• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
10557_Leica_M6_front_Summillux-M_35_front_RGBcopy_1024x1024.jpg

New analog addition to the Leica M family

For more than 100 years, Leica Camera AG has been a synonym for cameras and lenses with permanent values such as reliability, consistency, and quality. With analog photography experiencing a renaissance – the new Leica M6 represents Leica Camera's continued commitment to these values.

The Leica M6 from 2022 relies on a modern version of the Leica M rangefinder with a 0.72x magnification. Furthermore, all of its optical surfaces are now coated and thus less sensitive to stray light. The light meter in the latest M6 now shows the correct exposure via a red dot in addition to the two arrow symbols originally used. Additionally, it is equipped with a battery warning indicator. The top cover has also been redesigned: while the cover of the preceding model was made of diecast zinc, it is now milled from solid brass and enhanced with an abrasion-resistant black lacquer. The exposure meter in the M6 measures light via a brightened area on the mechanically controlled cloth shutter. Like the original from 1984, the new edition of the M6 is also adorned with the red Leitz logo.

The M6 remains true to itself and preserves all other typical character traits such as the slanted rewind crank for the film. Handmade in Germany, it is an extremely reliable companion for all those who appreciate the lasting and contemplative nature of analog photography.

Only $5,295 without a lens.
In any case, as a total mark for film photography, I'm happy to know the resurgence has companies making "new" film cameras.

Only problem is it's just the ultra-low end like holga and kodak, or ultra-high end like leica. Canon stopped making film cameras in 2018 and Nikon stopped making film cameras in 2020.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eCcJ_o3oY

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What are current used m6 prices?

Anyway I feel like a lot of the pleasure from film cameras, at least imo, is the operational simplicity. Almost wish there was a fuji x100 series but just without a screen and literal any on camera controls that wouldn't be present on a comparable 35mm rangefinder. Just connect it to a PC to transfer photos instead of dealing with film development.

OP
OP
sixteen-bit

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
What are current used m6 prices?

Anyway I feel like a lot of the pleasure from film cameras, at least imo, is the operational simplicity. Almost wish there was a fuji x100 series but just without a screen and literal any on camera controls that wouldn't be present on a comparable 35mm rangefinder. Just connect it to a PC to transfer photos instead of dealing with film development.
id be surprised if you could get one for under $2k. at least that's what i remember not that long ago. and that's without a lens
Yeah they're more like $3.5K now

hey, signal Leica's M10-D sounds like what you're looking for. No-screen digital rangefinder, compatible with M-mount lenses from the past 70 years or so. Rare and expensive as hell though.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope a manufacturer takes a stab at producing a reasonable consumer priced film camera in the next couple years. There's no reason we should have assumed this would be anything other than a limited edition collector product. Leica isn't that company.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that film is coming back. How are people developing their shots these days? I'd love to get back into non-instant film (I have an instax mini 40) but I always hated waiting for prints from Walgreens. Would love to grab one of those cheap Kodaks and develop at home, but that sounds like a huge pain in the ass for a hobby I may not do that often.

Makes me wonder if we'll start to see (younger) millenials and zoomers start to fully embrace the nostalgia and become film elitists.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Holy shit at that price.

I bet I could get one of the originals from family, I bet at least one person I know probably has the original gathering dust somewhere.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
It's wild that film is coming back. How are people developing their shots these days? I'd love to get back into non-instant film (I have an instax mini 40) but I always hated waiting for prints from Walgreens. Would love to grab one of those cheap Kodaks and develop at home, but that sounds like a huge pain in the ass for a hobby I may not do that often.

Makes me wonder if we'll start to see (younger) millenials and zoomers start to fully embrace the nostalgia and become film elitists.

I get film developed and printed at a local shop in the same day.

Films gotten hard and expensive to get though because of the increasing popularity

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

I develop and (DSLR) scan at home. Cinestill sells a decent enough monobath that makes dev really easy at home for black and white. They also sell any c41 process chems you would need. Get a tank, changing bag and you're good to go. Just need a way to digitize your negatives. I use my immersion circulator for temperature control. Works perfect.

I think the younger generation is already onto early digital point and shoot nostalgia. I think the film resurgence has had a big road block this last year with film scarcity. Everyone wants to shoot Portra and Portra is sold out everywhere or costs a ridiculous amount.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I never understood the appeal of paying a crazy amount for a Leica. It seems everything they make is super expensive just because of the brand name.

For black and white I've always just developed it myself since its not too hard, but I'm used to it since I started doing it in high school when I took photography classes. Color I just take it to my local camera shop, and luckily there's one in my city that does film.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

Here in Dallas there are a couple local film developers that I use. It's pretty expensive because of how niche film still is, and turnaround time is about a week, but the results are great.

The great thing about getting into film cameras is that the used cameras themselves are pretty cheap. Can get a pretty good one for under 200.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
If I ever want to go back to film, I still have my old Canon Elan IIe in a drawer somewhere, and an older Nikon FG.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Why are film cameras popular again? Is there a objetive advantage compared with the digital ones?

There's something still to be said about the dynamic range of film (specifically black and white) and the tonal roll off from highlights. These things can be emulated in digital within post but it takes some work. Otherwise is purists and hobbyists attached to the process of developing film.

I'm assuming this is an SLR? Or point and shoot?

It would be a traditional rangefinder I would think

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Wait, an used M6 is going how much now???? I gave mine to my cousin a few years ago since I use my M9 and a7 most of the time now. It was going for less $1000 back then.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I have an MP so have little reason to get this, but it's cool that Leica is doing it.

May end up getting the steel rim reissue, though.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Got excited coming into the thread
Then looked at the price...

Holy shit at that price.

I bet I could get one of the originals from family, I bet at least one person I know probably has the original gathering dust somewhere.

The official camera brand of the well-to-do optometrist. Their lenses are bangers though.
The original M6 cost $1695 in 1984, adjust for inflation today and it's almost $5000, so it's not all lifestyle branding. It was justifiable because the camera bodies last decades. I do wish the digital bodies are cheaper though.

Yeah way too much đź’¸
Or maybe the Fujifilm X-Pro 3?

Ă„lg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Cashing in on the hype I guess.
I'm assuming this is an SLR? Or point and shoot?
It's a rangefinder.
Why are film cameras popular again? Is there a objetive advantage compared with the digital ones?
They're just neat! Some people like the unique process of shooting on film, some people like the image results that you can get with minimal post-processing, some people probably just like the a e s t h e t i c s of the whole thing, but there are aren't any objective advantages, no.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
The original M6 cost $1695 in 1984, adjust for inflation today and it's almost $5000, so it's not all lifestyle branding. It was justifiable because the camera bodies last decades. I do wish the digital bodies are cheaper though.

Yeah. The M cameras are pretty much indestructible. I've seen a M3 that survived a drop in the Himalayas. The glasses are all cracked but the shutter and film advance mechanism still work.

M9s are pretty "affordable" now by Leica standard. It's not the greatest in low light but still very capable.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the reason to get this instead of the MP?

At this point, seems to be purely preference.

I know some folks really struggle actually USING the MP due to its black paint finish and ease of scratching. But for me, I really like the patina.

M6 has a different winder and a slightly more "hardened" aesthetic, versus the MP being a bit more "Fancy" looking.

But basically this is more of an M-A with a light sensor.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Are they?

It's more expensive than ever, no one is making new cameras, film is still difficult to find locally. I wish they were truly popular, it would be great to be able to grab film easily or buy a camera that isn't 50 years old. To be clear, I'm not complaining about vintage gear at all, but it's all incredibly expensive post-2020.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost wish there was a fuji x100 series but just without a screen and literal any on camera controls that wouldn't be present on a comparable 35mm rangefinder. Just connect it to a PC to transfer photos instead of dealing with film development.

Isn't the X-Pro 3 basically this? Also, on the X100V at least you can set the camera to keep the LCD off all the time and only use the optical viewfinder? That obviously doesn't do away with the menu button for example, but it's very close to what you are asking.