Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was an interesting choice

variety.com

Leonardo DiCaprio in Final Talks to Star in and Produce MGM’s ‘Jim Jones’ Movie

Oscar-winner Leonardo DiCaprio is in final talks to play religious cult leader Jim Jones in MGM's upcoming movie written by Scott Rosenberg.

leo-jim-jones.jpg

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I hope it covers his early days when he was a door to door monkey salesman.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame it's not Jared Leto. That dude's been method acting for a long time now, in preparation to play a cult leader. Oh wait, that's n..

the Leto hate is always amusing but he's actually a legitimately respected actor in the industry, all the great actors have multiple horrible performances

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly can see this being a good Oscar performance for him, it's a pretty big one man show

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Jonestown has been a topic that I've studied over the last couple decades going back to my undergrad and graduate studies. It's sad how over time so many of the events including the psychological and sociological understanding of the events have been minimized… I wince every time I hear the phrase "drink the kool-aid" considering many in Jonestown including children were likely forced to drink the cyanide or injected.

Truth be told I think a movie would be hard to do justice but I think Vince Gilligan's project is dead? I remember an interview where he said something along the lines of it being one of the hardest things, emotionally speaking, to research.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Powers Boothe was really good in the role in that one made-for-TV version. Even included the monkey salesman stuff.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
I edited a doc series on Jonestown that he executive produced a few years back. He must really have a fascination with the material. He'll make a terrifying Jim Jones, no doubt.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Jonestown has been a topic that I've studied over the last couple decades going back to my undergrad and graduate studies. It's sad how over time so many of the events including the psychological and sociological understanding of the events have been minimized… I wince every time I hear the phrase "drink the kool-aid" considering many in Jonestown including children were likely forced to drink the cyanide or injected.

Truth be told I think a movie would be hard to do justice but I think Vince Gilligan's project is dead? I remember an interview where he said something along the lines of it being one of the hardest things, emotionally speaking, to research.

100 percent agreed. If anyone wants to hear some dark stuff, and learn that it was not about "drinking the kool aid", then listen to the final sermon where victims argued why they should not be forced to commit suicide.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
100 percent agreed. If anyone wants to hear some dark stuff, and learn that it was not about "drinking the kool aid", then listen to the final sermon where victims argued why they should not be forced to commit suicide.

I've listened to the death tape a few times. Very few things affect me these days but it is to this day one of the most chilling things I've ever listened to.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this but I was hoping it was gonna be Vince Gilligan's Jonestown project he was working on a few years back. Either way, Leo in this role will be great I'm sure.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
One of the interesting things about Jones' life pre-Guyana was that he was a sizable Democratic sponsor/influence. When he moved to Guyana, people on the left bought his lines about being targeted by the government and moving there to continue activities for equality. Angela Davis herself wrote a letter in support.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
One of the interesting things about Jones' life pre-Guyana was that he was a sizable Democratic sponsor/influence. When he moved to Guyana, people on the left bought his lines about being targeted by the government and moving there to continue activities for equality. Angela Davis herself wrote a letter in support.

Jones and the People's Temple was a major player in the San Francisco political scene.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Nothing shook me as bad as listening to the audio of that final ceremony. I had no idea a movie was being made

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Leo is going to absolutely crush this.

I've long been interested in Jonestown but I didn't know about this. Any idea where I can find it?

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Jones and the People's Temple was a major player in the San Francisco political scene.

And I think this point, along with many others is what people get wrong about Jonestown. The mass execution/suicide is the exclamation point; the punchline to a setup most people don't know about, let alone understand. People dismissed these people and other cult members as crazy and brainwashed... they convince themselves that they could never be that susceptible but as Deborah Layton, one of the inner circle defectors said in her memoir, "nobody joins a cult." People join self-help groups, movements etc. and the change is so incrementally small that by the time some people realize where they are, they're deep in and trapped. If anything, this is more relevant these days considering things that we see in the rise of populism and groupthink in today's day and age.

That's why I was really hoping Vince Gilligan's HBO thing could get off the ground; Jones is fascinating, yes. The events in Guyana are beyond tragic and misunderstood and clearly dripping with dramatic potential. The Powers Boothe version was decent, but was made very quickly after the events in Jonestown where we still collectively didn't understand a lot about it. But the setup to Jonestown: the years of proselytizing, gaslighting, indoctrination is really where the meat of it is.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Leo is going to absolutely crush this.

I've long been interested in Jonestown but I didn't know about this. Any idea where I can find it?

youtu.be

Jim Jones - Death Tape 1978

The Jonestown Death TapeAn audio recording made on November 18, 1978, at the Peoples Temple compound in Jonestown, Guyana immediately preceding and during th...

I was actually surprised to find it on YouTube, but I shouldn't be.