• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will ever justify the harassment and those harassers already feel "justified". The movie being bad didn't justify it. Another Ghostbusters movie getting more positive reception wouldn't justify it either. Nobody who condemned the harassment, won't be saying now "maybe the misogynists were right!".
Of course not, but that's not how it works when you're talking about the perceptions of the assholes who went in on the movie because it starred women in the first place.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
The 2016 movie was bad and Leslie Jones should feel bad, even if she was one of the better parts of that turd.

Feeling entitled after stinking up a beloved franchise and spitting in the collective faces of original fans? Fuck off.

Edit. To clarify: the 2016 movie sets out to ridicule the fans of the original movie, both in the movie as well as in the broader context of its mismanaged PR/marketing campaign. The nonsensical improvised failed comedy makes things even worse.

Last edited:

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not everything is about politics and the 2016 movie was just bad even though that was not her fault at all. So I hope she does us a favor and shuts up.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't see The Ghostbusters with the female cast. Was it good?

Ghostbusters (2016) was shit, in my opinion.

The two Ghostbuster members (not the Policemen) dancing scenes is the most cringiest scene I watched in the movie, I myself embarrassed to look at it, even when watching it alone.

I hope G3 is waaayyy better than that.

Oct 30, 2017
When I watched it I felt like it was a comedy with 0 story line for the first half just for a load of set up gags, then a ham fisted story in the second half was bolted on.

Cliche Villain, No Pace, Messy Story, cheap laughs.

Really not surprised it isn't getting a sequel

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The 2016 movie was like generic Sandler/James comedy movie, forgetable and annoying "the louder you are, the funnier you are" humor. Which is weird since GB 1/2 were basically a semi-serious dry comedy about "what If bunch of eccentrics tried to make a business out of ghost hunting".

I never thought the OG movies needed a follow up in the first place, very wary of this GB 3 or whatever this will be.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The film was terrible and she's acting like a spoilt brat.

Reminder she suffered extreme racial and sexist abuse, abuse so bad Twitter actually had to step.in and ban permanently Milo, a ban they, unlike almost all others, they never walked back. The torrent of utter depraved abuse that was inflicted on her for being in a fucking movie 100% is the framework which this reaction comes from.

So to call her spoiled is abhorrent. You'd probably not have the strength to face what she faced and keep going. So yeah calling her a spoiled brat is pretty low.

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I understand her position. She went through a lot of hate during and after that film. However, as we've seen with all of the DCEU, sometimes it just makes sense to reboot a reboot.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
They had their chance and blew it (mostly that hack Paul Feig). Your improvisation comedy failed miserable for this movie. I know the actors are not responsible for the mess soley but geez at some point they should´ve asked themself "are vagina farts really something that should be in a Ghostbuster movie?". The Ghostbuster reboot is an abomination of a comedy film and should be banned for life.

Wtf

Banned for life?

Get a grip.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Is it really a reboot if they are making this new one in the old continuity.

That was probably one of the biggest mistakes of the reboot. It should have been like Force Awakens and incorporated the original cast somehow.

Make the new groups "franchises" in different cities etc or something.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The 2016 movie was bad and Leslie Jones should feel bad, even if she was one of the better parts of that turd.

Feeling entitled after stinking up a beloved franchise and spitting in the collective faces of original fans? Fuck off.

God, this is a terrible take.

"The possible range of Leslie Jones' reactions should be situated around my opinion that the movie was bad. Forget that she might disagree, and might even feel pride for being part of a movie that got a solid critical reception, that a lot of people enjoyed, and that created positive representation for a new generation of young girls."

"Oh, and no, she isn't allowed to let the harassment she received color her thoughts, either. How could she be so entitled after spitting in the face of the fans aka making a movie I didn't like?"

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Edit. To clarify: the 2016 movie sets out to ridicule the fans of the original movie, both in the movie as well as in the broader context of its mismanaged PR/marketing campaign. The nonsensical improvised failed comedy makes things even worse.

She probably does feel bad, feel bad about suffering unconscionable abuse for being in a movie.

But sure she and the movie personally insulted you.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything is about politics and the 2016 movie was just bad even though that was not her fault at all. So I hope she does us a favor and shuts up.

Reminder she suffered extreme racial and sexist abuse, abuse so bad Twitter actually had to step.in and ban permanently Milo, a ban they, unlike almost all others, they never walked back. The torrent of utter depraved abuse that was inflicted on her for being in a fucking movie 100% is the framework which this reaction comes from.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I understand her, it must suck to be disregarded. But all things considered, the movie was pretty terrible and didn't even try to be a sequel.

Nov 18, 2017
As a longterm fan, from the late 90's through the 00's nobody gave a crap about this franchise. Extreme GB was a flop, the 88mph comics, which were very good, also kinda flopped, then Dapper Dan did some incredible fan art and got enlisted to the IDW comics and they built a cult following and is still going strong after 8 years.

I never got the impression there was this huge toxic element to the fanbase. Then GB16 is announced and all of a sudden there's this groundswell of toxicity, and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't come from real fans, it comes from dumb fucks who watched the first movie as a kid and somehow think that makes their opinion worth hearing. The alt-right and Russian bots. The eventual quality of GB16 doesn't matter, that toxicity is now synonymous with this fanbase and it sucks.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a fun movie. It wasn't bad at all. People set themselves up with big expectations, as usual, and were disappointed, as usual.

I think Leslie also set herself up with big expectations with the movie and she is disappointed that it wasn't a huge blockbuster that demanded a sequel.

Now, add to that the toxicity from the hyper-focused media world we live in these days and it turns into a battleground issue rather than just a fluffy popcorn movie.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, and it's understandable, but it's been three years now and she brought this up in her own, unless there is something we haven't seen. It really sucks what happened before, but this just opens up a whole new can.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a fun movie. It wasn't bad at all. People set themselves up with big expectations, as usual, and were disappointed, as usual.
I don't think so? Unless you mean before the first trailer, because that pretty much set the tone for everyone on what the movie would be. People were going in with at best "ehhh....might be a decent comedy?" expectations. This isn't TLJ.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, and it's understandable, but it's been three years now and she brought this up in her own, unless there is something we haven't seen. It really sucks what happened before, but this just opens up a whole new can.

Someone tweeted her about the new movie.

And no there's no it sucks but she shouldn't bring it back up that is acceptable here.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
This is more of a soft reboot though that's why this will do better. they could still make the whole team female and it would do better than the 2016 movie.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Someone tweeted her about the new movie.

And no there's no it sucks but she shouldn't bring it back up that is acceptable here.
But bringing it back up is going to draw in all of those same people. I would think she would want to just leave it in the past and move on from it. Bringing it up at all, and especially Trump by name is going to make it go all around reddit, twitter, etc.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But bringing it back up is going to draw in all of those same people. I would think she would want to just leave it in the past and move on from it. Bringing it up at all, and especially Trump by name is going to make it go all around reddit, twitter, etc.

So what

She's not required to stay quiet.

You're putting the onus on her to avoid harassment. Fuck that.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Ghostbusters 2016, Terminator Genisys and Robocop 2014 all came out and were largely rejected by the fan bases.

Now direct sequels to Ghostbusters 2, Terminator 2 and the original Robocop are in production.

Terminator Genisys in particular was presented as the start of a new trilogy. That didn't work out either but it wouldn't make much sense for Emilia Clarke to publicly trash Linda Hamilton for taking the role of Sarah Conner from her.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
But the 2016 reboot she was in ignored the original movies. So it doesn't make much sense to include her movie if this will be based off the original movies.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I empathize with her and respect her speaking her mind despite getting a lot more negative comments.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
It bothers me that the quality of the movie matters more to people than the racial abuse and harassment she received to be honest. All the angry nerds get the ghostbusters sequel they wanted and the people they attempted to destroy get cast aside. Must hurt

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It bothers me that the quality of the movie matters more to people than the racial abuse and harassment she received to be honest. All the angry nerds get the ghostbusters sequel they wanted and the people they attempted to destroy get cast aside. Must hurt
GB3 was talked about for decades, and ultimately it's a business to sony. The bigots don't have to do with long time ghostbuster fans, mostly.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree, There will always be a toxic element but that doesn't mean that it's synonymous with the GB fanbase.

I would kinda say it is. I have a Ghostbusters t-shirt, which granted I don't wear much, but I basically don't wear it in public anymore because of the association with the fanbase is kind of embarrassing. Like I didn't like GB2016 that much, but I didn't love GB2 either.

It's not that easy to make a sequel to the original GB and I mean there's probably a fair chance this film won't be the dream sequel that the fanbase wants either.

I felt like GB2016 had a good cast and some good ideas, but the script and tone of the film let them down and that's not the actors fault. You can't do much when the script just doesn't have it.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yea but in this case there is just no reason to start something up when all of that happened before. All that will happen is twitter wars, nasty insults, possible doxxing, etc.
So, business as usual.

Or even if it isn't, again, who cares? This thing is so common and normal at this point, I'm not looking at your reasoning as if there has been some great loss here. Your basically saying shitbags on the internet will be shitbags. If it wasn't this thing today, they'd have done it over some other petty thing tomorrow.

I would say that if Leslie decides that her voicing her opinion is worth stirring up the dipshits who would throw tantrums over somethng else either way, she's not wrong to do so. Besides, it's not like this is on her either way. Their actions are their own choice. If they start twitter wars or whatever, that's on them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So, business as usual.

Or even if it isn't, again, who cares? This thing is so common and normal at this point, I'm not looking at your reasoning as if there has been some great loss here. Your basically saying shitbags on the internet will be shitbags. If it wasn't this thing today, they'd have done it over some other petty thing tomorrow.

I would say that if Leslie decides that her voicing her opinion is worth stirring up the dipshits who would throw tantrums over somethng else either way, she's not wrong to do so. Besides, it's not like this is on her either way. Their actions are their own choice. If they start twitter wars or whatever, that's on them.
Yea, but they have nothing to lose, that's the difference. I just don't think it's a good idea, but maybe I'm wrong. Like if anything, her just ignoring it and moving on with her career would be a win over the bigots.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I've been thinking about this today and I feel this is something that shouldn't have ever been reported. It should have stayed on her Twitter. I do think her irritation is misguided, but it's also really sad to see the lack of any empathy for what she and other women in the cast went through. Don't think there was any need of making this a talking point to people and likely attract assholes to harass her for it. It's just her venting, not so much because of the new movie but because what she went through for the 2016 GB.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but they have nothing to lose, that's the difference. I just don't think it's a good idea, but maybe I'm wrong. Like if anything, her just ignoring it and moving on with her career would be a win over the bigots.
They didn't have anything to lose before either. Like, wtf are you talking about, do you think that Leslie saying she doesn't like her GB movie being ignored is going to make some difference? Like sony is now considering adding her to the new movie or something? No, literally nothing changed from her voicing her opinion other than her own visibility. No stakes have been raised in any sense of the word. All this is, is some lady voicing her opinion, nothing more.

And there is no moving on because bigots will always be there on her internet doorstep whenever she gets involved with anything. There is no peace to be had with them. That's how they work. They harass you until you are literally gone. So there's no reason to give them the satisfaction.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Movie was ok, but it felt like there was too much ad-lib and most of it fell flat. Hemsworth's appearance felt kind of forced, as was Murray's. The beginning was pretty great though, but it quickly just went downhill. The movie doesn't deserve much praise.

The new movie will hopefully not make those same mistakes. And given that Egon's actor has died, I hope they will add a woman to the team. Or maybe the gang will serve as mentors for the new GB team, which will have both men and women. I disagree with what Jones said, but I don't think she shouldn't say it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yea but in this case there is just no reason to start something up when all of that happened before. All that will happen is twitter wars, nasty insults, possible doxxing, etc.

She's not starting anything she's just speaking.

Your solution is for everyone who gets targeted to never speak tangentially on a subject ever.

You're essentially arguing for the harassers to win.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparing this to something Trump would do is a really bad look when you don't have all the facts.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

So to call her spoiled is abhorrent. You'd probably not have the strength to face what she faced and keep going. So yeah calling her a spoiled brat is pretty low.

Abhorrent? Yeah ok then. Fucking hell...

Im not talking about the abuse the suffered. That was abhorrent.

Ive had a lot of terrible things happen to me but i dont go raging on social media like im owed something. Im talking from a movie/business perspective.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd be pretty upset too, especially with the promise of future work within the franchise.
If also Be pretty upset that the a choice may look like it's down the negative reception the film received that was wrapped up in all the mysogeny surrounding the cast.
It's hard to separate that from the reception, even if they may have been separate things.

Truth of the matter is, that film nor any other sequel can possibly live up to the nostalgia and decades of emotions and pop culture influence that those movies had.

We've repeatedly seen the same thing happen.
It happened with Indiana Jones, it happened with Star Wars repeatedly and it will likely happen again with something like back to the future.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Abhorrent? Yeah ok then. Fucking hell...

Im not talking about the abuse the suffered. That was abhorrent.

Ive had a lot of terrible things happen to me but i dont go raging on social media like im owed something. Im talking from a movie/business perspective.

Dude you called her a spoiled brat.

The harassment she faced is entirely part of why her reaction is what it is.

It's pretty weird to call someone who got obscenely harassed for the crime of doing a movie, speaking on how she feels now in light of things, a spoiled brat.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dude you called her a spoiled brat.

The harassment she faced is entirely part of why her reaction is what it is.

It's pretty weird to call someone who got obscenely harassed for the crime of doing a movie, speaking on how she feels now in light of things, a spoiled brat.

Shes acting like shes entitled to decide everything that happens in a franchise that she is a small part of.

She should have expressed her disappointment for not being involved (When its been announced that they actually will be involved, so she made a mistake there) not acted like a child.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Shes acting like shes entitled to decide everything that happens in a franchise that she is a small part of.

She should have expressed her disappointment for not being involved (When its been announced that they actually will be involved, so she made a mistake there) not acted like a child.

She's speaking to feeling abandoned and forgotten after all that she suffered.

Instead of calling her a spoiled brat and a child, try empathy.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'd be pretty upset too, especially with the promise of future work within the franchise.
If also Be pretty upset that the a choice may look like it's down the negative reception the film received that was wrapped up in all the mysogeny surrounding the cast.
It's hard to separate that from the reception, even if they may have been separate things.

Truth of the matter is, that film nor any other sequel can possibly live up to the nostalgia and decades of emotions and pop culture influence that those movies had.

We've repeatedly seen the same thing happen.
It happened with Indiana Jones, it happened with Star Wars repeatedly and it will likely happen again with something like back to the future.
Even if the first two Ghostbuster Films never happened, 2016 would still be awful film. she probably needs to talk to a therapist (not a bad or negative thing) who can break down to her the reality of the situation and how she is not owed anything. She was never heir to the throne no matter what people whispered in her ear vv