• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 25, 2020
lUzdhDL.gif

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

IT'S THE ACTUAL CHESTER BENNINGTON. Diamond selling masterpiece of rock 'n roll !!!!!!

www.reddit.com

r/Music - Comment by u/BarveyDanger on ”Lost - Linkin Park [Alternative Rock]”

2,990 votes and 257 comments so far on Reddit

Dam straight.

If they released this in 2017, not only would it have been a monster hit, it would've probably won the Grammy.

xkK8JO1.gif

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
That hit me really really hard. Not an emotional guy normally but got tears listening to that one.

What a gift.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Mike heavily implies that while for this release they're largely releasing the tracks as they were then, in the future they may revisit tracks/vocal performances and craft them into full new songs

Give me hope to hear new Chester driven songs, sounds like there is a ton of material there

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
It was nice to hear Chester again.
But my cynical brain wish this is all real.
I swear if this ends up the voice having some kind of AI...
Already the video... eh maybe Im in too deep.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I understand why it was cut from the record but I will always take more HT/Reanimation/Meteora era LP.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this was a thing until omw home and had the radio on when they said a new unreleased LP song just premiered. My first thought was "with Chester?" then they played the song. I'm glad this stuff is getting heard but it sucks knowing how things ended up. Good song nonetheless.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Tempted to get the meteora 20th anniversary collection. Without a doubt my favorite album from them.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The production of the song feels like it betrays the sound of Meteora for the sake of chasing something more modern sounding. The riff is completely drowned out by every other sound making it very hard to hear any guitar goodness.

Oct 25, 2017
The production of the song feels like it betrays the sound of Meteora for the sake of chasing something more modern sounding. The riff is completely drowned out by every other sound making it very hard to hear any guitar goodness.
This might interest you, the deluxe CD version of Meteora 20th will include the original mix done by Andy Wallace in 2002, which I'm excited to hear the difference. It's only on the deluxe CD and not even the $200 Super Deluxe set has the original mix, but I guess that's a business decision by Warner to milk the most out of collectors. This new mix was done by Manny Marroquin who also mixed Living Things and some of the One More Light songs, which explains why it sounds more modern.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This might interest you, the deluxe CD version of Meteora 20th will include the original mix done by Andy Wallace in 2002, which I'm excited to hear the difference. It's only on the deluxe CD and not even the $200 Super Deluxe set has the original mix, but I guess that's a business decision by Warner to milk the most out of collectors. This new mix was done by Manny Marroquin who also mixed Living Things and some of the One More Light songs, which explains why it sounds more modern.

If its on Spotify I will give it a listen, and hopefully it does sound like a Meteora track this time. But I lost most the interest with the way they decided to release the song.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like history has been kind to Linkin Park, and I'm glad

I used to hate them but I admit I was too critical. They're honestly pretty good, whereas a lot of other music from that era or the rap-rock / nu-metal genre is legitimately unsalvageable.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
I thought that until I heard it in my car speakers instead of my phone and the guitar came out a lot stronger, sounded just like a meteora track for me. I think mike even said he left it practically untouched, But hey to each their own.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I thought that until I heard it in my car speakers instead of my phone and the guitar came out a lot stronger, sounded just like a meteora track for me. I think mike even said he left it practically untouched, But hey to each their own.

I find that hard to believe when the riff sounds intentionally watered down by every other sound being more prominent in the song. Going back to Meteora just confirms it as everything in the mixes of those songs didn´t allow the riffs to be overshadowed. And lets face it, heavy guitar riffs in the early 2000´s were crucial in rock songs at the time and today they are more unfavorable than anything. So its not a coincidence it was released sounding like this.

I dont doubt car speakers help though, I feel like everyone says ¨but then I heard it through car speakers¨ for songs that dont sound good to them (or have production/mixing issues) at first but it doesnt mean what they heard first isnt still there.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I've wanted Meteroa on vinyl for quite awhile now and it's pretty rare and expensive. I may just go ahead and cough up the cash for this 20th anniversary edition just so I can finally write this album off of my most wanted list.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
]

I find that hard to believe when the riff sounds intentionally watered down by every other sound being more prominent in the song. Going back to Meteora just confirms it as everything in the mixes of those songs didn´t allow the riffs to be overshadowed. And lets face it, heavy guitar riffs in the early 2000´s were crucial in rock songs at the time and today they are more unfavorable than anything. So its not a coincidence it was released sounding like this.

I dont doubt car speakers help though, I feel like everyone says ¨but then I heard it through car speakers¨ for songs that dont sound good to them (or have production/mixing issues) at first but it doesnt mean what they heard first isnt still there.
idk seems in the same vein as numb, not everything was super heavy with guitar riffs by lp then, in fact it was taken off because it was too similar in sound with numb.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Store link for METEORA20 super deluxe:

Meteora 20th Anniversary Edition Super Deluxe Box Set

Buy Meteora 20th Anniversary Edition Super Deluxe Box Set. Browse the vast selection of products available.

Meteora was the first CD I ever bought. I asked my mom to get it for me from the store. It was a CD I was enamored with - the art style, the liner notes, the roll-out - everything. My mom also got me Pokemon Sapphire during this trip to the mall too. My memories are playing Pokemon, reading books, and listening to this album. I remember trying to find leaks online during this time as well, and Figure.08 was the song that kept popping up.

I haven't bought a CD since Meteora - but fuck it, I splurged on the collectors for the poster/lithograph and artbook physical stuff. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but this is one of the few pieces of media that really takes me back to a time where I first really started to develop my taste in things.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having trouble buying the anniversary set? Tried on my phone and computer, and the "Buy Now" button when checking out will just grey out and not do anything.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand / read, AI was used, but it was fed artwork by artists who were commissioned specifically for the video. That's what I read on Reddit, anyway.

They used stable diffusion on top of some art they commissioned. The company responsible is the type who claims they're "democratizing art" because of course they are. Im sure they could have afforded a studio to make a music video without that.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
They used stable diffusion on top of some art they commissioned. The company responsible is the type who claims they're "democratizing art" because of course they are. Im sure they could have afforded a studio to make a music video without that.
for this particular project its not like they fed it to AI and called it a day. a lot of people involved.
Mike is just the type to ride with the new wave of tech. Not surprising considering he has his own NFT thing.
and lol,breaking the habit video is 2 decades old. they can do normal anime any day of the week.

View: https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/1624152390483202049

View: https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/1624152391942811648

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
for this particular project its not like they fed it to AI and called it a day. a lot of people involved.
Mike is just the type to ride with the new wave of tech. Not surprising considering he has his own NFT thing.

View: https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/1624152390483202049

View: https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/1624152391942811648

The director for this was literally an NFT artist who has an NFT based web series. Yes its not only AI created, but it does use stable diffusion which as we know, is unethical. Unfortunately yeah, in line with Mike's personal projects.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
The director for this was literally an NFT artist who has an NFT based web series. Yes its not only AI created, but it does use stable diffusion which as we know, is unethical. Unfortunately yeah, in line with Mike's personal projects.
Well he is an artist himself (outside of music), so i guess he thinks its fine.
This release actually made me wanna catch up with what Mike has been doing past years and i stumbled upon this twitter thread. It seems like he doesnt think its doom and gloom with AI art.

View: https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/1557760896453120000

Then again i think its unfair to mop him with "ai art is great" crowd. Tech itself is cool its just heavily abused and misused. Like there is nothing wrong with creating this kind of video with original art imo.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Like there is nothing wrong with creating this kind of video with original art imo.

As long as it requires Laion there is a problem. Personally I wouldn't be funding animators who run NFT properties for music videos, but since there's some human input here its going to be deemed good. Personally I like the song, but the video just feels off.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There is a reason for that. This is a new mix done by Mike. There's gonna be a 2002 mix (done by Andy Wallace) available as a bonus track that should most likely fit in more with the album. Then again, I'm also the kinda person that prefers a handful of the b-sides than what ended up making it onto albums. It will always baffle me that something like say, In Between, made the cut on MTM instead of Across the Line, No Roads Left or Blackbirds.
Oh, that's good to know. I'm definitely looking forward to the 2002 mix then.

This came up on my shuffle randomly yesterday so it entered the music ecosystem fast lol.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Love the song. It feels like a brief look into what Meteora could've been before WB basically forced them to make Hybrid Theory part II.

The video is absolute shit though. It looks like it was made using a free Instagram anime filter. Just making a video using the raw footage would've been a million times better. And of course the production company is somehow related to NFTs and the blockchain because Mike can't fucking help himself these days. Way to honor the memory of your friend, man.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason for that. This is a new mix done by Mike. There's gonna be a 2002 mix (done by Andy Wallace) available as a bonus track that should most likely fit in more with the album. Then again, I'm also the kinda person that prefers a handful of the b-sides than what ended up making it onto albums. It will always baffle me that something like say, In Between, made the cut on MTM instead of Across the Line, No Roads Left or Blackbirds.
I've been this way since I heard the Hybrid Theory EP. Their demos are so fucking good and a lot of them are better than the album releases.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Like the song, but can tell it's like a B-side to the album. Chester's voice sounds so damn good when he goes strong. Dammit
The video I think looks really weird. Now I know why: they used AI to adapt art to the video. You know, I like messing around with AI but it has that really bad uncanny valley thing going on. But I guess I can understand why it looked so weird to me when I watched it. Would have preferred just anime but that's just what they did with it, I guess.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
The music video is straight trash. We went from Breaking the Habit 20 years ago to...this? Like c'mon.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
]

idk seems in the same vein as numb, not everything was super heavy with guitar riffs by lp then, in fact it was taken off because it was too similar in sound with numb.

But you actually hear the intention of the song having a heavy guitar riff here, like other songs of the era. Its just the ¨single¨ version chosen to promote the anniversary has the riff drowned out over everything else. Its not like the recording equipment of the era made it this way or something, its how the people releasing it today wanted it to sound today.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Like the song, but can tell it's like a B-side to the album. Chester's voice sounds so damn good when he goes strong. Dammit
The video I think looks really weird. Now I know why: they used AI to adapt art to the video. You know, I like messing around with AI but it has that really bad uncanny valley thing going on. But I guess I can understand why it looked so weird to me when I watched it. Would have preferred just anime but that's just what they did with it, I guess.

I feel like that weird vibe fits the song though; i.e. "lost in these memories" while an AI-distorted clip of the Breaking the Habit anime plays...

The memories are nostalgia fuel but they aren't the reality anymore. And our recollections get fuzzier/more corrupted over time, even when we get stuck dwelling on past events. That surreal vibe of the constant AI distortions and filters made for a good visual representation IMO