• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192107/Opinion_Lets_retire_the_word_gamer.php

this piece is just as relevant and trued as when it was written, which was one year before gamergate poisoned the term further
What other media uses a single term to describe its audience? Movies use movie-goer, viewing public, or for enthusiasts, cinephiles. The printed word uses "readers," or for the dedicated, bibliophiles. For music, you've got listeners, concert-goers, audiophiles (which is something else entirely), and much more. There are levels of gradation here, allowing different descriptors for different levels of interest and dedication.

The word "fan" applies to all media - it implies a rabid dedication to something specific - a musical artist, an author, a director. But for games, we have one word in common usage, and that's "gamer."

Think about what that means, and how all-inclusive it is about a person's life and interests. It's a simple enough word to break down - it means one who games, right? But there's nothing more to it. It defines someone who plays games, to the exclusion of all else.
After the big North American console game crash of 1983, and Nintendo's subsequent rise, you got a new group of people playing games. But popular opinion was now firmly established -- these things were for kids. Then these game players grew up, and they kept playing games. This was viewed as regressive -- people still playing with children's toys. From here, you got games as villainous, creating a Peter Pan syndrome in our youth, or the "basement-dwelling manboy." The impression is that "gamers" are just playing with their childhood toys. In the 90s, there was a mainstream view of the older game player as a deviant.
But that impression of the game player as a do-nothing, thoughtless drone persists to this day. And that impression is perfectly encapsulated in the word "gamer." That is the word marketing people created to target and describe the basement-dwelling manboy. The person who just wants to play games and cares about nothing else. That person who only exists to shriek with horror and offense on internet forums about something he or she absolutely loves. And yet we have embraced this word with open arms, and proudly display it on our twitter tags. Microsoft even has its Gamer Points.
A "gamer," if we follow the rules of English, should be a person who plays games to the exclusion of all else. If you use a word that fully defines you, leaving no room for extra interests or hobbies, what does it say about you? It immediately becomes something to defend, or qualify. You can say "I'm a gamer, but I also read books." That's a bit forced, and doesn't it sound strange? Why the need to define oneself by one's hobby anyway? In what context could one naturally use the word, except derisively? And the news media does exactly that. "Gamers are lined up to get their hands on the new Call of Duty video game." Interviews with over-excited youths with far-away stares ensue, encouraging every mother watching to say, "I'm glad that's not my baby out there."

The word "gamer" is regressive. It accepts the portrait of us painted by the mainstream news media, and every time I hear it or read it it actually makes me feel a little sick. I believe in this art form, and I believe in the people who make it. That's why I am so hard on this industry, because I believe that as great as it sometimes is, it can get better.

So play games, of course, but don't let the playing of games define you. Why would you ever really need to describe yourself as someone who plays games, anyway? Do you walk up to people and say "Yeah, I watch movies." Well, of course you do, everyone watches movies. If games are to become part of culture, shouldn't it be assumed that you play games? Shouldn't it be presumed that we all do? In first world nations, isn't the person who doesn't play games in the greater minority, when you factor in Facebook, Angry Birds, and the like? The folks who play these more casual games don't consider themselves gamers, because they don't think of playing games as a thing that defines them. They're just casually consuming entertainment. And frankly, they're right. They see "gamer" as a term that describes someone else - they just happen to play games, it doesn't define them. And in their way, they're being more progressive than we are, as a result.
it's well past time to retire the word 'gamer', y'all

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
"Gamer" is simply shorthand for describing someone who plays games. Like "reader" or "viewer."

It's useful.

It's not going anywhere anyway.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Gamer is too broad of a term. Hence why I identify as a hardcore gamer, as to differentiate myself from the less skilled people.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Gamer is too broad of a term. Hence why I identify as a hardcore gamer, as to differentiate myself from the less skilled people.
806.jpg

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
I mean, but it's handy, it's short, there's no direct replacement for it that portrays and conveys exactly the same meaning, so it sticks. What other word would you use that wouldn't feel weird or out of place to say?

DigitalScars

Dec 15, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I've always used gamer to describe myself at times. I've never felt it was derogatory, i'm not sure what other word i would use in place of it that's short, quick and to the point?

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

And wear gamer clothes. And gamer HD glasses. And sit in a gamer chair. Pretty much only talk about video games. Other people's opinions on games? All wrong. Girls who play games? Liars.

I felt a little bummed out by the end of that. That person is real.

I'm down to see the term die. I'm not a gamer, I play games. I don't apply a name to myself for any of my other hobbies or activities and I'd rather not have one applied to me for playing games.

Oct 29, 2017
"Gamer" is simply shorthand for describing someone who plays games. Like "reader" or "viewer."

No it isn't, it's a very loaded term. "Player" is the equivalent to "reader" or "viewer" or "audience member"; while "gamer"'s closest analogue is "moviebuff" or "bookworm", but it's a much more derogatory term than either of those two even (perhaps "layabout" is a more apt term to compare it to).

"Gamer" is a horrible association to have and I would denounce anyone I know who would adopt the term as a point of pride.

Sure, I'm a fan of games and I do enjoy playing a lot of games (some that may be considered obscure or "hardcore" by some numbnuts) but I absolutely do not live the "gamer" lifestyle at all and want nothing to do with the term!

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I have always hated the term. Even before all of the toxic shit that has been going on over the last 5 years or so, I've felt the term "gamer" (and to an extent, "gaming") always sounded like someone doesn't speak English very well and forgot the actual word for playing games. It never sounds right.

It also doesn't help that, most times I hear the word "gamer" or "gaming" it's usually in the context of a product being advertised/marketed to me.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
While we're retiring words, I think it's time to do away with "y'all"
not happening

if anything, it'll be used more often as it's a way to address a group of people in a gender neutral way in one syllable, and since it fills the grammar gap in english caused by the same pronoun being used for second person singular and second person plural

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I've always used gamer to describe myself at times. I've never felt it was derogatory, i'm not sure what other word i would use in place of it that's short, quick and to the point?

Indeed from the article

The word "gamer" is regressive. It accepts the portrait of us painted by the mainstream news media, and every time I hear it or read it it actually makes me feel a little sick. I believe in this art form, and I believe in the people who make it. That's why I am so hard on this industry, because I believe that as great as it sometimes is, it can get better.

That is a totally personal problem. Again you can find a problem with any term you chose to put out there but this baggage is not inherent to the term and anyone who is worried about what "others" think about you by the usage of the term, in my opinion, is a sign of how weak you are. I consider myself a gamer and it isn't to the exclusion of everything else (honestly none of the terms of fandom have that definition) it is what I do the most. No sexist, racist, alt right, self- absorbed, overly self-conscious or judgemental person can really box me or make me care about their opinions.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thoughtless drones are what these companies want you to be, moreso now with aggressive and addictive monetization.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Not sure why the article says that gamer implies that a gamers plays games and nothing else. A cinephile doesn't imply the person loves cinema and nothing else.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
Not saying that you're a gamer, doesn't mean you're not a gamer. As stated in the article, a gamer is described as someone who plays games. Going by that, if you play games, you are a gamer. Whether you state that, identify as that, disagree with that, doesn't make it not a true statement.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Gamer as the term means someone who plays games which is pretty much everyone in the world the issue is in western society and especially people within the media the term Gamer generally leans towards DudeBros, screaming teens who use any racial, sexist or gross term they can, social awkward/shutin types where playing games is a lifestyle and the whole Gamerriseup culture who play video games.

So yes while the term Gamer is technically for pretty much everyone on this forum within the medium though most tend to see Gamers as young-un's harassing people online or people so invested in the media they are almost oblivious to social norms. Similar to how Otaku's are seen in the east even though that term seems to becomes slightly more hip these days.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah and maybe on that same day everyone would agree not to refer to genres by their camera angle.

It's just too ingrained.

Menik

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't think we have the ability to retire it. It's used outside of the gaming community. At the end of the day, the word can mean whatever it wants to. Whether it's a trait or a label, or it stops existing. The issues within the gaming community and how society outside of it views people who play games won't change. If you play games, you're probably going to be associated with addiction, basements, being lazy, being irrelevant, not showering, lacking social skills, unhealthy, having a poor diet, scratching yourself in questionable places during intervals of gameplay, shut-in, irresponsible, procrastinating, uninspired, NEET, lacking athleticism, demoralized or depressed, bullying, violence, scratch--I said that already.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You lot put way to much of your time into this. It's just a word.

Call yourself it or don't it doesn't really matter.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Not saying that you're a gamer, doesn't mean you're not a gamer. As stated in the article, a gamer is described as someone who plays games. Going by that, if you play games, you are a gamer. Whether you state that, identify as that, disagree with that, doesn't make it not a true statement.
This.
Both the OP and the article/blog sounds more like personal perception issues tbh.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I don't define me that l.. just like I don't define that myself a Petrolhead, Moviegoer, Bookworm, Chef or Gym rat

I have many hobbies but they don't define me

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
For me, being gamer means that games are a big part of my life. Even though my skills suck and I can't beat BotW expansion pass or many of those Mario Odyssey moons :(

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There are many stupid things in my hobby and one of them is the recent crusade against the term gamer, if there are people that find the word has a negative connotation it is their problem not mine. I will keep using it regardless of articles like this one because it is a simple term everybody can understand.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
On one hand I think people worry too much about this stuff.

On the other hand, I think people are also too quick to judge others based on the use of labels.

So basically the only way to win is to never speak.

Oct 25, 2017
That's how language works tho.
The "But people who read books don't call themselves not readers" thing is irrelevant. Language doesn't work in a completely logical way. I'm not really defending the word "gamer" since it's a stupid word anyway but it's as fine a descriptor of people who like playing games as anything else is.

Like...
A "gamer," if we follow the rules of English, should be a person who plays games to the exclusion of all else.

N....no
A soccer player isn't somebody who only plays soccer. A musician doesn't only play music. A hobby-cook doesn't just cook as a hobby. That's just not how language works.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
IMO the term came about spontaneously and works fine. A giant think piece won't stop millions of people from using it and understanding the context.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
To say you're not a "gamer" while you play a lot of games just because there's some bad eggs in the game community is pretty pathetic tbh. Stand up for what you like and show people that there's more awesome people than screaming douchebags instead of trying to distance yourself from something everyone from outside of the community is going to think you are anyway once they find out what you like to do.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. By default I don't take anyone who self identifies as a "gamer" (like in dating bios) seriously.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So basically the only way to win is to never speak.

The only way to win is just to let people be. If people wants to call themselves gamer then fine, if not then fine too.

It's ridiculous that some people come here saying everyone must be a gamer because they say so. I wonder if these people ever had the same opinion of other "gamers" that only played, say, smartphone games, because it was common to kick these kind of players out of the gaming bubble..

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a gamer. Don't fuck with me because I'm close to levelling up and you look like just enough EXP

Status
Not open for further replies.