• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Granted, as a southern European guy I had very little contact with Australians, never visited their country either, but there are mixed messages all over, right? I mean:

The Union Jack is in their flag... but their currency is the dollar.

Their cars are closer to American cars... but they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Their accent is a bit like the British accent, in a way, sometimes... but they actually have a good sense of humor.

We need to settle this once and for all, what are Australians to YOU? If any of our friends from down under want to contribute and help clear up the situation, they are of course welcome. Just kidding, don't bother messing up the thread with your bias. This is about how we see you. Not about how you see yourselves.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
100% more British than American, they definitely have the Anglo/Celt island mentality.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
As an Australian its easily British.

That said my viewpoint could be more skewed that way due to living in Regional Western Australia when I was growing up and watching way too much ABC and getting all the finest British shows they had.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
British because we are apart of the Commonwealth still [But that might be just so we can smash you at the circus people call the Commonwealth games]. and our sporting rivalries are stronger with England.

But we are our own thing. As fucked as some of the shit our country does, We are still glad we are not Americans or Brits.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, Australians dislike being compared to Americans, regardless of how true any such comparison may be.

It's why we still have Hungry Jacks instead of Burger King.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
we are definitely closer to poms than yanks

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aussies win in sports, Brits don't. So US?

Serious answer - the UK obviously. Cricket!

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
As a pom I'd have to say I would think they a) would see themselves closer to poms than yanks and b) might actually get upset at being compared to yanks.

Also, they casually cunt. Truly one of us.

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I'm a British immigrant to Australia and aside from a lingering love of muscle cars & an urban planning approach that's from 1950s America, still closer to Britain than the US.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
As an American who lives in a large metro area, my exposure to both Australians and Brits is mostly people who came here from other large metro areas in their own countries. They are both about equally different from Americans, which is to say, different but not that different.

I have no real basis of comparison for rural people from anywhere.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are obviously closer to the English, based purely on their use of the word cunt. They are on opposite ends of the scale to Americans.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
As a brit I've always felt Australians were our upside down brothers but its not for me to say

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are obviously closer to the English, based purely on their use of the word cunt. They are on opposite ends of the scale to Americans.

I had to have a look and see if people think we swear too much and, well, yup... Apparently they do.

Les goddams (sometimes les goddems[22] or les goddons[23]) is an obsolete ethnic slur historically used by the French to refer to the English, based on their frequent expletives.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
We are our own thing but closer to a slightly Americanized British if you had to put a label on it.

Also Vancouver feels like an American Melbourne (yes I know it's a Canadian city but that's how it felt to me coming from Melbourne). That's the best depiction of Melbourne I could give to North Americans that haven't been to Australia.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Granted, as a southern European guy I had very little contact with Australians, never visited their country either, but there are mixed messages all over, right? I mean:

The Union Jack is in their flag... but their currency is the dollar.

Their cars are closer to American cars... but they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Their accent is a bit like the British accent, in a way, sometimes... but they actually have a good sense of humor.

We need to settle this once and for all, what are Australians to YOU? If any of our friends from down under want to contribute and help clear up the situation, they are of course welcome. Just kidding, don't bother messing up the thread with your bias. This is about how we see you. Not about how you see yourselves.
Australians are Australians to me, but overall, if you didnt fucked up in history, this whole thread is easy to answer.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Met a decent amount of all three, and Autralians are definitly closer to the Brits.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Brits. I grew up on shows like the Young Ones, the Goodies, Monty Python, Black Adder, Worzel Gummidge and Catweasel etc.

Edit: also real beer, cricket, pies and the word cunt.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
American here... Aussies have always been more British. It's all in the spelling. And the words cunt and wanker.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
As the old saying goes.

Australians and English never know how much in common they have - until an American walks into the room.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, Australians dislike being compared to Americans, regardless of how true any such comparison may be.

It's why we still have Hungry Jacks instead of Burger King.

Really? I always thought the Hungry Jacks/Burger King thing was down to a trademark issue..