• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally got around to beating DK94 earlier in the year (and touched upon that experience in this thread) and so have continued my quest of playing through classic Game Boy games I've not yet played by jumping into Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, or to use it's translated name "The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls" which was a game a lot of posters highlighted in the aforementioned thread.

Kaerubox2.PNG

This game often gets mentioned as a footnote when discussing Link's Awakening, as that game features a cameo from one of the characters from The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls. I think both games also use the same engine (or shared development tools anyway). (Edit: they don't) Both games feature a top down overworld along with several 2D platformer sections, with gameplay consisting of combat and puzzles for the player to solve.

The main thing that had put me off from playing this until now was how the game deals with combat. When you bump into an enemy you both disappear inside a cloud of dust while the game takes health off both the player and the opponent at regular intervals. There is no input from the player, so it's often easy to tell if you'll win or if you'll lose. On paper, this doesn't seem engaging, however in practice this is more of a progress check to ensure you have done and found everything you need to do before beating a boss and moving onto the next section of the game.

The reason this game is held is such high esteem is the story, the world design and just how charming the game is. It's also very funny and often breaks conventions in fun ways. It's world is small but dense, and while it's not a difficult game (nor a long one, it took me just under 7 hours to beat) you're always sent off to do something new with each new objective.

You're also able to transform into a frog and a snake, with each having their own pros and cons (the snake can fit in small gaps, but can't jump. The frog can jump higher and swim, but can't fight anything but bugs)

Overall this stands right up there in my view with the very best games on the Game Boy, highly recommended.

What do you think about the game, Era?

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
never heard of this game before. Are there many of these japan-exclusive Nintendo-made games? Like this and doki doki panic.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I struggled with the game early on over its combat but once the fan translation came out I was able to better get into the game and completed it. I enjoyed the game after my play-through. I've still got a boxed copy of the game in my collection.

It would be cool if Nintendo could localize the game themselves and put it up on NSO so others can play it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I thought it was okay, although I kinda got bored around 2/3 of the way wandering around not sure where to go (even with a translation), so I never finished it

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
I worked on the fan localization and it was one of my most favorite projects of all time. We really tried to pretend like we were 1992 Nintendo and make something extremely polished and fun. Our first patch was the last patch and people seem to enjoy it which was awesome.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
I worked on the fan localization and it was one of my most favorite projects of all time. We really tried to pretend like we were 1992 Nintendo and make something extremely polished and fun. Our first patch was the last patch and people seem to enjoy it which was awesome.

The translation is great, it's got a lot of personality and it's very easy to love. The combat is more than a bit off-putting though, for the reasons OP mentioned.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
haha, this is funny. I stumbled over this a few weeks ago. never heard of it before. the Richard from Link's Awakening comes from this game.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
I loved the Switch Link's Awakening which was my first playthrough of that game, and during my phase of watching Zelda video essays I recall hearing about this game. Need to play it one day.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's a fantastic localization! It read exactly how I'd imagine it'd be localized in 1992

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
never heard of this game before. Are there many of these japan-exclusive Nintendo-made games? Like this and doki doki panic.

I'm not sure if there are any others than come to mind, but this is a top tier early 90s Nintendo first party game, and the English version is amazing

Ah that's so cool. It's kind of reminded me of the early Paper Mario games in terms of humour and tone, I thought the script was a joy

Been waiting for the toruzz colorization to play the game.

I remember hearing about this. If it ever comes out I'd def be up for replaying it

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I've ALWAYS wanted to try this but never got around to it. I'm a stickler for only emulating games I actually own, so it's been easy for me to shelve the idea and play something more within arms reach.

Also thanks to the localization peep!

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought it was okay, although I kinda got bored around 2/3 of the way wandering around not sure where to go (even with a translation), so I never finished it

I only really got stuck enough to need to check a guide once, overall I found that it did a pretty good job of telling you where you needed to go next and what you needed to do

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's such a charming experience. You just have to know "combat" is more of a progression gate going in or accept it when you discover it.

I own a boxed copy of this game (fairly rare for me with cardboard boxes), but still haven't gotten around to playing it…

I just wish I could somehow play the original cart with a patch running via hardware.

Oh, well you learn something new every day lol

Yeah, I've been saying it was the same engine for YEARS now - that's going to take me a while to remember to stop saying.

Good to know, though!

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite Game Boy game right next to X. Seeing Prince Sable's sticker in Brawl when I was younger made me really curious about what game he was from, so I ordered a copy off eBay and stumbled my way through the game with light use of a guide (mainly near the end where it becomes a bit more difficult to understand what to do). I really like the simple dust cloud combat system, Fairune is the only other game I've played that has a similar feel to it. It makes the final boss feel even more epic when suddenly you have to actively attack him to win. I've only played a bit of the fan translation but I definitely want to dig into it sometime, I was surprised at how funny the script was.

The game's main theme and recurring motif are also insanely catchy, I especially love the end credits version of it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnMcyyXCHVs

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's such a charming experience. You just have to know "combat" is more of a progression gate going in or accept it when you discover it.

I think it was your comment saying that in our exchange in my previous thread (linked in the OP) that pushed me into deciding to play it as my next Game Boy game

You are right though, and I like that the game does sometimes subvert that. I love when you get the shied to beat the Mammoth and it doesn't work, so you have to go back to the guy who told you to get the shield to complain, and that sets you off back to the last area to get the item the last guy mentioned he was working on

It's such a neat and tidy little game

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I love this game. It's weird and unique, and at no point could I predict what was around the corner. The lack of an official localisation is the biggest barrier to recommending it, but the fan translation's really well done if you don't mind jumping through some mild hoops.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
One of those cult classic Nintendo games I always meant to get around to and never did. I wonder what the chances are it gets a remake someday allowing it to get a global, localized release.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think it was your comment saying that in our exchange in my previous thread (linked in the OP) that pushed me into deciding to play it as my next Game Boy game

You are right though, and I like that the game does sometimes subvert that. I love when you get the shied to beat the Mammoth and it doesn't work, so you have to go back to the guy who told you to get the shield to complain, and that sets you off back to the last area to get the item the last guy mentioned he was working on

It's such a neat and tidy little game
It warms my heart to know that I helped push you into it. It deserves more love and attention that it will ever get, so I'm always thankful to hear people experienced it.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a game I've always wanted to play, wish that Nintendo would localize it and put it on NSO. For a time I wished that we got the prince as a playable character in Smash, it was nice to see him as an assist trophy I guess.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
I discovered this game both through Smash speculation and through reading about the characters when playing Link's Awakening on Gameboy and after playing it a few years back it really is a special game. I always think about the set pieces too, I love the wild west area and going into the mine, and the ice area and dicking around with penguins and the like. Just such a weird and charming game and not really one you could do a sequel to but still one worth being remembered

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
This was the first game I played through when I got my Analogue Pocket and I absolutely loved it. So charming and fun. Would love to see it on NSO so more people can play it.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I loved it. It's a simple, short game oozing with charm. As somebody who has a hard time appreciating turn-bases JRPGs, the combat system was a blessing.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Played it first when the translation first hit and instantly loved it. I ended up buying a boxed copy immediately.

There are a decent number of Japan-exclusives from back during the NES/SNES/GameBoy era. A few on the 64.

After that, they've been pretty good about releasing everything internationally, but there are a select few exclusives after the 64 as well.

But yeah, quite a few from the Famicom era.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the middle of it myself. So far I'm feeling like it might be one of the best games for the Game Boy and it's a shame it never got a release outside Japan.
Kazumi Totaka's soundtrack deserves a lot of praise too, along with his work on Link's Awakening I'm not sure anyone else quite managed the feat of making the Game Boy sound pleasing to the ear as well as he did.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
it was made by Super Metroid team so no wonder this is a fun game.

To be more precise most of Super Metroid staff came from TFFWtBT team.
Actually this is how I found about this game after buying Super Metroid official guide from Nintendo where above is stated.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Great pick and writeup OP! Incredible game and one of my first Japanese imports back in the 90s. Always loved the style of combat and how it borders "puzzle-solving" requiring you to find hearts or equipment in the overworld to beat some enemies. Also neat it did the whole "main dungeon you revisit multiple times" thing over a decade before Phantom Hourglass.

The main things holding it back for me are the story often lacking direction and the 2D platforming (which takes up a decent chunk) being less fun than overworld exploration. While it works for the tone of the game and is consistently hilarious, I recall the plot often being "okay, you got this thing but oh no! now we need your help with this random thing!!". Would have liked to see a bit more depth to the story like we get with Link's Awakening, but both complaints only bring it down to a 9/10 which I still consider excellent.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great pick and writeup OP! Incredible game and one of my first Japanese imports back in the 90s. Always loved the style of combat and how it borders "puzzle-solving" requiring you to find hearts or equipment in the overworld to beat some enemies. Also neat it did the whole "main dungeon you revisit multiple times" thing over a decade before Phantom Hourglass.

The main things holding it back for me are the story often lacking direction and the 2D platforming (which takes up a decent chunk) being less fun than overworld exploration. While it works for the tone of the game and is consistently hilarious, I recall the plot often being "okay, you got this thing but oh no! now we need your help with this random thing!!". Would have liked to see a bit more depth to the story like we get with Link's Awakening, but both complaints only bring it down to a 9/10 which I still consider excellent.

I actually really liked the 2D sections, and how smart they were at showing you things on other screens you need to go the long way around to get. It's really smart design to show the player where they need to go and where things are

I do take your point that the overworld is in general more fun to explore though. The 2D sections are much more linear

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I actually really liked the 2D sections, and how smart they were at showing you things on other screens you need to go the long way around to get. It's really smart design to show the player where they need to go and where things are

I do take your point that the overworld is in general more fun to explore though. The 2D sections are much more linear
Yeah, these are only minor complaints as I still find the 2D sections fun especially with the frog's high jump. I think the main thing holding the 2D platforming back is the pacing of some of those castle sections. They're pretty linear as you noted which can make some feel longer as you traverse room after room. They're also lacking the dungeon-like structure (e.g. backtracking or "circling around") of Zelda, Metroid, or even the game's own overworld.

Just finished replaying Goemon 3 last week and if this game had 2D platforming dungeons on par with that I'd consider it an even better Zelda-like than Goemon 3 (which is probably my top 2D Zelda-like).