for Parisian Restaurant first. Now that you are in the modular trap, if you want more just start with the oldest set and work up as fast as you can. The catching up sucks and hurts, but after that it is smooth sailing.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for mini modulars series 2...

The only modular I owned was the fire station, but that changed recently as I bought the detective agency. It's a really fun build. Also tempted by the Diner.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halp.

So last Friday I picked up the UCS Falcon.

I was wondering how ideal it would be to trade it for a BNIB Super Star Destroyer and buy the Falcon again at a later date. Personally I'm a huge fan of the star destroyers (SSD and ISD). Its just hard to justify getting a SSD for the same price as a UCS Falcon for half the amount of pieces.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I would love for the next competition to have a mech theme... and use the parts of a Friends set.
WHat about racers? Also on the condition we can use a minifig from another set.
Actually, one of the elves dragon/creature sets would be interesting because it'd give us joints, but we'd have to be really creative otherwise