• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

She claims near the beginning that she's neither going the right-wing emboldened by canceling route, nor the crying apology video route. The video is an hour and forty minutes long, so I don't have much more info for you now.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
I'm really really really not a fan of YouTubers making a long ego-stroking "guess I'm cancelled!!!!" video instead of just taking an L.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
An hour and forty minutes...

How hard it is to say "Sorry, I messed up, it's on me I'll do better,won't happen again"

Guess I'll find out

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Yeah, watching it now. It seems to actually be a video essay about canceling more than a specific response, which is actually interesting to me.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the part where she's talking about going to bed with a few valid criticisms and waking up with tweets about how she's contributing to asian hate and violence.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Here is some context
www.hitc.com

Lindsay Ellis' Roya tweet explored: Star responds to being 'cancelled'

Here's a look at Lindsay Ellis' Roya tweet which led her to be 'cancelled' on Twitter. On December 28, Lindsay confirmed she would be leaving YouTube.

On March 26, Lindsay became the center of attention after she tweeted her thoughts on 'Raya' and 'Avatar: The Last Airbender.' In a now-deleted tweet, she wrote: "Also watched Raya and the Last Dragon and I think we need to come up with a name for this genre that is basically Avatar: the Last Airbender reduxes. It's like half of all YA fantasy published in the last few years anyway."

Her tweet received backlash and in a bid to justify her statement, Lindsay made another tweet. She wrote: "I can see where if you squint I was implying all Asian-inspired properties are the same, especially if you were already privy to those conversations where I had not seen them. But the basic framework of TLA is becoming popular in fantasy fiction outside of Asian inspired stuff."

Unfortunately, people were not pleased with her statement, and the backlash continued. Several Twitter users jumped on the bandwagon of cancel culture and called Lindsay out for her words.

Oct 25, 2017
So far, the assessment of toxic Twitter culture seems absolutely spot on, and her recount of past controversies and apology for them seems pretty honest.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
She seems to cover the actual scandal as it relates to her at 13:40

But in general it's a piece about how Twitter (and most modern social media sites) thrive on blowing things up, with everyone being encouraged to get a voice in even if the person affected cannot reasonably read it all, literally cannot read it (she wasn't reading Resetera, for example), or got the point hours ago.

She probably shoulda started with an actual apology as I can see this structure making her seem more flippant about it, digging the hole even deeper, but yeah.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
An hour and forty minutes...

How hard it is to say "Sorry, I messed up, it's on me I'll do better,won't happen again"

Guess I'll find out
i have no dog in the fight and barely know what she is "cancelled for" but just wanted to say if she went that route people here and elsewhere would be roasting her anyway saying they don't believe her.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
An hour and forty minutes for this? lol I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'm not sure if I'm gonna watch the whole thing, it's not a topic I have much interest in, even less about her own twitter-bubble drama to be honest.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
About 36 minutes in, having not been too invested in Twitter stuff it's interesting to watch.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Here is some context
www.hitc.com

Here's a look at Lindsay Ellis' Roya tweet which led her to be 'cancelled' on Twitter. On December 28, Lindsay confirmed she would be leaving YouTube.

On March 26, Lindsay became the center of attention after she tweeted her thoughts on 'Raya' and 'Avatar: The Last Airbender.' In a now-deleted tweet, she wrote: "Also watched Raya and the Last Dragon and I think we need to come up with a name for this genre that is basically Avatar: the Last Airbender reduxes. It's like half of all YA fantasy published in the last few years anyway."

Her tweet received backlash and in a bid to justify her statement, Lindsay made another tweet. She wrote: "I can see where if you squint I was implying all Asian-inspired properties are the same, especially if you were already privy to those conversations where I had not seen them. But the basic framework of TLA is becoming popular in fantasy fiction outside of Asian inspired stuff."

Unfortunately, people were not pleased with her statement, and the backlash continued. Several Twitter users jumped on the bandwagon of cancel culture and called Lindsay out for her words.

Hum can someone explain what the issue here is? I'm not really familiar with the movie or the Avatar show other than seeing some scenes on youtube.

Lmao that duplicate thread even had the exact same title

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Being a visible Youtuber sounds exhausting. Also, I'm afraid she's going to get alcohol poisoning.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Why not a separate two minute video with an apology? Why do these people tie their apologies to hour long videos about cancel culture?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
i have no dog in the fight and barely know what she is "cancelled for" but just wanted to say if she went that route people here and elsewhere would be roasting her anyway saying they don't believe her.
Yeah, YouTube apology videos are a bit of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation. Either you get right to the point, keep it brief, and people accuse you of glossing over the controversy - or you go in depth and people accuse you of milking the moment for content.

Frankly, the pile-on felt gross from the beginning to me - and it seems like she has a pretty reasonable take on the whole situation. There is no room online for nuanced criticism - you're always perceived as either a stan or a troll.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna watch, lets see if she actually apologizes and promises to do better or not
I wonder how many white people are going to go into this thread with the exact same meaningless "do better" tripe that the Twitter dogpile consisted of.

"Listen to POC" Which ones? The ones who are loud and angry and agree with you? Or the ones who don't?
She doubled down and made another tweet basically (paraphrasing) saying You'd have to "squint" very hard to see anything nefarious. That's such a racist remark.
No, it's not, what the fuck.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
"Twitter is designed to encourage this behavior."

Honestly, she could've used "social media" instead of naming Twitter specifically because they all thrive on a rage.

So far (first 10 minutes), it's a solid run down on Twitter being easily made a shit platform, but also how capitalism and the demand for perpetual growth is particularly poisonous to a "free social media platform".

But man I hope she at least apologizes for using "squint". That was just such a bad choice of word but I refuse to believe she did that intentionally to poke/prod asian readers. It's still a very solid fuck up.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
It's an important video - it specifically address a lot of stuff in that Twitter thread people were passing around

Also, it gets really heavy at one or two points - discussion of SA and people on Twitter accusing her of apologia

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Here is some context
www.hitc.com

I really don't know anything about this person. I'm...having trouble seeing what was so wildly inappropriate about what was said, though.

Oct 26, 2017
The parts describing her suicide attempt and her rape and her committing assault seem way too raw even with the censoring she did in post. This is incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
But man I hope she at least apologizes for using "squint". That was just such a bad choice of word but I refuse to believe she did that intentionally to poke/prod asian readers. It's still a very solid fuck up.

She does, she basically says she tweeted it in the morning so didn't think through the implications.

Considering a lot of folks use the phrase "if you squint" in their common vernacular it's not exactly shocking it could slip through, especially when you've woken up to thousands of comments and are flustered to the point of not thinking straight. She definitely should have said something about it in that twitter thread before wiping the slate, though.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I just finished watching this. She never apologizes if you're looking for that. If you're looking specifically for comments on the Raya situation it boils down to: "Honest Trailers didnt have to apologize for making the same comparison so why should I". She specifically mentions the people saying things like "I think she's a good person but she should at least apologize for <THIS ONE THING>" and says that type of logic contributes to harassment and empowers bad-faith people etc.

It's funny because a discussiong thread about this 'response video' is antithetical to her final point of the video that she's not going to care about "threat modeling" or how people can miscontrue what she means anymore. Not necessarily not caring about criticism in general but that aspect of criticism.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Bad faith readings of what people say are crazy on social media. Everyone is searching for the next person to judge and dunk on. I would not even acknowledge it nor apologize.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
She doubled down and made another tweet basically (paraphrasing) saying You'd have to "squint" very hard to see anything nefarious. That's such a racist remark.
Not disagreeing that it probably should've been thought out a little better, but isn't it just a reference to the tendency of people to squint their eyes when they're looking at something carefully or to try to see something in a new way? Like, that's pretty commonly referenced, I thought. like in this clip:

It wouldn't have occurred to me to think of that phrasing any other way because I've so often heard this.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But in general it's a piece about how Twitter (and most modern social media sites) thrive on blowing things up, with everyone being encouraged to get a voice in even if the person affected cannot reasonably read it all, literally cannot read it (she wasn't reading Resetera, for example), or got the point hours ago.

There is some kind of irony in this point and the fact that people are calling the video to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.