entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've been replaying the DX version NSO's Gameboy app. Game ages like fine wine. I also played the remake on Switch, which I also loved. I know some folks hated the framerate issues. I had no problems. Hopefully Switch 2 can fix this for future replays. I've seen overclock mods fix it.

I owned and played all versions. This is my first time replaying DX a few years. I do wish the original GB version would be made available as well. But I doubt it.

I prefer it to the LTTP. It just have more personality, fun NPCs, and interesting stuff with the 2D sections. It is also just a tighter playthrough. LTTP has the 3 baby dungeons, which kills the pacing for in replays. I prefer ABLW here, it fixes the pacing.

I actually care about Marin in the game, even with the tiny amount of dialogue. Zelda in LTTP is a typical damsel with no personality. Animal Village is rather fun and so is the original village. The humor with the photographer in the DX and remake, the trading game, the reaction if you steal from the shopkeeper. It just has so much more charm than LTTP.

I'm going to tackle the Oracle games next.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
They were all fantastic, especially the original at the time. Loved the photography aspect in the DX version and hunting down the color dungeon.

I'd love to see the Oracle games get a similar treatment in terms of remakes.

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
I wasn't too big on the remake but the OG will always be my favourite Zelda.

EDIT: time to listen to the OST for the millionth time I guess.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Absolutely brilliant game and an astounding achievement on Game Boy. Considering what Zelda 1 and 2 were on similar hardware before, it really goes to show what would have been possible before. Link's Awakening is a pretty much perfect game. The Oracles are also great.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite game of my childhood. Always loved it more than ALTTP. the overworld is so much better.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Close-to-perfect Zelda. Love the vibes, the overworld is nice and dense, great dungeons, great music. Best Game Boy game for sure.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
With OG being able to be sequence broken out of the box is incredible. I mean trying to figure out how many bosses can you beat without picking up the sword? the answer is at least one because you can break into TR, pick up the fire rod and beat that boss incredibly quickly in the OG version

DX is nice but honestly it's the one I never had as a kid (only eventually picking it up on 3DS).

I like the remake, it was fun and I think a shame that the devs didn't follow it up with an original game in the same style (or oracle remakes)

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Link's Awakening is, IMO, the best 2D Zelda and probably my favorite Zelda after Majora's Mask.

The fact that it was built for the black and white gameboy with all its limitations (tech, memory, buttons, screen, etc.) is probably one of the greatest testaments to "gameplay above all."

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game. I still prefer ALttP but it's really good nonetheless.

I need to play the Oracle games soon

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's fantastic and a classic for a reason. Easily my most replayed Zelda game and I'd argue one of the best because of how tight an experience it is. It's crazy they could release a 1-1 remake 20+ years later and it still holds up.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Still really good! Link's Awakening was my personal first Zelda game as a kid and I still love the heck out of it today.

I think the performance issues in the Switch remake hold back my appreciation for it a little bit but I overall adore that version of the game too.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The original is a strong strong candidate for best Zelda game ever alongside Zelda 3.

The remakes are both mostly excellent (the colour dungeon and the dampe make-a-dungeon both suck) but I still prefer the original - I really like the GB music for this one, and the monochrome adds to the dreamlike quality of the game

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's fantastic and a classic for a reason. Easily my most replayed Zelda game and I'd argue one of the best because of how tight an experience it is. It's crazy they could release a 1-1 remake 20+ years later and it still holds up.
The remake added some really cool features like the journal feature for tracking sea shells and heart containers. Hope they continue that in future remakes.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
First Zelda game I finished without any help as a kid. In my memories, it took years.

In reality it probably just took a few weeks / month.
I love this game dearly.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played it for the first time on the Switch with the remake.

Freaking loved it, it might just be my favorite experience on the system, period- I even enjoyed it more than BOTW or TOTK. Perhaps because it was my first time playing it, and I missed the classic Zelda formula, but yeah. It was such a tight and charming experience.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The remake added some really cool features like the journal feature for tracking sea shells and heart containers. Hope they continue that in future remakes.
I knew somebody would mention the small additions! Come on! lol. There's also the dungeon maker feature which I'm guessing nobody used beyond making one experimental dungeon.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly liked it a lot more than A Link to the Past although I might be biased since I played it first. The characters and world have much more personality.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed its quirkiness. It had goombas, a chomp-chomp, and other references to other games in it. I beat it on Switch via the remake, and really enjoyed that also.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Also the localisation for this was so good. You got Marin! Is this your big chance?
It's a shame the switch version didn't replicate the cool font.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I watched my older sisters play this when I was really young and its mood and vibes were definitely formative for me, shaping my taste in media forever afterwards. I played every version of it as I got older and it remains my favorite 2D Zelda. Probably would choose the original Gameboy version as the best.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Fantastic games, in all iterations. That said, they are a bit simple by todays standards and I consider ALBTW a superior actual game, and the GB games suffered a lot by having such limited controls, something the remake did help with a lot.

Either way though, they are all top tier 2D Zelda, along with LTTP and and ALBTW. Seasons and Ages are not quite as good but still good.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's my favourite Zelda game. Although I do prefer the original to the DX and also the remake. I feel it kinda gets worse each time they try to make it "better" or update it in some way. The black and white original is the way it was designed and the best version of the game. Luckily it's so good that each time they try to add something new, even if it gets worse it's still better than almost everything else.

LA for lyfe.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Incredible game. The original was actually my first Zelda game and still one of my favorites. DX is still the best version, then original, then remake. I enjoyed remake overall but it lost something from the original.

DX and Oracle of Seasons are the only 2D Zeldas I consider 10/10.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Link's Awakening is really fantastic. It holds up through all the years.

When I replayed the Oracle games I felt they aged far worse.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I did not enjoy it. I never played it till the remake, and it just wasn't my thing. I got lost a few times and just didn't really find the world or game or events particularly enjoyable. Was super disappointed considering the praise it always got.

I definitely could see how it would've been huge at the time having a full Zelda experience on the OG Gameboy, but it didn't do much for me today.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Awesome. One of my favorite Zelda games.

I prefer the GB/DX version over the Switch version though. Only pain is the constant item switching in the old ones.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
This is my favorite game of all time. I've probably beaten it at least 100 times. Got a casual speedrun time down to like 2.5 hours too, just for funsies.

I do wish the original GB version would be made available as well. But I doubt it.

The Zelda Game & Watch machine has the original GB version on it instead of the DX version, if you're interested. I got one a couple years ago and keep it on my office desk for random pick up and plays.

YcRzBOIbPpp4IGOn2E9R8hwcH3iAOpbS7ZJYN7sIqPc.jpg

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Love the original two, sold my copy of the Switch version. Absolutely inexcusable that the framerate tanks to the teens in the overworld. Disgusting. The originals on GB and GBC provide a more stable experience. Embarrassing.

I'm almost never a graphics/performance guy, but this was just terrible and killed it for me.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Links Awakening is my favorite Zelda game. Getting through Eagle Tower as a child is one of my favorite accomplishments.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Can never touch the GB versions ever again after playing the remake

Having more than one button for your items is a godsend

Or that annoying "wow, this looks heavy" message if you so much as look at a rock

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive for Game Boy but a skeleton of a Zelda game to me.

The pop-up text boxes in DX don't bother you? I found that so exasperating with the pickups and later when pushing up against liftable blocks without the gloves. Skyward Sword has nothing on LA's intrusive text boxes.

Seik

Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
It's fantastic and I would replay it now if I didn't already back in January, just by the mere mention of it.

It's a testament of all you can do so much with so little.

Derbel McDillet

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Tal Tal Heights is the best Zelda theme.
I like a lot of ideas on paper, but for all the wandering you get to do there only seems like there's one way to do things so if you miss it you're left trying all this other stuff to no avail. So that's why I always found Zelda to be pretty obtuse as a kid. Now that I'm older I recognize it better, but the issue is still there.
Dungeons don't particularly stand out to me.
Overall I've never been too into this game, but it technically is my first Zelda, but I find to be the most restrictive in terms of making progress so following Breath of the Wild with a remake of this always seemed like an odd choice.
I can appreciate the original.
I don't like the Remake at all.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I have never finished it despite having played quite a bit of it over the years. I really like the "weird gameboy game" vibe that it seems like it exemplifies more than just about any other game I've tried. And I was surprised that the switch remake manages to retain this. However, I wish there could have been a way for the switch game to also retain the screen-by-screen progression of the original. I realize this wouldn't really work with the new aspect ratio. But without it, I felt like the outdoor environments in particular felt strange.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Always preferred it to Link to the Past. Despite coming out on more dated hardware, it's a much more modern-feeling game. Just the layout of the world, little quality-of-life things like the tip line, better dungeons. Also, it's got that weird melancholy that I think the best Zelda stories have, whereas LttP is more of a straightforward fantasy tale. Liked the remake quite a bit, although at times it was maybe a little too cute?

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
They are a nice little game, kind of "loose" in the logic of the iten gathering but nothing really worrying

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Great game overall, gets a little annoying in the second half but still pretty damn good. The first Zelda game that "clicked" with me and my second favorite behind Link Between Worlds.

The remake is really solid and the QoL improvements are good, I just wish it didn't stutter in the overworld. I probably still prefer DX for that reason but I'd still recommend the remake to people interested.

My only real complaint with it - and I've found this to be semi-controversial - is that I think Eagle's Tower sucks. The dungeon gimmick is annoying and the solutions feel obtuse, it's everything I dislike about dungeon design in older Zeldas. Thankfully it's the only part of the game that I find frustrating.