• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So they let him go play with animals to save face. This makes 100x more sense now.
Sigh.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good thing I lost interest in most Ubisoft games this generation, makes it much easier to avoid buying their games going forward.

Haven't liked the new AC direction, Watch Dogs never interested me (I did get 1 + 2 for free, but never played them), none of the Tom Clancy games have interested me, etc.

Only games I've truly enjoyed from them this generation was Mario+Rabbids and Starlink.
BGE2 had the full support of Hascoet (the head creative guy who wanted every game to be an open-world icon hunt. And was also a predator).

And Ancel threw a fit because this "undermined his vision" of the game.

Now with both Hascoet and Ancel gone, and some of Ubi's latest open-world GAAS games flopping, what direction will they take BGE2 in now?
I'm guessing the game's new direction will be into a garbage can.

I just don't see them investing more years into this game that's a sequel to at best a cult classic, but that most people don't even remember these days.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Becoming clear that this culture must be rampant at Ubisoft. Shame to read someone I respected is an asshole. None of the problem people are being fired. They are all getting golden handshakes. I'm done with them until they get rid of the ceo.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I loved BG&E 1, and since that came out I've been through school, worked in the industry, and turned 30.

But I really just want the sequel to be cancelled. Games in "dev" this long with nothing to show are not worth the suffering, the wait, and the impossible expectations. A lot of really unhealthy behavior around the entire project (including the sneak peeks that cost a lot to make but amount to nothing.)

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BG&E is one of my favorite games of all time, and I was afraid Ancel was a part of the shit culture that's been exposed at Ubi. This is so disappointing to hear. Hopefully the BG&E2 team are working under much better conditions at this point, wherever they are.

Dec 20, 2017
Yeah I didn't want to say it in the original thread about Ancel leaving, but it seemed far too coincidental that he would just drop out of the company to play with animals precisely around the time Ubisoft was finally being scrutinized for it's abuses. Good riddance.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
What games has Ancel actually made?
Rayman Legends came out in what? 2013? And the original BG&E and King Kong roughly a decade earlier?
For someone with such a high reputation his output doesn't seem to be that large, unless I'm missing something.
Rayman, Rayman 2, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Rabbids Go Home, King Kong, Beyond Good & Evil, Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends. He also contributed to Rayman 3 (console version) and Tonic Trouble. He is amazingly talented, but he probably should not have had a three digits sized team. I will very much miss him, though, because him and Gregg Mayles are probably the two western developers I have the most respect for in terms of quality of output.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone else made the same conclusion, but I can't help tying this to his retirement.

The section about how he'll psychologically build you and up then tear you down sounds a lot like the strategies you'd haer from pick up artists and drill sergeants, so I'm also left wondering if he was trying to do the same thing that they were. They use that kind of psychological abuse to break people's confidence and rebuild them so that they're reliant on the approval of the other - the pick-up artist or their superior - in order to feel validated.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
What happened during the development of Rayman Legends?
The game was made as a Wii U exclusive and the team crunched to have it finished, only to then get told that they now have to port to PS360 with extra content and the Wii U version would be delayed by six months. I am farily certain that wasn't Ancel's decision though.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Yeah. That was pretty much a fully CG pre-rendered trailer and looks like nothing more than just a concept video. Looking back at it there was no way that was real in game anything. Was Ubi Saying this stuff was in engine?

guys like him should only be able to give creative insights but there needs to be a firewall between him and the rest of the teams. I cant even imagine the stuff he was asking people to do as managing everything. really sad all around.

Spot on.
Cory from GoW at least looks like a caretaker. A big "it seems" because I don' heard anything bad about him so far (hopefully he's cool, for his team, the Santa Monica studio, and the franchise).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt the same thing happen to Molyneux?
I don't remember hearing that, but I could easily be forgetting. What I remember of Molyneux is that he was generally known as a nice guy, but he wanted to impress people too hard, and that led him to make promises just to get a crowd reaction which means he'd cause scope creep at the drop of a hat. Bad project management in a very textbook sense.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
He had a pm that kept him in line if I'm not mistaken vs a full control situation.
What''s a PM?
The game was made as a Wii U exclusive and the team crunched to have it finished, only to then get told that they now have to port to PS360 with extra content and the Wii U version would be delayed by six months. I am farily certain that wasn't Ancel's decision though.
That sucks... Now Ancel is saying that most of the accusations toward him are false, and that he's going to sue people. Oh, well.... Poor Rayman...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What''s a PM?

That sucks... Now Ancel is saying that most of the accusations toward him are false, and that he's going to sue people. Oh, well.... Poor Rayman...
Sorry project manager. I can't recall her name at the moment but she def helped that project a lot of I remember correctly
This talks about it
www.polygon.com

What convinced God of War’s director to return to the series

God of War took five years to create, and its director took over a decade to return to the series. Here’s why.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think it was Ancel's call to delay the game but he certainly was privy to that info (because, again, he's a close friend to Guillemot and Hascoet and people who made that call) AND STILL continued to crunch the team until the very last day of the deadline.
Also the development of Rayman Legends was a shitshow and it's a miracle it even managed to get done.
Between that and ACIII you couldn't tell which was gonna be the biggest shitshow 6 months from the initial deadline.
And from what I've heard, the issues raised by Libération with his management style for BG&E2 is so far from being new he has that reputation.
May Eric Chahi be that now.
Hopefully Chahi is a cool guy who isn't into using dev bones to make his projects....
Rayman fans consistently have the worst time, it's rough
In a way it's kinda like being a Silent Hill fan, your best days are behind you and they both are horror stories for different reasons.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you! I'm not much into the process of games development.
Yeah a lot of underlying things It all still project management but then you have all these roles and it sounds like Ancel was playing a dual role and sounds like he had no check to him and it's easy to see how these things get bad on projects. Morale is a huge thing in project management and managing that it had a great impact on how well a project outcome is. That's why shit like crunch etc can also just destroy the team.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I was afraid Ancel was an abusive boss as well after everything else that has been revealed of Ubisoft recently, but kind of hoped the silence about his team/studio in particular (until now) and relatively small team sizes he had worked with meant that maybe he didn't have to be an asshole.

Oh well, shit sucks.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Yeah a lot of underlying things It all still project management but then you have all these roles and it sounds like Ancel was playing a dual role and sounds like he had no check to him and it's easy to see how these things get bad on projects. Morale is a huge thing in project management and managing that it had a great impact on how well a project outcome is. That's why shit like crunch etc can also just destroy the team.
I mean, he speaks like the employees should had spoke with him when things started to go south. But if you are a good boss (no matter the job), you see when people start to get anxious and depressed. I had 2 employers how were the worst, they always blamed me whenever things didn't work out, and every time I needed help with a certain aspect of a task, they said "I'm busy".

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just scrap the game and be done with it. It looks nothing like BG&E anyway.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, he speaks like the employees should had spoke with him when things started to go south. But if you are a good boss (no matter the job), you see when people start to get anxious and depressed. I had 2 employers how were the worst, they always blamed me whenever things didn't work out, and every time I needed help with a certain aspect of a task, they said "I'm busy".
Yup exactly. I think it sounds like he was more wrapped up in his "vision" and people saw how he was acting and never felt like they could tell him anything on top of others condoning the behavior. Just a snowball effect. Guys like him sometimes get huge heads because of what they made and have excessive hubris. It's sad. But I hope the people working in these projects are more relieved and can work in a better environment. It seems like he spent way more time with BGE2 than WiLD Which is probally why we don't hear much from the other side of things. And maybe sony pushed him out earlier

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yup exactly. I think it sounds like he was more wrapped up in his "vision" and people saw how he was acting and never felt like they could tell him anything on top of others condoning the behavior. Just a snowball effect. Guys like him sometimes get huge heads because of what they made and have excessive hubris. It's sad. But I hope the people working in these projects are more relieved and can work in a better environment. It seems like he spent way more time with BGE2 than WiLD Which is probally why we don't hear much from the other side of things. And maybe sony pushed him out earlier
From the latest Libération articles, we know that Ancel was the type of guy to badmouth you in meetings after telling you you were doing awesome.
You don't really go to someone who has this reputation for help about anything.

This most be a heaven for clickbaiters. Iam sure working on a big project is tough for all sides.
Michel is explaining himself here, sounds like the newspaper didn't even bother to reach out to him: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkrhX3KXu6/

The OP literally has a link to Libération's interview with Ancel.
WTF are you talking about.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
I really fear for the team well-being, and for the future of Rayman. It seems like the only light on the darkness that is Ubisoft is Davide Soliani.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
From the latest Libération articles, we know that Ancel was the type of guy to badmouth you in meetings after telling you you were doing awesome.
You don't really go to someone who has this reputation for help about anything.

The OP literally has a link to Libération's interview with Ancel.
WTF are you talking about.
Yep. Terrible management style. Can't trust him yeah no wonder it was so bad.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
This most be a heaven for clickbaiters. Iam sure working on a big project is tough for all sides.
Michel is explaining himself here, sounds like the newspaper didn't even bother to reach out to him: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkrhX3KXu6/

Read. OP.

Not even going by the fact that Libération is the outlet which brought to us most of Ubisoft's toxic management stories all Summer.

And Ancel's response fucking sucks.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
"I wasn't a horrible team manager, I just was a very incompetent one, please believe my ass that left the company only when I got winds of my fuckery being exposed"

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
This is disappointing.

Ultimately I see this as a failure of senior management. They ignored continual warnings of his bad management and created some kind of bizarre rube goldberg machine to keep him involved. Just astonishingly badly run.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yep. Terrible management style. Can't trust him yeah no wonder it was so bad.
It goes with what is said in Libération.
In cases like this, if you can't bypass this manager or box him out you work around him.
It's really an issue with anyone untouchable in a corp structure.
A manager who has an untouchable employee ends up giving that employee tasks that can fail or be in limbo.
If that untouchable is a higher up, that's where it gets fun and basically what we have here.
Kinda like Bioware, they had a disfunctional working structure but it worked so far so there was no need to change any of it until it broke down and consequences start being seen.
In the game industry, consequences are never about employees' health though and that's a goddamn shame.