• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
WTF? Give them the footage no questions asked. If you were in their position you wouldn't want to be shaken down for it no? OP please start to filter your tap water before you drink it and stay away from gas stations

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
The friend sounds like a complete asshole if he wants to be paid to provide the innocent victim evidence of a company owned vehicle recklessly fleeing the scene of an accident.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Mr. Rogers: "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."

The Helper: "Ask for compensation and tell them to kick rocks if they refuse."

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I was witness to a tiny hit and run about a year ago.

I was going to CVS to get milk or some other stuff, and there's a kinda busy intersection nearby, me and the car in front of me have the right of way, but this guy goes right on red just in front of me, but accidentally hits the back corner of the truck that was in front of me. They both kinda slow down, ease nearing to a stop, but then the guy who hit the car pulls into the CVS parking lot where I was going, and he's going kinda slow so I thought maybe he'd pull over.... but nope, he drives through the lot, does a loop, goes out the other end and in the opposite direction he was travelling.

I tailed him for a stop through the parking lot, memorized the make/model and license plate of the car. I wrote it down in my notes app and then kinda looked around for the other car who got hit, but I thought he drove away. I went to do another loop after looking for him and see two old people kinda pulled over sitting there in a blue truck, so I pull up beside and ask if they were just hit by another car... They were bu tthey didn't know if they got hit or if they hit the curb hard... I told them what happened, and so I gave them the license plate, make/model, bumper stickers, and gave them my name/number, talked to them for a few mins, and did my civic duty. Fuck people who do hit and runs.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And you just so happened to have a dashcam so you have the info of the company who did it and the license plate. Do you help the person out?

Or do you ask for compensation and tell them to kick rocks if they refuse?

Asking for a friend.
That wouldn't even cross my mind, but also I'm not a psycho.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of what I meant with too much time watching a police procedural, seeing as trying to extort a victim is also stereotypical tv-villain stuff that I hope is not real, but sorry if that wasn't clear.

aid.jpg

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Of course I'd give them the footage, what kind of question is that? That's what the dashcam is for.

Tanaka

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't waste my time if it's just a small scratch or dent and wouldn't care if it was my car that got dinged. I'd offer the footage up if the damage were more severe though. Asking for compensation is a dick move for sure though.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I saw the thread title when it was posted and thought that I must be missing something. I've finally clicked it and nope, I wasn't. Glad people are where they should be on this.

OP
OP
Taco_Human

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I think you misunderstand the OP. This isn't about the person getting hit seeking an informal compensation as a shakedown. This is a third party witnessing the accident, having it on dashcam, and then considering if they should approach the victim of the accident to offer the footage in exchange for money. The one being shaken down here is the victim, not the offender.

It was this.

So here's what actually happened. I drove by and my dashcam did not actually catch the little corner scrape that truck messed up on the parked car. Opposite side of the road so I watched it happened on my left view mirror. So I got a glimpse of the plate, but not the actual accident.

So this car owner. Does it seem messed up from what I posted? Sure. But this person has insurance, their car is covered. ( I should assume) but what I was offering wasn't anything like extortion. I was offering them vengeance. It would have been win win for both of us. They get who messed up their car, I benefit from buying and owning a dashcam. It's my footage, I don't need to give it up.

So they'll be fine. I didn't commit any crime, lol. . Yeah, I was looking to take advantage of someone who would wanna add points to the hit and running truck/company, but that's about it. They didn't see it that way so I just never told them the info for the plates. Its an insurance matter now on their end and I can look away.

I had nothing to lose and only to gain. I would have been happy with lunch for the day. But there you go.

Last edited:

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
It was this.

So here's what actually happened. I drove by and my dashcam did not actually catch the little corner scrape that truck messed up on the parked car. Opposite side of the road so I watched it happened on my left view mirror. So I got a glimpse of the plate, but not the actual accident.

So this car owner. Does it seem messed up from what I posted? Sure. But this person has insurance, their car is covered. ( I should assume) but what I was offering wasn't anything like extortion. I was offering them vengeance. It would have been win win for both of us. They get who messed up their car, I benefit from buying and owning a dashcam. It's my footage, I don't need to give it up.

So they'll be fine. I didn't commit any crime, lol. . Yeah, I was looking to take advantage of someone who would wanna add points to the hit and running truck/company, but that's about it. They didn't see it that way so I just never told them the info for the plates. Its an insurance matter now on their end and I can look away.

I had nothing to lose and only to gain. I would have been happy with lunch for the day. But there you go.
Just fuck off, wtf

RedXIV

Mar 7, 2024
It was this.

Yikes. Really? Dashcam footage cost you nothing homie. You're trynna extort someone who just wants to hold a shitty company accountable.

Re-assess your morals.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
And you just so happened to have a dashcam so you have the info of the company who did it and the license plate. Do you help the person out?

Or do you ask for compensation and tell them to kick rocks if they refuse?

Asking for a friend.

I almost got ran over by a hit and run driver as I was crossing a cross walk (they swerved just in time for me to not get hit -- and obviously ran the light). They then hit the back of a small truck (thankfully, no one was injured) and sped off. Some bystanders chased them down in their car and got their license plate for the police. I was thankful for the driver of the truck that they did. So my answer is that absolutely I'd chase them down or turn over the dashcam video to the them or the police with no fuss.

From what I could gather later it was some kids who had borrowed their parents truck so they were scared when they hit the truck. Still, they nearly killed me so fuck them.

Edit: I just read the OP's update above and had to roll my eyes.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
It was this.

Thanks for confirming you're an opportunist dbag, OP.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It was this.

getemouttahere-get.gif

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was this.

edit: nvm , not worth it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It was this.

I can't believe you returned to post this. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙏

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It was this.

I don't know what's worse, extortion or "offering vengeance"

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I'm just sitting here trying to figure out why OP came back to confirm to us that he sucks.
He could have just left us assuming, but now we know.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Ain't no way OP isn't tag-fishing. Why come back to confirm everyone's assumptions 🤣 "offering vengeance" got me good

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My dashcam isn't a money-making scheme, it's mainly to protect myself during potential insurance claims. And I'd be happy to share that with anyone else if I could.

Doing something good for someone is an opportunity, yes, but it's an opportunity to do the right thing, not to make money.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was this.

You are an asshole.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wait, what? You would ask them for money in return for giving info about the accident? What the hell?

It was this.

Wow. Jesus. You're a bad person. I thought the thread would be something like "do you tell the victim of the accident, or just not bother and go about your day" or along those lines. This is another level of dirtbag.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I was offering them vengeance.

It's my footage, I don't need to give it up.

Yeah, I was looking to take advantage of someone who would wanna add points to the hit and running truck/company

I just never told them the info for the plates. Its an insurance matter now on their end and I can look away.