Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Is the burn in a real thing on OLED's? Seems strange that it would be, especially given that many programs throw their logos on the screen permanently.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I finally sold my C7 for a decent price and haven't been paying attention to LGs more recent lineage what exactly is the CX? Is it just meant to be C10? Why would one get the C9 over it?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, the TV is amazing and I've dialed in almost everything. The only issue I'm having is that I cannot enable dynamic contrast. I have HDMI Ultra Deep Color and Instant Game response enabled and have named the input PC and used the PC icon. Running on a 2080 RTX. I was able to change the dynamic contrast for my Xbox one X and my PS4 pro, so I'm not sure why it can't be enabled on my PC input (1440p, 120hz). I have HDR enabled in windows 10.

Not the end of the world as it looks amazing but I'd like to know if it's currently possible to enable it.

I don't see why you'd want that, I only put it on the odd time for comparison. I don't have a pc hooked up to mine so can't help just wanted to post to say I don't think you're missing out.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Closer to $500 huh? It's simply too expensive. I would happily pay $150 for something like this. Wonder when they'll fully automate the process so anyone can rent the equipment and do it themselves. Kinda like Audyssey EQ for audio.
Calman AutoCal does just that; but you need a license to run the software on your computer ($145), and the hardware is delicate and expensive.
The least-expensive option for a suitable OEM meter is $250, while the measurement mics that come with your AVR probably cost a few dollars at most and the software is a part of the device.
So it's not really feasible to rent that out to someone.

It used to be that high-end graphic design monitors would have the ability to run self-calibration routines, and because they were able to profile a meter to that specific display rather than one which was tuned to work with anything, it would cost about $150.
This is the first example I found in a search:

nec-selfcal-cujkj.png

It looks like this particular monitor works with a retail eye-one meter rather than one tailored for the display though, which would be more expensive. Some displays would even have the option to use many different common meters rather than a specific one.
You have to wonder why none of the TV manufacturers have released a product like that yet, as I'm sure their SmartTV platforms could handle the processing required.

At the same time: higher-end displays are so well calibrated out of the box now that there's really very little need for it any more.
So long as you have the understanding required to select the right picture settings, you're 95% of the way there now.
Professional calibration is really only going to get you that extra 5% most of the time.
It's not like things used to be where TVs had no good white balance presets, or required the user to dial in a complex color-management system to achieve accurate color.

Note: this does not apply to projectors.
I would strongly recommend you get a pro to calibrate those, or learn to do it yourself.
I had to put in quite a bit of work to get my 2019 Optoma projector looking good - and this is doubly true if you're projecting onto a wall rather than a projection screen.

Cube001

Dec 7, 2017
Is the burn in a real thing on OLED's? Seems strange that it would be, especially given that many programs throw their logos on the screen permanently.

I can tell you from first hand experience that it is pretty much a real thing. My previous OLED screen which was an LG E7 started showing clear burn ins 2 years in. One was in the middle which i'm still not sure what caused it. But at the bottom you can clearly tell that there is a burned in image of a video player seek bar, most probably from pausing Youtube or Netflix for too long too many times. I'm very careful with how I use the screen to avoid burn in but my SO isn't.

I'm a very picky person, especially when it gets to screens, I always have this fear when I get a new screen, laptop or any portable device that it contains dead pixels. So needless to say, as soon as I noticed the burn in (confirmed it's not image retention), I got it replaced with a CX, and I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm gonna be extra careful now, and hopefully this one will last me until microLED is mature enough to be somewhat affordable without those seams.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Calman AutoCal does just that; but you need a license to run the software on your computer ($145), and the hardware is delicate and expensive.
The least-expensive option for a suitable OEM meter is $250, while the measurement mics that come with your AVR probably cost a few dollars at most and the software is a part of the device.
So it's not really feasible to rent that out to someone.

It used to be that high-end graphic design monitors would have the ability to run self-calibration routines, and because they were able to profile a meter to that specific display rather than one which was tuned to work with anything, it would cost about $150.
This is the first example I found in a search:

nec-selfcal-cujkj.png

It looks like this particular monitor works with a retail eye-one meter rather than one tailored for the display though, which would be more expensive. Some displays would even have the option to use many different common meters rather than a specific one.
You have to wonder why none of the TV manufacturers have released a product like that yet, as I'm sure their SmartTV platforms could handle the processing required.

At the same time: higher-end displays are so well calibrated out of the box now that there's really very little need for it any more.
So long as you have the understanding required to select the right picture settings, you're 95% of the way there now.
Professional calibration is really only going to get you that extra 5% most of the time.
It's not like things used to be where TVs had no good white balance presets, or required the user to dial in a complex color-management system to achieve accurate color.

Note: this does not apply to projectors.
I would strongly recommend you get a pro to calibrate those, or learn to do it yourself.
I had to put in quite a bit of work to get my 2019 Optoma projector looking good - and this is doubly true if you're projecting onto a wall rather than a projection screen.
Thank you. It makes sense that adding a projector screen would add a variable the manufacturer can't possibly account for.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I can tell you from first hand experience that it is pretty much a real thing. My previous OLED screen which was an LG E7 started showing clear burn ins 2 years in. One was in the middle which i'm still not sure what caused it. But at the bottom you can clearly tell that there is a burned in image of a video player seek bar, most probably from pausing Youtube or Netflix for too long too many times. I'm very careful with how I use the screen to avoid burn in but my SO isn't.

I'm a very picky person, especially when it gets to screens, I always have this fear when I get a new screen, laptop or any portable device that it contains dead pixels. So needless to say, as soon as I noticed the burn in (confirmed it's not image retention), I got it replaced with a CX, and I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm gonna be extra careful now, and hopefully this one will last me until microLED is mature enough to be somewhat affordable without those seams.

Thanks. So even your CX might have the problem. I imagine most people just want to watch/play stuff without having to worry about burn in - that freaks me out! Do you have to limit gaming sessions and shit like that?

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I really would like to purchase an LG CX, but I am terrified of getting burn-in. Any thoughts?
By the way, I found an LG B9 locally from a store which is selling for €500 less. Is the CX is €1800. Is it worth going for the latter?

Thank you!

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I really would like to purchase an LG CX, but I am terrified of getting burn-in. Any thoughts?
By the way, I found an LG B9 locally from a store which is selling for €500 less. Is the CX is €1800. Is it worth going for the latter?

Thank you!

What size are you looking for? Because the 55'' CX can be had for €1330.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you!

I've had my C8 for 2 years, no burn in with mixed use (gaming, movies, tv, etc.)

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Framerate trumps resolution. 1440p120 blows 4k60 out of the water on these sets, imo. 4k doesn't mean much when you lose clarity when panning the camera in game. 30 fps is just a joke. I really try to stay over 70 at all times now.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. So even your CX might have the problem. I imagine most people just want to watch/play stuff without having to worry about burn in - that freaks me out! Do you have to limit gaming sessions and shit like that?

Newer models than their 7 series TV are less prone to burn-in just by themselves and also have more software features to prevent them. Their example of a burnt in video player bar would already be prevented by the screensaver that kicks in after a short time with no video playing and there is also pixel shift plus logo shift. The CX is much less likely to suffer from burn-in than the 7 series or older.

The screen also dims when gaming when you don't move for a few minutes btw.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I am picking up my 48" CX in a few hours and was wondering if anyone had any links or suggestions for settings so that I can make sure the TV is protected and running at the best it can without professional calibration?

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between freesync, gysync, VRR and ALLM

I got a LG CX over the weekend and apparently it can support all the above but I have nothing to test it on yet.

I plan to get a ps5 and (eventually) a 3080

I guess my ps4 pro doesn't support anything like that right? Don't have an Xbox and don't plan to get one.

will ps5 support these?

also to activate these is it automatic and the tv will switch to them if the option is enabled on the console or device?