• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
I would help the person out. Because doing good makes me feel good and extorting someone who is already suffering misfortune would make me a bad person.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Give them my name/number and supply them with video or photos if I have them.

I've never heard of anyone trying to shake down for cash for something like that.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
OP not coming back to this thread
unnamed.gif

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
First get in contact with the guilty company and ask them how much they would pay for the video evidence to disappear.
Get that money, then extort the victim too, double cross everyone, get protection from a local gang and keep being weird and shady instead of, you know, helping people like a normal person would do.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, there's a significant portion of this community that has just outright refused to acknowledge social norms and customs out of spite. Whether it involves keeping up with the bare minimum of the cultural zeitgeist, recognizing everyday racial micro-aggressions, or just basic human interaction, far too many just dipped out of those lessons because why the fuck would you even have the notion of extorting someone involved in a hit and run, no matter how "minor" (is it really minor when nth e victim is either going to be paying hundreds or thousands of dollars unexpectedly out of pocket to repair the damage or will be facing an insurance premium spike because the responsible party isn't there to foot the bill) cross your damn mind?

FlatSix4.0

Mar 27, 2024
So you're not willing to help out the person that got hit unless you get paid? What the hell is wrong with you?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I will just assume that OP meant this as a joke, but these shakedowns actually happen IRL here in Berlin.

It is usually Taxi/Delivery Drivers who, after they get hit by regular driver, will offer to "make it go away" for 500€ or else.
The "else" part is threatening to call the cops and calling in buddies who create scary atmosphere.

I was with a friend driving home from the club. When he pulled out of the spot (parrallel parked) a Taxi zoomed by and doors got scratched. He wasn't drunk at all, maybe a few beers. But he did not want the police involved at all and the taxi driver was pretty "convincing", so my buddy rather forked over the 500€ vs going the insurance route (would have cost him nothing but police would have been involved).

For the taxi drivers that money is straight profit, taxfree. Their cars get dinged up all the time and they have access to cheap garage services.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If you have footage of a hit and run on a dashcam and are only willing to give that footage if you get compensation yourself, you're honestly a piece of shit.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wonder what response the OP was expecting to get? Wonder if they genuinely thought "Well, surely a lot of people will say that It's right to ask for money to help this entirely blameless individual out? I mean, that's what I'd do!"

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I will just assume that OP meant this as a joke, but these shakedowns actually happen IRL here in Berlin.

It is usually Taxi/Delivery Drivers who, after they get hit by regular driver, will offer to "make it go away" for 500€ or else.
The "else" part is threatening to call the cops and calling in buddies who create scary atmosphere.

I was with a friend driving home from the club. When he pulled out of the spot (parrallel parked) a Taxi zoomed by and doors got scratched. He wasn't drunk at all, maybe a few beers. But he did not want the police involved at all and the taxi driver was pretty "convincing", so my buddy rather forked over the 500€ vs going the insurance route (would have cost him nothing but police would have been involved).

For the taxi drivers that money is straight profit, taxfree. Their cars get dinged up all the time and they have access to cheap garage services.
I think you misunderstand the OP. This isn't about the person getting hit seeking an informal compensation as a shakedown. This is a third party witnessing the accident, having it on dashcam, and then considering if they should approach the victim of the accident to offer the footage in exchange for money. The one being shaken down here is the victim, not the offender.

Oct 25, 2017
This is very strange, if someone told me they knew who hit my car and I needed to pay to know who, I'd assume they were trying to scam me .
Yeah this whole act of needing to even ask about something so basic already makes the person out to be a semi-sociopath, but this post is exactly the other major point. Looking at this scenario from the perspective of the victim, this would read like a complete scam of some kind.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I heard extortion can be extremely lucrative.
It also makes you a piece of shit.

I swear, there's a significant portion of this community that has just outright refused to acknowledge social norms and customs out of spite. Whether it involves keeping up with the bare minimum of the cultural zeitgeist, recognizing everyday racial micro-aggressions, or just basic human interaction, far too many just dipped out of those lessons because why the fuck would you even have the notion of extorting someone involved in a hit and run, no matter how "minor" (is it really minor when nth e victim is either going to be paying hundreds or thousands of dollars unexpectedly out of pocket to repair the damage or will be facing an insurance premium spike because the responsible party isn't there to foot the bill) cross your damn mind?

Been around a while, and already have a generally low belief in the "inherent goodness" of humanity, but I am constantly being surprised at the things some people will actually do in real life, and not in just some far fetched and contrived film. Whether it's acting in a way from being influenced by someone else, or simply acting like they're sociopaths who have been living on a deserted island their entire lives.

Last edited:

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Insurance rates higher then they've ever been, someone gets fucked over by a car hitting them and speeding off so the victim is going to have their rates go up (most likely) and have to pay a deductible, and on top of their now already fucked up day, you want to make a buck by making them pay for the information that could make the difference between them getting their car fixed and driving around with a wrecked car they can't afford to fix.

Way to be empathetic to a fellow human being in need. It's really not hard to not be a dick.

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Peak Era would be putting a note with a phone number on the car saying they saw what happened, but then not answering the call because it's an unknown number.

Obviously just give them the footage/Information

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what response the OP was expecting to get? Wonder if they genuinely thought "Well, surely a lot of people will say that It's right to ask for money to help this entirely blameless individual out? I mean, that's what I'd do!"

About 20 years ago someone in their work vehicle hit the side of my car in a shopping centre car park and because someone witnessed it and put a note on my windscreen I had the details of the person who hit me and an independent witness who would corroborate the story. I was very grateful for that kindness and I would always do the same to help other people if I could. I find it kind of repugnant that the OP is asking if anyone would extort an innocent victim who's already had some bad luck.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
someone's loved ones are stabbed to death and you're the only witness who can positively ID the killer. do you volunteer that information to the police?

or do you ask for $200,000 in non-sequential bank notes and if they refuse tell them to go kick rocks (over their family's graves)?

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
OP: Should I *a friend* be a good person? I don't know....*Posts on internet*
Everyone: YES! BE A GOOD PERSON! What if it happened to you!?
OP: I don't know...

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Hell no I wouldn't ask for compensation for dashcam footage, who does that?

I fucking hate ppl who damage other people's cars without taking responsibility so I would relish any opportunity to punish them for their selfish actions.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I wonder if OP speaks with a fick Joisey accent or whatever petty criminal from a police procedural he spent too much time watching whenever he tries to hustle his way through life.