• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
... virtually all of those are multiplatform titles that showed up on PS3 or PC at the same time? This is a rather bizarre argument.

Eh, I don't think games not being exclusive should eliminate a console from being S tier personally (and yes, something like a Steam Deck is absolutely S tier for it's library). Other S tier consoles that were strongly carried by exclusives either had the majority of them defacto from third parties (PS1 and PS2), or suffered heavily overall for the lack of games available on opposing platforms (SNES, Switch).

PS4 and 360 both land in a place where they shared the majority of their library with a direct competitor... but they were pretty much objectively the better place to play nearly every defining release of their respective generations. It's why I also disagree that consoles with similar libraries cannot be separated by a whole tier. If you're a worse, more expensive and possibly later arriving choice for the most important games of a generation, that's absolutely enough of a knock to put you a tier lower. Conversely being the better, cheaper and earlier arriving entry on the market for a generation of amazing and defining software should be reason to be placed a tier higher than the competition also.

And whilst many of the games listed were indeed multiplat... the insane release runs that they're talking about were made insane partially by the exclusive titles bolstering them. Bioshock, Halo 3 and Mass Effect were all not available to PS3 during that run, neither was Fable 2 and Gears 2. Gears 3 and Oblivion weren't either (though they appear to have mixed Oblivion and Skyrim up). Even some of the absolute best multiplatform titles of the gen like Oblivion, Bioshock and Mass Effect hit 360 as exclusives at least initially. And of all the games in that lineup, how many would the average person have received a better experience on PS3 than 360 playing them?

Much the same argument can be justifiably made for the PS4 over the XB1. XB1 getting the likes of Nier Automata eventually does very little to detract from how much of an asset it was for PS4 upon release, and there are few multiplatform titles that the average person would have experienced better on an XB1 than on a PS4. I actually think given the comparison it could be argued that for the average person the PS3 may deserve to suffer a 2 tier drop if the 3 tier gap of the XB1 is justified.

Is he a known Sega hater or am I just a Sega zealot? Dreamcast was / is a better console than OG Xbox and they both had short life cycles.

You're a Sega zealot, or at the very least a more niche type of user that would be posting on a forum such as this. Sega have always been my favorite of the console manufacturers... but if I had to create a tier list that wasn't just representative of my own personal tastes, I would find it extremely difficult to come up with arguments for any of their consoles other than the Genesis as being amongst the most sound choices for their respective generations.

Swap Xbox and N64 and it's perfect.

Not bad at all, but I think the original Xbox and the PS4 are too high. Also, the N64 should be a S+ tier though...

N64 is as high as it should ever realistically be. It's library is far too shallow relative to other consoles to justify being any higher. Being an N64 only gamer that generation was rough in many ways.

MANTRA

Feb 21, 2024
I would move PS5 and PS3 into B-tier, otherwise solid.

Edit: Also Gamecube up to A tier

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
There's too much nostalgia in some comments. Linus list is almost perfect if you do an unbiased ranking.

Niche groups see their favorite platform bigger and better than it really is.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
N64 is as high as it should ever realistically be. It's library is far too shallow relative to other consoles to justify being any higher. Being an N64 only gamer that generation was rough in many ways.

Don't take my comment too serious, my rational opinion is just the first half :) The second half is my biased opinion on the console that I played most and that brought more happiness than any other console I ever owned (and I owned almost every big console out there...).

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Using this instead of giving Linus a view because fuck him

PS4 should drop down a tier, maybe even PS1.

PS5 should drop down a tier, and N64 and Gamecube should go up one.
N64 and Gamecube had tiny libraries and a handful of decent games each, both kept more afloat by first party titles than third parties. They're great, but compared to the PS1 and PS2, they're in the right spot.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 being S tier is probably the most offensive to me.

Great 1st party, 3rd party, and Indies. This isn't JUST exclusives. It's anything that can be played on the system. If we say PS4 and Switch are basically even in terms of 1st party and indies, PS4 had far better 3rd party support. So if PS4 doesn't belong in S, Switch sure as shit doesn't.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
N64 and Gamecube had tiny libraries and a handful of decent games each, both kept more afloat by first party titles than third parties. They're great, but compared to the PS1 and PS2, they're in the right spot.

You can hold all these in one hand?

Smash Bros
Mario 64
Mario Party
Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Wave Race
Paper Mario
Diddy Kong Racing
Ogre Battle 64
1080 Snowboarding
Podracing
Goldeneye
Banjo
Snowboard Kids (god tier game stfu)

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Don't take my comment too serious, my rational opinion is just the first half :) The second half is my biased opinion on the console that I played most and that brought more happiness than any other console I ever owned (and I owned almost every big console out there...).

Fair. There's a separate unhinged Sega version of me making posts in an alternative universe, so I get it 😂

Regarding the OG Xbox. I think it's an interesting one, because today I would consider both it and the Gamecube being on the same tier to make a lot of sense based upon their games libraries and exclusives. However, at the time the OG Xbox was doing so much that was objectively better than either the GC and PS2, especially regarding online play, that I don't think a retroactive look back on its library is very representative of how good an overall console experience it was at the time. It's one of the few consoles on the list that offered an entire gaming experience that the competition outright had no comparable answer for. I would consider it being any lower to be a disservice for that reason.

Also, it's sometimes difficult to split so many consoles into so few tiers without some seeming to tread on each other's toes. The NES and Genesis for example I consider to be above the rest of the consoles in its tier... but I would agree that they would feel too high sitting alongside SNES, PS1, PS2 and 360. They (and the Switch imo) feel like they could occupy a space on the line between S and A.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
its not a bad list tbh. very reasonable

he didnt rank the vectrex but we all know its s tier tho

Linus_Tech_Tips_-_PC_Gamer_ranks_EVERY_Console_SKIXCPn2xB0_-_1627x814_-_30m46s.png

Ok, this is an excellent list. I normally don't care for Linus, but I'll give him props for this. SNES and PS1 are by far my favorite console generations, and I'm glad to see them in the "s" tier since those generations were easily some of the best for games.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Xbox 360 at S tier list is laughable. Just the build quality should be enough to disqualify it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In case you need a refresher on why some of us are condemning Linus...
www.resetera.com

The problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics & Responsibility [Gamers Nexus] - Up: Allegations of Abuse by Former Employee of LTT

frequent errors in videos week after week rushed content with a focus on quanitity rather than quality which multiple employees have confirmed themselves on a recent video where employees are allowed to talk openly about whats it like to work at ltt conflict of interest the community getting...

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's a few things I'd move around. Most egregious for me is putting PS5 in A tier when it belongs in B at absolute best. It's basically just like the PS4... except now a considerably more expensive ecosystem, with less customization and fewer exclusives. If that's an A to you, then you might as well consider Wii U and Xbox One an A too, lol. This generation is so far from an A so far that it hurts.

Idk tho, I was fully 'in' last gen, enough so that I see the PS4 as an A at least and a definite S contender (and the One X occupying the slot that PS5 currently occupies. I could see the PS5 (and Series platforms) being stronger offerings for people who didn't get really into the previous gen consoles like I did.

Last edited:

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
In case you need a refresher on why some of us are condemning Linus...
www.resetera.com

The problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics & Responsibility [Gamers Nexus] - Up: Allegations of Abuse by Former Employee of LTT

frequent errors in videos week after week rushed content with a focus on quanitity rather than quality which multiple employees have confirmed themselves on a recent video where employees are allowed to talk openly about whats it like to work at ltt conflict of interest the community getting...

Saying bad things about famous channels on YouTube is a kind of career path I assume. DKOldies has a community of "concerned youtubers" eager to let the world know how bad they are. After some ads.

Some massive operation like ltt will be prone to mistakes here and there. But the community making videos about it is just laughable.

Ranking is good. Everyone has its own preferences but overall is a solid take on the subject.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with mostly all of these. OG Xbox and 360 would have been down a rank imo, but other than that I find it just about perfect

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Saying bad things about famous channels on YouTube is a kind of career path I assume. DKOldies has a community of "concerned youtubers" eager to let the world know how bad they are. After some ads.

Some massive operation like ltt will be prone to mistakes here and there. But the community making videos about it is just laughable.

Ranking is good. Everyone has its own preferences but overall is a solid take on the subject.
Keep reading the thread (specifically the threadmarks), it gets even worse. It goes beyond just "a few mistakes".

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Linus tech tips had to announce an internal investigation into harassment/bullying culture at the company, which there's been no update on since.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
These are boring without handhelds:

IHO51ga.png

Left to right order matters. Includes JP exclusive games, so the PS2, PS1, DS, SNES, GBA, PSP and Saturn are all super mega fucking overcharged, while the Vita and 3DS get decent boosts too.

EDIT: I do sort of immediately want to move PS5 to B after posting this, but A felt too small with only two things in it and it's definitely a cut above the PS3 >.<

Last edited:

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the video. Learned some things from the history bits, but overall agree with the list. Would maybe change one or two myself, but its pretty solid. Fun video.

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
User banned (1 month): Downplaying sexism and harassment. Account in junior phase
Keep reading the thread (specifically the threadmarks), it gets even worse. It goes beyond just "a few mistakes".

I get it. But I won't follow the hate train. I prefer stay at the good side. If I need this kind of content about ltt I already know where to find. Tks.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria

I would suggest to keep reading the thread, it goes beyond a few mistakes and frankly even dismissing the many factual errors is a bit odd

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This...is actually a good list.

Although I would move the PS4 from S ---> A and the PS5 from A ---> B.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I get it. But I won't follow the hate train. I prefer stay at the good side. If I need this kind of content about ltt I already know where to find. Tks.
This is such a strange framing of what the other poster is talking to you about. If you're not interested, ok then, but allegations about workplace bullying aren't 'content'

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
SNES is top tier. I dont care about anything else as long as the SNES is recognized as being amongst the best or the GOAT.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think PS5 has earned A Tier yet, I'd shift both it and Series S/X down one.

Regardless, Linus is a clown

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Came in expecting to hate it, but that's a damn good list.

Take Switch and PS4 out S
Switch has almost every game from NES, SNES, GBA and N64 of note, and a good deal of Gamecube games. That's on top of its already massive library of current gen greats. Unless you don't like Nintendo consoles, I don't see how it would be any less than S tier.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anybody who doesn't think the 360 is comfortably in the S tier has no fucking idea what they are talking about. It had one of the craziest release timelines in gaming history.

Bioshock, Skate, Halo 3, The Orange Box, COD4, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect came out in like a 3 month span of each other.

Further on you then Had Dead Space, Saints Row 2, Farcry 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2 and Left 4 Dead in the space of a month and a half.

Even further on? Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 in the space of 3 months.

To finish I hear you ask? Just Gears 3, Dark Souls, Battlefield 3 and Oblivion in a month and a half of each other.

We might never see anything like it ever again.
Even just looking at Microsoft published titles from launch to the end 08 shows a strong line up.

Kameo
PGR3
Perfect Dark Zero
Geometry Wars

Gears of War
Viva Pinata

Crackdown
Forza Motorsport 2
Shadowrun
Blue Dragon
PGR4
Halo 3
Viva Pinata Party Animals
Mass Effect
Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action

Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
Fable II
Gears of War 2
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Another Scene it game

Add in notable third party games like COD 2, Dead Rising, Oblivion, BioShock, and Left 4 Dead—all of which had some form of exclusivity—and it's easy to see how the 360 gained the legacy it did.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think I'd put PS4 in S tier list, but I get that he'd want to position it above PS5 and PS5 above XSX, and putting XSX in C tier would perhaps be a bit harsh.
Outside of that a safe but very defensible list.
Wii U in C tier hurts but I can't fault it. So many stone cold classics, but only one or two a year.

Jun 16, 2023
Germany
As someone who fancied Playstation and Nintendo in his younger gaming years I absolutely agree with the rankings of X360 and the Xbox Classic.

If you take out the RROD issues, the X360 had an advanced gpu featureset that was not even available on PC market at that point and the catalogue was absolutely sublime. The original Xbox was a pretty neat tech showcase and came with a lot of cool features that were far beyond what other manufacturers were doing at that point. That console reached the next level when you installed XBMC on it. That absolutely transformed it into an Anime movie player for me back then. :D

Apr 20, 2022
I own all but PS1 fun the S tier. All deserved, they really are fantastic for both games and what they brought to the table. Switch deserves it's own SS tier because it's a hardware revolution creating a new market of powerful handhelds and the games, wow, they're the most critically acclaimed and best selling across any console ever. The best 1st party line up in history. The likes of Mario of Zelda are almost 40 year old yet they're still mega relevant and influential this day and age.

PS5 at A? Fuck no. It doesn't have many exclusive games almost 5 years in. That's terrible. Down to B.

GameCube should be A tier, the games on that system were awesome.

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Love the Gamecube and N64, two of my favourite consoles, but anybody who tries to put these above Xbox 360, PS4, PS5 or even the Xbox One is a delinquent. Just the sheer volume of good titles available for any of these consoles along with online play outplay these two consoles and their 20ish above par games, even if some of them are groundbreaking.

I also have no love for the NES. Put it in C please.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Even just looking at Microsoft published titles from launch to the end 08 shows a strong line up.

Kameo
PGR3
Perfect Dark Zero
Geometry Wars

Gears of War
Viva Pinata

Crackdown
Forza Motorsport 2
Shadowrun
Blue Dragon
PGR4
Halo 3
Viva Pinata Party Animals
Mass Effect
Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action

Lost Odyssey
Too Human
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
Fable II
Gears of War 2
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Another Scene it game

Add in notable third party games like COD 2, Dead Rising, Oblivion, BioShock, and Left 4 Dead—all of which had some form of exclusivity—and it's easy to see how the 360 gained the legacy it did.

I think the second half of the 360 lifespan (Kinect era) being weaker than the first half kinda gave people a negative perception of the whole console, for some reason.

The 2005-2010ish run of that console was incredible. Wide variety of genres, and great third & first party exclusive releases. Even for multiplatform games, the 360 version was by far the best version in basically every case. The release pace was insane, XBLA was fresh and full of innovative games, and the online community/setup felt like a gigantic leap over previous gen & what the competition had.

RedBullRB6

Sep 4, 2020
Not too shabby overall, but there are some missteps and weird inconsistencies, let's go through them:

1. NES should be S tier:
First of all Mega Man, Castlevania and Mario, even if you count All-Stars, were not made redundant by their successors on SNES. It also feels weird that the NES seems to be the only console "losing points" by its successor. If they applied that to Xbox360, PS3 and Wii U they would drop HARD from their respective positions. Also PS360 have aged worst of all consoles, yes, including Gen5! I'm totally fine with them being in S and A though, but don't knock NES for stuff that you don't do for other systems.

3. N64 and GCN up to A.
Okay, N64 was absolute garbage for RPGs and bad for fighting games and shmups. And games like THPS often came a day late and a dollar short. But what it did right, it did RIGHT.
Some GOAT singleplayer games, best multiplayer games not only of that Gen but they still slap today, great sports games, best soccer games, best wrestling and best first-person-shooters of that generation. Turok, nuff said.
Gamecube is very similar, has aged absolutely gracefully and has consistently great games from first and third party developers.

3. Wii down to B.
You can't knock N64 for third party and give Wii a pass here. First party felt way less ambitious than N64 and GCN apart from Galaxy obviously.
It absolutely deserves praise and credit for reaching new people, but they could have done very simple and easy things to make their previous customers more welcome without losing their new audience.
Also atrociously bad online system.

4. Xbox One up to B.
In what universe are there THREE TIERS between PS4 and XBO when they share like 95% of their library? lol
Yes, PS4 was more powerful, cheaper initially and the general consensus is that it has the better exclusives, but that doesn't mean XBO also has some nice games that PS4 doesn't have. It also has excellent BC, Gamepass for those who care, arguably a more comfortable controller and a more interesting mid-gen upgrade.

5. TurboGrafx and NeoGeo down to C.
The TG is imo the best system outside the Top4 manufacturers, but in what world was it ever a better system than Saturn and Wii U?
I can't say much about systems like the 7800, Intellivision and ColecoVision, but it also feels weird seeing them next to Saturn.

Overall a solid list and a good video.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
Switch and 360 down to A tier
Wii and OG Xbox down to B tier
Jury is out on PS5/Series consoles
Maybe swap NES and SNES?

that's my take

PS4 is absolutely S tier tho. Some of y'all are nuts.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022
The only thing I find questionable is 360 in S-Tier. Not one system from that gen deserves to be that high, it's one of the worst generations imo.