Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this chart making the rounds on Twitter, mostly cause of where the red areas are situated.

View: https://twitter.com/nsjersey/status/1642165562464673794?t=QAtPxmBxnxsFvKs0Ch8qLA&s=19
Fsok3QdWYAIt4sS

Chart comes from Jeremy Ney, who did a TED talk about where you live in the country determines your quality of life.

View: https://youtu.be/fvf1FrsB4Rw

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How much of that blue in Florida is winter birds?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Saw someone mention that sone of the red areas in the MidWest correspond with reservations. Don't need to live in the South or a red state to live fast and die young although that certainly helps

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Live longer or own the libs? Hmmm......

As expected I'm on an island of blue in a sea of mostly red.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like Republicans just want you to die once you can no longer provide cheap labor for their corporate donors.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
It actually correlates mostly with poverty more than political affiliation. Hence the reservations.

The whole, "Haha, the Republicans are dying" breaks down if you look at the Plains or the rural Upper Midwest.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not all political.

Wayne County in Michigan which has Detroit is red here but it's very blue politically.

Macomb County is more conservative and is middle of road here.

This is more poverty than politics.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How much of that blue in Florida is winter birds?
Considering how dark blue Sumter County (The Vilages) is, it's probably skewed by all the old people that move here from up North and eventually die here.

A lot of those counties in dark blue along the Southwest coast are deep red counties.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
It's not really politically aligned much except for the south. Seems mostly to align with economic factors. Would love to a pointillism map like the one below which details votes cast:

www.wired.com

Is the US Leaning Red or Blue? It All Depends on Your Map

Self-proclaimed "cartonerd" Ken Field published a gallery of alternative election maps designed to reveal markedly different stories about the US.

Dasymetric-Dot-Density-w.jpg

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Conservatives would rather die that have free healthcare.

It also maps with Obamacare expansion too!

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Huh, I gotta admit I'm surprised Kings County, CA has a slightly higher life expectancy than Tulare County right next to it.

My understanding about this as the daughter of two nurses is that it's all about the access of hospitals, and in particular hospitals fit for dealing with issues like heart attacks, strokes, burns and all sorts of other specialty care stuff since a lot of hospitals only have limited (or no) ability to deal with a lot of that stuff.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
It also correlates heavily to college education, large urban environments with good hospitals, higher income and a bunch of other factors. There are also some urban areas like Detroit that are extremely blue but below where they should be. Same with CamdenNJ.

As much as I would love to partake in the LOLOLOLOL republicans die, there are a lot of reservations on here and it shows how bad income disparity is on quality of life in the united states and how access to services in rural america can be generally poor. Im also sure the opiod epidemic maps well to this.

So, yeah fuck those people for their politics but we should be doing better by those rural and poorer communities.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It also correlates heavily to college education, large urban environments with good hospitals, higher income and a bunch of other factors. There are also some urban areas like Detroit that are extremely blue but below where they should be. Same with CamdenNJ.

As much as I would love to partake in the LOLOLOLOL republicans die, there are a lot of reservations on here and it shows how bad income disparity is on quality of life in the united states and how access to services in rural america can be generally poor. Im also sure the opiod epidemic maps well to this.

So, yeah fuck those people for their politics but we should be doing better by those rural and poorer communities.

It's extremely difficult to help people who consistently vote against their own self interests and well being.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
It's extremely difficult to help people who consistently vote against their own self interests and well being.

Yes, but not everyone who lives in those areas agrees with them but are still suffering the consequences. Plus, reservations are extremely blue and have helped flip Arizona and New Mexico but are still suffering. Its not just the "bad ones" suffering from this.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Ya I'd be curious if someone were to overlay a voting map over this what would surprise us
Wisconsin and Minnesota highlight that it really isn't political, the rural red areas are much more long lived than most of the country:
702px-Minnesota_Presidential_Election_Results_2020.svg.png

630px-Wisconsin_Presidential_Election_Results_2020.svg.png

Or South Dakota:
700px-South_Dakota_Presidential_Election_Results_2020.svg.png

This is almost entirely a matter primarily of wealth and secondarily of race. White rich areas live a long time. Urban ones are Democratic, rural ones are Republican.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yes, but not everyone who lives in those areas agrees with them but are still suffering the consequences. Plus, reservations are extremely blue and have helped flip Arizona and New Mexico but are still suffering. Its not just the "bad ones" suffering from this.

I don't disagree. My point still stands. As long as Republicans are voted into power in majority at the state level, helping anyone, including the people who want help, is difficult, if not impossible.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, life expectancy is always pretty much tied 1:1 to poverty rates.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Republicans did it to themselves and anyone else who stands in their way down there. But overall, the US does not need to be this bad at all, it would be comical if it wasn't so sad.

Yeah, exactly this. I look at this map, and I see a political party that has spent generations making their constituency dumber, sicker and poorer. It's a tragedy how much they've undermined progress in this country.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Its a tragedy that most of this is due to infant mortality in red districts.
Yeah, it has to be this right? If you survive birth, you'll probably live just as long in a red state. But infant and maternal mortality are much higher in those states. Heck, the US in general is worse than most first world countries in this regard.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Yeah, exactly this. I look at this map, and I see a political party that has spent generations making their constituency dumber, sicker and poorer. It's a tragedy how much they've undermined progress in this country.

The US has been two countries masquerading as one since the beginning. One generally believes in democracy, freedom, education, and progress. The other is autocratic and seeks to subjugate people to enrich an entrenched aristocracy.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
But infant and maternal mortality are much higher in those states. Heck, the US in general is worse than most first world countries in this regard.
An article I read mentioned this in comparison to other economies of our wealth level, and also that actually the US has increased mortality for people in the 20-40 age range because a host of reasons like healthcare/nutritional value of food/traffic accidents.

The good news is that if you make it to like age 70 you're better than equivalent first world countries bc of the healthcare availabile to you. Just uh, good luck making it there