Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I won't let anyone slander those old chrome covers. Those are still fucking dope.

d0fb0b229bd8a0a464f6676f092c22a5-800.jpg
Protectors (Malibu) "bullet hole" cover

s-l500.jpg

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Speaking of Wolverine, I fucking loved this Adam Kubert and Hildebrandt Brothers mashup.

Still one of my favorite comics and inside: the ending was great.

6182316.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
x-men-fatal-attractions-covers-and-holograms003.jpg

61tNuy8peLL.jpg

I started reading comics just a few months before these works of art.

Posts every cover from 1991-1994 or so.

I mean, I could and that's the point. There were a ton of them, so we likely never saw them all. I know people who are not aware of the laser cut bullet hole cover and I've never seen the thermal cover posted above.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
clean.jpg

Spoiler Wolverine jumped on Galactus's back and clawed him. Big G shrugged and almost sent Wolverine into orbit.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
this and getting real hot and bothered by Gen 13 covers was my childhood. I read...almost none of them but hung out playing D&D and Magic in my uncle's comic book shop, where I also worked underaged as hell.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
We should also talk about the habit of creating a million ew heroes so they could sell #1 issues during the 90s 'everything goes up in value!' craze

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
We should also talk about the habit of creating a million ew heroes so they could sell #1 issues during the 90s 'everything goes up in value!' craze
I helped my uncle with the ordering because the printer at his house was shit and man alive, there were about a dozen #1's every single month.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
ghostrider15-cover-106255.jpg

eclipso%2B%25231.jpg

I always had to keep this book in the front of the longbox so the gem wouldn't imprint on other books lol

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Superman #78, after his death you think he's back until you open it up and see this Terminator motherfucker smiling at ya.

tumblr_mnz3a0YIS61rnhr86o3_1280.jpg

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
71bAmUFymBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The Gen 13 #1 variants. I remember scraping together like $15 when I was a broke ass little kid to get the Gen 13 Bunch one from my local comic shop thinking it'd be worth thousands some day

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My childhood keeps flooding back. Feed me more. Where are the fully lenticular covers?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love Amazing Spider-Man 400, which was a tombstone but the image was fucked:

s-l500.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
670671_the-amazing-spider-man-666-stadium-comics_1024x1024.jpg

"Spider-Man Saves Local Comic Store" cover. It was a variant cover depending on the comic store you picked it up at.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
The Gen 13 #1 variants. I remember scraping together like $15 when I was a broke ass little kid to get the Gen 13 Bunch one from my local comic shop thinking it'd be worth thousands some day
i Loved the lingerie one!
i think it was the only time I paid more than cover price for variant covers lol

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ive always liked the Centennial 1995 DC Comics books they did with foil all black covers with foil story names and the character silhouettes

images

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
These obnoxious sideways covers/panels. It happened often mostly in Liefeld books. This whole comic was sideways, ugh.

b1629306033511spider-man16.png

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Should I make a thread about how Batman Beyond is both Marvel Characters but better and how every villain would fit in Captain Planet just fine?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've owned this since the day it came out, but I've never been sure, is there a story behind the cover? This couldn't have been the result they wanted when they designed it.

Funny you should ask! So this came out during the Clone Saga and the Life of Reilly, which was a long ass essay that interviewed basically everyone involved, actually covered this:

Now, remember that gimmick cover for ASM #400? It was supposed to be a tombstone, featuring both the familiar ASM logo and a small Spider-Man figure engraved upon the face of the stone. I remember that this was the first gimmick cover that Bob had to oversee as Spider-Man EIC, and he was a little overwhelmed by it. I'm not sure if it was his idea to do this gimmick cover, of if it was an idea that was foisted upon him by our marketing department. I suspect it was the latter, because the marketing guys were obsessed with gimmick covers and used any excuse to do one, as often as possible. Well, the cover looked pretty good at the final stage, everything was readable and the engravings looked good. But when it finally saw print, the cover's engraving was so shallow and so faint that the cover was essentially unreadable. It looked like a dull gray, blank cover of... something. Not a success, to put it mildly. Thank goodness the story inside made up for it, proving the old adage that you can't judge a book by looking at the cover.

The Ben Reilly Tribute - Life of Reilly Part 5

Ben Reilly Tribute

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
'10s Valiant kept the spirit alive with all sorts of gimmicky bullshit, but the dumbest is the Toyo Harada variant where you scan a QR code and put your phone over his mouth to make it look like he's talking.

HAR_001_QRCover.jpeg

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Clone Saga is still a great idea to fix Spider-Man torpedo'd by fans unable to realize they'd get the best of both worlds out of it.

Something that would have totally worked in DC but never in Marvel is another way to put it.

Also the greatest era of spidey suits ever.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel kinda dumb for thinking he was the real Superman.

The devil horn on his brow probably shoulda tipped me off.

I mean, it makes sense.

Superboy. No. Just no.
Eradicator. If you knew anything about his weird ass history then no, no fucking chance.
Steel. Actually a super great character and having the soul of Super Man isn't that far off, but its also the mid 90's and no fucking way.
Cyborg Super Man. I mean, he looks like Supes, but with some metal. And while he's acting a bit off its not that weird as he just died. Give him a break...

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I owned a comic with a gatefold cover. It was probably so easy to tear off inadvertently.