• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Last month a report dropped from the guys at The GWW that stated the new Batman game would be a reboot, abandoning the Arkham storyline in favor of a new, fresh take, but still possess the same gameplay mechanics for those familiar with the games.

thegww.com

EXCLUSIVE: New Batman Game A REBOOT; Coming Fall 2020 | TheGWW.com

WB Montreal's Batman game will reboot the Arkhamverse, spawning a new DC Video Game Universe including Rocksteady's next title.
Sources close to GWW have confirmed that WB Montreal's new Batman game is a "soft reboot" of the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham franchise.​

This will come as a shock to some who were hoping to see a continuation of the popular franchise. A sequel to Arkham Knight was considered early on, with Bruce Wayne's son, Damian, taking over the cape and cowl. This was was cancelled before WB Montreal got a chance to announce it at The Game Awards in 2016. What followed was a string of different ideas and management shifts before the studio decided to settle on a fresh start, away from the Arkhamverse.​

The new Batman game will kick off a new, somewhat cohesive DC Game Universe. Shortly after it's release this Fall, it will be followed up by a next-gen DC game from the creators of the Batman: Arkham franchise, Rocksteady Studios. The roadmap from there is foggy; sources have said that a next-gen Superman game (NOT ROCKSTEADY) is also in the works at WB, but nothing confirmed yet.​

Details on the story, plot, and gameplay are being kept tightly under wraps. We know that it will feature a playable Batfamily, the infamous Court of Owls, and have the introduction of co-op into the franchise.​
Now, a leak from LinkedIn seems to confirm that WB Montreal's new game is indeed a reboot, or as they post a "new IP".

A Senior Producer working for WB Montreal has this posted to his LI page:
L2rTWCh.jpg

As you can see, based on the timeline, it was right around when the Damian game was rebooted into this new Batman game, and based on the title, it is in fact a new IP.

Bye Arkham.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess it's to be expected with all the rumors, but I'm curious to see what they do with this reboot.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Imagine they wanted to reboot it because they couldn't think of a excuse for the Joker to be back AGAIN.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when WB Montreal teased new game 5 months ago then went silent for like 4 months and then released new logo teaser then went silent again. Good times...

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine they wanted to reboot it because they couldn't think of a excuse for the Joker to be back AGAIN.
Based on the article, it seems like it's more so because they want to have all the upcoming games tie into each other.

But I wouldn't doubt what you said either lol

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
This is like a masterclass in how you ruin hype for one of the most iconic and best selling franchises in history. At this point I barely care.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Even with Arkham Origins it was clear WB Montreal had a different interpretation of Batman. It's a much more 'cinematic adaptation' take. Given that they're probably going to be making Batman games for the next decade they might as well make it their Batman story with their arc and conclusion.

Hopefully they find an interesting angle. Rocksteady did comic book faithfulness well, and a we'll have trailers for a new grounded take before this game releases, so hopefully it's worth abandoning the Arkham continuity.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this confirms a reboot, even though it'll likely be a reboot.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham City and Knight spoilers:

Just couldn't find a way forward without Joker, huh?
Its one of my least favourite parts about the Arkham games (the over-reliance of that character).

It's like BBC Sherlock and Moriarty in a way. They made a great villain but could never leave him behind.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Could literally be a new IP, it doesn't "confirm" a Batman reboot.
They only make DC games. It's in their company motto.

Also, based on job postings from the past we know that it is a third person, open world unreal engine 4 AAA action game. Also, from trusted insiders they've said it is indeed a Batman game. jschreier said so himself. He's also the one who said the Damian game was rebooted, right around the timeline that this new IP started.

A reboot of the Batman games, dropping the Arkham tagline and establishing a new continuity, is a "new IP".

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Gah, stop reminding me that this game (hypothetically) exists.

It's bad enough when WB Montreal marketing awakens from their hibernation to drop whatever their logo guy had sitting on their hard drive on us like it's a big deal.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
Of course, just like movies, now games are getting milked to death. I mean, it's not like WB could just expand upon the Batman games already out. No, they need to sell us "new" Batman games. How about they build a universe around the Arkham games instead of trying to suck more $$$ out of us. Who do these clowns think they're fooling? They should have made a new Superman game, and a new Aquaman game over the last couple years. This would have also sold well because of the Aquaman movie. But no, now they need to drag things out for at least one more console generation. I also can't wait to buy the PS5 remaster of Arkham Night for $60. This, along with the disastrous Avengers game show us how these companies are lacking any soul. I wonder if there's gonna be a Kingdom Hearts style collection for Batman on PS5 to get us "excited" for this reboot. Buy the same old games "remastered" for just $100. Or maybe release a "remake" of Superman 64 as a teaser for a new Superman game, for another $60. Reboots are nothing but a cash grab. Give me actual new games.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Of course, just like movies, now games are getting milked to death. I mean, it's not like WB could just expand upon the Batman games already out. No, they need to sell us "new" Batman games. How about they build a universe around the Arkham games instead of trying to suck more $$$ out of us. Who do these clowns think they're fooling? They should have made a new Superman game, and a new Aquaman game over the last couple years. This would have also sold well because of the Aquaman movie. But no, now they need to drag things out for at least one more console generation. I also can't wait to buy the PS5 remaster of Arkham Night for $60. This, along with the disastrous Avengers game show us how these companies are lacking any soul. I wonder if there's gonna be a Kingdom Hearts style collection for Batman on PS5 to get us "excited" for this reboot. Buy the same old games "remastered" for just $100. Or maybe release a "remake" of Superman 64 as a teaser for a new Superman game, for another $60. Reboots are nothing but a cash grab. Give me actual new games.

Is this a joke? The Arkham story ended. They are literally forced to make a reboot.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's not a reboot of Arkham. It's a new universe.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think this is a good thing, but I honestly would've preferred a continuation with Dick Grayson taking on the mantle of Batman.

If they're just rebooting it with Bruce again, that's totally fine but also seems like a lack of potential to have other characters step in the role like the comics do on occasion. I'd be extremely thankful if they dropped their burden of the whole Arkham name though, it would've been absurd just to see how far they could try to stretch it to fit the new plot somehow. The whole Arkham Knight bit was already a reach.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly, I'd love not to hear shit from this game until it is properly revealed. All these supposed leaks are so annoying.
Though I would certainly be interested in a report telling us why they're taking so long to reveal it.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Details on the story, plot, and gameplay are being kept tightly under wraps. We know that it will feature a playable Batfamily, the infamous Court of Owls, and have the introduction of co-op into the franchise.

Give me Cassandra Cain and Kate Kane, you cowards!

(I'd at least take Babs, who will probably be involved)

Curious to see if/how they modify the court of owls scenario, though...without spoiling anything, it's pretty directly tied to Bruce directly, rather than the batfamily on the whole.

Not sure how I feel about co-op either, to be honest....especially if they keep freeflow combat - how do you design two players 'flowing' around towards the same target? Do they both automatically hit in a one-two scenario?

Makes sense for Rocksteady's game to be a 'sequel' if their plan is restart the batman game-universe, in any case.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I honestly think this is a good thing, but I honestly would've preferred a continuation with Dick Grayson taking on the mantle of Batman.

If they're just rebooting it with Bruce again, that's totally fine but also seems like a lack of potential to have other characters step in the role like the comics do on occasion. I'd be extremely thankful if they dropped their burden of the whole Arkham name though, it would've been absurd just to see how far they could try to stretch it to fit the new plot somehow. The whole Arkham Knight bit was already a reach.
If they aren't gonna go to Terry McGinnis, I'd be down for Dick taking the cowl with Damian being Dick's Robin.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they give us a huge open world Gotham city like something in GTA, and a Batwing jet to fly around in.

Why, though? The city is already too big in Arkham Knight and one of the problems with the Arkham series has always been that the city feels completely dead outside of giving Batman people to punch. Making it even bigger and more sprawling won't help with that at all.