• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
its not a bad list tbh. very reasonable

he didnt rank the vectrex but we all know its s tier tho

Linus_Tech_Tips_-_PC_Gamer_ranks_EVERY_Console_SKIXCPn2xB0_-_1627x814_-_30m46s.png
Vectrex was the very first system I ever played on. Hardly ever hear or see its name.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan.

But if I were to actually have to grade the system I have had the most joy on, I don't think anything could come close to the Xbox 360. The sheer amount of games that consumed me are staggering.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The longer I look at it the worse it gets.

OG Xbox and PS3 on level pegging with the Mega Drive? The fuck?

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Surprisingly reasonable list. I'd move a few things around, some drastically, but besides it existing as yet another "list for reaction" article/video it isn't terrible

PS5 is a B console through and through right now for me.

The 2600 is an A tier console however.

I couldn't go higher than C for PS5 as a lifelong Playstation fan, and that's being incredibly generous (needlessly biased). By far their worst output/support for a system, for my tastes anyway. Still have years left to improve that.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Then I'm batshit insane. Morrowind, Half Life 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, KOTOR series, Halo series, tons of Sega Bangers, lead platform for Splinter Cell, best multiplats, plus forward-facing features like Xbox live and a built-in hard drive(faster loads, more capacity, easier/feasible PC ports). It's an S-tier in my heart, but got killed off early.

I owned and loved the Gamecube too, but Xbox has it.

You have my sword. I played a ton of Jet Set Radio Future / Sega GT 2002 on my Xbox, as well as Morrowind, and of course Ninja Gaiden Black. It felt like a second Dreamcast with the Sega stuff like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2 / 2006, Crazy Taxi 3, Gunvalkyrie, and Otogi 1 and 2. As time goes on I am more and more fond of the OG Xbox library. I am only thankful that most it is playable via BC on my Series X. Shame about the lack of Outrun 2006 and JSRF though.

I think the list in the OP is solid.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good list except N64 being in B tier is wack. Should be A tier.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Super solid ranking. I basically agree with all of it, which is impressive. I do think I'd drop PS5 down to B, just because I feel we really haven't gotten much exclusive games for it. But I accept and A rank.

Kenaras

Nov 9, 2018
Original Xbox was a fantastic console. I've never understood why so many people view it so negatively.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
PS4/PS5 too high by like one notch, nostalgia bias tells me to bump the GCN and N64 up one. Wii U should be in a special G-tier class at the bottom. Otherwise solid.

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
Very boring list. Basically ranked by which ones had the most games/sold the most. Which are the ones with the least amount of unique identity. Some of the most exciting consoles to own had smaller, but incredibly compelling and unique libraries.

That era is gone, and now nearly everything is playable anywhere, so I think if anything those super unique libraries should matter more, from a classic gaming perspective.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Swap the PS4 and PS3, I would put PS3 in S tier for the PSN games alone

and drop the WiiU a rank, hardware was absolute ass and didn't even have its own 3D Mario/Zelda to buoy it

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Gamecube and Dreamcast should be in A, Xbox One should be in B and N64 should be in C imo, decent list otherwise

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan.

But if I were to actually have to grade the system I have had the most joy on, I don't think anything could come close to the Xbox 360. The sheer amount of games that consumed me are staggering.
My guess is that the Xbox's present woes are implicitly casting the 360 in a more negative light than it deserves (judging from several of the posts here). It was a phenomenal console with a great library and 3rd party and ecosystem dominance relative to the competition.

I also think the PSX, while groundbreaking in its day, has not aged well (fight me).

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Its not a bad list, but I'm not sure the 360 is better then the original xbox. For its time I think the xbox is the better console, but for the most part both are on par with each other. I would give the edge to the original xbox only because of the RROD on the 360.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
its not a bad list tbh. very reasonable

he didnt rank the vectrex but we all know its s tier tho

Linus_Tech_Tips_-_PC_Gamer_ranks_EVERY_Console_SKIXCPn2xB0_-_1627x814_-_30m46s.png

Lot of questionable choices here.

SNES at S rank is undeserved. Technically it struggled to outperform the Genesis despite being released 2 years later. Early games (RType) were plagued with slowdown until devs figured out workarounds.It also had some glaring genre gaps (sports) the NES did not, and Nintendo's censorship policies damn near ruined several high profile titles. I get that JRPG fans really like it despite half the best JRPGs never making it out of JP but it's not strong enough to be there.

Likewise the 360 really can't go there either with that whole red ring fiasco. Damn near half of the consoles ever produced self destructed in a spectacular fashion. Edit: and first party software support absolutely cratered for this thing in the second half, almost like MS got bored with it and prioritized other projects. Kinect is almost certainly the reason but getting into exactly why that is, is a thread all it's own.

NES at A honestly seems too low. That's the generation that made "Nintendo" synonymous with videogames. They literally meant the same damn thing for nearly ten years. Also consider how many franchises were popularized on that system that are absolute pillars of gaming right now. Super Mario Brothers, Dragon Quest, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, Double Dragon, Contra, Kid Icarus, River City Ransom. There simply isn't a system with that kind of impact. Only the PS1 is close to it. This is an S tier system, easily. For those that point to the technical limitations of the NES as a point against it- look at what was coming out BEFORE that system, or even compare NES titles like Bionic Commando or Contra to their arcade counterparts. That system elevated the quality of titles far past expectations.

The Wii is too high. There's a handful of titles that get some love but I've honestly never seen a system with so much shovelware trash making up the library. Nintendo should be ashamed at themselves for this one. It's the definition of a flash in the pan novelty console with no longevity. Motion controls are deader than OJ Simpson. There's no lasting impact from this thing at all except as a cautionary tale of what NOT to do with a system.

The PS5 shouldn't really be here. By all metrics it's doing very well, but it's not really fair to judge a console midway through it's lifespan. Both the PS3 and PS4 would be several tiers lower if judged at a similar point.

The N64 is at best a C tier system and this is being very generous. The library is smaller than the Dreamcast and that system was dead in a year. Go ahead and list the top ten titles for the N64. Now put those aside and try to justify buying that system with everything else. It's all wrestling titles and licensed junk, and those games were a good $30 more than equivalent games on the PS1. Nintendo's attempt at whatever that controller was also went over like a lead balloon. There's a reason every system since then is patterned after the dual shock.

The Neo Geo is at a B and the 3DO is at a D but if we are being honest these are the same system with the same problem. A library that was very limited but advanced for the time but WAY too expensive for the typical consumer. Not sure why there's a big gap between them.

No, a system that lasted exactly one year in the west does not deserve a B. Sorry, Dreamcast. Virtually everything on that worth playing showed up on the Xbox or PS2 anyway.

Xbox One and Intellivision at C are both nonsensical. The XBO library was largely similar to the PS4, and the One X was the strongest system of its generation. There isn't a good reason for a giant gap between the two. Likewise the Intellivision model II was *natively compatible* with 2600 games, and its own library on top of that was technically far superior to what Atari had been putting out.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'll whine about this a little: Mega Drive > Snes, and PS4 isn't top tier.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a bad list. S tier is too crowded.

Each of the current three console manufacturers have one console deserving of S tier.

360 is the obvious choice for Microsoft. It's one of the most important consoles of all time, having set the blue print for every console since.

I could see the argument for either the PS1 or 2. I'm personally not a fan of the PS2, but I get why people are attached to it. I think the PS1 is a bit more important.

Nintendo is a hard one. SNES is probably the right answer, but I can also see why the chose the Switch.

But of course the real GOAT is the Dreamcast.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I would drop all of the Xbox consoles one level except Xbox One. I would raise the N64 one level up.

I'm iffy on PS1, but also I never owned a PS1, so can't really judge. The game's library is largely uninteresting to me, especially in retrospect. I know people loved it, though. I just never really understood it.

NES (mainly for saving the industry lol), Switch, PS2, PS4 would be my S tier.

I loved the 360 for the first half of its life, but it really cratered in the second half, imo.

Last edited:

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
N64 is S-tier. This was Nintendo at its most unhinged. Hot Newz 64! Can I get a woo-hoo? WOO HOO!

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 got too many classics to be A tier, we got Souls games, the last of us and uncharted to name a few from it Without the PS3 the PS4 would not have a pot to piss in. The PS5 is fine in A for now but PS3 defo belongs in S.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
PS3 got too many classics to be A tier, the PS5 is fine in A for now but PS3 defo belongs in S.

If they're dinging the 3D0 and Neo Geo for being too expensive they're almost certainly doing the same with the PS3. I love mine, but $599 US Dollars in current money is somewhere close to the $1000 range.

That is WAY too expensive to justify especially since the library didnt really noticably distinguish itself from the 360 until the later years of the system.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
If they're dinging the 3D0 and Neo Geo for being too expensive they're almost certainly doing the same with the PS3. I love mine, but $599 US Dollars in current money is somewhere close to the $1000 range.

That is WAY too expensive to justify especially since the library didnt really noticably distinguish itself from the 360 until the later years of the system.
Most got their PS3 at sub $599, very unfair strike imo. And the PS3 library is heaps above the 3do and NG. PS3 is S tier.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty lock step with them until Sony. PS1 is S tier but even though I've owned all of them I've experienced a series of diminishing returns each gen. I think it's because they've slowly stopped making the colorful, silly games I love like Parappa.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Most got their PS3 at sub $599, very unfair strike imo. And the PS3 library is heaps above the 3do and NG. PS3 is S tier.

True, most bought it later but the very high price of it hampered adoption and third party support. It also only got DOWN to a reasonable level by stripping out all BC, the card readers, super audio CD support, and a few other things.

Is the library heaps better than the Neo Geo and 3DO? Well yeah obviously but those are both C tier systems at best.

PS3 is fine where it is at A. It did a lot, but had some serious flaws. In addition to cost it was also needlessly hard to develop for compared to the 360. Only Sony themselves really managed to get the most out of it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That F tier brings back a lot of bad memories... but I absolutely loved Chuck E. Cheese back in the mid-'80s. Showbiz Pizza was also up near the top. I get that this is totally age-specific (like most things).

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh the 360 is far from being in the top S, but I can agree about the others being S, maybe the SNES is kinda discussable but definitely the 360 shouldn't be there.