• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is that the Xbox's present woes are implicitly casting the 360 in a more negative light than it deserves (judging from several of the posts here). It was a phenomenal console with a great library and 3rd party and ecosystem dominance relative to the competition.

I also think the PSX, while groundbreaking in its day, has not aged well (fight me).

It was the perfect storm of games looking so much better and blockbuster trilogy of games still capable of being made within a single generation. 3 mass effects, 4 gears of war, 4 dragon ages, FOUR Bethesda RPGs, mid sized games still existed with gems like alpha protocol and a zillion others. The list goes on.

The generation was unusually long, but still. Goddamn. That 120GB I spent my entire Christmas budget on in 10th grade or whatever was probably the best accessory purchase I've ever made

Angel Cruijff

Jan 21, 2024
Tbh the 360 is far from being in the top S, but I can agree about the others being S, maybe the SNES is kinda discussable but definitely the 360 shouldn't be there.

Not agree with you, Xbox 360 was a massive hit, It had the games, It had the players, Xbox Live consolidation, Xbox Live Arcade games and even the first Kinect was a success xD.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not agree with you, Xbox 360 was a massive hit, It had the games, It had the players, Xbox Live consolidation, Xbox Live Arcade games and even the frist Kinect was a success xD.

And had RROD and was sold without HDD and had issues with disc format requiring multiple discs and tried to shove the biggest flop of history HD-DVD into our faces as an extra and so on and so on and also that gen in particular was far from being the best gen to start with without forgetting that it didn't even sell as much as the PS3 which had a catastrophic launch that lastsed for years so defintely not with the grandeur of the others in the S rank which have neraly perfect ratio even sales wise.
Also Kinect XD.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
360 not S tier??? Y'all crazy.

It standardized online console multiplayer.
Brought smaller and cheaper games on Live arcade, which even just 1 person could make and be successful.
Had some of the best exclusive games.
Gave us achievements.

360 was amazing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only comment I have is that the sheer pervasiveness of hardware faults with the Xbox 360 line mean it has no business being anywhere near top tier. Absolutely garbage design

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Don't pretend like y'all didn't have your PlayStations upside down or propped up somewhere to stop games from crashing. 😛

Plus they fixed RRoD for everyone for free.

Angel Cruijff

Jan 21, 2024
And had RROD and was sold without HDD and had issues with disc format requiring multiple discs and tried to shove the biggest flop of history HD-DVD into our faces as an extra and so on and so on and also that gen in particular was far from being the best gen to start with without forgetting that it didn't even sell as much as the PS3 which had a catastrophic launch that lastsed for years so defintely not with the grandeur of the others in the S rank which have neraly perfect ratio even sales wise.
Also Kinect XD.

Yeah, it wasn't perfect but Xbox 360 was much more than Microsoft expected, I think. They didn't even need to sell more consoles than ps3, I believe ps3 surpassed Xbox 360 in sales when the generation was already defined.
Then Microsoft ruined everything with Xbox One but that's a different story xd.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Brought smaller and cheaper games on Live arcade, which even just 1 person could make and be successful.
Gave us achievements.

360 was amazing.

I'm listening to a wrestling podcast a d they got off topic about being Playstation boys, but saying the XBox 360 was legendary, even though they moved away from XBox. It's easily S tier.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Gave us achievements.

360 was amazing.

Only product I ever waited outside over night for.

Was worth it despite 6 rrod's. A heavy cost, I paid it gladly.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
without forgetting that it didn't even sell as much as the PS3 which had a catastrophic launch that lastsed for years so defintely not with the grandeur of the others in the S rank which have neraly perfect ratio even sales wise.
Also Kinect XD.
People always talk about the 360 vs. PS3 sales without taking things into context. Sony was coming off of the PS2 which outsold it's competitors by a SIGNIFICANT margin. Like, it's not even a close race. For both Microsoft and Nintendo to gain as much market share as they did with the 360 and Wii is nothing short of a loss for the PS3.

Also, Zhuge posted this a few years ago regarding the sales numbers. The last reported numbers are not the final numbers.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
List aside that was actually a pretty fun little history ride there too.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Also Kinect XD.

RROD is obviously a notable mark against the 360, but they at least had the decency to front the bill for replacements (see also Switch joycons). PS1 disc drives failed everybody and you were just left to deal with it. And let's not even get started on NES carts (relative to say SMS). Clearly build quality isn't factored all that highly in determining the console's placement.

Also bringing up stuff like the HD-DVD drive which pretty much nobody actually bought is pointless, and if you did it wasn't like you got suckered into it for gaming purposes like say a Mega/Sega CD or 32X. There are worse peripherals situations on other consoles in the S tier. PS2 specifically had expensive tiny capacity memory cards, optional HDD and modem expansions that were under-supported, etc. Hell, BluRay won against HD-DVD largely because you actually WERE forced to pay for it along with the console, causing it to arrive a year later for $200 more expensive.

Kinect isn't being counted against Xbox 360, because there it was reasonably well supported and a late-gen boost to the console in general, and appealed to much of the same type of audience as the Wii. If Kinect is supposed to count against Xbox 360... then Move should logically count worse against PS3. Kinect on the other hand is justifiably one of the driving reasons for the Xbox One being lowest out of all Xbox consoles.

360 may not have outsold the other consoles of that generation... but like with the Genesis/Mega Drive you have to take their relative position at the start of the generation into account. Sony went from outselling OG Xbox 6:1 with the PS2, to barely edging out the 360 1:1 by the close of the PS3 generation (whilst losing the entire profits of the prior 2 generations along the way). That's a relative swing that's comparable to what the Xbox One would do to MS afterwards, or for Sega with the Saturn.

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Saturn inclusive of Japanese software would definitely be A or S-tier, but can't argue with the placement given the dumpster fire that was the western market.

Dreamcast should be higher for sure. That console and library remain incredible.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Yeah 360 is goated and I feel it gets ignored too much. It's overshadowed by how horrible Xbox One's launch was and how Sony was able to steady the ship towards the end of PS3's lifetime.

RRoD was almost a rite of passage lmao

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

Gave us achievements.

360 was amazing.
Even though I moved off of it and switched to PS3, I would say it is an S tier.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
its not a bad list tbh. very reasonable

he didnt rank the vectrex but we all know its s tier tho

Linus_Tech_Tips_-_PC_Gamer_ranks_EVERY_Console_SKIXCPn2xB0_-_1627x814_-_30m46s.png
Using this instead of giving Linus a view because fuck him

PS4 should drop down a tier, maybe even PS1.

PS5 should drop down a tier, and N64 and Gamecube should go up one.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018

Gave us achievements.

360 was amazing.

First half was great, second half of the 360's life was pretty eh. Too much kinect focus.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
its not a bad list tbh. very reasonable

he didnt rank the vectrex but we all know its s tier tho

Linus_Tech_Tips_-_PC_Gamer_ranks_EVERY_Console_SKIXCPn2xB0_-_1627x814_-_30m46s.png

PS4 down a tier to A
PS3 down a tier to B
Gamecube up a tier to A
Master System up a tier to B
PC Engine/TurboGrafx is S tier what the hell

Rest is somewhat fine but they hate all old consoles

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Intellivision a C? Too low, solid B maybe an A. Loved that console the thing was a beast too my original one is still working in 2024.

B-17 Baumer
Shark Shark!
ADV. D&D: Cloudy Mountain
Night Stalker
Microsurgeon
Burger Time
Thin Ice
Beauty & the Beast
Frog Bog

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ranking the Xbox 360 S-tier probably for its games, but the actual console sucked so much. Must've gone through like 4 of those things with how common the red ring of death was.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
The Dreamcast is too low. The Switch is too high (and it's a handheld ;-)). And I see no reason why the PS5 should be in a different tier to the Xbox Series X. I own both and they are equally great or mediocre depending on your view of the current generation.

My guess is that the Xbox's present woes are implicitly casting the 360 in a more negative light than it deserves (judging from several of the posts here). It was a phenomenal console with a great library and 3rd party and ecosystem dominance relative to the competition.

I also think the PSX, while groundbreaking in its day, has not aged well (fight me).

It was also the blueprint for modern console gaming. Every Sony / Microsoft console after the 360s release is pretty derivative and every console before it seems archaic. It's critically important to understanding the evolution of home consoles. Doesn't hurt that it had an excellent library of games also.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 in S just seems undeserved given the other consoles up there. Both PS and Xbox have gotten so standardized that gen that they feel closer to choosing between different phones or PC parts than a game console.

The generations earlier to that had more unique architecture, quirks, features and genre focus.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody who doesn't think the 360 is comfortably in the S tier has no fucking idea what they are talking about. It had one of the craziest release timelines in gaming history.

Bioshock, Skate, Halo 3, The Orange Box, COD4, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect came out in like a 3 month span of each other.

Further on you then Had Dead Space, Saints Row 2, Farcry 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and Left 4 Dead in the space of a month and a half.

Even further on? Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 in the space of 3 months.

To finish I hear you ask? Just Gears 3, Dark Souls, Battlefield 3 and Oblivion in a month and a half of each other.

We might never see anything like it ever again.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Anybody who doesn't think the 360 is comfortably in the S tier has no fucking idea what they are talking about. It had one of the craziest release timelines in gaming history.

Bioshock, Skate, Halo 3, The Orange Box, COD4, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect came out in like a 3 month span of each other.

Further on you then Had Dead Space, Saints Row 2, Farcry 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and Left 4 Dead in the space of a month and a half.

Even further on? Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 in the space of 3 months.

To finish I hear you ask? Just Gears 3, Dark Souls, Battlefield 3 and Oblivion in a month and a half of each other.

We might never see anything like it ever again.

... virtually all of those are multiplatform titles that showed up on PS3 or PC at the same time? This is a rather bizarre argument.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Is he a known Sega hater or am I just a Sega zealot? Dreamcast was / is a better console than OG Xbox and they both had short life cycles.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Is he a known Sega hater or am I just a Sega zealot? Dreamcast was / is a better console than OG Xbox and they both had short life cycles.

The original Xbox was vastly superior to the Dreamcast in any way that's possible to measure.

Third party support, online access, first party support, longevity of the system, multimedia capability, technical capability vs it's competition, overall volume of library....

And the OG Xbox was officially supported in the west from 2001 to 2006. The DC was 1999 to 2000. It was on shelves 5 times as long at retail.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Down to A: Switch and PS4
Down to B: Wii and PS3 and PS5
Up to A: Dreamcast
Up to B: Saturn
Up to C: 3DO

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
S tier seems too crowded. I don't think the 360 or PS4 deserve that spot.

I think 360 is able to be argued to be up there, it absolutely put Microsoft on the map to the point where it seemed to be the UKs defacto console vs its PS history. It did a lot, it was a revelation in services and took things beyond "just being online" and offering a marketplace pretty much kickstarted the indie digital revolution.

It did fall off towards the end, but in terms of impact, it did a big shift.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
360 def isn't in S tier for me cause I had to replace it so many times before MS even had a proper warranty scheme in place for how turbofucked busted it was

Shit machine, don't care how good the library is if it breaks all the time

As an aside fuck this Linus dude, thanks whoever posted the screengrab lol

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad at all, but I think the original Xbox and the PS4 are too high. Also, the N64 should be a S+ tier though...