• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Player Select

• Akiman

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Bengus

Votes: 63 50.4%
  • Harumaru

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Kinu Nishimura

Votes: 47 37.6%
  • Makoto Tsuchibayashi

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Sensei

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Tatsuya Yoshikawa

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was a particularly special period, where Capcom was churning out iconic designs and it seemed like nothing could stop them. The artists who came in during this era came out with a great sense of prestige on them that continued on even afterward. What's more, it seems like they inspired each other, giving a strong collective sense of identity as well.

The definition I'm going with of what defines a Capcom artist of this period is a little nebulous, but ah well. Essentially, I'm looking at official Capcom artwork which isn't necessary from this period, but from people who worked at Capcom during this period. So Makoto Tsuchibayashi is included although most of his art is from later when he became a freelance, but George Kamitani is excluded because I can't find official Capcom art from him on Capcom Database, and Shinkiro is excluded because he was working at SNK until 2000.

Akiman

d9k6a.png

96k0z.png

dbkkp.png

4xjlg.png

gujcv.png

zdksw.png

q6kz2.png

g9kvz.jpg

88jqj.jpg

Bengus

owk72.png

1wj2x.png

g5jsq.png

lnj48.png

zxjsg.png

7ajgo.png

b5jo2.jpg

nqkki.png

w0jqj.jpg

fckk6.png

fjkb1.png

Daichan

l5jlh.png

jzkxz.png

mvksp.png

5skl3.png

s9jz9.png

Daigo Ikeno

2vkdh.png

38kru.png

guk7y.png

orjsg.jpg

peja0.png

puj0b.png

Edayan

7hk1v.png

y0jfk.png

nkjlc.jpg

sqjqm.png

9yjd3.jpg

v6jxx.png

k4j1w.jpg

azkh5.jpg

Sensei

4pkgs.png

b6kri.png

9qkcj.png

tjjg6.png

mljd7.jpg

Harumaru

xbkpl.jpg

f0j2u.png

bajxu.jpg

iujs0.jpg

Hideki Ishikawa

8ajlp.jpg

y9k6h.jpg

cmktp.png

cfj04.jpg

Inafking

qmjqa.jpg

Kinu Nishimura

c4j4k.png

t9j4h.png

k3j8t.png

p3k8i.png

v0j7u.png

ahjzg.png

tcjq6.png

6jjxd.jpg

Makoto Tsuchibayashi

xjjwf.png

4nkq2.png

iak99.png

bwkr3.png

h1jjr.png

59ka0.png

48jzu.png

z3jgk.png

Shinsuke Komaki

8xk95.jpg

8bkvt.jpg

xzkpd.jpg

Shoei Okano

fhjo8.png

j4kjl.png

zzkw1.png

Tatsuya Yoshikawa

r2kbp.png

d2jr5.jpg

zuklr.png

vjkvf.png

r6kcp.png

vcjag.jpg

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Bengus, then Tatsuya Yoshikawa, and then Edayan. I guess it depends on what you grew up with. My favorites are the SF Alpha games, Darkstalkers, BoF and the VS series.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Kinu Nishumura's my personal favourite. She's able to do cute art even while doing the type of detailed art inspired by Akiman. I'd like to see her proposed dating sim too:

kinu08yvk7n.jpg

Image from Shmuplations.
shmuplations.com

Kinu Nishimura – 2001 Designer Interview - shmuplations.com

Kinu Nishimura was a character designer and illustrator at Capcom from 1991 to 2008. She worked on many of Capcom’s well-known arcade titles, including Street Fighter and Shadow over Mystara.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
I can't and refuse to choose. I saw 2-3 favourite pieces with each artist and it would kill me to pick just one.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
They were magical times. I don't see too many images from the 80s though, apart from Forgotten World's (loved that game), Capt Commando, Strider and Final Fight. Anyway Forgotten World's was the first game that popped to my head out of all of Capcoms titles so Akiman gets my vote.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Bengus is the most talented and varied of the bunch. Kinu Nishimura is not too far behind and Tatsuya Yoshikawa has a unique style as well.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Kinu Nishumura's my personal favourite. She's able to do cute art even while doing the type of detailed art inspired by Akiman. I'd like to see her proposed dating sim too:

kinu08yvk7n.jpg

Image from Shmuplations.
shmuplations.com

Kinu Nishimura – 2001 Designer Interview - shmuplations.com

Kinu Nishimura was a character designer and illustrator at Capcom from 1991 to 2008. She worked on many of Capcom’s well-known arcade titles, including Street Fighter and Shadow over Mystara.
A relative simply idea, but I'd play that.

Oct 27, 2017
This was the golden age of Capcom, even though people seem to think it's now. I missed all their sprite based, cartoony games, that really visually showed off their awesome artist's art

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
A relative simply idea, but I'd play that.
It's actually a fantastically Capcom styled take on a dating sim, I think. Besides that there seems to be some combat in there, the boys that you can romance include Kamen Rider, an angel, an ninja, an athlete, a psychic, a ghost hunter, and a male Rei Ayanami (I think - they call him Aya__mi-kun). It's unabashedly nerdy but also manages to look pretty cool, like you're dating a volume of Shonen Jump.

I think a lot of what Capcom does is that. They just take something they like and do it with style. Like Star Gladiator up there is blatantly Star Wars, and the Armored Warrior poster with the soldier bearing down against this mech as it stomps another is Gundam as it exists in the mind's eye.

They've also got a lot of un-action images, like the Capcom Friendly Club where everyone is getting smooshed in - especially Dan - and Ken is giving Zangief a purple nurple, or the one where the Rival Schools cast are all walking to class, or the ones with all the Capcom girls where Poison is playing mahjong with Rainbow Mike and Devilotte. It makes it feel like they've conceived of these characters existing beyond the arcade.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that the description on Kinu Nishimura's dating sim idea mentions the other character concepts: a wild guy, a hair metal musician, and Devilman.

Now, putting aside that this is seriously a proposal for a game where you can date Devilman, which is probably not the best decision that the player could make, I'm wondering who the unassuming normal looking guy on the top left picture is. Is it the bad boy or is the one that's going to huddle in his bedroom and scream about how he wants the fight bell to ring?

Dec 14, 2017
Nishimura is my favorite. The group one with all the Capcom ladies is great, and I just realized Cammy is putting a grenade in that snowball.

Also, her dating/otome game looks fantastically fun.

Oct 26, 2017
Bengus is the defining Capcom artist for me. His style with the blue shadowing is still evident in modern Street Fighter. But personally I like Kinu Nishimura even more.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Kinu Nishimura is the greatest game artist period. Yusuke Murata the goat manga artist agrees.

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore Kinu Nishimura's line work and facial expressions. Kinda like Bengus, who's also a favorite, she gradually settled into a style over time that I think is her at her best. As much as I appreciate Bengus's willingness to be adventurous with body types and exaggerated proportions, I keep coming back to Nishimura's work the most. Her more recent art's got a real breezy vibe, as if she can lightly polish up a quick draft and it somehow looks professionally made. Love the sketchy body lines and eyes, the bright and pleasant colors, etc. Also gotta shout out Tatsuya Yoshikawa's designs and illustrations. They remind me of Akiman's Turn A Gundam work but taken in a more fantastical direction. I think by BoF: Dragon Quarter and on, he's really found a compelling look unlike any of these Capcom artists both as a character designer and illustrator.

And above all, I appreciate this round up because it highlights that there have been a ton of really talented artists that are great at big group compositions with personality for days.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I love Bengus' Vs series art. The inserted drama in the artwork is just lovely as well as the new renditions of classic western super heroes. It's great. I've always wanted official arcade posters of the vs titles but I can never find them here in Japan.

Guess I just need to find the highest quality image possible and print my own at this point, they are over 20 years old -shrug-

Real question tho: How the hell did Alexia Ashford make it into that group females of Capcom picture but freaking Regina didn't.

Last edited:

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Kinu Nishimura >>>>> Everyone else

edit: Seeing that Legends 3 poster hurts so much...

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
I thought for sure coming into this thread I already knew who my fav was but man, I was wrong. I can't pick out of all of those. Great job OP, amazing pics

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Great selection.

Akiman and Bengus were absolutely big parts of my gaming life.
Remember seeing when and where I saw a lot of those drawings for the fist time.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Tatsuya Yoshimura's work on BoF is just outstanding.
I would pay any amount of money to have a cel-shaded AAA BoF with that style in the coming gen.

Hideki Ishikawa is also glorious as well, and for the same reasons I really want a new MML.

All of them are just jaw dropping though.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I like how each artist has at least more than one iconic piece. No choice in this thread is bad.