Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For user Kylo Rey :

guys someone can create a topic about this?
This guy create a video about how incredible the devlopers of ACO are, and in fact he even said that it could technically be better than Horizon or BOTW.
It's his point of view but it's awesome.
There is an astouding level of details i never saw this on a videogame...and i have BOTW

(i can't create topic ^^)

Basically, this Youtube video examines many of the ways that the Assassin's Creed Origins paid attention to a load of small details in the world that helps create the incredible realistic atmosphere of ACO. Many of these things are not particularly new or innovative, but the argument is that the effect of putting them all together is a master class in how to make an open world game's world feel real.

Personally I think that the video is a little overly effusive, but ACO's results speak for themselves as an extremely impressive game.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Thx ^^
Yeah he's subjective, but we can't deny what ubisoft did was insane, and that not many journalist talked about this game now.
Maybe with the free Discovery Tour AC O will gain more popularity?

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yup, Assassin's Creed Origins' open world is one of the most immersive ones that I've ever played.

From the people, creatures, buildings, environment, they stack up together creating a well-realized world.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love Assassin's Creed, probably more than others, but this seems like mindless gushing. "Dynamic free running" isn't really the case. The world was still physical and planned out, reusing physical set pieces. Everything is climbable not because they enabled everything to be that way, but because everything DOES have anchors. I mean, let's go back to Metal Gear Solid 2 and shooting ice if we want to talk little details.

It's an impressive series, but the gameplay details are all standard things we expect now. The art is a whole other world. That stuff is researched and detailed.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with his overall thesis. I wouldn't have given Origins the time of day if it wasn't for the immense amount of praise (or credit) it was receiving via the community.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Superb game. I'll never forget the game unravelling into this incredibly large world of detail. Felt like the devs went beyond the call and achieved a new standard by quite a margin with care and love you might not associate with AC games. I hope I can play another one day.

I don't think HZD can be mentioned. It's ACO and GTA V. I've not played BOTW.

Last edited:

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I give the guys a lot of credit for world building and the incredible art assets but at the end of the day I ended up feeling like I do at the end of all of those massive worlds. That the actual construction of the game is more imprsssive that the actual game itself.

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
Frustrating video. Show the cool shit you're talking about! Spends a minute talking about dynamic parkour while 90% of his talking is over footage of a horse running across sand dunes. Talks about NPCs helping you if you catch on fire while the video shows two dudes standing motionless talking. Talks about dynamic parkour while parts shown display obvious hand placed cracks and edges where the level designers intended for the player to climb.

Game and developers display an immense attention to detail, but this dude's video ain't that great.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm excited to play this game, hopefully it goes down to $19.99 soon enough so I can try it.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Origins was one of the best games last year and easily the best open world (Sorry Zelda but your gameplay and sandbox elements made you not your world)
I have yet to finish the game because every time I finish a main story quest I get sucked into like 10 different side missions that are all voiced, have character and a pretty good story actually. Reminds me of The Witcher 3 which is dope.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Frustrating video. Show the cool shit you're talking about! Spends a minute talking about dynamic parkour while 90% of his talking is over footage of a horse running across sand dunes. Talks about NPCs helping you if you catch on fire while the video shows two dudes standing motionless talking. Talks about dynamic parkour while parts shown display obvious hand placed cracks and edges where the level designers intended for the player to climb.

Game and developers display an immense attention to detail, but this dude's video ain't that great.
Agree. Stupid video editing. Gotta appreciate Ubisoft's efforts though.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that with another year without a new AC that Origins sees another group of people picking it up, I just hope that Ubi got a clear message that THIS is what people want, everything about the game is quality and feels like love was put into it. 2019 AC is going to be exciting, cant wait for Ancient Greece or Rome with Bayek

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Origins is the best open world. Better than The Witcher 3, BotW, Horizon. It's astounding that it came from Ubisoft, but I guess detail on this kind of scale could only come from Ubisoft.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a technical marvel, no one is denying that. That has nothing to do fun factor though

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the best AAA Ubisoft game in years. They learned so many right lessons taking a year off between releases and learning from the competition. Huge surprise for a franchise I had just about written off.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I give the guys a lot of credit for world building and the incredible art assets but at the end of the day I ended up feeling like I do at the end of all of those massive worlds. That the actual construction of the game is more imprsssive that the actual game itself.

yep. for me, this's never been truer than in the case of origins. i actually put the game aside for most of a week after maybe 20 hrs playtime, because i was, frankly, bored as hell. it was the incredible graphics, far more than the story, characters, or gameplay, that eventually drew me back in, & all the way to completion. the game's just that goddamn, incredibly gorgeous :) ...

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Origins is an amazing game, and I enjoyed it significantly more than similar games like Horizon and BotW last year. A lot of people overlooked it because it's AC though.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was pleasantly surprised by AC Origins. I used to be a huge AC fan up until about Brotherhood, then skipped 3 and Revelations, and got back in with Black Aflac, which was a lot of fun, but I never beat it because I got burned out on all the icons on the screen and the huge map just had me overwhelmed by all the shit to do. Skipped the ones after that I can't remember the names for, but ancient Egypt has been one of my favorite subjects since I was a little boy. Dinosaurs, superheroes, and Egypt were my obsessions, so I saw d screw it and got Origins during the last PSN sale. Not regretting it so far.

It reminds me a lot of the Witcher 3, in a good way, and with combat hat doesn't annoy me. And like TW3, I find myself distracted by the side quests, which are a lot of fun and really flesh out the world. I'm still pretty early in the story, but I'm loving it so far. It hasn't unseated Horizon as my GotY 2017, but it's damn good.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This guy was doing well until he got to his Mario Odyssey hot take. The weird sombre piano playing when he was trying to say that Ubisoft has been ignored lol. Odd.

Anyway.

I'm playing this right now after Horizon and Zelda. The attention to detail in the open world is stunning, it's beautifully designed. The traveral through the environment is second to none. The only thing that BOTW has over it is the hang glider. It's still a bit awkward trying to get down from high places. the combat is much improved over the old games, but once you understand how it works it's still a bit button mashy. I really hate how the camera is off centre during combat too. All style.

Unfortunately once again Ubisoft knows how to create a beautiful and mechanically excellent world, but they have no idea what to do with it. Same rinse and repeat missions the whole game and if it wasn't for these excellent mechanics and environments it would have been traded in last week. I'm definitely enjoying it more than Horizon Zero Dawn, but these games always have something missing from them. They don't really have personality. Kinda souless.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is right insomuch that Ubisoft's efforts are taken for granted and essentially ignored. Far Cry 4 in 2014 was a breathtaking technical achievement. The scope of the world, the intimate detail, and the finely tuned game mechanics. It should have gotten praise that it didn't. But it was a Ubisoft game, because it was branded Far Cry. Just as Far Cry 5 looks absolutely amazing from a visual and world design viewpoint, but people are busy ignoring it as hard as they can.

I'm of the opinion that Horizon: Zero Dawn would have been significantly less heralded if it had been called Far Cry: Zero Dawn developed by Ubisoft Netherlands. HZD shamelessly apes a swathe of design elements from Ubisoft titles going back to Far Cry: Instincts and King Kong. A lot of modern open world games do this.

It's the same way Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare doesn't get the recognition it deserves. There is basically no other game on the market quite like Infinite Warfare. From a tech viewpoint, it's a 60fps title with insanely low input latency on consoles. When Infinity Ward does that, nobody cares. If a Sony studio produced a 60fps FPS title with 40ms input latency, there would be multiple articles about it. People would repeatedly marvel at the amazing engineering talent of Sony's studios.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video was going Ok if a bit fanboyish until the Mario odyssey part and it becomes full nonsense.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the world is mind-blowingly beautiful (playing on Pro). I've been constantly at awe at the scale and level of detail and fidelity. I haven't played Horizon yet, but I can't imagine any other game impressing me anymore in that regard for a long time now. Surpassing TW3 even for me.

Gameplay is so smooth too. This is my first AC, so maybe this isn't exciting to fans of the series anymore, but the free-running is so fluid and dynamic that I just love climbing around buildings on my way somewhere even if I could just walk straight forward, lol.

The presentation is great too. Some really well-edited cutscenes in the main story especially. Mature handling and natural portrayal of the father/wife/son relationship.

Actually I almost wished they weren't limited by the AC brand since it feels like they secretly wanted to make a straight-up fantasy RPG and were one step away of just adding outright magic and fantastical stuff to it, judging by some of the surreal, fantastical sequences at many parts in the story. Makes me want a FF in an Egyptian-inspired setting :>

Have been so addicted that I cleared the whole world before I even did the third story mission or so, haha. Didn't even have the Assassin blade thingy. Already level 40 and just finally continued with the main story. Bayek and Aya are so cool together.

I hope the rest of the main story maintains the quality. Still already Top 3 GOTY 2017 now for me. Am I wrong or has it unfortunately been a bit under the radar? Haven't seen it talked about much here or maybe I just didn't follow it when it released last year. I actually never expected to play it and just randomly decided to borrow it from a buddy. Glad I did.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I do think not having a traditional mini map helped greatly in getting people to soak in the environment. The bird was actually a big big step forward for their formula.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
For me, AC did not get enough love for 2017 GOTY. Yes there was really tough competition, I mean Mario/Zelda/Horizon and others were all top notch titles. ACO is really great. I just consumed it so much faster than other AC titles. Ready for DLC to jump back in.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Months after the fact i'm 100% sure that AC Origin's open world map is the most detailed one released this gen. That's relatively insane given that games like BOTW and Witcher 3 have been released.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Origins, though I intend to.

I'm generally not a fan of Assassin's Creed. I own 1, 3, and 4 (got 4 for free and haven't tried it). I got bored of 1 very quickly, and 3 after quite some time. I do remember being very impressed with the game (3) and what it managed to achieve, and the fact that Ubisoft manages to pull this off practically every year is not lost on me at all. I definitely don't take them for granted and fully appreciate the talent and skill that goes into making these games and within such a short period of time. Ubisoft is arguably my favourite third-party developer to be honest.

But that said, that does not mean these games are great every time. Origins sounds like it may well be different, but let's not pretend Assassin's Creed is some amazing franchise that is continually swept under the rug by critics.

Oh and the part about Mario Odyssey is just ridiculous. Origins and Odyssey came out on the same day and people are only talking about Mario? Well, gee why do you think that is? It's not every year we get a new 3D Mario game.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I get that Origins has a lot of great tech behind it but this video turns into complete nonsense when he starts comparing Assassin's Creed to Mario and Persona 5.

Also, the gaming community doesn't take Assassin's Creed for granted. People buy them year after year and they are generally well received by critics. The reason people aren't head over heels with Origins while many sing the praises of a game like Horizon is because of franchise fatigue. There has been countless Assassin's Creed games. At some point they just start to bleed together regardless of how good they might be. They've all iterated on top of each other which creates a sensation of "been there, done that" with each release. Horizon is an original concept that's never really been done before in a video game. Everything in Origins is just iterating on what's already been done. It could be the best Assassin's Creed game ever but it's still more Assassin's Creed. Also, glossing over the bugs because of all the little details in the game doesn't really hold water in my opinion.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's an incredible world but it counts for less when half the NPCs in side quests are literally cut and pasted with no personality whatsoever. Makes exploration less enticing when you know you're never going to meet any good characters.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya there is some insane elements. it was nice talking to a couple of their devs after doing that vid and finding even more out. First time in a long time I thought a second video could be done

Nice. If you do end up making a second video for ACO, I'll definitely watch it.

Off topic - loved and agreed 100% with your Walking the Walk video for MAD MAX. Love that fucking game!!! Still the most fun game I have played this entire generation!!! :)

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: By appreciating the level of detail in the open world you can appreciate the level of detail in the open world.

I really like the game, but my word are those reminders a major detraction. Awful design on those things. My favorite so far had to be a reminder that I could pull out my torch while I had my torch out. I HATE the reminders and I will always remind the Origin threads.

The world is fantastic! I want a full fledged original IP RPG from Ubisoft now.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. If you do end up making a second video for ACO, I'll definitely watch it.

Off topic - loved and agreed 100% with your Walking the Walk video for MAD MAX. Love that fucking game!!! Still the most fun game I have played this entire generation!!! :)
Thanks. ya Mad Max just turned out to be insanely fun for me. It might not be the best game and I know why lots of folks didn't enjoy it. But man...I still think back fondly to experiencing it the first time.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bookmarked for later because Origins screenshots always blow me away in other threads . It's a shame AAA budget games like it can't really thrive easily.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I ran all the upward to an area you never have to visit and sat and thought about how much detail is in this games world and how long it must of took to put together.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I couldn't agree more with the video. Ubi gets too much slack but the quality they put out is top tier and unbelievable.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I couldn't agree more with the video. Ubi gets too much slack but the quality they put out is top tier and unbelievable.

One good thing about Origins is that they upgrade everything about AC...and there is less bug.
The only bug i saw during 24h of game for now (i'm lvl 23) is a vulture flying stationnary
The story may not be great but i can assume that all of us during the game where thinking

"Oh!!! So that's where this come from!
Oh! So that's why Assassins are doing this things now"
Since it's the Origins of the Creed.

For example, why they cut a finger for the hidden blade

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
people like to shit AC, but no other series gives you that historical tourism i love exploring all these ancient cities

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He is right insomuch that Ubisoft's efforts are taken for granted and essentially ignored. Far Cry 4 in 2014 was a breathtaking technical achievement. The scope of the world, the intimate detail, and the finely tuned game mechanics. It should have gotten praise that it didn't. But it was a Ubisoft game, because it was branded Far Cry. Just as Far Cry 5 looks absolutely amazing from a visual and world design viewpoint, but people are busy ignoring it as hard as they can.

I'm of the opinion that Horizon: Zero Dawn would have been significantly less heralded if it had been called Far Cry: Zero Dawn developed by Ubisoft Netherlands. HZD shamelessly apes a swathe of design elements from Ubisoft titles going back to Far Cry: Instincts and King Kong. A lot of modern open world games do this.

It's the same way Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare doesn't get the recognition it deserves. There is basically no other game on the market quite like Infinite Warfare. From a tech viewpoint, it's a 60fps title with insanely low input latency on consoles. When Infinity Ward does that, nobody cares. If a Sony studio produced a 60fps FPS title with 40ms input latency, there would be multiple articles about it. People would repeatedly marvel at the amazing engineering talent of Sony's studios.

What exactly is your beef with Sony? I have never seen you ever praise the graphics of any Sony WWS game. Mostly it is praise mixed with some shade and shitposting. Nobody said jack about Sony in this thread and we have you pre-empting it. Did Shu kill your dog or something?

On topic, Assassin's Creed Origins is great. I liked it more than BoTW as a game and understand that technically it is far superior. However, I do love the art style of BoTW and would love it if some Western dev took a stab at the cartoony look (not just cel shaded like Borderlands). I do not have a PS4 or Xbox One, so I cannot compare it to H:ZD, U4, U:LL, FH3, GoW4 or any PS/Xbox graphical masterpieces.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Great game, Epypt is amazing and I've been honestly learning from this game. Clearly the best Assassin Creed game, but that ain't saying much. I really like it as a game, but i dislike it because it is a assassins creed title. I'm playing it totally "wrong" (no hood, minimum stealth etc.) and that's why I'm enjoying it. It's not a Assassin's Creed game in a traditional sense.
Too bad It's a Assassins Creed game. I would wish that Ubisoft would drop the Assassin title, and make the games about historical adventures in different time periods.