Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect him to actually apologize but good on him.

PS5's SSD and architecture is getting praise from a lot of devs specially recently.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Yeah, there is much more under the hood than just the raw speed on both the XSX and PS5 storage solutions.

The question is what benefits will they have in the real world, in real games? We know things will load faster, that's an easy one.

But will gameplay be massively improved on some games? On only first party? Will it take many years for developers to figure out? Remember how the PS3 had some really impressive features, but it took until the end of the generation for games to start taking advantage.

Nobody here really knows. We are all just speculating right now. I'm just happy the biggest bottlenecks of the current consoles, CPU and storage speed, have been fixed on both of them. In a big way.

But we do know some stuff. Citing Matt, who is a 3rd party developer:

"You had to work hard with PS3 CPU to get the most out of it. The PS5's IO is just there."

www.resetera.com

VG24/7:Epic rewrite I/O subsystem with PS5 SSD in mind

for games that actually leverage it anyway. I foresee a lot of multiplat games not having too much of a difference between versions. maybe one will load slightly faster than the other

And he als said that in 3rd party titles there will be some benefits on the PS5, but games won't be designed around it. First party will benefit the most of course.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
should have released his apology as an apple notes screen cap.

nb. we've seen this kind of hubris from the LTT channel before, but their videos are usually pretty enjoyable. fair cop for apologizing.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
That is because he is a pc fanboy, in that he honestly believes there is nothing a console could offer that a pc could not.

Pretty much all his takes on any console have been uninformed, simply because he is uninformed about consoles, since he does not care to inform himself(which is understandable, when he is a tech youtuber producing mostly pc and mobile stuff, and has access to enough custom pc/pc parts to make a seperate pc just for his living room to act like a console replacement)

Good on him to show that he it at least somewhat willing to admit where he was wrong, but i 100% expect him to just move on and spout new uninformed stuff as we get more info on next gen consoles.

ok, this a little ridiculous. There are tons of videos about consoles and their technical aspects. He is definitely not uninformed when it comes to consoles.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
main-qimg-b512cf6355d74f5428799475c0f5f266.webp

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Pretty wild that y'all trust youtubers more than industry veteran developers.
Why?

Those developers are working, speaking for, and being paid by corporations trying to sell their product.

Linus has corporations fighting to get him to review their products. (and is clear when something is sponsored)

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video actually made me significantly more excited for that SSD in the PS5. Sounds more and more like it truly could be a game changer, particularly in 1st party titles.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
when i saw the video i thought he said something racist LMAO if it's just console vs pc warring gone wrong then it's fine
Funny you should say that. Earlier in the week he had a very ignorant stance on dating outside your race to end racism, which he never really apologized for but he did donate $20,000. Kind of wish he would've given such a dramatic apology for that instead of platform war bullshit.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
No...I'm just pointing how you're trusting youtubers with less knowledge than devs to verify why the devs are happy with what the Playstation team came up with.

Well the problem is that the devs who can even talk about it are mostly Sony devs. What else are they going to say?

And more importantly, no one can talk in detail yet about what the ahrdware really means in terms of development, because they can't. So all we have is: It's the bestest ever, trust us!

I mean, I don't disbelive them, necessarily, but I don't feel more informed either.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
So Sony paid him off too?

On a serious note - I get the feeling he's doing this because he let it get out of hand and realised that Sony might probably stop sending him swag to review on his channel.

I want to believe the apology is genuine but we live in a duplicitous world.

All the same - this was a lame beef.
eh he doesn't need Sony to send him swag really, His company is pretty loaded, not some beginner youtuber.

Also you can probably count on one hand the number of Sony products he reviewed recently as Sony doesn't do much pc stuff lol

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I can appreciate owning up to your mistakes, but whole tone of this video seems a bit overdramatic for talking shit about what Tim Sweeney had to say about PS5's SSD.

At least I have a better understanding of how it works now, though.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Apology videos = youtube views = revenue for Linus. I wouldnt be surprised if he made the first video with plans to make an apology video later.

So it would be better to not apologize at all..

What's the alternative? Tweeting an apology or posting on Facebook or some such wouldn't really work in this case, the only good apology is a video on his own channel to reach and educate the audience that he mislead in the first place.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we can all agree SSD is a game-changer for next-gen now?
I don't really think it will be. I guess it depends on your definition of a "game-changer", though. "Faster load times" doesn't strike me as something that will result in drastically different games or game design. It's a nice quality-of-life improvement.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Well the problem is that the devs who can even talk about it are mostly Sony devs. What else are they going to say?

And more importantly, no one can talk in detail yet about what the ahrdware really means in terms of development, because they can't. So all we have is: It's the bestest ever, trust us!

I mean, I don't disbelive them, necessarily, but I don't feel more informed either.

Yes...and trusting youtubers who have even less access to the tech to tell you to be happy is bizarre to say the least.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
eh he doesn't need Sony to send him swag really, His company is pretty loaded, not some beginner youtuber.

Also you can probably count on one hand the number of Sony products he reviewed recently as Sony doesn't do much pc stuff lol
fairly certain he reviews speakers, TVs, hi-fi equipment - he's a tech reviewer, not just a PC reviewer.

Not a space to talk shit to one of the largest tech conglomerates on the planet lol.

Good on him for owning up to his foolishness, most people can't they just double down and dig deeper and deeper.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
This is not relaly an accurate take at all. Sound slike you're the fanboy to be honest.
Fanboy of what ?
I dont own a sony or ms console at all, i have more or less the same setup as linus, a strong pc for the graphicly intense games and stategy games, and a switch for indies and nintendo games.
ok, this a little ridiculous. There are tons of videos about consoles and their technical aspects. He is definitely not uninformed when it comes to consoles.
There is no need to jump upon me to his defence.
My comment wasnt meant in malice, i dont think he is a fanboy in the negative sense that is often used here, but more the sense that he wholly believes in pc above all other platforms.
I just found it funny that so many in this thread seem to think he has a hateboner for consoles, when its more of a disinterest.
Irc he even commented on the switch as being a good companion to a pc setup.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I don't really think it will be. I guess it depends on your definition of a "game-changer", though. "Faster load times" doesn't strike me as something that will result in drastically different games or game design. It's a nice quality-of-life improvement.

I think this will be the case for 95% of games next gen. It's that other 5% that has me curious.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
No don't you get it, Linus is uninformed, and I the forum warrior know all sorts of console trivia and tech knowledge. Ask me anything about the PS5 ssd read speeds and I'll make you moist in the groin region. Ask me anything regarding Xbox and you'll buckle at the knees and cream out your jeans. By the way can anyone else just NOT WAIT for a Demons Souls port remaster HD 2? Hehe UwU

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Sony must be loving this. A channel with 11m subs basically dedicating a video to how amazing your next-gen tech is and it cost Sony nothing.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Fanboy of what ?
I dont own a sony or ms console at all, i have more or less the same setup as linus, a strong pc for the graphicly intense games and stategy games, and a switch for indies and nintendo games.

There is no need to jump upon me to his defence.
My comment wasnt meant in malice, i dont think he is a fanboy in the negative sense that is often used here, but more the sense that he wholly believes in pc above all other platforms.
I just found it funny that so many in this thread seem to think he has a hateboner for consoles, when its more of a disinterest.
Irc he even commented on the switch as being a good companion to a pc setup.

Well you could have just said that. I definitely agree he's a typical PC gamer with not much interest in consoles. But that doesn't make him a fanboy anymore than just being interested in consoles make you a fanboy.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
But we do know some stuff. Citing Matt, who is a 3rd party developer:

"You had to work hard with PS3 CPU to get the most out of it. The PS5's IO is just there."

www.resetera.com

VG24/7:Epic rewrite I/O subsystem with PS5 SSD in mind

for games that actually leverage it anyway. I foresee a lot of multiplat games not having too much of a difference between versions. maybe one will load slightly faster than the other

And he als said that in 3rd party titles there will be some benefits on the PS5, but games won't be designed around it. First party will benefit the most of course.

Yeah, it's just there, but both consoles also have "secret sauce" with compression and decompression and how they handle textures, etc. etc. We have no idea how that will play out right now.... and probably won't for a few years.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Sony must be loving this. A channel with 11m subs basically dedicating a video to how amazing your next-gen tech is and it cost Sony nothing.
When you make really technologically impressive stuff you tend to get excited people talking about it on Youtube.

I guess you could say it cost Sony a shitload of R&D to make the technology needed to get this kind of reception.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
That's mmmh... overdramatic I guess.

The intro was pretty much the 101 "I did something morally unacceptable" YouTube apology video.
The dude is canadian, that's why lol

I enjoyed the video. He even apologized his own staff.

And his explanation about the PS5's SSD was really informative

Always enjoy his content. Up there with DF in terms of explaining tech in a simple way to the overall public.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
It is gonna effect all different game designs more then load faster, gonna be able to have bigger worlds for instance etc

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a laymen's summary of what is so fancy about the PS5 even compared to a gen4 nvme drive in a high end PC? Or in what way is it beyond what the PC can currently do? I didn't really follow his quick summary, but also not looking for a 40 minute video.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's ironic that in this video, Linus made it easier to understand the advantages of their SSD better than Cerny lol.
This stuck out to me too. I was surprised Cerney was telling us indirectly that this type of tech would lead to smaller file sizes. Ofcourse his talk was focused towards developers but ASony as a company knew they should've followed up on this with another rep breaking it all down instead of relying on reaction videos (only 3 of which provided meaningful insight)

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people on this forum that take part in these discussions need to at least watch some of this. Will help you out an awful lot when it comes down to taking part in future discussions on the PS5 custom I/O chip and the affects.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now he has an idea of what he is talking about? Probably not but as long as you have 11m subscribers doesn't matter much.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
fairly certain he reviews speakers, TVs, hi-fi equipment - he's a tech reviewer, not just a PC reviewer.

Not a space to talk shit to one of the largest tech conglomerates on the planet lol.

Good on him for owning up to his foolishness, most people can't they just double down and dig deeper and deeper.
Nah he shits on companies all the time lol

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh, that Linus.

Yeah, good for him, but what he said made me worried that we are in for another generation of poor performance PC ports.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
He read through the Era thread, watched The Cherno's videos, checked out the patents and more. Most people wouldn't have done any of that and just shrugged it off. Classy af really, even if he gets paid as people watch it, fair enough.

Bearded Linus kinda looks like Messi lol
That's it! I couldn't place who beardy Linus was reminding me of.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

Tim Sweeny is a billionare but people have already painted him a Sony shill including Linus. So don't be surprised if people now label Linus as one too.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
It is gonna effect all different game designs more then load faster, gonna be able to have bigger worlds for instance etc

But's that kind of thing is just more about having SSD as a standard vs not. Nto really what PS5's improved I/O brings to the table.

SSD's as a requirement will mean, higher quality assets, faster loading, more varied worlds, across pretty much all platforms.

The PS5 will singularly be able to crank those things up to 11, at least for the next 4 years. But what will that actually mean for games? For most, probably nothing, but at least for Sony exclusives it might mean a lot? That's the thing, we just don't know.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Linus is far from the only one who was bashing the PS5 SSD.

But at least he had the balls to admit he was wrong and talking out of his ass, unlike some other videos being shared around here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Are you serious?