• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which stick layout do you prefer?

• Asymmetrical (Xbox/Switch style)

Votes: 1,176 56.9%
  • Symmetrical (lower sticks, PS5 style)

Votes: 806 39.0%
  • Symmetrical (upper sticks, Wii U style)

Votes: 86 4.2%

• Total voters

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Today I've chosen violence. Tell me what the superior stick layout is.

Do you prefer the Xbox-style layout with asymmetrical sticks?

View: https://i.imgur.com/OFj48uJ.jpeg

Or do you treasure the perfect symmetry of Playstation's layout?

View: https://i.imgur.com/FXahZtZ.jpeg

Or are you a wildcard and prefer the Wii U's answer with upper symmetrical sticks?

View: https://i.imgur.com/NftzQ08.jpeg

Bonus question:
What was the first dual-stick controller that you used? I'm curious to know if this affects your current preference.

For me, I prefer asymmetrical sticks. I feel that it better matches my hand's natural resting position with thumbs angled upwards. The Playstation's left stick placement tends to strain my thumb just a little since it always has to stay angled more to the side. Of course, this could have to do with years of gaming on Xbox-style controllers as opposed to Playstation ones. Coincidentally, the OG Xbox controller was the first dual-stick controller that I used, and I didn't really grow up with Playstations.

What's your preference, ERA?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Or are you a wildcard and prefer the Wii U's answer with upper symmetrical sticks?
NftzQ08.jpeg

This is the superior option. Shame more controllers don't use this layout.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
After using Xbox for PC and addicted to trophies on PS. I don't even notice the left stick layout when playing.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox layout for sure but the PS5 isnt that bad once you get used to it. WiiU pro controller is terrible for FPS imo

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I play mostly on PC and keep controllers with both layouts around and use different ones depending on the game.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I refuse violence. They are both equally fine.

(I prefer Playstation controllers for other reasons tho)

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Rare poll I wish let you rank the options. I'd put it 1. Xbox style, 2. Wii U style, 3. Playstation style

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt like the PS controllers were so uncomfortable and it's mainly coz of the stick layout. Too low babes

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care. I use both regularly, and I don't ever think about it. I don't understand people who have a strong preference.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Both fine for me with most games, although recently I had to switch to using a DS4 on my Switch to play Project DIVA Megamix.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Sony layout >= WiiU layout > Xbox

AKA I don't truly care much, but I need easy access to a good d-pad since I play a lot of 2D stuff and the Xbox neither places it well for that nor has a good d-pad. However, I can switch between the layouts easily and neither really bothers me for stick usage.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the XBOX controler to the PS controler so I guess asymmetrical?

I don't mind either way tho whatever, it's not like I think about it when I'm playing.

Yogi.

Feb 3, 2023
I don't notice a difference when using differing ones. I personally don't see an advantage to either in my use case but I don't do much competitive gaming.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Honestly now that I've used a controller with asymmetrical sticks (the Switch), I can honestly say that I don't care if the sticks are symmetrical or asymmetrical. They're both fine, although I'll say I prefer the PlayStation stick layout for playing 2D games, but again it doesn't really matter.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
symmetrical lower sticks

not because of the sticks, i can play those in either position

but because the dpad in the lower position fucks with my brain

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Give me the left stick and face buttons front and center. Xbox layout all the way.

My only complaint on the Xbox controller is the bumper buttons being oddly placed. If they were set slightly farther back the controller would be perfect.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
You do all the precision movements (in most games nowadays) with the right stick which is practically the same on both Xbox and PS controllers. How the left stick is placed seems unimportant (although personally I like how my hand fits way more on Symmetrical controllers over Asymmetrical ones).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer symmetrical sticks. Lower is better than higher. It's easier to control analog sticks with the pits of your thumbs rather than having to reach down from an analog stick to hit a button.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think I ultimately prefer the Playstation setup, but I'm fine with all of them.

Edit: The thing that occasionally does my brain in is swapping from Nintendo to Xbox/Steam in the same play session since the latter flipped all the fucking buttons around.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's not a huge deal, I like the DualSense just fine, but the X360 controller will forever be the goat and the sticks are definitely part of why.

That said, more than stick layout, what matters to me in a controller is heftiness, which is why the DualSense is such a huge upgrade over the DualShock (especially the PS3 version, I hated that thing).

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
After using a Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo controller, I can say confidently ( barring any disabilities one might have) both are fine. Now I personally prefer Playstation, but thats mainly because it's easier playing fighting games 2d side scrolling games with the sticks on the bottom and out of the way. Never had any problem using a Duelshock for shooters and the like, and never felt Xbox controllers felt better to use for said genre. Imo, it's more mentality than one being better or more comfortable than the other. The face buttons I have more trouble with between controllers than stick placement.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Both ways are equally fine functionally. I prefer how symmetrical looks so that got the vote.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Asymmetrical. I sometimes like hitting dpad buttons with my right thumb while moving, especially in FFXIV or CoD. This adds to my feeling that the Dualsense is too big and clunky. I guess it is something that back buttons could solve.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
2D: symmetrical, PS5 style (d-pad and face buttons in primary position)
3D: asymmetrical (left analogue and face buttons in primary position)

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Up until this generation, symmetrical. But I've gone over to the assym pref because I feel like the increased size of the DualSense makes the analog sticks in particular feel just slightly off, like I've got to stretch my thumbs just a tiny bit too much now. DualShock 4 was ergonomically my favorite of all time, though.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I find the PS placement uncomfortable but I get used to it after maybe an hour of playing a PS5 game. My preference would be to play on PC where I can use the Xbox controller exclusively but it doesn't take me long to adjust.
Up until this generation, symmetrical. But I've gone over to the assym pref because I feel like the increased size of the DualSense makes the analog sticks in particular feel just slightly off, like I've got to stretch my thumbs just a tiny bit too much now. DualShock 4 was ergonomically my favorite of all time, though.
This was me. I didn't mind the DS4 at all but something about the Dualsense makes it feel uncomfortable to hold. Blows my mind that people prefer it to the DS4 but everyone's hands are different so.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a moderate preference for an asymmetrical stick layout, but the truth is they're all more or less fine to me.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Really depends on the game and required input. For 90% of games the primary input is the analog stick, so I prefer the xbox and switch controllers. For those games that require the dpad as primary input, then I prefer the PS, SNES or Saturn controllers. My left hand has always had a hard time using the left triggers when try to use the non-primary input in games.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
as someone whos been maining playstation consoles since the ps1, you'd think that id have a strong preference for symmetrical designs.

but for whatever reason, it really doesnt make a difference to me. ill grab an xbox controller, and 30 seconds in, ill forget that im not using a dualshock.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Going symmetrical because it was my first exposure to dual stick set up via dual shock. Does the N64 count as asymmetrical? That trident design shit was just wild.

My favorite asymmetrical controller is the GC followed by the duke.