• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
So, I never thought I would be someone who would actively seek out videos of other people playing through a video game. Sure, I'd dabble in watching Twitch every now and then to see gameplay of new games upon release, but my time is so sparse that I'd typically rather be playing games than watching someone else playing them. Well, with the deafening silence that comes along with working at home during the pandemic, I've found that it's nice to throw a "Let's Play" up on a second monitor.

I don't really know many of the "personalities" of game streamers, so I thought I'd come to you all to ask: Do you have any recommendations for streamers that are generally enjoyable to watch? Or recommendations for specific Let's Plays that you've enjoyed?

I'll start with a couple I'm currently watching.

Maximilian Dood's Playthrough of FF7R - I know this guy from the FGC, but he has so much passion for FF7 that it has been fun watching someone experiencing the game who is giddy like a kid on Christmas. I'm currently playing through FF7R, so I'm watching this one on-and-off after I first progress through parts of the game.

www.youtube.com

I Waited 15+ Years For This: Final Fantasy VII Remake (Chpt. 1-2)

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_doodGet 10% off X-Split Broadcaster with 'dood01' ►►►https://www.xsplit.com/buy?pp=WWW_NAVBAROur offici...

Kinda Funny Game's Playthrough of Metal Gear Solid 1 - I believe this playthrough is still going on (part 3 has been uploaded, but I'm only on part 2). I don't know many of the Kinda Funny guys, but a couple of them are playing through MGS for the very first time and it has been an enjoyable watch. It also seems like they might roll right on and play MGS2-4, also all for the first time, after the MGS1 playthrough.

www.youtube.com

Barrett & Mike Experience Metal Gear Solid For The FIRST TIME!

It's really happening! Barrett and Mike are about to experience Metal Gear Solid for the first time. They have never played the game and are ready to take it...

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely recommend Christopher Odd. He's very meticulous and reads out all of the information and appendix entries. He's also mature, has a nice soothing voice, and funny at times.

I discovered him through his Bloodborne playthrough but he has does many different types of single player gaming. I really enjoy watching his playthrough after I've finished a game.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
chuggaaconroy's been active since Let's Plays were in their early days and still going strong. He's refreshingly passionate about his projects (if a little cringey at times) and performs exhaustive research and completion of each game, often discovering new trivia and secrets. Like with his Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time project, he unintentionally created the first video walkthrough, if not walkthrough PERIOD, for finding all the hidden beans since nobody else besides him had bothered cataloguing them.

Highly recommend his Earthbound and Xenoblades 1 & 2 playthroughs

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
voidburger has great let's plays of silent hill that include 2 completely different audio versions for both "spoiler free" and "nerd" commentary
They also feature guests and interviews with some of the translators

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Chipcheezum and Ironicus have some classic ones, 50 Cent Blood In The Sand is a great watch.

Slowbeef's Dead To Rights playthrough is great too

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's a lovely channel hosted by a married couple. Good people and natural funny.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
supergreatfriend is a really enjoyable streamer and letplayer. He doesn't really do the whole overreaction style of streaming, he instead is usually informative with a bit of dry humor. He often plays a lot of niche horror stuff. I've found some great game recommendations through him.

www.youtube.com

Let's Play D & D2 Part 1A - Into the Mind House

A virtual haunted house adventure!

www.youtube.com

Let's Play Deadly Premonition p. 1 - Agent Smug (1/3)

Before the investigation begins, York is sidetracked on his way into town.

www.youtube.com

Let's Play SIREN p.1 - Zero O' Clock

A lighthearted romp across the Japanese countryside.PSN Link: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/siren/cid=UP9000-CUSA02198_00-SCUS973550000001

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Materwelonz is the GOAT Let's Player and criminally underrated imo. She mostly plays story heavy games (atm Mass Effect 2, The Last Stop and Subnautica: Below Zero) and is very enjoyable to listen to. She is very thorough with her playthroughs and i feel like her commentary is usually very insightful and funny also no obnoxious "personality". Linking some of my favorite LPs from her:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Judgment
Final Fantasy VII Remake

She played a ton more like God of War, Danganronpa, Spider-Man, Last of Us, Outer Wilds, Witcher, RDR2, Zero Escape, Wolfenstein, Uncharted etc etc all excellent stuff.

Oct 26, 2017

I've enjoyed Mapocolops' blind playthroughs of the Dark Souls series. He's not doing streams so he can actually focus on the games and he's usually observant and quietly hilarious.

I also found Ellen's guided playthrough on Outside Xtra to be pretty wholesome.

I liked following most of Marzzy's Souls playthroughs too, but it gets annoying when the streamer clearly spends too much time reading comments and missing both story and important gameplay, and then proceed to complain about said story and gameplay.

Best Dark Souls playthrough ever was Kay Plays, but she dropped the games without finishing Dark Souls 3, unfortunately.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I'm going to second
  • WoolieVS
  • ChristoperOdd
  • Materwelonz
And add a few more:
  • ManlyBadassHero, despite what assumptions his name may evoke, is a very mellow and understated LPer who plays a lot of very small indie games that lean towards horror. A lot of them are jank but they have interesting premises and are generally entertaining. Almost all his videos are one-offs due to the nature of the games he plays, but there are a few longer series like Omori and Undertale.
  • SuperBestFriends - unfortunately these guys split up in 2018, but they've left their channel up for archival reasons. Very casual channel of best buddies playing video games. They have very strong personalities and great humor strongly entwined in a lot of weird inside jokes. Today I'll leave you with a one-off video of a horror game they played during Halloween. (The games they play during Halloween are under a series called Shitstorm, and this game they played is called Anatomy.) (Also, WoolieVS used to be a part of this channel before it broke up.)
www.youtube.com

Shitstorm V: Shitsurrection - ANATOMY

"I stood there motionless in the hallway as a faraway sound echoing throughout the hallways of the house had frozen my blood. After a few moments...the rever...

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Some of Game Informer's Super Replays are really entertaining to watch. I highly recommend checking out the one they did for Illbleed (Dreamcast).

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Materwelonz is great, she always goes very in-depth for everything she plays - her Witcher 3 Let's Play is 200+ episodes (probably 150 hours in total). She speaks Japanese and English, so she has a unique take on some games that have those options. And she has a consistent upload schedule too - often 2 videos a day.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Let's Play's, like unboxing videos, are something I've only ever watched as reconnaissance for determining whether I want to purchase something. Sacrificing my own precious gaming time to casually watch someone else play an entire game is unfathomable to me, but man if it doesn't seem to be a popular form of entertainment for kids these days. Sometimes it feels like my stepson spends more time watching streamers than actually playing games!

Oct 26, 2017
Let's Play's, like unboxing videos, are something I've only ever watched as reconnaissance for determining whether I want to purchase something. Sacrificing my own precious gaming time to casually watch someone else play an entire game is unfathomable to me, but man if it doesn't seem to be a popular form of entertainment for kids these days. Sometimes it feels like my stepson spends more time watching streamers than actually playing games!

For me it's a more casual way to experience a game once more without having to stress about it myself, and it doesn't really take away from my gaming time but rather what I would spend on TV.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
RDR 2 playthrough by alliebeemac - Her channel blew up after playing this game, it got hundreds of thousands of views, and is a good first watch before checking out the rest of her content. She got into the game, the lore and the characters to a level you rarely see in any stream, and she is overall just a really cool and wholesome person. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoyed RDR2.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Materwelonz is great, she always goes very in-depth for everything she plays - her Witcher 3 Let's Play is 200+ episodes (probably 150 hours in total). She speaks Japanese and English, so she has a unique take on some games that have those options. And she has a consistent upload schedule too - often 2 videos a day.

Definitely one of the best story streamers around. The dedication she puts in her playthroughs is on another level.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I've recommended this specific playthrough in some of the The Last of Us Part II threads, but Julia_tv's playthrough of the game is probably my favorite. It's the perfect encapsulation of what I think the creator's of the game were going for as far as making the game land emotionally. She goes from genuinely hating parts of the game, and especially Abby. As she plays over the course of multiple videos, she slowly begins to soften up to her. Finally, on her last stream she ends up doing a cosplay of her. It's perfectly sums up why I love the game so much. Just stick with it after the first couple videos, because she does not hold back on her early thoughts on the game, a lot of which was shaped by early online discourse. She even left this as a comment in the first video's comment section:

"OKAY HI I just played the game for 10 more hours and I'm enjoying it SO MUCH more. I'm sorry that I came across so angry in this first part LOL I was just so disturbed by how it went. My attitude is much more positive in the next parts I promise! :'D
Edit: I also definitely let negative reviews get into my head. Seeing that there were SO many but not really reading them freaked me out and kinda ruined this first day for me. So glad I stuck with the game though."

First video:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last video (featuring Abby cosplay):

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'm glad you mentioned Max's FF7 playthrough, OP, as that's one of my favorites too. Another fun FF7 one is Aruuu:

youtu.be

AERITH PLAYS FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE **SPOILERS**

Hi everyone!!!** FOR TRANSPARENCY SAKE, THIS STREAM AND FUTURE FF7R STREAMS ARE SPONSORED BY SQUARE ENIX **I can't believe I can finally say this but I'M PLA...

I also really love Kyle and Huber's horror game streams. Their RE2 Remake playthrough is probably my favorite:

www.youtube.com

Huber and Kyle's Resident Evil 2 Remake Full Playthrough

Claire A, Leon B, Michael Huber playing, Kyle Bosman doing some puzzles, almost twelve hours. Resident Evil 2 is finally here. (Streamed Jan 27, 2019)Support...

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be weird, but I really appreciate the more informal and unprofessional nature of raocow's LPs. The dude's been doing this for over a decade and for the most part he's still doing what he did at the start - Mario ROMhacks, indie games, and retro games. He records daily, drops a few 10-20 minute videos for the multiple ongoing LPs he's doing, and that's it. I was pleasantly surprised when I rediscovered him a couple years ago that his more chill personality and approach to playing games hasn't changed from when I discovered him in high school. It's very comfort food-y to wake up to a new video of a dude happily bumbling through a game.

Currently he's working his way through a comprehensive series playthrough of literally every Sonic game ever made in order of release. Including obscure flash games featured on official Sonic websites. It's fun to see a guy play through Sonic 06 and not only not be constantly screaming for comedic effect, but to also come away with genuinely positive vibes by just embracing the jank.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Joseph Anderson, who does a lot of very long-form video game reviews also streams. The tone is very different, but I find him incredibly entertaining. He has some classics that aren't on his YouTube channel, like the bugsnax one where he accidentally breaks the game and decides to turn it into a speedrun. He's one of the few people to have a complete spoiler-free run of all three Undertale routes and they're fantastic. He doesn't do voices, but he reads every line of text, which if you're playing in the background is nice to have:

His Persona 5, Xenoblade 2, Danganronpa and Outer Wild streams are all classics. He's not someone who is into anime, but his viewer base always goads him into anime-styled games and his incredoulesness with the tropes can be a joy.

---

Everyone who has mentioned Woolie Versus is correct. He has a lot of classics, but this is one of my favorites:

---

PeachSaliva consistently makes me laugh. I just want to recommend this video specifically because it's one of the funniest things I've seen:

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

Many a true nerd is a channel with a dude Jon (and occasionally his partner Claire, especially during livestreams) that has a few things I love:

• Positivity. Guy always tries to find something he enjoys about a game and if he doesn't enjoy it he just doesn't cover it on his channel. This is a huge plus.
  • No distracting face cam.
  • Really nice playthroughs (Fallout 3/New Vegas/4 on one lifebar, permadeath no healing is amazing)
  • Guy has a degree in classics and when games deal with ancient greece/rome he is just so happy to talk about how much he loves it haha.
  • No 'gamer culture' around it. Like, no swearing, no memes that I'm too old to understand, just a guy enjoying video games.
  • His LPs are heavily edited so dead air/loading is cut. I really, REALLY appreciate this.

Jaina

Oct 27, 2017
Materwelonz is the GOAT Let's Player and criminally underrated imo. She mostly plays story heavy games (atm Mass Effect 2, The Last Stop and Subnautica: Below Zero) and is very enjoyable to listen to. She is very thorough with her playthroughs and i feel like her commentary is usually very insightful and funny also no obnoxious "personality". Linking some of my favorite LPs from her:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Judgment
Final Fantasy VII Remake

She played a ton more like God of War, Danganronpa, Spider-Man, Last of Us, Outer Wilds, Witcher, RDR2, Zero Escape, Wolfenstein, Uncharted etc etc all excellent stuff.

I also highly recommend Materwelonz.
She's regularly playing smaller narrative indie games too.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
ProtonJon, one of the forefathers of the Let's Play. He started when someone on Something Awful bet that they would eat a hat if someone could complete Kaizo Mario. So Jon completed Kaizo Mario. This was back in 2007.

He took a several year hiatus from LP'ing but has recently started back up and is currently LPing "Donkey Kong Country". Outside of that, he streams every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. Monday is currently game completion night, he has a massive(I believe last I heard was over 10,000) back log of games, and he is slowly working through it. Wednesday is just a variety night. Saturday nights are his own format that he calls Fortune Cookie. Leveraging the massive back log of games I mentioned, he has a program select five games at random and then let's the audience vote on what he plays.

Jon is also friends with Chuggaaconroy, see below, and the two of them with a third friend, NintendoCaprisun, host the collaboration channel The Runaway Guys.

Here is Jon's Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/protonjon
His Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ProtonJonSA
And The Runaway Guys Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRunawayGuys

With The Runaway Guys, Jon also started hosting The Runaway Guys Colosseum which is just a big ~3 day live stream with TRG and the extended TRG family, including but not limited to, MasaeAnela, Lucahjin, Tom Fawkes, Family Jules, Adriasaurus, Stephen Georg, 8 Bit Drummer, Insaneintherain, ToxicXEternity, Josh Jepson, Attacking Tucans, and plenty that I'm forgetting. 100% of donations from the Colosseum, including things like shirt sales, go to Direct Relief. This year was the fourth TRG Colosseum and we raised $411,000.

chuggaaconroy's been active since Let's Plays were in their early days and still going strong. He's refreshingly passionate about his projects (if a little cringey at times) and performs exhaustive research and completion of each game, often discovering new trivia and secrets. Like with his Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time project, he unintentionally created the first video walkthrough, if not walkthrough PERIOD, for finding all the hidden beans since nobody else besides him had bothered cataloguing them.

Highly recommend his Earthbound and Xenoblades 1 & 2 playthroughs

Chugga is extremely knowledgeable in everything he touches on and... yeah, he can be a bit cringey at times but he absolutely loves what he does and puts out nothing but high quality material.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn
Judgment
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Yeah, Welonz is good if you're looking for a normal let's player who doesn't try to act up for the camera.

On a similar note, Zenbear is good for watching let's plays of point and click games. She really likes the Blackwell games, and her runs of those games were all pretty fun to watch.