Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Its probably not ERA, but I have been seeing a lot of confusion on this topic online, mainly in podcasts. Its a confusing topic because all of this stuff mixes together and all these rebranding terms is really just looking towards a future 10-15 years out. Anyway, I think these are the basics:

Backwards Compatibility

A Xbox One, Xbox 360 or Original Xbox game that plays on the Series X. Developers do not make any changes to the code for the new hardware. But just like Xbox One BC, Microsoft itself may do something to speed up the game. But developers do not do anything. If you own Madden 2020 or whatever, it will probably be backwards compatible and still run on the Series X, similar to what it will run like on the Xbox One. You won't need to buy it again if you want to play the Xbox One version of the game.

Example:

Game A

Built only with Xbox One in mind. Not patched for newer hardware.

Xbox Wire said:
Backward Compatibility
– At Xbox, we've made a promise to compatibility: you can expect thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, your Xbox One gaming accessories, your Xbox gaming legacy, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to work with Xbox Series X. Backward compatible games will benefit from the power and performance of Xbox Series X, resulting in steadier framerates, faster load times, improved resolution and visual fidelity. Fans and game creators can feel confident they will be able to play and create the best version of their games on the Xbox Series X.

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

Optimized for Series X

A game that is built with the Series X dev kit, its built with the hardware in mind. Developers make changes to existing games or make brand new games to take advantage of the hardware, aka its a next gen game. Could be a game that was built for Xbox One, but has been patched to run better on the Series X. Or it could be a game that is exclusively built for the Series X. It just means, this game is built for this hardware.

Example:

Game B:

Originally built with Xbox One in mind, but patched to take advantage of the Series X.

Game C:

Built only with Series X in mind. Does not run on previous gen hardware.

Optimized for Xbox Series X –
Games built using the Xbox Series X development kit and designed to take advantage of the unique capabilities of the Xbox Series X. These include new titles built natively using the Xbox Series X development environment as well as previously released titles that have been rebuilt specifically for Xbox Series X. They will showcase unparalleled load-times, visuals, responsiveness and framerates up to 120 fps.

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

Smart Delivery

A game that is Optimized for Series X, but also runs on multiple devices with one license.
A game that has been built for next gen, but runs on weaker hardware. Basically think of it like what we have now, a game that runs on Xbox One and Xbox One X, it runs on multiple devices and has been Optimized for the Xbox One X. Just new branding, but its essentially what we have now on the Xbox One line of devices. Aka, we won't charge you for a 4k patch or whatever.

Smart Delivery
– Smart Delivery is a new technology introduced with Xbox Series X that will ensure you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. All Xbox Game Studios titles that are optimized for Xbox Series X, including "Halo Infinite" will support Smart Delivery, providing the best available version for whichever console you choose to play on. For example, this means if you purchase the Xbox One version of a supported title, we will identify and deliver the best version of it to your Xbox One, as usual. If you decide to jump into the next generation with Xbox Series X, we will automatically provide the Xbox Series X optimized version of the game at no additional cost if and when it becomes available. Smart Delivery is available to all Xbox developers.

news.xbox.com

Its a little confusing at first since really the only devices that these games can run on are the Series X and Xbox One atm. But when you think about this new rebranding of the Xbox line of Consoles and how they are leaving generations behind, it makes sense when you think 10 years out or even when the Series S is announced.

Far future consoles:

Xbox 2030
Xbox 2035
Xbox 2040

GTA 7 built for the Xbox 2030, but patched to take advantage of the Xbox 2040. So GTA 7 is optimized for the Xbox 2040 and with Smart Delivery, the game will run and play the best version of the game on each device. And maybe GTA 6, built for the Series X, is backwards compatible with the Xbox 2040 but just runs like the Series X version, no enhancements.

Also behold my excellent paint skills:

OZVySpa.png

8TcrLkf.png

Anyway, thats how I understand it. I believe that is correct and I hope that clears up any confusion.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Optimized for Series X just means that the game will have some sort of patch applied to it that makes it use some additional resources that Series X has to offer.
Much like "Xbox One X Enhanced", but for Series X.

4K, HDR are separate from this.

Smart Delivery is also separate from all those above, and is also a publisher-level decision.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I think smart delivery is just their way of consolidating tiles in the game library list. If a cross-gen game has smart delivery you won't see a console brand on its tile the way Xbox and Xbox 360 games have on Xbox One. It'll just look like its normal tile on both Xbox One and Series X as you have access to both, and the console you're using automatically determines which version you get.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
So what exactly does "Optimized for Series X" actually mean? All of this reads as marketing bullshit but this one seems really nebulous because I've read it several times and it doesn't... actually mean anything specific? Just something about this version of the game is different versus from the XB1 version.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So what exactly does "Optimized for Series X" actually mean? All of this reads as marketing bullshit but this one seems really nebulous because I've read it several times and it doesn't... actually mean anything specific? Just something about this version of the game is different versus from the XB1 version.
I feel like we won't actually know until games are out and people can compare the Series X version and like a One X Enhanced version.

Smart Delivery to me just sounds like Cross Buy. Which is going to be interesting to see how they do it for disc based games for installing onto a hard drive.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Best way to put it would be it has received an Xbox One X/PS4 Pro patch.

OP
OP
Windu

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
from my understanding, all it means is the dev used a xbox series x dev kit, basically the game is next gen. Microsoft hasn't said anything about having requirements for 120 fps or 4k or whatever. From all I have read, devs can do what they want. Can be a game that is exclusive to next gen hardware, or a game that runs on Xbox One that received a next gen patch, its just that the dev used the series x dev kit and the game takes advantage of the hardware in some way.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
BC with whatever base upgrades across the board is one aspect.

Smart Delivery = Optimized for Series X

Right?

OP
OP
Windu

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Right?
almost.

Optimized for Series X can also be games that only run on Series X. It just means, that this game was built from the ground up or an existing game was patched to take advantage of the new hardware. Its the next gen version of this game.

Smart Delivery is a game that runs on multiple devices, and but is also optimized for the Series X. And all upgrade patches are free, no charges.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Right?

Smart delivery = you buy a current game, and you get the better next gen version free
Optimized for Series X = build for next gen version. even if a current gen version exist and you buy it, you (likely) do not get the next gen version free

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah thanks this seems like the best way to think of it.

I honestly think theres some good marketing going on by MS here because its one of those terms that sounds really nice without having to mean a whole lot.
True - this is up to the developer on what the patches look like and how extensive they are and even whether they get patched to be optimised or not is entirely down to them. However, we also had MS actually making X enhanced patches for third party BC games which really were the best thing about the X IMO. Seeing some of those old 360 games being given a real performance and graphical increase was impressive.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Basically Smart Delivery is "crossbuy" but more streamlined. It's one SKU.

Right now if I buy Resogun for PS4, it also gives me the PS3 and PSVita versions. Those are separate SKUs.

Smart Delivery basically says, there is one store page for this. Pay for it, and it'll play on whichever device supports the game.

Kind of like Play Anywhere, except it includes multiple generations of Xbox now. That's the only real difference.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Funny you should say that era isn't confused because there are still a ton of people who don't understand.

Optimized for series X = runs natively on series X.

Smart delivery = runs natively on both Xbox one and series X. You'll automatically install the correct version. (Note: the series X versions are native ports, I see so many people saying that it's enhanced BC)

Enhanced Backwards Compatibility = Microsoft will enhance certain Xbox One titles without touching the code like they did for some 360 titles. This can include higher resolutions or framerates being beyond their caps and the new AI assisted HDR implementation. it's important to note that the developer doesn't need to patch their game. It's all done by MS.

Standard backwards compatibility = All games that run on an Xbox One will be able to run on Series X (except kinect titles). Games with dynamic resolutions should maintain their higher resolutions and framerates should be improved, but not beyond any cap.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Optimized for series X = runs natively on series X.

The main confusion is...isn't this what any series X game would do? All Series X games will go through the series X design environment. How could they not? You don't realize a game on a console without its development kit. Does this mean all series X games will have this label? Because that doesn't sound right.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
The main confusion is...isn't this what any series X game would do? All Series X games will go through the series X design environment. How could they not? You don't realize a game on a console without its development kit. Does this mean all series X games will have this label? Because that doesn't sound right.
Series S will be a thing by launch and crossgen game boxes are not very clear otherwise.

Microsoft is trying to blur the lines between generations so I get why it's confusing.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks OP for the breakdown.. Glad to see not only MS supporting it but UbiSoft and CDprojekt too. two of my favorite publishers/dev.. It's an excellent idea and I hope more of them jump in.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
The easiest way I understand Smart Delivery is to go back to the beginning of this gen.

Assassins Creed Black Flag had a 360 version and an Xbox One version. They sat on the selves separately and if you had the 360 version and wanted the One version, you were buying the game again.

Smart Delivery ensures that the license you buy for a game allows you to play the version of the game that matches the hardware you are playing on.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Smart Delivery doesn't necessarily mean a shared license, just the guarantee that you will download the correct build and not a Xbox One version, something that could have an influence on the storage used (data duplication is extremely high on current-gen games).

So if you buy EA Darts & Snooker Unlimited Pro Championship Ultimate Challenge 2020 for Xbox One without a separate Series X license, you will download the "backward compatible version" on your Series X. But if three month later you buy another EA Darts & Snooker Unlimited Pro Championship Ultimate Challenge 2020 but for Series X this time, then the OS will detect the correct version.

edit :
That's incorrect and is why what EA is doing is not part of smart delivery. If a title is not giving you native builds across consoles it won't have smart delivery listed as a feature.
Ok!

Last edited:

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I think this is being added because you might end up with publishers that just choose to (re?)sell Xbox One games without optimizing it for the Series X while letting customers know it will still work on a Series X. Similar to what publishers did with 360 games in Xbox One boxes.

1vtCTVr.jpg

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if I buy an XBO version of the game, I can't expect enhancements when played on an XSX through backward compatibility?

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I think Smart Delivery doesn't necessarily mean a shared license, just the guarantee that you will download the correct build and not a Xbox One version, something that could have an influence on the storage used (data duplication is extremely high on current-gen games).

So if you buy EA Darts & Snooker Unlitmied Pro Championship Ultimate 2020 for Xbox One without a separate Series X license, you will download the "backward compatiable version" on your Series X. But if three month later you buy another EA Darts & Snooker Unlitmied Pro Championship Ultimate 2020 for Series X this time, then the OS will detect the correct version.
That's incorrect and is why what EA is doing is not part of smart delivery. If a title is not giving you native builds across consoles it won't have smart delivery listed as a feature.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
So if I buy an XBO version of the game, I can't expect enhancements when played on an XSX through backward compatibility?
It will naturally run faster with the faster clocks and storage which will improve frame rates and resolutions for games that have dynamic resolutions.

The BC team is also working to enhance games on an individual basis with higher resolutions, framerates and the new AI HDR implementation. All with no work needed by the developers and doesn't touch the game code. Just like they did for 360 games on Xbox one X.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Automatically? No. This is only true for games with variable framerates and resolutions. They will now most likely always run maxed.

But anything like making a 30 fps game 60 or anything like that that requires discrete changes, no. That's never been how this works.

At best you can hope for something like vsync and AF like how the xbox one X applies those to all xbox 360 games.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
You're not wrong, but with the One X, this made a big difference. Even if you did NOTHING except compile it in the One X XDK, you saw significant improvements in performance (or at least you were given access to far more of the hardware). That may well be true with the Series X, as well. Of course, it took a bit more work to actually make use of all of the hardware, let alone to really make the most of the port. Optimized may not necessarily mean a whole lot in SPECIFIC, but that doesn't mean it's not meaningful in terms of end user experience.

I feel like they should've had any requirements at all. The fact that they're touting a logo and can't really flat out say what it means is ridiculous.
Yes and no. We don't know what it DOESN'T mean, yet. As in, we don't know which games applied for the badge but were rejected. It's not fair to conclude that there are absolutely no requirements (I'd argue that using the next gen XDK is already a big one, but whatever). Regardless, it doesn't matter all that much, there are no standards that MS can apply that would work universally across all genres and games that would be meaningful in the slightest. This is a marketing thing, you'll have to look at the specs to understand what it means (which is more than doable for us who care, and entirely unnecessary for those who don't).

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I think that you touched on a point that I've been grappling with about Smart Delivery. If a game offers smart delivery that means that when the next Xbox AFTER series X comes out, be it a mid gen refresh or the successor, it will also run optimized for that console as well with no additional purchase. Meaning 20 years from now if I boot up Halo Infinite it'll look like a title built for the current Xbox.

Is that possible?

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Optimized for Series X means it's a dedicated Series X SKU of a game.
No. The PS4 and Xbox One game that are optimised for Pro and one x are not a dedicated SKU. And this is the same thing. An only nextgen game are a dedicated SKU. I don't understand why the people are confused about these terms.

Optimised for serie x = the game will run better on serie x than xbox one
Smart delivery = cross-buy

This is just new world for old things.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I feel like we won't actually know until games are out and people can compare the Series X version and like a One X Enhanced version.

Smart Delivery to me just sounds like Cross Buy. Which is going to be interesting to see how they do it for disc based games for installing onto a hard drive.
Smart delivery is better than cross buy as it links your account to the game title rather than the console. its about streamlining your save data and other things. But imagine you have a one x in your bedroom after you bought a series x for the lounge and you want to push a download from the gamepass app in your phone to your Xbox consoles. Smart delivery makes sure the relevant texture packs go to the right console so that your one x doesn't get something only the series x can use. This will make more sense as the series E (lockheart) comes in to play as there will be consoles pushing 1080p textures and other pushing 4k textures

and this should also help devs only have to manage one SKU with patches etc.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think that you touched on a point that I've been grappling with about Smart Delivery. If a game offers smart delivery that means that when the next Xbox AFTER series X comes out, be it a mid gen refresh or the successor, it will also run optimized for that console as well with no additional purchase. Meaning 20 years from now if I boot up Halo Infinite it'll look like a title built for the current Xbox.

Is that possible?
Don't count on it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now more confused than before.

What exactly are you confused on?

Smart delivery just means if you buy a cross gen game, you'll get both versions. For instance, you buy Halo Infinite for Xbox One. You don't want it downloaded higher res textures, etc etc. Or you want to download Halo Infinite on your brand new Xbox Series X. You already own the game - and it'll appear in your library and you just click download. Done.

Optimized for Series X just means it was developed with a Series X dev kit. If I go on the Xbox Live store, and see Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 7, I'll know Yakuza 7 was optimized for Series X.

Backwards comparability should be automatic for most, if not all, games. And some games should run better, look better, etc. Games with dynamic resolution or variable frame rates should benefit, and Microsoft will try to enhance games overtime.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why introduce something you don't intend to carry forward?

Will the successor not have GamePass? As they grow more platform agnostic I think the possibility for this grows.
You are talking about putting in a game from today into a brand new 2040 Xbox console and it looking like a brand new game from 2040. That would require the developers to put in some serious work each generation, of old games, none-the-less.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Smart Delivery ensures that the license you buy for a game allows you to play the version of the game that matches the hardware you are playing on.

Now this is where it gets tricky.

What if a new Xbox Series X owner doesn't connect their system to the internet? Their last gen Xbox One game can't download a patch on their Series X. Will they not get Series X type graphics?

At first I thought maybe they can have both builds on the disc. But I don't think the Xbox One reads BDXL discs. Maybe a digital code in the case? But then used games comes into play.

I think it's worth the sacrifice of the small # of people who don't connect their system to the internet for the benefit of the majority of gamers, BUT there has to be a disclaimer on the front of the box mentioning "Internet connection required".

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
We still don't know if Optimized for Series X means it won't work on Xbox One. Probably not.

So still there will be another badge for Xbox One

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
At first I thought maybe they can have both builds on the disc. But I don't think the Xbox One reads BDXL discs. Maybe a digital code in the case? But then used games comes into play.

Is it impossible for XB1 to at least read a BDXL disc purely from an authentication standpoint?

E.g. a XB1 reads that it's a BDXL SX disc - and can't download any data off it, but it recognizes the game is a Smart Delivery game and downloads the XB1 digital version from the store, but it's a disc-dependant digital version ( aka to play it, you need to have the disc in the drive )

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I think the "Optimized for Series X" is the most confusing one since it doesn't mean one specific thing as far as I can tell.
It basically means that a game with that badge has any kind of Series X enhancement that makes use of the specific hardware but it doesn't tell you out of the gate what that enhancement is.
AC:Valhalla for example gets faster loading times. That's kind of a no brainer due to the SSD. It doesn't even tell you how significant that enhancement is.
What if the loading time is only a second faster? It's obviously going to much faster than that but the badge doesn't tell you how big of an improvement it actually is.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This is really confusing and I think they need to work on their message a bit more.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No. The PS4 and Xbox One game that are optimised for Pro and one x are not a dedicated SKU. And this is the same thing. An only nextgen game are a dedicated SKU. I don't understand why the people are confused about these terms.

Optimised for serie x = the game will run better on serie x than xbox one
Smart delivery = cross-buy

This is just new world for old things.
What? No. Optimized does not just mean "runs better on next gen" XD. Most every game will work better on Series X than One, even if the devs do absolutely nothing to the code, thanks to the Back Compat innovations. Using the term "SKU" is misleading, that's a retail term not a game unit term. There could just be one "SKU", but still be completely different versions of the game on diff hardware. After all, a launch Destiny disk could be sold the same physical SKU as the disk in 2 years, but that doesn't mean they're the same game or that they can interoperate.

But yes, where One and One X are the same generation, running on similar hardware (and PS4 and Pro even more so - literally just the same hardware, again) - Series X and PS5 are not just linear upgrades in the same way. There are fairly significant hardware changes that require significant software alterations. I think OP explained it well enough:

Back Compat = Devs don't have to do any work. Games just work, often better.

Optimized = Devs did at least some amount of work (how much? we're not sure yet)

Smart Delivery = Devs did the SPECIFIC work of creating interoperable current gen and next gen software that can cross-entitle and carry progression. Publishers then made the SPECIFIC business decision of making both versions available for one purchase. (MS then did the "smart delivery" part behind the scenes to make this seamless for the end user - who will thereby end up not valuing it LOL)

Why introduce something you don't intend to carry forward?

Will the successor not have GamePass? As they grow more platform agnostic I think the possibility for this grows.
Because Optimized = Devs have to do work. Are devs still supporting 360 games? GTA5, I guess. WOW? Not too many other ones, really. It's something they COULD do, but it's not something that the vast majority of devs are even in a position to do, realistically. MS will probably make it possible, though.

OP
OP
Windu

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Is that possible?
Well future hardware would have different tags on them. Instead of "Optimized for Series X", the Xbox that releases in 2030 might say "Optimized for Xbox 2030". That of course would require developer input. Any game that is older than the hardware, will be supported by Backwards Compatibility, so a game that came out for Series X which would be tagged "optimized for Series X" would probably run similar to what it would on the Series X on hardware in 2030.

Of course there are things the dev could do now, like dynamic resolutions, unlocked framerates etc.. basically future proofing a game, like you do on PC. But to make a game look brand new? Devs need to do some work, and that would have a new optimized tag. It would probably still have the Smart Delivery branding, because it would be one license across multiple devices where devs have gone in and made it work better on some, like the Series X. But it wouldn't have a optimized tag for the 2030 model of Xbox if it wasn't built for the best hardware at the time, because you are not going to advertise that a game has been designed to work great on 10 year old hardware that we don't sell anymore.

Not sure if that all makes sense, but it does in my head.
I'm now more confused than before.
ha yeah sorry. i'm sure it will be clear once the actual products and numerous different Xbox devices are out and Microsoft does all of its stuff.
We still don't know if Optimized for Series X means it won't work on Xbox One. Probably not.

So still there will be another badge for Xbox One
yeah, games that are on Xbox One now, can be patched to be enhanced and take advantage of the new hardware. So games optimized for Series X can be games that run on Xbox One, or they could be games that have never had any intention of running on One. Its just that the developer, took a game, and used the Series X dev environment and made it so it takes advantage of the extra horsepower of the Series X.
This is really confusing and I think they need to work on their message a bit more.
indeed. I think they should have held all of these terms till they announced their full hardware lineup, aka the Series S and all that. And when they were ready to show packaging etc...right now without all that, I can see how it can be hard to get your head around.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
But yes, where One and One X are the same generation, running on similar hardware (and PS4 and Pro even more so - literally just the same hardware, again) - Series X and PS5 are not just linear upgrades in the same way. There are fairly significant hardware changes that require significant software alterations. I think OP explained it well enough:
The Pro and One X optimisation require too a software alteration. It's not out of the box for the developpers.