• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. So I gotta move and am now in the sad position of getting rid of some six or seven years worth of Lego fun with me and my kid. So I have about...idk, 40+ sets of various sizes, more minifigs than I can count, some of it assembled, some of it sorted into bags. I was going to just throw the lot onto eBay, but something tells me that might bring down all kinds of hell. So lovely fanatics, what do you think is the most hassle-free way to sell the lot?

Most hassle free is probably looking for some local reseller or advertising it as a lot locally with no assurances about what is or isn't complete. Basically anything that saves you on trying to figure out how to ship it all.

That said, depending on what you have you could have some real gems that fetch a lot by themselves. I would personally say it's worth your time to at least check some aftermarket pricing.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. So I gotta move and am now in the sad position of getting rid of some six or seven years worth of Lego fun with me and my kid. So I have about...idk, 40+ sets of various sizes, more minifigs than I can count, some of it assembled, some of it sorted into bags. I was going to just throw the lot onto eBay, but something tells me that might bring down all kinds of hell. So lovely fanatics, what do you think is the most hassle-free way to sell the lot?
Throw it up onto a spreadsheet and post it on this sites b/s/t thread. Offer it to us! Or any discord lego groups if you're in any. I would use eBay for anything that doesn't sell.

I've sold maybe half my hoard just on this site alone so you'd be surprised by what people want.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018

I know a ton of people who would be interested in looking at what you have (including me). At a minimum, you should post an imgur album!

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks all! I'll have to spend a day or two better organizing it, I suspect. I'll probably get as much of the existing manuals as I can posted up, run it past you guys, and then take to b/s/t here (which I conveniently forgot about!). Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I know the vibes, went through similar stuff a while back… tho I don't have the energy for eBay or a local listing so I'm probably taking it to the nearby bricks and minifigs(well when I'm back in the area) despite the lost cut

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all,

Quick question for you all…. Does anyone in this thread use a soft bristle paint brush to dust/clean their lego? If so, do you have one that you'd recommend? I'd like to get one that I can use to clean sets like Starry Night or The Great Wave and would like to not have to worry about damaging the set with a brush that is to hard.

Thanks All!!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all,

Quick question for you all…. Does anyone in this thread use a soft bristle paint brush to dust/clean their lego? If so, do you have one that you'd recommend? I'd like to get one that I can use to clean sets like Starry Night or The Great Wave and would like to not have to worry about damaging the set with a brush that is to hard.

Thanks All!!

I use a large makeup brush. But only really need it for awkward spaces. We have an ostrich feather duster for regular cleaning and I go over my exposed Lego with that once a week seems mostly ok

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks all! I'll have to spend a day or two better organizing it, I suspect. I'll probably get as much of the existing manuals as I can posted up, run it past you guys, and then take to b/s/t here (which I conveniently forgot about!). Anyways, thanks everyone for the advice!
If you got anything lotr related and just want to get rid of it without breaking bank, please post in EU working hours ;_;

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
On closer inspection, it's not as much as I thought, but hey, take a look.

Most of that is pretty standard lego - you could spend time parting sets out or sell as bulk for cheap if its easier. Some of the earlier speed champions might be worth checking used prices on

The detectives office I'd definitely make sure you have all the parts (and instructions if possible, didn't spot them) - retired modulars are worth decent money.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Fifteen stickers overall, and a tiny 1x1 sticker for a £200 set?

review-lego-75382-10.jpg

If you got anything lotr related and just want to get rid of it without breaking bank, please post in EU working hours ;_;

You interested in The Hobbit stuff by any chance? I still have several 2012 sets for The Hobbit, including:

brickset.com

LEGO 79003 An Unexpected Gathering

A The Hobbit set released in 2012.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get mine up soon. Will do bricklink eventually but try here first.

Have a bunch but if anyone is looking for a good value on an unopened ucs MF or AT AT I can tag you whe they go up

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Building Death Mountain hollowed out with multiple levels is absolutely melting my brain.
I'm completely stuck...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
don't know how legit but it looks real - someone posted a photo of an unannounced (but rumoured) lego space set from a random store in Taipei airport

spoilered just in case but I need to find space for this…

IMG-1692.jpg

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, that Artemis looks very nice. I collect all the NASA sets so I'll almost certainly have to get this.
Wonder what the scale is compared to the Saturn V.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Building Death Mountain hollowed out with multiple levels is absolutely melting my brain.
I'm completely stuck...
What's the brick heights involved? When I did my mountain I used 2x2x10 girder to build a standard height overall, then 6x6 plates on top, with various plates, starting out with 16x16, then smaller plates when I had to subtract height. Rinse and repeat until you get close to need total height then fill in the details once you have a bunch of the base form made.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
A couple of us have tried to do brick counting to judge total height of the new NASA set
and came up with around 34 inches.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of us have tried to do brick counting to judge total height of the new NASA set

Saturn V is 39" so that seems pretty much the same scale?

I'll struggle to be able to stand it up, and if I do I'll probably want to stand Apollo next to it. After I'd spent time rearranging my NASA display too.. Would go well with the shuttle too although I think the scale of that is off

edit: shuttle expedition is approximately the right scale so maybe I do a little display with those three somewhere separate and leave the big shuttle with the other sets

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That would make them roughly the same scale to their real life counterparts, right?

Quick Google search says the real Saturn V is 12% bigger than Artemis 1 which fits with the LEGO versions 39 inches to 34 inches

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
What's the brick heights involved? When I did my mountain I used 2x2x10 girder to build a standard height overall, then 6x6 plates on top, with various plates, starting out with 16x16, then smaller plates when I had to subtract height. Rinse and repeat until you get close to need total height then fill in the details once you have a bunch of the base form made.
I haven't even counted the max height in the source.
My strat so far was to build from the outer edge of the structure towards the inside and then going up level by level, but I can't seem to efficiently get it done.
I'm also not sticking to the original 1:1, but it's not helping.

I should probably just do it les efficiently and be done with it.
Trying not to build unnecessary structures inside the mountain is holding me back. If I just threw a bunch of bricks inside to build upon my life would be much easier, but I'm still trying to design this in a way where you wouldn't waste money on unnecessary bricks if you actually were to build it...

Here's the reference again:
gB3qWdH.png

This is how I want to build it:
Code:
     _____
 ___/    /
/  /    /

This would be the easy way:
Code:
     _____
 ___/____/
/  /    /

Having so many outcrops at different height levels is driving me crazy...

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My strat so far was to build from the outer edge of the structure towards the inside and then going up level by level, but I can't seem to efficiently get it done.

Trying not to build unnecessary structures inside the mountain is holding me back. If I just threw a bunch of bricks inside to build upon my life would be much easier, but I'm still trying to design this in a way where you wouldn't waste money on unnecessary bricks if you actually were to build it...

gB3qWdH.png

Code:
     _____
 ___/    /
/  /    /

Code:
     _____
 ___/____/
/  /    /

What on earth is this. I love it.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018

gB3qWdH.png

Code:
     _____
 ___/    /
/  /    /

Code:
     _____
 ___/____/
/  /    /

I can tell you with full confidence from experience that not having supports throughout will be a bad idea. Had to rebuild the big mountain of mine to add a lot of supports at a certain point because attaching top plates caused the whole thing to collapse into itself

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
I can tell you with full confidence from experience that not having supports throughout will be a bad idea. Had to rebuild the big mountain of mine to add a lot of supports at a certain point because attaching top plates caused the whole thing to collapse into itself
Your mountain is a completely different beast, but I think you are right.
I'll just space out vertical support beams inside, connect them at specific heights via big plates and then build my way up from there.
In the grand scheme of things it will probably not add much weight / cost to the project, but add a ton of structural integrity to it and it will actually make it much easier to build.

Thanks for undoing the knot in my brain that I had all day.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Um, guys, you're thinking way to hard on it. This set is legit and has been known about for a loooooong time.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
It would go so well with the Saturn V and the Discovery, but I just don't have any emotional attachment to the Artemis.

Now when someone figures out a MOC to make that tower fit the Saturn V...

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
That SW coffee book pricing is beyond insane.

Comparable size and page counts on any other subject matter, outside of Lego of course as well, wouldn't come close to that price point.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That SW coffee book pricing is beyond insane.

Comparable size and page counts on any other subject matter, outside of Lego of course as well, wouldn't come close to that price point.
Yes. But on the other hand, I've literally never seen a hobby where 90% of hobbyists were like "holy shit damn this is way too expensive" with almost every single thing coming out, but still buy all these things on day 1, sometimes even complaining about having no space to even put it anywhere, so of course Lego won't change anything and just see how high they can go.

Between the pricing tolerance, the absurdist, intentional eye covering of, and intentional work against any alternative brands and the unwillingness of accepting criticism of the brand itself, Lego fans are literally the best fan base any multi million company can ask for. And I say this as a general Lego fan as well.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
don't know how legit but it looks real - someone posted a photo of an unannounced (but rumoured) lego space set from a random store in Taipei airport

spoilered just in case but I need to find space for this…

IMG-1692.jpg

Just passed through this store on the way to my flight and it is definitely not there anymore - or anywhere else in the store.

Either someone bought it or they took it down.

Was really hoping it would be there as I definitely would have bought it.

Oh well, it will be out soon enough!

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. But on the other hand, I've literally never seen a hobby where 90% of hobbyists were like "holy shit damn this is way too expensive" with almost every single thing coming out, but still buy all these things on day 1, sometimes even complaining about having no space to even put it anywhere, so of course Lego won't change anything and just see how high they can go.

Between the pricing tolerance, the absurdist, intentional eye covering of, and intentional work against any alternative brands and the unwillingness of accepting criticism of the brand itself, Lego fans are literally the best fan base any multi million company can ask for. And I say this as a general Lego fan as well.

I think this really comes down to the crowd being Lego Star Wars fans specifically, doubt Castle enjoyers or Pirate ones would tolerate anything similar, though Lego wouldn't even give them the time of day for anything apart from large sets and no waves these days.

I'm hoping a standard release that comes out later then, akin to the recent LEGO Space: 1978 - 1992 book. Praying that Tim Johnson is working on a Castle: 1978 - 2013 or Pirates: 1989-2015 volume.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think this really comes down to the crowd being Lego Star Wars fans specifically, doubt Castle enjoyers or Pirate ones would tolerate anything similar, though Lego wouldn't even give them the time of day for anything apart from large sets and no waves these days.
of course, yes. I would pay (and have paid) way too much for idk LOTR stuff or Animal Crossing and shit, but wouldn't even think about Star Wars or Potter. But yea, for these license specific sets, I'm naturally talking about license specific fans.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Lego and Nintendo have some of the most overally dedicated fans that become pretty toxic as a result. I've been knee-deep in both and the amount of slightly on the spectrum fans(myself included) that have a religious level of devotion that's damn near unshakeable, and have fans willing gaslight themselves is what most companies dream of.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a bit of a long shot, even in here since I feel like these things are kind of niche but it doesn't hurt to check. I'm reconfiguring some display space which is going to allow me to build and display both 76161 (89 Batwing) and 76139 (89 Batmobile). I really don't care for the display options they come with and was thinking about something acrylic so they can get a little more dynamic and just don't look like black blobs. Anyone bought anything like this before? Got a website or vendor that you recommend?

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a bit of a long shot, even in here since I feel like these things are kind of niche but it doesn't hurt to check. I'm reconfiguring some display space which is going to allow me to build and display both 76161 (89 Batwing) and 76139 (89 Batmobile). I really don't care for the display options they come with and was thinking about something acrylic so they can get a little more dynamic and just don't look like black blobs. Anyone bought anything like this before? Got a website or vendor that you recommend?

Are you sure you want both in one display? The Batwing is one of the best non art sets for wall mounting and depending on your wall colors it should be a nice contrast. The Batwing is just such an odd shape that it's a hard display otherwise.

And I was just happy that the Batmobile fit into one of my ikea Rudsta. It is black though so doesn't stand out, just a place for me to store it.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure you want both in one display? The Batwing is one of the best non art sets for wall mounting and depending on your wall colors it should be a nice contrast. The Batwing is just such an odd shape that it's a hard display otherwise.

And I was just happy that the Batmobile fit into one of my ikea Rudsta. It is black though so doesn't stand out, just a place for me to store it.

Not 100% sure, but I'll have this spot where I can put this Batman statue I have and I was thinking of having these two pieces flank him. Which is why I wasn't initially considering wall mounting the Batwing. I have seen it wall mounted and it does look really nice though.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

Wall Mount all the things.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
How do you go about wall mounting the Batmobiles? I did the 76139 Batmobile and I did not see any mounting holes...

There's not aha. Only the Batwing has. I made a loop of paracord around the front axle and have that on anchor in the wall. Had them + Technic cars vertical on the wall for 3+ years now without fail.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Nien Nunb as the final anniversary figure and it looks so much like the cheapest dollar tree knockoff that it's quite frankly embarrassing.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
This past weekend I built the Venator, I also have the Falcon and Star Destroyer to build soon too!
This was a fun build though, building the frame and then adding to it and seeing how everything attached, I had a lot of fun, my Saturday and Sunday were very Lego focused.

View: https://twitter.com/FireDragon04/status/1782059147963314215

Is that a custom stand for the Venator? Also, is the red really that red? I kinda expected a darker red like that of the Corsucant Guard Ship.