excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1662151586435432460?s=20

Hill Reporter for CNN trying to sell parody level access stenography as hard work.

Social media has just created this wild outlet for journalists to self aggrandize about things that look like parody (or TMZ)

This is apparently a House tasked for the debt "negotiations" over the week

So this hard work is just going to be every outlet in Washington running the same quotes uncritically

Like if at least these folks realized they're not heroes I'd feel a bit better.

We are literally in hell

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, i can "appreciate" what they do but that's every day capitol hill reporting stuff.

it'd be like me invoicing work orders at work then tweeting about how i'm doing god's work

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
i mean, i can "appreciate" what they do but that's every day capitol hill reporting stuff.

it'd be like me invoicing work orders at work then tweeting about how i'm doing god's work

Literally anyone who can work a phone and not fall down can do what's in this video.

But yeah the self aggrandizement that irks me here, like us fucking pleebs are supposed to be grateful for whatever this is (essentially stenography)

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You gotta admit, they got that walk down. To be able to walk in lockstep with the entire group, while not looking at where they are going, while trying to frame the perfect shot is a skill if I've ever seen one.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean...that's the job?

The alternative is not engaging, losing the soundbite and being irrelevant?

I'll all for holding the feet of the media and press to the fire when it comes to accountability but, if the answer to this question is, "would you prefer this or nothing", I'd still take this.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
excelsiorlef It's a long weekend. You gotta get offline for a bit.
Grass is toxic.

Also I'm on vacation for a week so this isn't a huge loss of time.
I mean...that's the job?

The alternative is not engaging, losing the soundbite and being irrelevant?

I'll all for holding the feet of the media and press to the fire when it comes to accountability but, if the answer to this question is, "would you prefer this or nothing", I'd still take this.

The self aggrandizing for what produces basically barely better than nothing is a huge issue.

We see this over and over, they've bought into this idea that their title is inherently heroic.

From this, to the laughably Democracy Dies in the Darkness.

It's just farcical

And it lets power of the hook.

And like it's not like I'm alone in seeing this as fucking weird here's Jay Rosen

View: https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1662226774854623234?s=20

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The self aggrandizing for what produces basically barely better than nothing is a huge issue.

We see this over and over, they've bought into this idea that their title is inherently heroic.

From this, to the laughably Democracy Dies in the Darkness.

It's just farcical
I hear you. Personally I'm not willing to put it on, maybe such a serious level though. The whole idea of letting these, literal, monsters talk about how the job of poisioning the country is "SOOO HARD AND IT MAKES ME FEEL SO BAD" is annoying and exhausting, but we still need to hear that to be able to call them out on their bullshit. And as much as I hate to say it, if they were so demoralized as to pull the plug on all this shit, the real response is, we wouldn't see it at all, ever, and then we go back closed-door locker room talk where these assholes complain about not being able to lynch black people in private.

I do wish they would get some prospective though, but they kind of do have to make the job seem...at the very least worthwhile, because we're at the point where I don't know why anyone would want to be a hard hitting journalist. Pay sucks, constant threats, no security, even the hill press junket cats are getting fired/exiled day after day. I don't need to watch their rah-rah nonsense, but I sort of understand why they have to make it.

But it is a little frustrating to see them quoting TJ MAXX bathroom wall art while filming the most basic aspect of their jobs.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you. Personally I'm not willing to put it on, maybe such a serious level though. The whole idea of letting these, literal, monsters talk about how the job of poisioning the country is "SOOO HARD AND IT MAKES ME FEEL SO BAD" is annoying and exhausting, but we still need to hear that to be able to call them out on their bullshit. And as much as I hate to say it, if they were so demoralized as to pull the plug on all this shit, the real response is, we wouldn't see it at all, ever, and then we go back closed-door locker room talk where these assholes complain about not being able to lynch black people in private.

I do wish they would get some prospective though, but they kind of do have to make the job seem...at the very least worthwhile, because we're at the point where I don't know why anyone would want to be a hard hitting journalist. Pay sucks, constant threats, no security, even the hill press junket cats are getting fired/exiled day after day. I don't need to watch their rah-rah nonsense, but I sort of understand why they have to make it.

But it is a little frustrating to see them quoting TJ MAXX bathroom wall art while filming the most basic aspect of their jobs.

It's not just a me thing though

Like Jay Rosen thinks its weird. Other journalists and profs like this one think its bad:

View: https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1662211158655500288?s=20

And I'll guarantee you those shocking quotes aren't generally coming from these kinds of softballs

Like the article you site is one guy from a local paper and from a journalist who brilliantly thought to leave his recorder on, this wasn't from a stenographer session. This was essentially undercover journalism

Bruce Willingham, the longtime publisher of the McCurtain Gazette-News, said the recording was made March 6 when he left a voice-activated recorder inside the room after a county commissioner's meeting because he suspected the group was continuing to conduct county business after the meeting had ended in violation of the state's Open Meeting Act. Chris Willingham, a reporter at the paper, is Bruce Willingham's son.
apnews.com

Oklahoma officials accused of talk of killing journalists

Gov. Kevin Stitt is calling for the resignations of four officials in southeast Oklahoma after a newspaper's audio recording apparently captured some of them talking of knowing hit men and complaining about two of the paper's journalists. Gov. Kevin Stitt said Sunday that he's seeking the...

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a journalist, so I don't actually know what goes into the job to give an honest opinion.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm a professional journalist. it's important for reporters to be on the scene of things like this so that their organisation can be its own primary source.

Literally anyone who can work a phone and not fall down can do what's in this video.

literally anyone could ring up the register at a restaurant but that doesn't mean they'd be a great chef. this is a tiny part of these reporters' jobs. you have to confirm your information and write your stories based on that.

i would not want this to be my beat but it's important work nonetheless, and i imagine a bunch of people in that huddle are from wire services that get cited by everyone else

Oct 30, 2017
Could be great cooks though

In all seriousness went too far there specifically in frustrating at the general state of it all.

yeah i hear you. given the state of journalism these days i don't think this is exactly the most efficient use of limited resources.

but i'm pretty sure everyone in that video is working hard to get what they need so they can do the rest of their job to their employers' requirements — like, these iphone recordings aren't the product they put out. i certainly wouldn't be embarrassed myself. what journalists really worry about is screwing up their actual stories

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i hear you. given the state of journalism these days i don't think this is exactly the most efficient use of limited resources.

but i'm pretty sure everyone in that video is working hard to get what they need so they can do the rest of their job to their employers' requirements — like, these iphone recordings aren't the product they put out. i certainly wouldn't be embarrassed myself. what journalists really worry about is screwing up their actual stories
I'll be specfic that there's also just serious issues with the quality if work from Hill reporters that teeters on parody almost every day and the way she's flexing here and then tweeting stuff like bonding with a Republican politician because he's tired, when he's factually only tired because they're dedicated to ruining the United States... it's just you know.

I really should have made this a framework about how people like that CNN lady ruin the reputation of their profession through their social media laissez-faire nonsense that treats actual life and death shit as if she was asking Orland Bloom who he's dating

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
If I was the person they were following, I would have a really hard time trying not to mess with them. Like randomly stopping and walking backwards