EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
The other issue about a thread like this is, a lot of people can get very protective about their favourite games and in the end it's just them not being able to take any form of criticism and everyone is just insulting each other.

But hey, maybe this thread will be go fine!

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You make some good points, and I have a few other gripes that kept me from joining in the celebration.
Enemy variety drops off a cliff at a certain point.
Even halfway through the game I still found myself occasionally pressing the wrong button. Controls are kind of all over the place.
Fast Travel system is one of the worst I've seen. I have to imagine it's hiding a load time, but I was never sure if I had to run around the tree or not.
XP and Money are thrown at you so much that it becomes trivial halfway through the game.
Bosses were easier than normal groups of mobs most of the time outside of the Valkyries. Baldur did so little damage to me wearing the Niflheim armor that I barely had to try and still beat him my first time.
Speaking of, Niflheim and Muspelheim really kill the pacing.
Most of the crafting gear early on is completely useless as you'll find better before you can craft the second piece of a set.

But yeah, this thread probably won't end well because it's still celebration time.

Fast Travel is indeed hiding a load time but you can stand still and the door will appear, you don´t have to run, why haven´t you tried this?
How can Niflheim and Muspelheim kill the pacing? These are OPTIONAL realms for people who like the combat enough to go through the trials there...

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time with it, but the game is as shallow as can be. I really don't think the game needed RPG elements, they bog down the game a lot and they just don't matter. They're there but I never paid much attention to it and did just fine. For the record I played on normal.

Also the "puzzles" in this game are a joke. It's always the same thing and there's hardly any variation. People compare the game to Darksiders or even Zelda, but to me it's more like a Lego game. Imagine if the (completely optional) Korok puzzles were all the puzzles there were in BotW, people would go nuts, but that's exactly what we have in GoW: the same puzzles over and over again and not very good ones at that.

The level design is also very basic. I like that it gets some inspiration from Dark Souls, but not once do the levels interconnect in interesting ways. It all feels very flat too; almost no verticality and the verticality there is, is relegated to painted walls you can arbitrarily climb without much actual player input.

I was never that engaged by the gameplay and just put myself on auto-pilot for most of it.
The RPG elements are very important in the higher difficulties as well as when facing some of the optional bosses. Fuck the optional bosses are some of the best/hardest in the game but very rewarding when you kill them.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Other than enemy variety I don't have any complaints. I'm pretty sure they'll look into that for the sequel now that they have to spend less time on the engine.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Okay, I'll give it a shot:

- The stat system kept me from using gear that, while looking better than what was using, would lessen the stats I usually prioritize in RPGs.
- Most chests had either laughable amounts of hacksilver or gear that was already obsolete the moment you got it. Said gear wasn't even worth selling.
- Some gear required crafting materials that would only be acquired far later into the story, which rendered said gear pretty much useless and obsolete.
- Enemy balance on higher difficulties is a bit weird. Kratos can take an axe to the chest and survive, but a wolf biting his arm will deplete a full health bar? Also, decreasing the player's damage output and increasing the enemy's is kind of a cheap way to increase difficulty IMO. Giving enemies a more aggressive AI and mixing up encounters would've been a more interesting approach.
- Fast travel got very annoying very fast, especially in areas you can't leave through other means.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly, I found none of those complaints "bad" I, liked those things in the game.

The only flaw I could find, was the lack of QTE's. Like what the fuck SSM? How could you not add those.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm generally really digging it but the UI is super convoluted, the level design is pretty contrived, and the loot system seems unbalanced to pointless. most importantly, though, i just don't really love the combat all that much.

but that's okay, it doesn't have to be my favourite game ever, and it's certainly close to best-in-class for a bunch of other stuff — which is a lot more than i was expecting from a series that i've always been pretty disdainful of.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the game, but of course there is always something that can be improved. I felt the following issues:

- The world feels very empty bar the enemies. As good as the supporting characters were, it would have been nice to have some more NPCs / allies
- Too many chests etc. Some of the puzzles were very clever and I enjoyed them but just too many normal chests - made the world feel a bit gamey at times
- One of the post game areas (you know which) is somewhat grindly, but the main issue I have with is that it is very boring, the changing traps do not make a huge difference
- Fast travel gets guide annoying late game, with you going around that same place over and over again
- Boss enemy variance - I was quite disappointed that all the mid-bosses were basically only color variants on their base appearance (few different ones only to begin with)
- General issue with the world is that it is not very dynamic, based on the opening boss battle I was expecting way more environmental destruction possibilities and similar but in the later parts there were very few
- Could have had a few more human enemies to mix it up

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You make some good points, and I have a few other gripes that kept me from joining in the celebration.
Enemy variety drops off a cliff at a certain point.
Even halfway through the game I still found myself occasionally pressing the wrong button. Controls are kind of all over the place.
Fast Travel system is one of the worst I've seen. I have to imagine it's hiding a load time, but I was never sure if I had to run around the tree or not.
XP and Money are thrown at you so much that it becomes trivial halfway through the game.
Bosses were easier than normal groups of mobs most of the time outside of the Valkyries. Baldur did so little damage to me wearing the Niflheim armor that I barely had to try and still beat him my first time.
Speaking of, Niflheim and Muspelheim really kill the pacing.
Most of the crafting gear early on is completely useless as you'll find better before you can craft the second piece of a set.

But yeah, this thread probably won't end well because it's still celebration time.
No you can just stand there and the fast travel door with appear.

How do optional realms kill the pacing? You're not even forced to go there for the story. You complain about boss being too easy but it's clear you grinded for the Nifheim armor which made you considerably overpowered for the boss. If you have just stuck to the story you would have had a more difficult time, but you chose to explore and were rewarded for it with better gear.

Complain about early game crafting gear because you can find better ones later in the game?? Uhhh what?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with the linear argument. Open linear games are much better than hallways. This whole backtracking later on to open a secret door after gaining a power is great. I hated how games like Uncharted or Last of Us were very linear. This game does it really well and makes the game feel bigger and more immersive for me.

Also stats and armores never felt useless to me because it can change the gameplay a lot. Same with the collectables which adds a ton to the lore and are fun to read.

This formula is much better than whatever cinematic games these days tries to do.

Only complaint are the quick travel. Game is a 10 out of 10 for me.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's my new favorite game, but no game is without flaws so having this discussion is good!
But in all honesty there were only 2 gripes I have with this game and even those I don't really hate.
First, too many troll boss fights, even though there's variety with their attacks.
Second, niflheim and muspelheim, which I am certain we'll get to see a lot more of in the sequels.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Rage is actually critically underpowered on some of the higher difficulties.

My one complaint is that there were way too many collectibles, like artefacts that can't be viewed unlike Uncharted's treasures, so they're kinda pointless.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I love the old-ass level design, it's not a flaw for me.

However I'm in agreement on pts 1 and 2. The game feels letdown by some feature creep and busywork here and there that'll hopefully be reined in later on in the series.

Which is also why I have no issue with pt3. If they tried to BOTW or AC it up on top.of everything else they're doing it would have been too much.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'll give it a shot:

- The stat system kept me from using gear that, while looking better than what was using, would lessen the stats I usually prioritize in RPGs.
- Most chests had either laughable amounts of hacksilver or gear that was already obsolete the moment you got it. Said gear wasn't even worth selling.
- Some gear required crafting materials that would only be acquired far later into the story, which rendered said gear pretty much useless and obsolete.
- Enemy balance on higher difficulties is a bit weird. Kratos can take an axe to the chest and survive, but a wolf biting his arm will deplete a full health bar? Also, decreasing the player's damage output and increasing the enemy's is kind of a cheap way to increase difficulty IMO. Giving enemies a more aggressive AI and mixing up encounters would've been a more interesting approach.
- Fast travel got very annoying very fast, especially in areas you can't leave through other means.
In the higher difficulty enemies have different attacks and they don't stagger as easily. It's not just they do more damage and Kratos does less.

And your point about him taking an axe and surviving but a wolf bite killing him is odd. It's a video game, if you're going to complain about that shit then you could have just said how he didn't die in the beginning when he got knocked the fuck out by a God.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you want to know?
The side quests are all filler content with 0 variety, you either collect things or kill enemies in pretty much every "favors" and you have the occasionally free the dragons quests.
Wow side quests having you collect things or kill enemies? What's a side quest that doesn't do either of those things?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish it had less troll bosses

I wish Boys runic ability was more reliable

I wish fast travel wasn't a end game unlock

I wish it had a player data stats screen

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
God of War is the best PS4 exclusive after Bloodborne and the craftsmanship that went into it is amazing but there are things they didn't gel with me. Some people like the close over the shoulder camera but I didn't. It was probably to make the combat feel more "intimate" but that claustrophobic type of combat is not for me. This game also has a really bad case of ludonarrative dissonance the narrative/cinematic Kratos is basically a different character (basically an anime or comic book character) than the one you control (grounded more weighty). Also the themes and where the game ends doesn't work for me. I would still recommend this game to anyone that owns a ps4.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
My main issues:

The map kinda sucks. It's pretty to look at but nearly useless as a map. It's really just a collectible list.

Not a fan of the tutorial encounters (not just how to play the game, but some of the specific enemy introductions). The first encounter is too many enemies and they each take too long to kill. They make you kill a few before they even teach you how to block, and they introduce many mechanics too slowly for my tastes. The first encounter with those large Draugr that only receive hitstun from the last hit of a regular combo is a bit unfair because you're pit against two of them plus some regular enemies plus another that spawns after you kill one and then followed up by projectile throwing enemies. This was early in the game before you have anywhere near all of your options. Main takeaway here is that those heavy guys should have been first introduced in an encounter that wasn't so ridiculous. I also had issue with the difficulty balance in general. The first few hours were way harder than everything else except a certain optional boss. I played on Give Me a Challenge btw.

Atreus got annoying at times. I know, he pretty much just acted like a real kid would. Kids are annoying.

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
Like many others, I have the plat, played it quite a bit. Coming from normal difficulty, for perspective.

On the whole with the loot, while there is a bunch of useless collecting (and stupid ravens!), when you did find something good, it sometimes made a substantial impact. Especially new attacks, and health/rage upgrades, those made a huge difference. They probably could have done with fewer overhead buckets, and small chests though, as they didn't usually have anything on consequence in them.

The stats system doesn't bother me at all, though I play a lot of stat-focused games.The idea behind this game's levels seem a bit strange to me. I don't think I'm that much stronger at early level 5 than mid-level 3, so why do the rift encounters become so much easier? Then again, runic attacks and general player experience may contribute. I also had a tough time with the bonus boss at level 8, but decided after a couple hours of failed attempts to just suck it up and grind some stuff out in Muspelheim, which allowed me to wreck the boss over just a couple of tries. I liked it, though I do wish that the best stuff wasn't gated behind the types of grindy trials they were. I ended around mid-level 9, with max upgrades on everything but the axe pommel. However, one significant increase in power came from upgrading to the Shattered talisman with max upgrades, with 3 enchantment slots. (Also used the "secret" ability for it, which was snazzy)

My only complaint, really, is enemy and boss variety, as others have posted. If there was a bit more variety in stuff to fight, the game would have near-perfect for me. On the side, the worst were those damn Niflheim Dark Elves, lost a lot due to them. :(

I can understand where you're coming from on the level design, it does remind me a bit overly of something like Uncharted. A decent number of things in the game are gated by abilities you don't get until later, and a lot of what they hide leads to either extra (mostly similar) bosses or junk. I wouldn't say it's bad, though. The use of circular shortcuts in areas is a bit much, too, reminds me of dungeons in Skyrim.

Nevertheless, these factors didn't much deter my enjoyment. I somewhat understand your complaints, though.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think it´s a very boring story that is told exceptionally well.

Niflheim and Muspelheim are really undercooked.

When the credits rolled this was a 7/10 for me.

After doing everything and getting the Plat it became a 8/10.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My main issues:

The map kinda sucks. It's pretty to look at but nearly useless as a map. It's really just a collectible list.

Not a fan of the tutorial encounters (not just how to play the game, but some of the specific enemy introductions). The first encounter is too many enemies and they each take too long to kill. They make you kill a few before they even teach you how to block, and they introduce many mechanics too slowly for my tastes. The first encounter with those large Draugr that only receive hitstun from the last hit of a regular combo is a bit unfair because you're pit against two of them plus some regular enemies plus another that spawns after you kill one and then followed up by projectile throwing enemies. This was early in the game before you have anywhere near all of your options. Main takeaway here is that those heavy guys should have been first introduced in an encounter that wasn't so ridiculous. I also had issue with the difficulty balance in general. The first few hours were way harder than everything else except a certain optional boss. I played on Give Me a Challenge btw.

Atreus got annoying at times. I know, he pretty much just acted like a real kid would. Kids are annoying.
Have you used the compass? It's actually one of the best I've ever seen in a video game. It actually directs you where to go. Most compasses that I've seen just show you the location but don't take into account if there's a mountain in your path, something you can't go over etc. This will direct you step by step on how to get somewhere. Very useful.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No you can just stand there and the fast travel door with appear.

How do optional realms kill the pacing? You're not even forced to go there for the story. You complain about boss being too easy but it's clear you grinded for the Nifheim armor which made you considerably overpowered for the boss. If you have just stuck to the story you would have had a more difficult time, but you chose to explore and were rewarded for it with better gear.

Complain about early game crafting gear because you can find better ones later in the game?? Uhhh what?
Getting three pieces of Niflheim gear takes almost no time at all, and at the time I wasn't aware it was going to be pretty much the best set in the game.
And it would help if you read the entire sentence for that other point. By the time you have enough material for the second piece of a set I had found better just randomly opening chests.
Stop freaking out because I have some minor gripes with the game, that's the entire point of this thread.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I also think it´s a very boring story that is told exceptionally well.

Niflheim and Muspelheim are really undercooked.

When the credits rolled this was a 7/10 for me.

After doing everything and getting the Plat it became a 8/10.

Agreed!

The writing is fine and I thought there were some interesting moments but for the most part
the story didn't do all that much for me.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Regarding the golden path, HUGE end-game spoiler, don't read:

The in-game justification is that Faye left that trail for you, having foreseen everything that has happened so far.

Besides, visual language like that is game design 101, and definitely not something to be shunned.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this thread would be about valid complaints e.g pacing of story near end. Lack of spectacle for a series that is known for them. Lack of enemy and boss variety. Issues with camera and lock-on.

But this turned out to be just OP wanting it to be a game which it is not aiming to be. It is an action adventure first and RPG second. Exploration is great and if you do just the main story, you will miss plenty of side content and lore.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the golden path, HUGE end-game spoiler, don't read:

The in-game justification is that Faye left that trail for you, having foreseen everything that has happened so far.

Besides, visual language like that is game design 101, and definitely not something to be shunned.
I find that bullshit. Most of the lake was underwater while she was alive, was it not? And she just happened to go to Helheim with her axe that couldn't hurt anything there?

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Have you used the compass? It's actually one of the best I've ever seen in a video game. It actually directs you where to go. Most compasses that I've seen just show you the location but don't take into account if there's a mountain in your path, something you can't go over etc. This will direct you step by step on how to get somewhere. Very useful.

Yes that was pretty amazing. They should definately keep that.

Fardeen

Oct 31, 2017
I hate all the collectibles that some are locked until you complete the main game. The world feels Empty and its a chore.

I hate the grindy realms like nefielheim

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mostly copying my post from OT.

Combat was in some sort of realm between very fast combat like ninja gaiden vs committal action like dark souls, and it wasn't any sweet spot at that. Boss fights were pretty much all lackluster sponges that didn't put you to the edge of your seat. Hyped first boss reminded me more of the press A for awesome gif than anything else. Part of the thing that also contributed to the weak bosses was the poorly handled difficulty balancing and healing system. There generally is just too much of buttons used for combat and let alone the button combinations and holds. Using d-pad for vital turn around function reeks of odd design decisions, which turn around feature is pretty bad to have in fast paced (or slow for that matter) game in the first place.

Hard difficulty felt too much due to Kratos dying to couple of even projectiles and enemies taking shit ton ton of hits and on the other hand normal being not much of challenge.

I would have vastly preferred healing system over, running around the arena breaking things, or at least replenish health after each arena, since you get full health anyways after you die anyways.

Even after 20 hours i constantly activated the runes when i meant to throw axe and vice versa, it just never went to my muscle memory, instead just always pulled me out of the experience to realm of dexterity handling. Yea, yea git gud, whatever, sometimes there is just too much mechanics and i didn't really use the axe throws for more than nightmares or cheese enemies. There should have just one throw and you should have been able call it back with same button instead of triangle, it is so akward to constantly jump from stick to face buttons and back after every throw. I don't really get the praise for axe recall either since it makes you vulnerable and slows down movement. Yes there is skill to recall and attack immediatelly but honestly just another mechanic to long list of mechanics.

Lock-on and sometimes long-winded finishers being on the same button (r3 of all buttons) also signal the idea the designers just wanted to cram as many features as possible without it being technically impossible on a controller. Things like having dodge and roll were really unnecessary, just have one and execute it really well, for some reason i never really got the satisfaction from successful dodge/roll unlike souls series, part of the reason must be that you were always fighting mobs and double tap roll was more of a method to get out of combat to re-position the camera once again.

Speaking of which, camera was also a struggle in combat, it is too close to see behind you so they had resort to indicators for off-screen threats, along with Kratos blocking the view in front of you sometimes, lock-on also worked poorly even on bosses (have constantly re-enable it). Some of the mechanics like parry had slow-mo effects which slowed down the pace for no reason, and i also wonder would omni-directional blocking and parrying ala ninja gaiden would have helped with combat issues. After shielding you couldn't parry immediatelly after, but had to wait for shield to retract little bit which made clumsy for no reason.

Atreus would have been served as non-controllable npc versus having triangle button to shoot arrows and having two additional cool-down abilities, some might tell how awesome it was to build stun meter with Atreus and keep enemies little bit longer in air for combos which at least in hard difficulty i hardly ever had time to complete (like r1, r1, r1, r2) due to mob encounters and projectiles. That way thumb would have been always been able to adjust camera and be ready for aiming axe if need be.

Tl. dr. on combat KISS principle would have improved a combat a lot along with camera improvements.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting three pieces of Niflheim gear takes almost no time at all, and at the time I wasn't aware it was going to be pretty much the best set in the game.
And it would help if you read the entire sentence for that other point. By the time you have enough material for the second piece of a set I had found better just randomly opening chests.
Stop freaking out because I have some minor gripes with the game, that's the entire point of this thread.
You didn't realize lv 6 gold armor was going to be one of the best in the game? Uh huh

And I'm disagreeing with you. Is that not allowed in the thread??

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
In the higher difficulty enemies have different attacks and they don't stagger as easily. It's not just they do more damage and Kratos does less.

And your point about him taking an axe and surviving but a wolf bite killing him is odd. It's a video game, if you're going to complain about that shit then you could have just said how he didn't die in the beginning when he got knocked the fuck out by a God.
I didn't notice any different attacks, but I may be mistaken. Taking more hits to stagger is fair.

The wolf thing just strikes me as odd in regards to enemy balancing. Wolves usually show up in greater numbers than draugr, yet they are not only faster but also have way higher damage output. Maybe they have less HP, but something about their design still seems weird to me.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My only complaints are the fast travel system and some pacing issues in the second half. Nothing too bad I just felt the game lost a little steam.

A few other minor issues were not that many boss variations and not getting a payoff for certain things like freeing three certain imprisoned creatures.

That is all for me.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Sure, the compass is great. I hardly ever used it though; I didn't really need to. I wanted to look at a detailed map to see the layout of the areas for places to explore, not the path to my objective.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Point 2 is false. Gear is not superfluos and enemies become stronger as you move on. For instance try to put in a level one gear mid to late game and tell me if enemies adjust at your level.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the compass is great. I hardly ever used it though; I didn't really need to. I wanted to look at a detailed map to see the layout of the areas for places to explore, not the path to my objective.
I did that by just exploring it myself. Would have been nice to get something more detailed but if I'm honest I almost never looked at the map and just ended up going wherever I wanted/completed random quests.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I find that bullshit. Most of the lake was underwater while she was alive, was it not? And she just happened to go to Helheim with her axe that couldn't hurt anything there?
Who knows that kind of timeline we're talking here. She must have done all of that before the Giants left Midgard and hid their tower thing, which means that Tyr's hidden room must not have been underwater yet.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You didn't realize lv 6 gold armor was going to be one of the best in the game? Uh huh

And I'm disagreeing with you. Is that not allowed in the thread??
You're dismissing my complaints that I had. And no, I didn't think the extremely easy and less time consuming set to get would be better than the much more challenging Valkyries. That's just dumb game design.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice any different attacks, but I may be mistaken. Taking more hits to stagger is fair.

The wolf thing just strikes me as odd in regards to enemy balancing. Wolves usually show up in greater numbers than draugr, yet they are not only faster but also have way higher damage output. Maybe they have less HP, but something about their design still seems weird to me.
They are extremely weak to frost. Anytime I had to face wolves I would use the heavy runic attack called ivaldis something something. 100% of the time would freeze them all in place no matter the level making them much easier to deal with.

I think I read that in the journal when I was having a very difficult time killing them.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I did that by just exploring it myself. Would have been nice to get something more detailed but if I'm honest I almost never looked at the map and just ended up going wherever I wanted/completed random quests.
That's what I did but by the time I was 98% done and wanted to get 100% collectibles and Platinum the game I resorted to using YouTube to find the rest of the collectibles I was missing because the game wasn't going to assist me. I guess developers expect people to do that these days, though.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're dismissing my complaints that I had. And no, I didn't think the extremely easy and less time consuming set to get would be better than the much more challenging Valkyries. That's just dumb game design.
I personally find the Valkyrie set better... But I guess it all depends on what type of runes you put on your armor.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you finally did it you mad man.

I'll recontribute my post from the main thread.

So I platinum-ed it about a week ago. And decided to let it sit a little, both in terms of hype and let it settle for some perspective before I wrote about it.

I had an amazing time, I don't platinum games unless I do. And the game was very smooth in that regard, I didn't have to do a whole lot of extra work to platinum it because most of the items were on the path. Just a few items after reaching the credits which didn't take long.

Anyway, upon reflection some things I liked, some things I didn't. From my experience on "Give me a challenge"

Combat, I mean what can you say, the flow of the combat, the abilities and styles was fantastic. The enemy variety was solid, but nothing spectacular. Enough to create some combat variety at least in a way that you had to somewhat change up your approach, though later this was less and less important. Especially with the right Runic abilities (Tempest and Blessing of Frost) made things quite trivial. The combat flowed very well, especially early on in the title with just axe/shield to melee and back. The game excels in this regard.
To that end, I think it was a mistake to bring back the blades of chaos, especially in regards to making us use them. It was great in terms of the story, the impact of that scene was excellent. It would have been cool to have them back for a boss fight or a small segment. But I think it negatively impacts the flow of combat past that point. As it's highly incentivized to use abilities, over combo flow. Switching to blades of chaos to use abilities or for wide sweeping attacks, then back to leviathan axe made the most sense to do, and output the most hurt/damage. Especially with block/dodge breaking attributes. I think the combat was at its best, when they prioritized the dynamic between the free flow of axe to fist combat. Later I found myself almost never actually engaging in combat with my fists during axe downtime and very rarely even throwing my axe/follow up attacks outside very particular enemies, as it was completely unnecessary and lowered my output.

The very natural rythm of introducing side paths, and side quests. Almost nothing was completely off the beaten path, in a way that you'd have to get lucky stumbling across it, or easy to miss. It was a much more curated experience, and I liked that it was only semi-open world. I never felt particularly lost or aimless throughout, everything I was doing was leading to something. Atreus or Mimir pointing things out/mentioning them and even tying lore and emotional resonance into those components was awesome. I've fallen off a lot of open world experience recently, and this held my attention like a game hasn't in a while due to the excellent flow of the content.

The world, it was an incredible place. Breath taking art and vistas. I mean wow, for instance Thamur's corpse, the introduction and exploring there was a highlight. When the game opens up a bit too, or at least the implication of it opening up after you open the Bifrost, and travel the Alfheim etc. Is amazing. This leads me to the weakest component of the game by far. The emptiness, and meaningful interaction with the world. It very much reminds me of a horror title, giving you the runaround as to why you never see, talk or interact with anyone but monsters and occasionally Brock and Sindri. It was very much a throwback in that regard to the PS2 era limitations/design for me, I get the comparisons to RE4 in this regard. It left the world feeling very devoid of vibrancy and life.

This is, I think very poignantly pointed out by one of the low points in the game and sets the tone for the rest of the title, Alfheim. It's our first experience traveling through the Bifrost, we're visiting a new land, a mirror realm and the game feels like it's opening up. What's this? There's an ongoing war between Dark and Light Elves. Whats the story here? Who will we side with, who will we help. We proceed slowly across, maybe stopping to explore on the side. We watch light elves being massacred by dark elves, listening to Atreus question why this is happening. We kill many Dark Elves, proceeding onward with our task, killing ever more Dark Elves as we move to the inner sanctum for the light of Alfheim. We have a minor cinematic experience, Atreus pulls us out. We leave with the light, letting the Light Elves back in and killing the Dark Elf leader. This experience ends up feeling pretty empty/shallow in the end, a real tease of deeper interaction. Other than the fact we got lost in our mind, and our son killed a ton of Dark Elves with the Leviathan, what a badass, and he's now angry at us because we left him. Ok sure, setting up the interaction/tense situation between Dad and son, I can appreciate that. However literally, the only people in the entire game we encounter other than gods, godesses, Mimir, Brock and Sindri we can't get involved with them beyond combat, we don't know their situation. There's no NPC's to talk to, no sides to take, no depth to their conflict. No quests to undertake. It's an absolute tease for more life in this beautiful but barren land. It's very oddly juxtaposed in the story, and comparative to later experiences sticks out like a sore thumb. Almost as if there had been more planned there, more attention to civilizations and their situations in the future too. But kind of got scrapped and emptied out as time went on. Certainly a low early point.

This continues on, and becomes a representation of what you'll get to explore in the further realms. Small, barren and largely unimportant locations that don't do much to service the story/experience further except have some minor activities and treasures. Hellheim has set piece moments, which are cool and help progress the story. But I can't help but to feel almost all of these locations did little to serve the overall game. What's more, that initial large feeling we get, that wow moment when we see all the locations we can travel to. Is just a tease. Which was pretty disappointing, as we learn later, that we can really only visit a few of these places. With two of them being treasures/Challenge realms.

Which leads me to another sticking point, treasures, challenges, gear and progression. While the game does a great job with the standard games path, leading you through the story with plenty of great, emotional and tense moments. All the while adding in side quests in a decent looping way as you go. It doesn't do a great job with gear progression, and revisiting paths for what you've unlocked at all to keep that steady stream of improvements. Too often did I already have gear far more powerful than what I was finding and things I feel I should have had a while back. Retreading areas which you could now access thanks to new abilties and items, very rarely felt rewarding in a meaningful way. Almost every bramble location, especially in Midgard I found had enchantments, pommels/blades or otherwise that were low level, blue items etc. I think certain items should have been locked to specific encounters/events like the Valkyries for instance. But largely otherwise I think the chests should have been slowly rolled out based on your current level/progress and abilities, versus specific locational chests that were far too often redundant or useless one I found them. Especially since after you find the Chisel, it feels only natural to want to start hunting down Valkyries which you've already found, which give you quite powerful gear.

To this end Muspelheim and Nilfheim played into this awkward gear pacing as well, and the more barren world. If you're like me, you reached Musphelheim fairly early, and did at least a few challenges, got some gear. Then left and largely forgot about it until way later, where that gear was completely irrelevant and the content just easy as can be. Post that here were tons of level 4-5 purple and orange runes on side quests which made a lot of the random "return later when you have X item chests" nearly worthless. After you hit Nilfheim later in the game, you quickly launch from a lower level. I think I was 5, up to 7 or even 8. I mean I think I completed all of Ivaldi's workshop in maybe a few hours just because of the need to grind the anchors boxes, and knowing past that point I was quickly closing in on the end of the game, I felt like I needed to do it then. So yea, in my opinion the pacing of upgrades at least, was not great, and probably would have been better addressed in a different way.

I also think any gear set in the game, should have had the ability to go up to max level. So that a set you really like, and the effects, you could carry with you all the way to level 8, provided you had the materials. Which maybe could have been restricted simply by certain resources only being found at certain corresponding areas tied to the games progression/farm-able to a degree like a souls title. It was disappointing to end the game, and really only be able to choose from a few sets, likely which were Ivaldi's or the Valkyries. Having those pieces have the best set bonuses would have been fine/incentive enough to get them. It probably wasn't necessary to cap various sets to lower levels.

Additionally, the time spent and rewards of Muspelheim and Nilfheim just didn't feel quite right, they were supposed to be largely rewarding and challenging. But for the most part outside Niflheim they simply weren't worth doing and interrupted the pace of the game if you did (Which is why I completely forgot about Muspelheim until I was far too overpowered for it.) I'm not sure those were the experiences in those locations that should have been focused on, side quests dealing with the story of what happened there, maybe some interactions with other peoples or gods, or just nixing them entirely for a longer story/focus, even just more side quests. I think would have been a far better use-age of the time, and been a more rewarding and better flowing experience overall. I get what they wanted to do with the two places, something like Bloodborne Chalice dungeons. But I felt they largely under-delivered and frankly didn't mesh well with the title for me.

I think that is especially underscored by the fact that the games pacing does wax and wane in odd ways at times, especially like I said with Alfheim and then late in the game when things very much slow down. The time and resources of those two trial locations, would have probably been better used to smooth out the main story pacing and add things where necessary.

I really did enjoy my game, despite my nitpicks and weak points I discuss in the spoiler. So take it all with a grain of salt. I just had to/wanted to talk about some things I thought were particular weaknesses on an otherwise fantastic title.

It's hard because I'm not really sure how I can TLDR my post. So I apologize for the length. I hope someone manages to get through it lol.

Well phabh already did, so at least I have that lol.

Last edited:

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm never sure how much of an area I can complete at any given point while playing through the story. You will find puzzles and optional side areas, but it's hard to tell if you are failing to solve a puzzle, or simply you don't have the means to do so at that point in the story

Sometimes BOY will state that it doesn't look like you can progress yet, but this isn't always reliable. These optional bits will always be there to go back to later so it's not the end of the world either way, but it's sometimes frustrating to spend time trying to solve an 'impossible' puzzle that is trivial once you get the tool (or to give up on a puzzle too early that you can already solve because you think you're missing a tool to complete it)

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I personally find the Valkyrie set better... But I guess it all depends on what type of runes you put on your armor.
I really don't think Baldur would have been much harder in that gear either. I found him to be a rather easy for the final story boss. Zeus and Ares were complete monsters compared to him.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I personally thought the level design was incredible. I have no idea how they made the lake area work as well as it did, and how it call connected, with new puzzles being revealed, and connected to stuff you did earlier etc.