• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good. They put a lot more effort into the production and packaging of this console than they did the original and S.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it yesterday, the box thing he figured out was pretty cool, hehe. Never would have tought of that.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this yesterday, I really like their stuff.

I'm pretty sure that he's wrong when he suggests that the original idea was to have all that Xbox One branding on the outside of the packaging because I can't believe that anybody would have thought it was a good idea to do that.

Do we know when the embargo ends so that we can see benchmarks, power usage and output noise?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that he's wrong when he suggests that the original idea was to have all that Xbox One branding on the outside of the packaging because I can't believe that anybody would have thought it was a good idea to do that.

Do we know when the embargo ends so that we can see benchmarks, power usage and output noise?

Yeah, I think so too. I always just assume that they start with any branding on the inside for shipping boxes so it's not so obvious what's in there if it's something sensitive or expensive.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the system on, too.

Holy butts! That's a lot of game codes!

Oct 25, 2017
Who does their videos?!

It sucks!

Jittery as shit. I can't watch too much of it. Making me kinda sick. Whoever is holding that camera has really jittery hands.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Who does their videos?!

It sucks!

Jittery as shit. I can't watch too much of it. Making me kinda sick. Whoever is holding that camera has really jittery hands.

Recently they have started to do these more casual live streams shot with a smartphone for less important stuff like unboxings. Their normal content is much higher quality.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I never realized how much came with a review unit of a console, that's pretty insane. I would love to see the metrics on the costs of the total review package vs exposure from reviewers. I get that with Linus he has millions of followers so that's a no brainer but for smaller tech or game channels is what i'm interested in, especially since most viewers probably watch multiple channels. So like if they watch Linus, blank, and blank, do they count that as three chances at a purchase or one?

OP
OP

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I never realized how much came with a review unit of a console, that's pretty insane. I would love to see the metrics on the costs of the total review package vs exposure from reviewers. I get that with Linus he has millions of followers so that's a no brainer but for smaller tech or game channels is what i'm interested in, especially since most viewers probably watch multiple channels. So like if they watch Linus, blank, and blank, do they count that as three chances at a purchase or one?

Some of these people reach millions of potential customers. Despite being a gamer, this was the first unboxing I saw because I sub to LTT. It's definitely worthwhile.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there is an embargo!
Uh, he was asking when the embargo was up so reviewers could show us the units powered on to gauge things like noise.
I think we all understood that there's an embargo, because it seems unboxings like to point out that they can't plug it in or turn it on in their videos. I was just pointing out that I heard a date when the embargo seems to be up in one of them.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Love Linus, expect a good video from them but yeah with 10 days to go im looking forward to content rolling in.

First on my list is the patches ready for launch

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A Review Box costs less than $1.000
A 30 seconds ad on prime time in the US is between low and mid 6 figures

That 1 minute Xbox One X ad during Sunday Night Football and the Walking Dead was likely between 1 and 1.5 million Dollar total.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
A Review Box costs less than $1.000
A 30 seconds ad on prime time in the US is between low and mid 6 figures

That 1 minute Xbox One X ad during Sunday Night Football and the Walking Dead was likely between 1 and 1.5 million Dollar total.

Damn, insane thanks for the info, now I want to look more into this stuff, super interesting. Companies must love the youtube advert business then if its that large of a price difference especially for the millions of views a person like Linus gets.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, insane thanks for the info, now I want to look more into this stuff, super interesting. Companies must love the youtube advert business then if its that large of a price difference especially for the millions of views a person like Linus gets.

Social Media Marketing is so much cheaper. And depending what you want to achieve it's even more effective.
Also one reason, why Publisher have better margins today.

Beside Nintendo with their Superbowl Ad, Sony had the most expensive one last year.
They had a 1 Minute clip during the Thanksgiving Cowboys Game with viewers of 35 million and i would estimate the costs to be between 2 and 3 million

Costs of Ads in the US is basically this:
Superbowl>>>> NFL Playoffs> NFL Thanksgiving >> NFL regular season / MLB Playoffs / NBA Playoffs >> high profile TV shows

edit: I'm not 100% certain anymore if the Sony ad was actually a 1 minute or just 30 seconds clip. Don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Not going to lie that box design is cool and enthusiast as hell to someone like me.
Also my lord how many review codes did they send with that, goddamn that is crazy.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing they threw in the copy of Planet Earth 2 so the reviewers can show the 4k BluRay player works out of the box? Based on Linus mentioning the S had problems with playback at launch.

Dennis needs to get a bit steadier holding the camera for these livestreams though!

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I'll grab one around Christmas, trade in my old xbox and hopefully get one at the end of the year... Still need to decide on a good 4k TV that's 70"+

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Uh, he was asking when the embargo was up so reviewers could show us the units powered on to gauge things like noise.
I think we all understood that there's an embargo, because it seems unboxings like to point out that they can't plug it in or turn it on in their videos. I was just pointing out that I heard a date when the embargo seems to be up in one of them.
By 3rd Nov reviewers can show things other than unboxing!

Social Media Marketing is so much cheaper. And depending what you want to achieve it's even more effective.
Also one reason, why Publisher have better margins today.

Beside Nintendo with their Superbowl Ad, Sony had the most expensive one last year.
They had a 1 Minute clip during the Thanksgiving Cowboys Game with viewers of 35 million and i would estimate the costs to be between 2 and 3 million

Costs of Ads in the US is basically this:
Superbowl>>>> NFL Playoffs> NFL Thanksgiving >> NFL regular season / MLB Playoffs / NBA Playoffs >> high profile TV shows

edit: I'm not 100% certain anymore if the Sony ad was actually a 1 minute or just 30 seconds clip. Don't quote me on that.

I want to add that the reach even of "influencers" with less than 500 followers is much higher than this. I don't know the exact multiplier but it can reach hundreds. Means people invest willingly around 5 minutes to watch a video around and about your product you place there. Thats a lot of reach for just $1000!

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
Just real quick, I was watching another unboxing and he said that he's unable to show anything powered on until November 3rd.
Lamarr Wilson's unboxing video (he mentions this about 35 seconds in).

Hopefully next Friday is when we'll be able to see everything people are willing to show us.
Thanks for that, I do appreciate it.

I hadn't watched that video because I really don't like his channel. To me it just seems to consist of companies sending him stuff and him talking about how amazing it all is while pulling faces, irrelevant of what he's been sent. It just feels like a sponsored channel and it's almost like there's no real content in it.

I'm glad you watched it though.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for that, I do appreciate it.

I hadn't watched that video because I really don't like his channel. To me it just seems to consist of companies sending him stuff and him talking about how amazing it all is while pulling faces, irrelevant of what he's been sent. It just feels like a sponsored channel and it's almost like there's no real content in it.

I'm glad you watched it though.

Lol, yeah. I'm not a really fan of his either. I just was looking for more unboxings to watch on youtube and his was up there on the search results page (I basically stopped watching like a minute in). That date, though, did perk my ears up and hopefully a week from today we'll be seeing a lot more... intensive looks at the Xbox One X from everyone who has one now.