• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like The Rise of Skywalker?

• Yes

Votes: 185 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 251 57.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't seen it, so I won't vote. However, I already read the plot and it sounds bad.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nope. It's a clumsy end to the trilogy that panders to the most insufferable people on the internet at the cost of narrative consistently, pace, and basic principles of storytelling. The fact all of that work is in service of a boring, poorly paced adventure film with numerous tasteless choices (
General Leia as played by a soundboard! Plot threads introduced, only to vanish immediately! Callbacks in the form of voicemails from old cast members!
)

Thankfully this released at the same time as GoT's final season, Godzilla KOTM, and IT Chapter 2 - otherwise it'd be remembered as the worst franchise cap in recent memory.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I had extremely low expectations and it still surprised me by how bad it was. TROS is the most poorly edited tentpole blockbuster I've seen in years.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I have it third from the bottom only better than TPM and AotC.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about Star Wars, but I enjoyed The Force Awakens, was ambivalent about The Last Jedi, and I did not like Rise of Skywalker much. It fixed some of TLJ's issues, but did so in a way that wasn't terribly interesting or entertaining. And while I quite enjoyed Rey's arc in TLJ, she was just so bland and unappealing in TROS. As for Finn and Poe, I didn't dislike their parts in this as much as in TLJ, but I didn't really enjoy it either. They were just kinda there.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was okay and I enjoyed it more on my rewatch. If I can turn off my brain while watching the prequels and enjoy that I can definitely do that with this film

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought TRoS was more interesting than TFA which was just a feel good rehash of ideas.

Two ways I would have improved TRoS though...
1) Turn Rey's two light sabers towards the end into a Darth Maul Saber staff - it was so obvious yet they didn't do it!
2) Palpatine seems big on cloning. Would have been so fucking memorable and cool if he had cloned Anakin for the final fight. Kylo forced to fight young Anakin clone while Rey deals with Palpatine. I'd do anything to see a return of Hayden in SW.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. It's a clumsy end to the trilogy that panders to the most insufferable people on the internet at the cost of narrative consistently, pace, and basic principles of storytelling. The fact all of that work is in service of a boring, poorly paced adventure film with numerous tasteless choices (
General Leia as played by a soundboard! Plot threads introduced, only to vanish immediately! Callbacks in the form of voicemails from old cast members!
)

Thankfully this released at the same time as GoT's final season, Godzilla KOTM, and IT Chapter 2 - otherwise it'd be remembered as the worst franchise cap in recent memory.

Uhh... doesn't Godzilla have another entry coming out next year?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was entertaining but no I didn't really like it. Movie was a mess and underutilized a lot of characters too.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but I wasn't expecting much. I'm just glad the OT stuff is over so we don't have to hear the same shit from the people who wanted retreads of the stuff that they've already had for 40 years. I want something new from this universe.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I can't really vote. I quite enjoyed it but it wasn't very good.

This whole trilogy has been a complete mess. Something like Palpatine being alive is something that should have been hinted at from the first film, but that couldn't happen as it almost certainly wasn't the original intent.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
There should be a middle option but I went with no cause I disliked it more than I enjoyed it.

This is not the standard that I was expecting to end a 9 movie saga.

But I guess those are some impossible standards.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The Last Jedi is one of the best genre films I've ever seen. A deep and layered meditation on Star Wars, fandom, meeting your heroes. It was such an amazing film, and to have fallen as far as we did with the vapid, idiotic mess that was Rise Of Skywalker... ugh, I'm just depressed.

The worst part? It will never get better with age. There's no neat new planets or creatures or ideas to mine from Rise, it's just trash, and always will be.

Oct 25, 2017
This poll needs a yes, but.

I would give the previous two movies 4 & 1/2 stars this one I feel okay giving it 3. So I guess I still liked it but have major issues with it.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
The entire sequel trilogy was terrible and mishandled, so no. I'd argue The Last Jedi was the worst of the three, but this one was, I'd say, second worst. I want my money back.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really vote. I quite enjoyed it but it wasn't very good.

This whole trilogy has been a complete mess. Something like Palpatine being alive is something that should have been hinted at from the first film, but that couldn't happen as it almost certainly wasn't the original intent.
I have more of an issue with force healing being a last minute addition to the lore than Palpatine being alive. They should have introduced the concept in TFA at the very least.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forget what I thought of the actual story beats, it often didn't feel like a movie so much as a long string of cutscenes.

There were a few moments I enjoyed, but the narrative was far too much of a mess to rate anything more than prequel-tier.

It's crazy how much richer and more human the characters felt in TLJ, and even TFA.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
yeah. i went to the movie theatre with my best friend who is a huge starwars nerd and he didnt like it because of super nerds things. "they didnt treat this actor they got for 30 seconds from the previous star wars with respect" type of stuff.

i get all that but as a casual star wars observer it was enjoyable. it was clearly contrived for the sake of having to wrap up the mess of plot threads and devices the trilogy has created up until this point while trying to cram in fanservice moments to take people's eyes off of that fact, but i thought it was decent for the reality of what it had to contend with

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought TRoS was more interesting than TFA which was just a feel good rehash of ideas.

Two ways I would have improved TRoS though...
1) Turn Rey's two light sabers towards the end into a Darth Maul Saber staff - it was so obvious yet they didn't do it!
2) Palpatine seems big on cloning. Would have been so fucking memorable and cool if he had cloned Anakin for the final fight. Kylo forced to fight young Anakin clone while Rey deals with Palpatine. I'd do anything to see a return of Hayden in SW.

Oh god this fanfic shit is exactly what's wrong with the movie.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how dare you talk to me like that
serveimage

Oct 27, 2017
No. It's got so many problems I can't justify overlooking all of them. It's pacing is insane, literally exhausting. It's story simultaneously tramples on TLJ and doesn't even make any sense of its own with logic being thrown out the window for excessively large set prices, cheap emotional manipulation, and stuffing as much action into a film as possible. Most characters completely pivot from their TLJ characterization and the plot threads it set up are largely abandoned for phoned in nostalgia bullshit. The entire implementation of old Carrie Fisher footage was just awful, completely destroying suspension of disbelief. If it only had some of these problems, it would have been fine, but it's just too much. There isn't enough good to excuse the bad like there was in TFA.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Will the vocal minority on Era who like this movie discredit the poll like the vocal minority who hate TLJ discredit the others when they don't like the results?

Status
Not open for further replies.