• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKIXCPn2xB0

Thoughts? I think it's a pretty reasonable ranking grade for each console. There's probably one or two I would have shifted a level, but overall a pretty reasonable placing for everything. I probably would have pushed the original Xbox down a tier is probably the most standout one for me.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its not a bad list tbh. very reasonable

he didnt rank the vectrex but we all know its s tier tho

Linus_Tech_Tips_-_PC_Gamer_ranks_EVERY_Console_SKIXCPn2xB0_-_1627x814_-_30m46s.png

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone post the final list? Dont have the time to watch it now

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Just seeing the Wii U in that thumbnail as a C is painful to see. I loved that console, but I get it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why did he forget the Amico? Cornhole alone puts it in B tier

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The Xbox one being an F in the thumbnail despite being a C 💀

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good list. I do think that N64 should be A tier, though.
It's so crazy to me that the N64 was a massive failure for Nintendo and had so little 3rd party support but, had some of the defining games of the generation and some of the best games ever made. Just goes to show you that even when Nintendo is losing they are still changing the game.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
I think the lack of RPG and adventure games hurts my memory of the N64 - it was a very platformer-heavy console. Fantastic platformers, Mario 64 is an all-timer, great party games too, and it's fantastic that Smash Bros got its start there, but it didn't really have a lot of long-form single-player games. I could see why the N64 hits B tier while the SNES and PS1 hits S.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is a B console through and through right now for me.

The 2600 is an A tier console however.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
I think the lack of RPGs hurts my memory of the N64 - it was a very platformer-heavy console. Fantastic platformers, Mario 64 is an all-timer, great party games too, but not a lot of long-form single-player games. The SNES had a lot of those kinds of games, so I could see why the N64 hits B tier while the SNES hits S.
Paper Mario and Ogre Battle 64 are both fantastic RPGs, but it definitely needed a few more in their league.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'd give the Saturn and all modern Xboxes (X1+XSX) a one-step boost. Apart from that, it's okay. I don't think the Saturn or Xbox One belong to the same tier as the Wii U.

Last edited:

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
Paper Mario and Ogre Battle 64 are both fantastic RPGs, but it definitely needed a few more in their league.

Oh definitely. My personal N64 library was relatively sparse (shout-outs to my copy of Mischief Makers I think I accidentally left in a Toys-R-Us 20 years ago, bruhhh), but yeah, it had some great games. Just could've done with some deeper experiences. Like, the PS1 probably had, like, 30 fantastic single-player action games and RPGs that could keep a kid engaged for weeks. N64 just needed a few more good ones, in my opinion.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
PC-FX in the same bracket as shit like the Fairchild Channel F is blasphemous

Also disagree with 360 in S tier. Half of that system's life was vapid garbage

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly.....I'm not mad at it despite each of the Sega consoles being a tier too low. All 3 of those PlayStations absolutely belong in S tier, though, and I appreciate the OG Xbox actually getting the proper respect. Switch is a bit too high for my tastes, and as is 360 if you factor in all the garbage from that generation and not just the good.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Its a pretty reasonable list, I cant overreact and rage over this... unfortunate

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Original Xbox over GameCube is a crazy person take

Then I'm batshit insane. Morrowind, Half Life 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, KOTOR series, Halo series, tons of Sega Bangers, lead platform for Splinter Cell, best multiplats, plus forward-facing features like Xbox live and a built-in hard drive(faster loads, more capacity, easier/feasible PC ports). It's an S-tier in my heart, but got killed off early.

I owned and loved the Gamecube too, but Xbox has it.

Annihilo

Sep 14, 2019
i agree with most of these aside from a few
ps4 sure as hell aint an S. A would be acceptable
ps3 is a b/c at best

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
PS3 should be in the S teir when it comes to games. Damn I miss that Gen. Didn't care about the framerate in Motorstorm 1 and other games, was just FUN AS FUCK and looked Great. Warhawk... 🤌🏽

Edit- although I don't agree with everything, fair rankings.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
as someone that only owned a gamecube and xbox that generation

LTT's order is correct.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii and PS3 don't deserve to outrank the N64, nor does the Xbox Series X deserve to hang with any of these. I almost want to push the original Xbox lower too, but modded versions of those were unbelievable as you could run XBMC and emulators, and so I give it a pass.

The PS3 hardware was an expensive bloated mess that stumbled into the HD generation half-baked compared to the Xbox 360. The Wii's software lineup was pretty weak overall with a lot of minigame collections and shovelware, and the novelty of the motion controllers wore off rapidly.

The N64 was a huge leap forward thanks to actually good 3d graphics and the addition of four controller ports. The library was limited in number but the hits were incredible. It paved the way for many forms of 3D video games and was (and probably remains) the best console for local multiplayer. The Wii gets too much credit for being innovative, and the N64 doesn't get enough - one of these consoles was a flash in the pan while the other had a lasting impact on the design of 3d videogames.

The Series X is not a disaster, but it also has to be one of the most forgettable consoles of all time.

Last edited: