• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
70 OLED Light for DV? lol there are so many things wrong with these settings and people will blindly copy them and mess up their picture, oh well..

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
70 OLED Light for DV? lol there are so many things wrong with these settings and people will blindly copy them and mess up their picture, oh well..
You must pair these settings with the USB DV Cinema custom profile, otherwise PQ and DV tone mapping will not be accurate.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
21 ms response time? I thought OLED was way faster than that. Doesnt LG say its .01?
.01ms response time on a TV? You're going to have to get a PC monitor for that, TV's aren't close to that. 20ms is very good when it comes to TV's though. I think the Sony OLEDS are higher for example.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I just cant get used to HDR Game Mode on my C7. Its just so damn dim, it really ruines my HDR feel. Horizon Zero Dawn for example is nearly unplayable when its dark in the game on my PS4 Pro with Game Mode, Standard is just more vivid and bright. Tried Horizon 4 on X earlier to see if it changed, but it feels like you're constantly racing in overcast so to say. I tweaked my HDR Standard mode to my liking, but I will check your HDR Technicolor Mode settings to see if its better. Some of the colors in Standard can be a tad bright/off, but the added brightness is worth that trade off for me personally.

I am not affected by input lag as I barely notice it and play exclusively single player games.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Op. this is great. Will check against what I have and change accordingly.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I just cant get used to HDR Game Mode on my C7. Its just so damn dim, it really ruines my HDR feel. Horizon Zero Dawn for example is nearly unplayable when its dark in the game on my PS4 Pro with Game Mode, Standard is just more vivid and bright. Tried Horizon 4 on X earlier to see if it changed, but it feels like you're constantly racing in overcast so to say. I tweaked my HDR Standard mode to my liking, but I will check your HDR Technicolor Mode settings to see if its better. Some of the colors in Standard can be a tad bright/off, but the added brightness is worth that trade off for me personally.

I am not affected by input lag as I barely notice it and play exclusively single player games.
Forza Horizon 4 has some good HDR calibration settings ingame, i switched between HDR Game and Technicolor and didn't really see an immediate difference compared to what i did on Spiderman for example.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

Standard HDR mode has the worst tone mapping of all LG modes, I would totally avoid it.

With calibrated HDR Game Mode and X1X, Forza Horizon 4 (set @ 3.500 nits in HDR Video Settings) is absolutely glorious on my B7.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I don't think you should blindly copy these settings. There are many things which are unusual. I'm gonna quote DOT from the TV thread.

You can achieve a perfect calibration on a 7 using just white balance alone, hitting the CMS on the majority of TV's causing colour posterisation, and he's made a ton of changes! It's not needed at all, also Dolby Vision calibration is not in a good way either, the golden sample material needed to dial it in causes problems too, so experienced calibrators wouldn't do any of those things.

Literally everything is incorrect, including all that Xbox stuff.
If you're gonna copy settings, I'd stick with RTINGs.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
Will this work for PS4 Pro?

Have a B7 2017, but not an xbox user. MY settings are wack and I need help.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Guys, I don't think you should blindly copy these settings. There are many things which are unusual. I'm gonna quote DOT from the TV thread.

If you're gonna copy settings, I'd stick with RTINGs.

Read what again? that you need to install a mysterious Custom DV pre-calibrated file with it? You don't even know what was changed in that profile.

Also, this.

The DV file is an update for the DV Cinema tone mapping, making it less dim in most scenes (due to how all DV contents are mastered at 4.000 nits reference and over, and these are 700 nits TVs) , while preserving highlights and curve. Together with this "fix", all other settings should be set in order to also have more accurate and natural colors, especially for skin tones.

External DV certified equipment and workflow was used to create that custom file.

If you don't like the results you can still revert back just restoring DV Cinema preset to its defaults or factory reset the TV.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
The DV file is an update for the DV Cinema tone mapping, making it less dim in most scenes (due to how all DV contents are mastered at 4.000 nits reference and over, and these are 700 nits TVs) , while preserving highlights and curve. Together with this "fix", all other settings should be set in order to also have more accurate and natural colors, especially for skin tones.

External DV certified equipment and workflow was used to create that custom file.

If you don't like the results you can still revert back just restoring DV Cinema preset to its defaults or factory reset the TV.
That's why RTINGS recommends Cinema Home instead of Cinema, because it's brighter.
From their site:
When the TV detects Dolby Vision HDR content, it will also give you 5 'HDR Picture Mode' options. For movies, the 'Cinema Home' picture mode is the best option available since it will give you more control of the settings, again similar to what you have access with 'IFS Expert (Dark Room)' with SDR content and similarly to the HDR10 setting, here the 'Cinema home' is also brighter than the other mode. When in Dolby Vision HDR, the recommended 'OLED LIGHT' setting is 50. Raising 'OLED LIGHT' higher than 50 will raise the 'Gamma', so this can help if you notice black crush (loss of detail in the black regions of the screen).

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
That's why RTINGS recommends Cinema Home instead of Cinema, because it's brighter.
From their site:
When the TV detects Dolby Vision HDR content, it will also give you 5 'HDR Picture Mode' options. For movies, the 'Cinema Home' picture mode is the best option available since it will give you more control of the settings, again similar to what you have access with 'IFS Expert (Dark Room)' with SDR content and similarly to the HDR10 setting, here the 'Cinema home' is also brighter than the other mode. When in Dolby Vision HDR, the recommended 'OLED LIGHT' setting is 50. Raising 'OLED LIGHT' higher than 50 will raise the 'Gamma', so this can help if you notice black crush (loss of detail in the black regions of the screen).
DV Cinema Home is overly bright, with slightly clipped highlights and raised black. It is also affected by the "white flash" and "static gray box" bug during black frame scenes transition (e.g. Stranger Things S02E1).

DV Cinema is more accurate, it only needs a slightly higher gamma and better flesh tones, and USB file + custom settings help quite a bit in that.

Nov 14, 2017
You're gonna have to post some receipts for that.
Hurm, I remember seeing an article on Eurogamer last year where they dug into the configuration for the B6 (which is pretty similar to the 7 in terms of calibration) but now I can't for the life of me find it. I remember it because I read it around the same time I bought my B6.

It seems RTings recommends 0, so I guess that's best! Ignore my previous comments.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Hurm, I remember seeing an article on Eurogamer last year where they dug into the configuration for the B6 (which is pretty similar to the 7 in terms of calibration) but now I can't for the life of me find it. I remember it because I read it around the same time I bought my B6.

It seems RTings recommends 0, so I guess that's best! Ignore my previous comments.
There is a tricky thing about the sharpness setting on the B7, tho. I wondered why there was a sharpness slider AND an additional "Edge Enhancer" setting, so I did some testing. Turns out, the sharpness setting does NOTHING if Edge Enhancer is off. Edge Enhancer is literally a "Use the sharpness slider?" toggle. You can test this yourself by cranking the slider to max then toggle Edge Enhancer on and off.

RTINGs incorrectly states having it "On" is really off, when in truth it should be off if you want no sharpness and the sharpness slider then just does nothing.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have an Xbox X but I do have a regular PS4, nvdia Shield, and Apple TV 4k. Would your settings still be good for me?

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I know they made a video, if that helps. Not sure there was an actual article.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
There is a tricky thing about the sharpness setting on the B7, tho. I wondered why there was a sharpness slider AND an additional "Edge Enhancer" setting, so I did some testing. Turns out, the sharpness setting does NOTHING if Edge Enhancer is off. Edge Enhancer is literally a "Use the sharpness slider?" toggle. You can test this yourself by cranking the slider to max then toggle Edge Enhancer on and off.

RTINGs incorrectly states having it "On" is really off, when in truth it should be off if you want no sharpness and the sharpness slider then just does nothing.
With Sharpness at 0 texts, menus and subtitles are a bit blurry, even in Native 4K sources.
Setting it at 10 provides clear texts without oversharpening artifacts at all.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
You have a lot of 20 point CMS adjustments. That generally wasn't needed on 7 series or even 8 series. The only downside I see to it though for your SDR settings is that with so many adjustments to Green is that you are locking people into 2.2 gamma. Also with OLED light at 49 and 2.2 gamma what are you targeting? like 65fL? Day mode only it seems. For DV doesn't matter much since it is based off a 2.2 target initially anyways. Still a lot of adjustments. When I have done DV using a Videoforge Pro and made excessive adjustments to DV the charts looks great but when checking against reference material it was off on various scenes. I found that making heavy adjustments that are meaningful to influence the charts to look right do more harm then good. I haven't touched a 7 series in almost a year so maybe I'm mistaken

Also just curious what pattern, pattern size and APL did you use for your calibrations? Also why Technicolor as opposed to ISF modes?
They are in fact not "needed", but it's a fine tuning to make the RGB curve and colors even closer to target and, at the same time, have more natural colors on screen, especially for skin tones.

The TV Foot Lumens target was 55 for SDR, an "happy medium" (together with the other settings) to fit both Dark/Dim Rooms, but you can adjust SDR OLED Light to your preference based on room light conditions.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
You should post the DV file on the AVS calibration thread if you want validation. Talking to calibrators and industry people messing with DV brightness is a no no but I'm always open to someone finding a way around it. It'd be good to have it peer reviewed.
The DV file config comes from AVSForum itself.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Great thread, do you have configs for PC mode too?
Unfortunately "PC Input" mode is severely bugged with LG 2017 OLED series.

"PC Input" is good on paper because mantains 21ms low input lag with any SDR/HDR/DV preset, but with big downsides:
  1. It always forces Chroma Subsampling at 4:4:4, and this auto downgrade both HDR and DV from 10-bit to 8-bit, no matter how you setup all the rest. This will translate to much worse color banding, tone mapping;
  2. Rec2020 color gamut is not loaded properly in HDR/DV, and all colors look washed out
  3. All Dynamic Contrast options are greyed out, so Active HDR can never be enabled setting DC to Low while being in that Input, even using technicolor HDR preset
I would totally avoid it and stick with Standard input + Standard Color Space + 4:2:2 Chroma.
Or use "PC Input" only for real "PC" usage, for SDR/8-Bit content only (but this would just waste the 4K/HDR10 capability of the TV?)

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

"PC Input" is good on paper because mantains 21ms low input lag with any SDR/HDR/DV preset, but with big downsides:
  1. It always forces Chroma Subsampling at 4:4:4, and this auto downgrade both HDR and DV from 10-bit to 8-bit, no matter how you setup all the rest. This will translate to much worse color banding, tone mapping;
  2. Rec2020 color gamut is not loaded properly in HDR/DV, and all colors look washed out
  3. All Dynamic Contrast options are greyed out, so Active HDR can never be enabled setting DC to Low while being in that Input, even using technicolor HDR preset
I would totally avoid it and stick with Standard input + Standard Color Space + 4:2:2 Chroma.
Or use "PC Input" only for real "PC" usage, for SDR/8-Bit content only (but this would just waste the 4K/HDR10 capability of the TV?)

Oh I see, I have an E6 OLED, but I will stick to my calibrated picture settings for my PC then as well. Thank you for the insight :)

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
What's the easiest way to do a custom calibration without spending a fortune these days?

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017

Is this bug fixed on the 2018 models?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Is this bug fixed on the 2018 models?
Point 2. and 3. for sure with latest 2018 series firmware, but point 1. is just a physical bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0. Cannot be addressed by software, but only with an HDMI 2.1 Certified TV.

So I would still not use "PC Input" mode for 2018 models as 10-bit HDR is more important and impactful than 4:4:4 Chroma

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
With Sharpness at 0 texts, menus and subtitles are a bit blurry, even in Native 4K sources.
Setting it at 10 provides clear texts without oversharpening artifacts at all.
Please read my post again. The sharpness slider has no effect on the picture if Edge Enhancer is turned off, so turning Edge Enhancer off disables all artificial sharpening.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Please read my post again. The sharpness slider has no effect on the picture if Edge Enhancer is turned off, so turning Edge Enhancer off disables all artificial sharpening.
Edge Enhancer On both for SDR and HDR is LG recommended value for professional calibrators, and EE coupled with Sharpness at 10 provide the best definition of texts and fine details so far.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Edge Enhancer On both for SDR and HDR is LG recommended value for professional calibrators, and EE coupled with Sharpness at 10 provide the best definition of texts and fine details so far.
The only time artificial sharpening should be used is for poor quality sources, like cable.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Mine has been pro calibrated with sharpness at 10, 0 is too soft.
Ah, you said most of this users settings were wrong but this one is actually correct? Damn, even RTINGs got that wrong then. TV settings are such a mess. So your set was calibrated with Sharpness 10 and EE on? Would you mind posting your full calibration settings?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, you said most of this users settings were wrong but this one is actually correct? Damn, even RTINGs got that wrong then. TV settings are such a mess. So your set was calibrated with Sharpness 10 and EE on? Would you mind posting your full calibration settings?

Didn't see sharpness, but CMS is a total no go, also DV calibration is not workable either, it's one thing heavily changing CMS on your own set, but then for others to use it is crazy.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Glad this thread popped up because my 2017 B7A has some very noticeable color banding in HDR especially with Sea of Thieves. I can not figure out if it's normal, SoT issue, Xbox issue or tv issue. I will provide a picture when I get home but when looking at the sky you can clearly see when shades of blue are changing. Anyone else have an issue like this?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the work you've put into this. I have a B7 which is hands down the best looking TV I've ever seen and absolutely worth the higher than normal price I'd usually consider for a TV.

However, to my admittedly untrained eye, I think the picture settings look good as they are without any tinkering. The only thing I've done is lower the brightness in HDR mode - Destiny 2 was nearly blinding on my One X with the white/bright grey loading screen and menus.

Fiddling with the settings on TVs and wondering if things look just right gives me anxiety. It's the same reason I've switched from Android to iOS - Android has so many options to tinker with and toggle to your liking and iOS restricts me in a way that I don't have that itch.