• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Worth noting it is $500M in its first year for GOW (and as of March 2019, it was estimated at 10.9M units)

And $400M for Horizon, in its first 18 months or so

Last edited:

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised Killzone 3 exceeded their expectations, though I may be thinking of Resistance 3.

Oct 27, 2017
How about a Killzone 4 or Mercenary 2? I need a new SP FPS Sony.

A Resistance 4 would be awesome too. Or remasters of the R3 and K2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
am i the only one who finds stalking individual developers' and dev employees' linkedin profiles for hot scoops really kind of weird and uncomfortable

Oct 27, 2017
They asked me how much money TLoU made, and I told them

giphy.gif

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
It's all public information that they're using to promote themselves. They want it out there. I don't find it weird at all.

It's not like it's a family vacation picture on their personal Facebook profile that a family friend shared and then gamers shared.

Oct 31, 2017
TLOU 1 netting a billion is nuts.

Not that nuts when you think about it. The game sold what? 20MM copies? Let's say half of those at full price, 1/8 at $40, 1/8 at $30 and 1/8 at $20 and 1/8 at $10. That's 600MM + 100MM + 75MM + 50MM + 25MM in revenue for a total of 850MM in revenue. Adjust those numbers a bit, some licensing deals (i.e. comics from Dark Horse, merch, TV show from HBO and voila 1B+).

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Wonder what Druckmann's salary is, just casually directing 1B games one after another lol.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
am i the only one who finds stalking individual developers' and dev employees' linkedin profiles for hot scoops really kind of weird and uncomfortable

How is it any different than following someone on Twitter or Facebook? LinkedIn is a social network for working professionals so I think it's fine to follow people for industry insights.

Oct 30, 2017
LinkedIn is definitely about marketing yourself and your achievements, though.
But it's a bit weird, yeah.

But people also exaggerate and misrepresent statistics all the time in resumes.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
Just imagine how much animal crossing made this year and development costs would be a lot less than these games

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The implication from this data is that they gain $50 in revenue from FP game sales in the first year or so. Will probably be closer to $60 next gen with the increasing price point.

Should be noted that a few of these are quite old, GoW numbers are from when it crossed 10m (sometime before may 2019) and Horizon numbers are from around mid 2018 likely.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
How about a Killzone 4 or Mercenary 2? I need a new SP FPS Sony.

A Resistance 4 would be awesome too. Or remasters of the R3 and K2.
Feels like Guerrilla's second team is likely on an FPS. If so, I'm curious if it'll be an existing IP or a new one.

Yeah I could see Insomniac eventually remastering the Resistance games, in between their other projects, now that all of their time can be dedicated to working on just PS games. Plus they don't have too many first party ones so it'll still stick out. I'm hoping for some new IP for VR too from them in time for PSVR2, since their PC VR stuff was quite well received and we never got those for obvious reasons.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
But LinkedIn is kind of there for that as it's to promote yourself and unlike Facebook you can see who's been looking at your profile ( limited to a few users a week unless you're on the paid version, sure) so I don't personally see anything wrong with that

Feb 15, 2019
It's still kinda surreal to me that these really popular, pretty much mainstream at this point games are like 500m - 1b and Sony music's Aniplex is just casually making 1b a year from FGO.

I get different genres and entirely different markets and all that. But still.

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Guerrilla's second team is likely on an FPS. If so, I'm curious if it'll be an existing IP or a new one.

Yeah I could see Insomniac eventually remastering the Resistance games, in between their other projects, now that all of their time can be dedicated to working on just PS games. Plus they don't have too many first party ones so it'll still stick out. I'm hoping for some new IP for VR too from them in time for PSVR2, since their PC VR stuff was quite well received and we never got those for obvious reasons.
I really hope so.

I hope they do both VR and traditional FPS games. Resistance in VR could be really cool as the guns in the series could be awesome with the dual sense (assuming PSVR controller takes the technology of the DS).

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Nope, this is pretty uncomfortable for me also. I work in a different industry, but it makes me think more about what I have on my profile if people go digging like this.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
How much did games like Horizon and GOW cost??

1 Billion for LoU is fucking insane, but then I remember UC4/LOU had a multiplayer with micro transactions.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so.

I hope they do both VR and traditional FPS games. Resistance in VR could be really cool as the guns in the series could be awesome with the dual sense (assuming PSVR controller takes the technology of the DS).
Yeah, admittedly I much prefer third-person but it's true that they could definitely use a few new big exclusive FPS games (probably why they were smartly targeting some stuff like Deathloop) and I think that remasters of the Resistance games make a ton of sense. Plus since they haven't been playable since PS3 they'd be pretty new to a lot of people if they can boost the visuals enough to entice people to check them out.

Oh yeah, hadn't thought about that, that would be really neat. Resistance remasters including VR too.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, admittedly I much prefer third-person (so I wouldn't really want one of their top third-person studios taken off one of those to make a first-person game) but it's true that they could use some new big FPS games and I think that remasters of the cool Resistance games make a ton of sense as well. Plus since they haven't been playable since PS3 they'd be pretty new to a lot of people if they can boost the visuals enough to entice people to check them out.

Oh yeah, hadn't thought about that, that would be really neat. Resistance remasters including VR too.
Resistance 3 in particular would be great as a remaster. The game's art direction is awesome looking. It was already good looking on PS3 so Imagine it in 4k with some retouching here and there.

Speaking of third person, Resistance Retribution re release would also be great. It was awesome on the PSP and it would be great to revisit it.