• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U392qMVTnTQ

fuck yes Jang finally looking into non-Lego. Maybe it can finally pick up in the US as well, after EU has long seen the light.

I picked up this Cada model about a month ago and finally built it this past week, nice to see Jang reviewed it as well:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m612AHf5rH8

Not bad for about $23.

That said, it does have a lot of decals, a few which go over a few parts at a time (considered to be a cardinal sin to Lego fans), but I think it's fine.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Built the new Audi S1 e-tron car yesterday. So bizarre; lots of stickers (expected), but then there's a handful of pieces that are prints. Why not just print them all?

In any case, it's a cool looking car. I looked it up online afterwards; I didn't realize it was Ken Blocks new Hoonigan ride. Should be neat when it shows up in the next gymkhana video.

Mathi

Oct 25, 2017
While I haven't seen it myself, somebody high up in the leaker community has seen it and confirmed open back. They didn't go into more details than that sadly, but I have no reason to doubt them. Sounds like extra precautions are being taken before leaks to make sure their sources don't get fingered.
I would be really surprised if it doesn't leak within the next few weeks. I hope some store just puts it up early like the Avengers Tower or the Artemis.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Built the new Audi S1 e-tron car yesterday. So bizarre; lots of stickers (expected), but then there's a handful of pieces that are prints. Why not just print them all?

It's just budget. Printed pieces need to justify their existence usually by appearing in multiple sets - that's why you get a mix. A good example of this also is when Sonic was a one-off Lego Ideas set, pretty iconic multi-use Sonic things were stickers. As soon as it was a whole range, where designs could reappear, the new Sonic sets feature no stickers at all. Because a lot of it is branded and the branding is different from one car to the next the Speed Champions sets sadly usually are replete with stickers

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
It's just budget. Printed pieces need to justify their existence usually by appearing in multiple sets - that's why you get a mix. A good example of this also is when Sonic was a one-off Lego Ideas set, pretty iconic multi-use Sonic things were stickers. As soon as it was a whole range, where designs could reappear, the new Sonic sets feature no stickers at all. Because a lot of it is branded and the branding is different from one car to the next the Speed Champions sets sadly usually are replete with stickers

I get the cost part, but the printed pieces - there is one with the Audi logo (1x2 cheese slope), and then a few curved prints that are only in this set. Just did a quick review on BL, I think all of the printed pieces are only in this set. Could change in the future, but these printed pieces seem pretty specific to a small car build (and an Audi one at that).

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I get the cost part, but the printed pieces - there is one with the Audi logo (1x2 cheese slope), and then a few curved prints that are only in this set. Just did a quick review on BL, I think all of the printed pieces are only in this set. Could change in the future, but these printed pieces seem pretty specific to a small car build (and an Audi one at that).

very small pieces they don't do many stickers for, and complex curves (so curves on two axes) they tend to print

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

They're all only in that set right now, but probably there's sets in development with the same piece... that's usually how it goes. Like, if it's just the Audi logo, and not specifically the name of the car/model, it'll probably be used on a future SC set.

It is disappointing how bad SC is as a series for stickers though. One of the worst

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
art-space-31212-the-milky-way-found-in-store-v0-j3gwennfriwc1.jpg
art-space-31212-the-milky-way-found-in-store-v0-t4h2yzdfriwc1.jpg

May well be the odd person out in this thread, but I actually really love the look of this!

I already have three LEGO sets up on my wall, and have been contemplating taking them down and replacing them with something bigger (like the Milky Way), given that I sit a considerable distance away from those, and are pleasing to look at the further away you are.

IMG-3507.jpg

And these (big) art sets are not something you finish in a single sitting — you build a square block at a time, or even have a friend or family member do the other one at the same time, a 'bonding' set, if you will.

And the sheer variety of wildly different pieces is a MOCs dream … 😊

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Posted it in the AC Lego Announcement thread but thought I'd post it over here too; New AC Lego Sets are coming Aug 1st

GMGRlH3XwAICduc

Town Hall looks like its probably going to be a very big set. Just sucks because Audie is my favorite new villager lmfao
I think thats probably the most important pieces if someone is making their own AC Lego Village. I'd wager we'll probably see the Museum as the next set and that would have to be a really big and expensive one.

Hopefully we'll see more standalone houses or maybe some kind of "make a house" set where you can mix and match pieces to design your own home?
Oh! Just in case anyone missed out on the Maple's Pumpkin Patch polybag set, its available at Target now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I can survive without both, but would be tempted to bricklink KK and Audie. Those fiags are pretty cute though

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Posted it in the AC Lego Announcement thread but thought I'd post it over here too; New AC Lego Sets are coming Aug 1st

GMGRlH3XwAICduc

Town Hall looks like its probably going to be a very big set. Just sucks because Audie is my favorite new villager lmfao
I think thats probably the most important pieces if someone is making their own AC Lego Village. I'd wager we'll probably see the Museum as the next set and that would have to be a really big and expensive one.

Hopefully we'll see more standalone houses or maybe some kind of "make a house" set where you can mix and match pieces to design your own home?
Oh! Just in case anyone missed out on the Maple's Pumpkin Patch polybag set, its available at Target now.
T5bYSOg.png

..is this a sticker over multiple parts? Or a print over multiple parts? Or one big part with a print?

edit: about the Town Hall being especially big, I don't think it is. Looks about the same as Nook's to me. Don't forget these aren'T really houses and more of a facade, so the clock tower is just one 4x1 row of bricks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
T5bYSOg.png

..is this a sticker over multiple parts? Or a print over multiple parts? Or one big part with a print?

edit: about the Town Hall being especially big, I don't think it is. Looks about the same as Nook's to me. Don't forget these aren'T really houses and more of a facade, so the clock tower is just one 4x1 row of bricks.

big printed part? like a wall panel or similar 4x3? I'm sure we've seen similar in Ninjago or other builds.

edit: Quite a few 1x4x3 printed wall panels in sets - surprised me a bit how many there were.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/search.page?q=Panel 1 x 4 x 3 with Side Supports#T=A

Last edited:

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might be missing something, but to my memory none of the Nintendo sets have had stickers. Unless you count the pre applied bar codes on Mario enemies and such

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I might be missing something, but to my memory none of the Nintendo sets have had stickers. Unless you count the pre applied bar codes on Mario enemies and such

It's an age thing. They don't put stickers in sets aimed at the youngest audiences because they're difficult for younger kids to apply right. That's why you see few stickers in the 'entry level' Lego City sets that target like 4-8 year olds or whatever, but then lots of stickers in 12+ sets. But I think AC, like Mario and Sonic, is probably intended to start quite young, so they dodge stickers.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Dont forget that Nintendo in general also has high standards in any partnership they enter into, so it has more levels than just age.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what I heard as well, if a partnered company says no stickers it's no stickers. Others don't really care or they do the cheaper option, no beef intended.

I'm at a Lego point where I have little tolerance for stickers. I wish the box would disclose what's required in that manner. I just want sets that have none, or nearly none. Alternatively, I'm cool with a set that just looks good without.

BMW set 76922 really put me over the edge.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
I'm at a Lego point where I have little tolerance for stickers. I wish the box would disclose what's required in that manner. I just want sets that have none, or nearly none. Alternatively, I'm cool with a set that just looks good without.
Last post I'm making in stickers for a looong time. The amount of apologists for stickers and various other cost cutting measures is ridiculous for a company that makes as much as Lego does now a days. Once I saw somebody arguing that including more animals in the recent Medieval set would have devalued the set, and that's when I asked to be banned from a certain reddit. Even worse when some altbrick clones just do prints instead of stickers on some of those same sets.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

BMW set 76922 really put me over the edge.
Same same. Especially with licenses it's incredibly annoying when the entire licensed part is a glorified sticker sheet and, if you're very lucky, two additional pages in the instructions. Just one reason I bought AC stuff, but can't care for the d&d set I was so hyped about.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My wife actually really likes applying the stickers, and can't believe it whenever I bring up how folks on the Internet don't care for them. If it's a set I care about, applying them gives me anxiety though, so she at least gets to do all of mine.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My wife actually really likes applying the stickers, and can't believe it whenever I bring up how folks on the Internet don't care for them. If it's a set I care about, applying them gives me anxiety though, so she at least gets to do all of mine.

I was SO, SO hyped about the BMW set due to a personal experience with the M4. I got it, saw the stickers, boxed it back up.

My son's girlfriend also loves the stickers, so sets like this get shelved until the strange times that she and I are hanging out. It's not often.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Once I got better at applying stickers, I stopped minding about them so much.

The sticker application method I use is to put the corner of a sticker on the edge of a brick separator. That gives me enough leverage to position it steadily, I don't grease it up too much with my fingers, and if I take my time I can even reposition it if I start sticking it and I noticed it's getting lopsided.

But obviously if I can get a set without stickers I'm definitely happier. The Saturn V is still one of my favorite sets ever and it has tons of printed pieces.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Yeah, that's what I heard as well, if a partnered company says no stickers it's no stickers. Others don't really care or they do the cheaper option, no beef intended.

It's not like Nintendo has said no stickers outright though, as a handful of the Mario sets have them. The NES has 'em as well. It's largely just about cost balance I think. And age is a definite factor; they don't like putting stickers in sets aimed at younger kids, and rarely do. I just think they decided AC might skew both younger and more casual, so they decided it wasn't a sticker-appropriate line.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I use tweezers. I don't mind the concept of stickers. Just Lego's specifics can grate
- poor colour matching when used as small details with huge background of a flat colour going over a similar colour brick. Why not use a transparent backing?
- size - especially bad on speed champions - lego has big margins around the stickers so they don't go right up to the edge. Combine with multiple bricks and stickers next to each other and it can often be impossible to actually line them up - if they match on one side they won't reach on the other. Could be addressed with larger stickers, or perhaps designing around the issue with slightly more printed bricks to bridge those gaps (eg in between two stickers)

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's not like Nintendo has said no stickers outright though, as a handful of the Mario sets have them. The NES has 'em as well. It's largely just about cost balance I think. And age is a definite factor; they don't like putting stickers in sets aimed at younger kids, and rarely do. I just think they decided AC might skew both younger and more casual, so they decided it wasn't a sticker-appropriate line.
The NES stickers are only for parts where the actual system has stickers as well though. Everything that'S printed on an actual NES is also printed on the bricks.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Once I got better at applying stickers, I stopped minding about them so much.

The sticker application method I use is to put the corner of a sticker on the edge of a brick separator. That gives me enough leverage to position it steadily, I don't grease it up too much with my fingers, and if I take my time I can even reposition it if I start sticking it and I noticed it's getting lopsided.

But obviously if I can get a set without stickers I'm definitely happier. The Saturn V is still one of my favorite sets ever and it has tons of printed pieces.
I use a soapy water method, but I also use the brick separator to lift them up and put them down. But one thing I learned is to not use the brick separator on clear-backed stickers because it leaves a mark where you had it on the separator. But if it's going on a white piece then the mark doesn't show.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Here's my reminder to look into water slide decals. If you have a color printer, either inject or laser, spray clear coat and micro set, micro sol, you have the closest thing to printed you can get, and looks a heck of a lot better than stickers. I reached the point of either scanning stickers, or finding scans on line, sell the sticker sheet once prices go up a bit, and get better results. Then you get all the custom minifig possibilities, and it can almost pay for itself depending on the amount of sets you pick up.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Anyone have last years X-Wing UCS? Thinking about getting it during the 4x VIP next week, but reviews says it's a bit fragile. I've got the previous UCS X-Wing still on display.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have last years X-Wing UCS? Thinking about getting it during the 4x VIP next week, but reviews says it's a bit fragile. I've got the previous UCS X-Wing still on display.

The panels around the rear body where the wings come out are pretty loosely attached so if you grab it there something will likely come off but it's rather easy to just... not do that. I handle it regularly for dusting and I've never had that happen. I will say the wing mechanism really sucks. It works fine, no problem, but the wings are super loose/floppy and much more droopy compared to the 2013 version. I get the whole thing is a redesign from the ground up but I wish they could've just kept the wing mechanism as it was =X.

All that said, the visual upgrade is huge. It looks so much better overall.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
After a long pause I finally finished Assembly Square!

That last step must have pushing to 1000 pieces itself. Absolutely crazy and the main reason I had such a long pause as I needed a free afternoon.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
The panels around the rear body where the wings come out are pretty loosely attached so if you grab it there something will likely come off but it's rather easy to just... not do that. I handle it regularly for dusting and I've never had that happen. I will say the wing mechanism really sucks. It works fine, no problem, but the wings are super loose/floppy and much more droopy compared to the 2013 version. I get the whole thing is a redesign from the ground up but I wish they could've just kept the wing mechanism as it was =X.

All that said, the visual upgrade is huge. It looks so much better overall.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably pull the trigger on it; considering swapping out the red for a different CW. Maybe I can have a "Blue Three" or something next to Red Five.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a new X-wing being teased in a 25th anniversary video. Someone said it might be part of an 'ugly' pack with a TIE fighter, but it looked like a really nice smaller sized x-wing. I've already sold my UCS TIE and am happy with the smaller one, this potentially lets me either sell or at least break down my 2013 UCS X-wing and move to a smaller one to save space. (Also the MIDI Millenium falcon is enough for me so I'll sell my UCS one - still in its shipping box due to lack of display space)

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Last post I'm making in stickers for a looong time. The amount of apologists for stickers and various other cost cutting measures is ridiculous for a company that makes as much as Lego does now a days. Once I saw somebody arguing that including more animals in the recent Medieval set would have devalued the set, and that's when I asked to be banned from a certain reddit. Even worse when some altbrick clones just do prints instead of stickers on some of those same sets.
Oh, I didn't know this was a thing. Do you have a link to that stuff?

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Oh, I didn't know this was a thing. Do you have a link to that stuff?
Mostly situational, like one of the better Optimus prime clones that were printed instead of stickers. There are times where altbricks sets decide that stickers aren't worth the effort for the pennies saved. Some of the original technic high end car do this as well. I think much more direct info than that due to being clone sets would enter the darker gray areas that would justifiably ruffle some feathers here. Aliexpress does have some medieval and city signs printed instead stickers covering stickers over the course of many years, along with some customs.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly situational, like one of the better Optimus prime clones that were printed instead of stickers. There are times where altbricks sets decide that stickers aren't worth the effort for the pennies saved. Some of the original technic high end car do this as well. I think much more direct info than that due to being clone sets would enter the darker gray areas that would justifiably ruffle some feathers here. Aliexpress does have some medieval and city signs printed instead stickers covering stickers over the course of many years, along with some customs.
Ah ok, thanks

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Lots of interesting bits with Lego ideas, both with the 80's and the other with the sets that hit 10,000. I'd be shocked if the Beetlejuice house doesn't happen. Goonies just doesn't work for me with the ship but I think it's waaay too big to happen. Castle fans might be proving me wrong and are forcing Lego to bend to the will of those stubborn bastards. Pirates fans, you have a blueprint to go off of!

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Still debating if I want to pick up anything for May the Fourth. The GWPs are kind of neat, but I don't know what I want to buy to actually get them.. lol.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
I'm keeping my eyes open on altbricks site Vonado, if they have the free shipping again, stacked with a 20% new customer coupon, there's probably not a better time to dip your toes into altbricks.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
This was a discussion on a forum that no longer exists before. The altbricks market from Lepin, Loz, Sembo, amongst many other brick companies helped fuel a lot of Ninjago and monkey kid ideas, by creating sets in an area that Lego themselves rarely dipped their toes in. Mech mocs are/were so popular popular that eventually Lego decided to make money by making them themselves. The rise of asian architecture in official sets were due to Loz style mini modules. See what the "competition" is doing and take the ideas has fueled a lot of growth in so many styles of sets, and building techniques that I always roll my eyes now when people act like altbricks didn't earn their place.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Lots of interesting bits with Lego ideas, both with the 80's and the other with the sets that hit 10,000. I'd be shocked if the Beetlejuice house doesn't happen. Goonies just doesn't work for me with the ship but I think it's waaay too big to happen. Castle fans might be proving me wrong and are forcing Lego to bend to the will of those stubborn bastards. Pirates fans, you have a blueprint to go off of!
In some good news the 80's first round got relaunched due to a lot of justified complaints that they violated their own only one set from each submitter rule.(they originally approved 2 sets from one person)
image.png

Karate kid got swapped with a rather cool HISK set.

Sigh definitely hope for round 2 there's no movies and no location sets. Already exhausted by it on this one. So many crazy and wild random builds in the contest and this round is kinda homogeneous in type. The 80's isn't just movies you know. Not that I expect mine to make it tho

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
In some good news the 80's first round got relaunched due to a lot of justified complaints that they violated their own only one set from each submitter rule.(they originally approved 2 sets from one person)
image.png

Karate kid got swapped with a rather cool HISK set.

Sigh definitely hope for round 2 there's no movies and no location sets. Already exhausted by it on this one. So many crazy and wild random builds in the contest and this round is kinda homogeneous in type. The 80's isn't just movies you know. Not that I expect mine to make it tho
Two things about this controversy. Delusion Brick is still not going to win over the Beetlejuice house, having two entrants would have made it more likely to have somebody sneak in a win. Second is how many people wanted to tar and feather Delusion and called him a bunch of nasty shit when he didn't drop out(some were demanding that he be disqualified entirely) when many contestants in the past entered multiple sets each year. Just so happens that Lego messed up, and some people couldn't accept that, so the pivoted to attacking Delusion, tribal style. I am so glad to be divorced of the contest nonsense