andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
Was thinking I'd dig my C64 out of the basement, but I don't have a 1541. Is there a cassette image or is it just disk based.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Dammit, yet again I'm salty at my dad for selling our C64 back in the days. Though to be fair, I would have probably neglected it and it would be broken now like most of my old consoles are.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Was my first gaming PC too. Dad loved electronics, so I was raised on C64, Intellivision, and Atari early on.

It was a wonderfully diverse machine. The european gaming scene in particular was so odd in many ways, very much unlike the american and japanese schools of design. Not better necessarily, but off kilter in all the right ways. Quite a fun platform for becoming aquainted with the medium.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Pretty awesome! The C64 demoscene always produces fascinating stuff. What really blows my mind these days is the lengths some people have gone to push the SID.

In general there's a lot of great music still being made for the C64. Even SID legend Jeroen Tel is still hard at work on it.

Jeroen Tel & LMan - "Skypeople"

Jeroen Tel & LMan - "$11 Heaven"

But my recent favorite discovery is Chordian by JCH

SID is legendary and it has been hugely influential in electronic and popular music, despite it only ever being limited to Commodore computers and never being in any actual synthesizer.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
SID is legendary and it has been hugely influential in electronic and popular music, despite it only ever being limited to Commodore computers and never being in any actual synthesizer.

Not entirely true, though the synthesizer would never have existed if it wasn't for the C64.
img_8143fxfg5.jpg

https://www.elektron.se/legacy-products/

SaltySakura

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with the C64 as my first gaming computer. Around the early 2000s a friend showed me what people in the demo scene were doing to push its limits. My mind was blown by the graphic effects and music quality. I would love to play the finished version of Limbo someday. Awesome work!

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I've never owned a C64 but a friend has one and my abiding memory is that of very muddy colors. What was up with that? The sounds it produced were amazing for the time, but the colors? Well, not really.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've never owned a C64 but a friend has one and my abiding memory is that of very muddy colors. What was up with that? The sounds it produced were amazing for the time, but the colors? Well, not really.

You need to remember this is a microcomputer from 1982. I'm not well versed in the computers technical limitations, but it certainly could be colourful when in the right hands.
img_8144noea0.gif

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
You need to remember this is a microcomputer from 1982. I'm not well versed in the computers technical limitations, but it certainly could be colourful when in the right hands.
img_8144noea0.gif

That looks good, but from a quick scan there were other computers around that time with brighter color palettes.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
That looks good, but from a quick scan there were other computers around that time with brighter color palettes.

IMO they also tended to look rather garish in comparison. The C64 palette was quite easy on the eyes.

Lack of bright colours was probably a weakness of the palette, but what we got blended well, and there would always have to be a trade off with only 16 colours available. IMO the colour choice paid dividends in reproducing more realistic images, and there was always the colour saturation control if you wanted a brighter image. I would have liked a more vivid red as an option, but you can't have everything.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
If this had been a C64 title way back when, heads would have exploded. Amazing what they are pulling out of this device.