Dec 23, 2017
Interesting! I wonder if other platforms will be getting a demo too!

I remember this like it was yesterday. I played the original Japanese Ishin demo on PS4 when the games were not coming out here. It was so much fun so glad after 9 years we are getting it. Yakuzer fans have come a long way

Right?! I remember the days we were begging for Yakuza games to come to the west.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It is a select group of fans name for the series in the west. Just a nickname for Yakuza/Like A Dragon games lol.
giphy.gif

>:'c I hate it

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I have the game preordered, but I am so hungry to try it so I'll play this.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hope this comes to PC. Have a friend who wants to play this but the dragon engine games don't run very well on his PC, would love to see if this one fares any better since its on UE4

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
One of my most anticipated games of the year.

Any chance it will be surprise-added to GamePass at launch?

Ganepark32

Nov 21, 2021
A demo would be great. I've never played a Yakuza game but I really like the look of this one for the whole Feudal Japan aesthetic but as I've not played any of the games, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger so a demo would give me a chance to see if it's up my alley. It being a spin-off thats not really tied to the other games helps make this something I'd try as I wouldn't need to try play through the whole series and learn every character and such.

I know, I know, I should probably play the actual Yakuza series but I think there being so many games in the series and the games being long, it's a daunting prospect.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Usually Id be all over this. But I get the feeling by the time I downloaded this Id already be preloading the game for early digital deluxe release (on the 17th), so I doubt Id really have chance to play the demo. Not that Im really complaining, as Id much rather dive into the full game a day later.

It is a select group of fans name for the series in the west. Just a nickname for Yakuza/Like A Dragon games lol.

Is it? Ive literally never heard that name even once, and I tend to pay off hand attention to the series once and a while... suffice to say, its somehow worse than the "LaD" abbreviation. Impressive... I blame Reddit.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
Is it? Ive literally never heard that name even once, and I tend to pay off hand attention to the series once and a while... suffice to say, its somehow worse than the "LaD" abbreviation. Impressive... I blame Reddit.
I have seen it most in discord discussions of the game and the YakuzaGames reddit so not wrong lmfao. It is such a stupid silly nickname that I just like saying it when casually talking about it with fans.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Preorded deluxe yesterday when I found out it's early unlock, CAN"T WAIT

Will the OT be out for us early unlockers??

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen it most in discord discussions of the game and the YakuzaGames reddit so not wrong lmfao. It is such a stupid silly nickname that I just like saying it when casually talking about it with fans.

I knew it was something that subreddit probably coined... sounds like them. The discord channel Im on definitely doesnt use that though, they'd probably eviscerate anyone for using that term lol.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to pre-order the deluxe edition that comes out on 17th?

So I guess I'm gonna skip, but hopefully this won't come back to bite them in the ass. With Yakuza you usually need to put some time in to appreciate its combat, early on it always seems pretty shallow.

Lmao. I have a better idea, let's call it LIKE-UZA! 🤣

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Hope it comes to PC.
It actually is. Demo is actually coming out tomorrow, not today as first thought. Xbox/PS4/5/PC. RGGS just confirmed it on their stream.

Without making a new thread (me lazy), there's some other stuff I was told from someone who already finished the game/more stream info:

PS4 version has two modes. Quality and Performance. It ran bad initially but after being patched its much better.

All difficulties available from the get go (and yeah you can even do the good ol' method from Yakuza 6 where you play the game on one difficulty, then increase it to Legend just in time for the finale for the Legend diff trophy.

Some glitches with the game, but the patch ironed those out as well. I forget who and which thread I was discussing this in, but whoever said "feels like a situation where the game is just running in an Unreal 4 wrapper like GTA "Definitive" Collection" is the winner. Sounds just like that. Its faithful to the original, including combat feel (good) but that also seems to mean load times arent great (bad)

Gun spamming has been nerfed (bad, makes grinding for materials longer)

Money rewards are reduced, while crafting costs have increased (fucking moronic move because...)

Trophy list and completion list confirmation mentions that the grinds all return. Some (like interacting with pets) are reduced, and some (like modding all weapons) remain the same, only much worse now because costs....

There's a more in depth character customisation option than in previous games - tied with the DLC you can buy/get via preordering. You of course can change character coats (as shown) but also give them stuff like head gear, little scars, and even (not really a spoiler, but the reason this is going to make all the money)
A giant Chicken head/mask to wear, so you can live out your fantasies as Nugget the samurai

Music basically seems to be the same, that means the final boss music remains unchanged mercifully (praise be!), but rather... well its bloody obvious if you look at who they added to this specific version (I wanna hear the remix bad)

1 side story cut, 5 added.

Basically, it sounds fairly solid bar some monumentally stupid changes which will probably make the 100% somehow worse than the original version (a feat I assumed was impossible). Im excited to play it to see the differences.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Was interested in the demo, but realized digital deluxe gets early access starting tomorrow so I'm probably going to be playing already 😏

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Cool they released a combat demo. I imported and played through Ishin with a translation guide back on PS4. Excited for this but my biggest hang up was the combat card thing they added to the combat. Looks like a big UI mess and to me it seemed waay too silly and unnecessary. I was hoping that you can get by with turning it off or not using it at all.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Then don't venture into the subreddit lest you find out about John Yakuza and the other way worse memes 🤭
r/yakuza is one of the most insufferable examples of a gaming subreddit - just people posting recycled memes for upvotes and no genuine discussion.

semi-related, but r/mahjong is in contrast one of the most helpful game subreddits I've encountered.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
r/yakuza is one of the most insufferable examples of a gaming subreddit - just people posting recycled memes for upvotes and no genuine discussion.

semi-related, but r/mahjong is in contrast one of the most helpful game subreddits I've encountered.

the memes arguably largely contributed to the series picking up in the west, so... its a neccessery evil.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Some glitches with the game, but the patch ironed those out as well. I forget who and which thread I was discussing this in, but whoever said "feels like a situation where the game is just running in an Unreal 4 wrapper like GTA "Definitive" Collection" is the winner. Sounds just like that. Its faithful to the original, including combat feel (good) but that also seems to mean load times arent great (bad)

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Thanks for the summary, glad to see a PC demo coming too. I guess that will answer our last question too, wether the game suffers from UE4 shader stutters or not. Fingers crossed!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Cool they released a combat demo. I imported and played through Ishin with a translation guide back on PS4. Excited for this but my biggest hang up was the combat card thing they added to the combat. Looks like a big UI mess and to me it seemed waay too silly and unnecessary. I was hoping that you can get by with turning it off or not using it at all.
You can get by without using them at least. But you cant disable them out right. You can not equip them (which I guess gets rid of the UI nightmare.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Thanks for the summary, glad to see a PC demo coming too. I guess that will answer our last question too, wether the game suffers from UE4 shader stutters or not. Fingers crossed!
Should also give some insight as to Steam Deck support. Fingers crossed it all runs well!

Unfortunately what little genuine discussion does crop up isnt exactly good either. There was one particularly hilarious blow up around 7's release, but I dont hang around there anymore, it really is just memes for like 99% of the posts. And while Im definitely not a fan, RGGS has noticed certain fan memes/interests which is why they tend to lean into them sometimes (cant say I agree with that choice but whatever) - its why Baka Mitai is now in Ishin, same reason that certain other things are included in the game... I mean, original Ishin was like a love letter to the series, and now they dialed that up as well to really get that newer crowd interested with some of the character changes...

As another poster said. Its a necessary evil... this shit helped get peoples attention on the series, so while I dont care for it, I dont hate it either... arguably the series would have suffered real hard times if 0 didnt blow up overseas when it did.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, demo is out now, seems the stream was wrong (or time zones made a fool of me again). Checked on Playstation, but should be there for PC etc. as well

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Steam Deck test: Set to medium, FSR2.1 enabled, mainly 60FPS in the fights. Some slight drops. I reckon with some extra tweaking I could hit a more locked 60FPS, or I could focus on 40FPS instead. Either way, promising but the city areas will be a better test.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Jumped straight into Legend mode and this game isn't fucking about. The combat is quite stiff and deliberate, and even your more mobile styles (dancer) don't have the mobility of 0's boxer or Judgment's crane.

Sword style is interesting as it's built around charge attacks, but enemies can and will interrupt you if your positioning is off.

Hand to hand just feels like a slower version of the standard Yakuza combat at this stage. You have the option of pulling out a staff which is fun.

Gun style is basically what it sounds like. Kinda easy to cheese with and a bit boring, but also has some of the most fun heat moves where you get all Dirty Harry execution style.

Dancer is the most immediately satisfying combat but also has a lot of weaknesses. Crowd control is its strength but the crowd control moves are generally quite deep in the combo chains so you're vulnerable if surrounded… yet being surrounded is also how you'll get the most utility out of the moveset if you can pull it off.

The "summon a vtuber" card abilities or whatever seem super immersion breaking though I have to say. One of them is a straight up kamehameha move, another has you dancing which in turn makes all the enemies dance and you steal their health. It'd fit in naturally in an Ichiban game, but feels out of place in a Kiryu game. Unfortunately, the Legend difficulty seems to be balanced around you using these abilities.

Reckon there's quite a bit of depth here though, all told. Gonna keep playing.

Jun 25, 2022
It actually is. Demo is actually coming out tomorrow, not today as first thought. Xbox/PS4/5/PC. RGGS just confirmed it on their stream.

Without making a new thread (me lazy), there's some other stuff I was told from someone who already finished the game/more stream info:

PS4 version has two modes. Quality and Performance. It ran bad initially but after being patched its much better.

All difficulties available from the get go (and yeah you can even do the good ol' method from Yakuza 6 where you play the game on one difficulty, then increase it to Legend just in time for the finale for the Legend diff trophy.

Gun spamming has been nerfed (bad, makes grinding for materials longer)

Money rewards are reduced, while crafting costs have increased (fucking moronic move because...)

Trophy list and completion list confirmation mentions that the grinds all return. Some (like interacting with pets) are reduced, and some (like modding all weapons) remain the same, only much worse now because costs....

There's a more in depth character customisation option than in previous games - tied with the DLC you can buy/get via preordering. You of course can change character coats (as shown) but also give them stuff like head gear, little scars, and even (not really a spoiler, but the reason this is going to make all the money)
A giant Chicken head/mask to wear, so you can live out your fantasies as Nugget the samurai

Music basically seems to be the same, that means the final boss music remains unchanged mercifully (praise be!), but rather... well its bloody obvious if you look at who they added to this specific version (I wanna hear the remix bad)

1 side story cut, 5 added.

Basically, it sounds fairly solid bar some monumentally stupid changes which will probably make the 100% somehow worse than the original version (a feat I assumed was impossible). Im excited to play it to see the differences.
Ah, thanks for letting me know. Can't wait to try it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped straight into Legend mode and this game isn't fucking about. The combat is quite stiff and deliberate, and even your more mobile styles (dancer) don't have the mobility of 0's boxer or Judgment's crane.

Sword style is interesting as it's built around charge attacks, but enemies can and will interrupt you if your positioning is off.

Hand to hand just feels like a slower version of the standard Yakuza combat at this stage. You have the option of pulling out a staff which is fun.

Gun style is basically what it sounds like. Kinda easy to cheese with and a bit boring, but also has some of the most fun heat moves where you get all Dirty Harry execution style.

Dancer is the most immediately satisfying combat but also has a lot of weaknesses. Crowd control is its strength but the crowd control moves are generally quite deep in the combo chains so you're vulnerable if surrounded… yet being surrounded is also how you'll get the most utility out of the moveset if you can pull it off.

The "summon a vtuber" card abilities or whatever seem super immersion breaking though I have to say. One of them is a straight up kamehameha move, another has you dancing which in turn makes all the enemies dance and you steal their health. It'd fit in naturally in an Ichiban game, but feels out of place in a Kiryu game. Unfortunately, the Legend difficulty seems to be balanced around you using these abilities.

Reckon there's quite a bit of depth here though, all told. Gonna keep playing.
Few things to note:
The cards (not vtuber stuff, there's one DLC vtuber lol) were mainly designed for the battle dungeon (check out the second fight in the demo). Though I honestly forget which moves are new and which are old.
But in normal fights, definitely immersion breaking. But you can mod weapons to power up, so dont worry, you shouldnt need to use them too much once you start leveling up.
The buffs though... very useful - faster dodging, strength up for certain attacks, defense up etc. very useful. I could see me probably rocking mainly status/buff cards instead of OP moves for most of the game, since there's really no need for them in most fights.

Gun is actually nerfed believe it or not! But the different ammo + triangle finisher moves are amazing for groups + heat gain.

Dancer, use the circle/b string. It basically has you spin around right out the gate, groups get fucked with it unless they have armor.

Sword is deifnitely slow. Honestly I dont remember it being this slow but everything else is as I remember it (or better than I remember) so I assume its just a matter of leveling up more.

Hand to hand has an amazing guard move that's wonderfully abuseable for most attacks. Remember Tanimura in Yakuza 4? Kiryu has that now. Its amazing in a fight.

Oh, and Id forgotten how tough/annoying the battle dungeon bosses are - that's the second fight in the demo - battle dungeon always used cards, so trust me the game expects you to use cards in these fights, else your stuck (bright side is damage taken seems reduced, they could chew through you in a couple of hits originally)

Kiryu definitely feels early level in the game though. Didnt check in the status what level Kiryu actually is, but I do remember (well, I think) late game combat and you have way more moves (I miss all my counters...)
But yeah, its gonna take a while to get used to it again...

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Tried it on PC. Love the fact there's a toggle to widen the FOV, cranked that all the way up. Honestly, the stutters weren't too bad on my end. Usually when I was about to do a triggered combo it would freeze up for a second. Getting 120fps max settings with FSR off. FSR made it fuzzy.