Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I was dealing with random hard locks when shutting down my system and finally narrowed it down to attempting a shutdown while Kopia is in the process of taking a snapshot. Which, considering these run in the background and on a schedule, is pretty shit.

I'm going to give Borg (via Pika Backup or Vorta) a try, but I'd like to know what other people here use for incremental system snapshots. I snapshot to my NAS and my plan is to eventually sync them to a Hetzner Storage Box.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I just found out this OT exists, I have been playing games on Arch for years now.

Did my best to contribute to Wine over the years especially with new World of Warcraft expansions and updates ever so often. As WOW runs really really well on Linux with 3D Cache CPUs.

I own a Deck OLED and I'm really happy with SteamOS, if they ever decide to ship this to work with NVIDIA and some other AMD cards for desktop PC use, I'll definitely switch from Arch

I was dealing with random hard locks when shutting down my system and finally narrowed it down to attempting a shutdown while Kopia is in the process of taking a snapshot. Which, considering these run in the background and on a schedule, is pretty shit.

I'm going to give Borg (via Pika Backup or Vorta) a try, but I'd like to know what other people here use for incremental system snapshots. I snapshot to my NAS and my plan is to eventually sync them to a Hetzner Storage Box.

In terms of snapshots I have been using Vorta with my macOS and Linux machines, it works pretty great as long as you follow the QT version that they use.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I own a Deck OLED and I'm really happy with SteamOS, if they ever decide to ship this to work with NVIDIA and some other AMD cards for desktop PC use, I'll definitely switch from Arch
Hopefully soon! With Nvidia contributing to the open drivers and Valve adding gamescope support I'm thinking they are cooking up something. I'll switch instantly as well. SteamOS sold me on KDE after not liking it since forever.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Hopefully soon! With Nvidia contributing to the open drivers and Valve adding gamescope support I'm thinking they are cooking up something. I'll switch instantly as well. SteamOS sold me on KDE after not liking it since forever.

I couldn't use KDE 5 because of a bug in the VPN SSO but in KDE6 now that's fixed I'm switching from XFCE :-)

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023

I like Pika for Borg, but I think the key system Pika uses only works for GNOME if I remember correctly. So you just have to enter your key all the time if you use another DE. Vorta is more feature rich but the Pika GUI is very nice.

Personally I'm a big fan of Restic, especially with Autorestic.

It's CLI based and there isn't really a good GUI for Restic but once you have your Autorestic yaml set up then there's nothing to do. It handles cron and pruning and everything else extremely well.

I back up all of my server VMs and personal machines to my NAS in one repo and it deduplicates files across all of the snapshots from all of the machines, which is very cool. I push the snapshots conditionally to cloud, for the important stuff. I actually also make snapshots of my NAS storage using restic and keep them on spare drives that I store at a family member's house. I'm a backup weirdo.

I've wanted to make a thread about backups and Restic but I don't think most of this forum would be interested. I'm a SRE and it's something I think about all the time.

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I like Pika for Borg, but I think the key system Pika uses only works for GNOME if I remember correctly. So you just have to enter your key all the time if you use another DE. Vorta is more feature rich but the Pika GUI is very nice.

Personal I'm a big fan of Restic, especially with Autorestic.

It's CLI based and there isn't really a good GUI for Restic but once you have your Autorestic yaml set up then there's nothing to do. It handles cron and pruning and everything else extremely well.

I back up all of my server VMs and personal machines to my NAS in one repo and it deduplicates files across all of the snapshots from all of the machines, which is very cool. I push the snapshots conditionally to cloud, for the important stuff. I actually also make snapshots of my NAS storage using restic and keep them on spare drives that I store at a family member's house. I'm a backup weirdo.

I've wanted to make a thread about backups and Restic but I don't think most of this forum would be interested. I'm a SRE and it's something I think about all the time.
Make the thread. I'm currently doing encrypted Time Machine backups from my macbook (my main production machine) to my Synology NAS. The important backed up data also lives on iCloud, but that's sync and not backup, so I want to send the NAS backups to an offsite Hetzner Storage Box.

Setting all of this up on a Mac was an absolute breeze. It doesn't seem too difficult to replicate on Linux, but I'm still troubleshooting what the fuck it is that makes my system randomly crash on shutdown and suspend/resume. I thought it was Kopia, but nope. There's just nothing on the Journal and setting kdump up is a huge pain in the ass. Kdumpst, as recommended by the Arch wiki, automates the process but only for Grub, and I use systemd-boot.

Honestly I'm this close to giving up on the whole idea…

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Exactly my issue because at work we have Cisco VPN :-) I was still using XFCE for it... Had Gnome as a backup just in case..

But I prefer KDE, heck on my gaming rig I have KDE for HDR
Ironically my last workplace used Cisco vpn and was enforcing using their connector instead of being able to use the openconnect directly. Then I found that the openconnect package also included a script for it to run to auth against the main server as though it were a proper Cisco VPN client (because I hate that thing a LOT) and all was well, never heard a peep out of OIT or got any notices of not using the right client.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Ironically my last workplace used Cisco vpn and was enforcing using their connector instead of being able to use the openconnect directly. Then I found that the openconnect package also included a script for it to run to auth against the main server as though it were a proper Cisco VPN client (because I hate that thing a LOT) and all was well, never heard a peep out of OIT or got any notices of not using the right client.

Problem with it in KDE5 was the pop up for the SS0 credentials was bugged out, I opened a ticket for them to fix it and I'm glad they did end up delivering this in KDE 6

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Come on Nvidia, hurry up with these drivers so I can go back to Linux.

Hopefully they can be released before Dawntrail releases.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
Make the thread. I'm currently doing encrypted Time Machine backups from my macbook (my main production machine) to my Synology NAS. The important backed up data also lives on iCloud, but that's sync and not backup, so I want to send the NAS backups to an offsite Hetzner Storage Box.

Setting all of this up on a Mac was an absolute breeze. It doesn't seem too difficult to replicate on Linux, but I'm still troubleshooting what the fuck it is that makes my system randomly crash on shutdown and suspend/resume. I thought it was Kopia, but nope. There's just nothing on the Journal and setting kdump up is a huge pain in the ass. Kdumpst, as recommended by the Arch wiki, automates the process but only for Grub, and I use systemd-boot.

Honestly I'm this close to giving up on the whole idea…

What kind of system is this? What hardware? I know that nvidia cards often interfere with resume because of power managing issues.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
What kind of system is this? What hardware? I know that nvidia cards often interfere with resume because of power managing issues.
Arch with KDE Plasma, SDDM, Pipewire, Wayland and Systemd-boot on a LUKS encrypted BRFS drive.

Lenovo Legion Slim 5 14inch with a Ryzen 7840hs, amd igpu and nvidia dgpu (rtx 4060). Amdgpu driver installed, amdgpu module added to mkinitcpio for Early KMS, nvidia proprietary driver installed (nvidia, nvidia-utils, lib32-nvidia-utils), nvidia mode setting and preserve video memory kernel parameters set, with a custom path for the nvidia video memory file (/var/tmp) and the nvidia resume, hibernate and suspend services enabled. Nvidia modules are not added to mkinitcpio as early kms can cause the driver to attempt to restore video memory before the drive is decrypted according to the Arch Wiki. I know the nvidia resume setup works because most of the time the system will resume without issue, whereas with an incorrect config it would always fail.

As for nvidia power management, according to the Arch Wiki that is enabled by default on newer cards like mine.

Also, acpi_osi is cleared and then set to Windows 2015 in the kernel params to fix a firmware bug that causes the nvidia gpu to always fail to wake up on resume on this laptop.

EDIT: It seems to have been solved by a downgrade to nVidia 535 as per this Arch forum post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=293400&p=3

It is helpfully also included in Section 2.4 of this Arch Wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting

I now only have a couple of remaining minor issues, but both of these are minor and I'm back to daily-driving Arch:

1) I switched from Kopia to Vorta as Kopia is a bit too new for my tastes and for the purpose of long term data backups. Unfortunately there seems to be no straightforward way to run Vorta with read permissions for the entire filesystem (I am using these as full system backups). With Kopia I could do it by using Linux Capabilities (setcap), but because Borg runs under the Python interpreter, this would require me to give full read permissions to the Python3 interpreter itself (giving full read access to any Python script or binary), which is not something I'm going to do.

I could use sudo of pkexec to run it as root, but then I don't get the "app running in the background" icon in my KDE Plasma system tray, so I can't easily interact with it if I close the window.

For now I have resorted to using pkexec and just keeping the application minimized, but this is not ideal.

2) Sometimes my touchpad will fail to register a two-finger tap and get stuck as if I had a finger still on the touchpad (so single finger swipes will scroll, single finger taps will right-click...) and it'll need another two-finger tap to come unstuck. Not sure what the hell is up with that or where to even begin debugging it. Nothing looks odd on the journal.

Last edited:

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait to try this. I really hope this can iron the last few remaining showstopping issues.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
Arch with KDE Plasma, SDDM, Pipewire, Wayland and Systemd-boot on a LUKS encrypted BRFS drive.

Lenovo Legion Slim 5 14inch with a Ryzen 7840hs, amd igpu and nvidia dgpu (rtx 4060). Amdgpu driver installed, amdgpu module added to mkinitcpio for Early KMS, nvidia proprietary driver installed (nvidia, nvidia-utils, lib32-nvidia-utils), nvidia mode setting and preserve video memory kernel parameters set, with a custom path for the nvidia video memory file (/var/tmp) and the nvidia resume, hibernate and suspend services enabled. Nvidia modules are not added to mkinitcpio as early kms can cause the driver to attempt to restore video memory before the drive is decrypted according to the Arch Wiki. I know the nvidia resume setup works because most of the time the system will resume without issue, whereas with an incorrect config it would always fail.

As for nvidia power management, according to the Arch Wiki that is enabled by default on newer cards like mine.

Also, acpi_osi is cleared and then set to Windows 2015 in the kernel params to fix a firmware bug that causes the nvidia gpu to always fail to wake up on resume on this laptop.

EDIT: It seems to have been solved by a downgrade to nVidia 535 as per this Arch forum post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=293400&p=3

It is helpfully also included in Section 2.4 of this Arch Wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting

I now only have a couple of remaining minor issues, but both of these are minor and I'm back to daily-driving Arch:

1) I switched from Kopia to Vorta as Kopia is a bit too new for my tastes and for the purpose of long term data backups. Unfortunately there seems to be no straightforward way to run Vorta with read permissions for the entire filesystem (I am using these as full system backups). With Kopia I could do it by using Linux Capabilities (setcap), but because Borg runs under the Python interpreter, this would require me to give full read permissions to the Python3 interpreter itself (giving full read access to any Python script or binary), which is not something I'm going to do.

I could use sudo of pkexec to run it as root, but then I don't get the "app running in the background" icon in my KDE Plasma system tray, so I can't easily interact with it if I close the window.

For now I have resorted to using pkexec and just keeping the application minimized, but this is not ideal.

2) Sometimes my touchpad will fail to register a two-finger tap and get stuck as if I had a finger still on the touchpad (so single finger swipes will scroll, single finger taps will right-click...) and it'll need another two-finger tap to come unstuck. Not sure what the hell is up with that or where to even begin debugging it. Nothing looks odd on the journal.
Sorry I missed the post. 545 was an absolute disaster. Roll on 555.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Will EndeavourOS auto update to 555? Or will it skip straight to 560?

krs

Oct 25, 2017
Will EndeavourOS auto update to 555? Or will it skip straight to 560?
I assume you could always use the nvidia-all PKGBUILD with EndeavourOS too since it's based on Arch if you want the 555 driver ASAP. Maybe someone who knows could chime in though. Wouldn't want to advise you to do that only for you to break your desktop. But that's what I use on Arch proper at least.

github.com

GitHub - Frogging-Family/nvidia-all: Nvidia driver latest to 396 series AIO installer

Nvidia driver latest to 396 series AIO installer. Contribute to Frogging-Family/nvidia-all development by creating an account on GitHub.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I assume you could always use the nvidia-all PKGBUILD with EndeavourOS too since it's based on Arch if you want the 555 driver ASAP. Maybe someone who knows could chime in though. Wouldn't want to advise you to do that only for you to break your desktop. But that's what I use on Arch proper at least.

github.com

GitHub - Frogging-Family/nvidia-all: Nvidia driver latest to 396 series AIO installer

Nvidia driver latest to 396 series AIO installer. Contribute to Frogging-Family/nvidia-all development by creating an account on GitHub.
This is what I do (and just did on my office desktop). It's also easier to switch between versions of the driver in case one flakes out.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

github.com

Yep, did that earlier today and played some SF6, no issues.

That being said I'm on X11 anyway.

edit: with open source kernel module

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Exciting news about 555 being available!

Now to wait for the official test version of kwin with explicit sync added... I see in the AUR there's a patched version someone made, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble for me to figure out how to switch over to this, and switch back once kwin is available.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait until 555 hits Arch repos or AUR, but cool to see it come out. I will see if Wayland is viable once that hits, but if games don't run well, going to stick to X until there's a better solution.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I'll wait until 555 hits Arch repos or AUR, but cool to see it come out. I will see if Wayland is viable once that hits, but if games don't run well, going to stick to X until there's a better solution.

The beta is in AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-beta-dkms

That's how I do it. It's not completely seamless to switch to though, and every time it updates it runs into a dependency conflict that just requires me to run "yay" twice. I also had to deal with some dependency conflicts initially, which required me doing some manual uninstalls and reinstalls. I'd probably recommend the github link for Frogging Family above if you wanted to get the beta.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The beta is in AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-beta-dkms

That's how I do it. It's not completely seamless to switch to though, and every time it updates it runs into a dependency conflict that just requires me to run "yay" twice. I also had to deal with some dependency conflicts initially, which required me doing some manual uninstalls and reinstalls. I'd probably recommend the github link for Frogging Family above if you wanted to get the beta.
Cool that it's on there, but the hassle sounds like it might be worth waiting. X11 is working just fine, despite knowing Wayland is superior.

krs

Oct 25, 2017
Exciting news about 555 being available!

Now to wait for the official test version of kwin with explicit sync added... I see in the AUR there's a patched version someone made, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble for me to figure out how to switch over to this, and switch back once kwin is available.

I had to uninstall that one and go with the normal unpatched kwin for now actually, otherwise Firefox would crash for me with the same "explicit sync is used, but no acquire point is set" as reported in this bug. I'm using firefox-kde-opensuse so not sure it happens with the normal Firefox or not. There's a fix for it waiting to be merged here, but it looks to be only for kwin 6.1. But even with normal unpatched kwin the flickering in xwayland apps seem to be gone anyway.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish AMD cards were competitive with Nvidia. Went to install driver, system asked about 32 bit modules, promptly imploded. Yay.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I had to uninstall that one and go with the normal unpatched kwin for now actually, otherwise Firefox would crash for me with the same "explicit sync is used, but no acquire point is set" as reported in this bug. I'm using firefox-kde-opensuse so not sure it happens with the normal Firefox or not. There's a fix for it waiting to be merged here, but it looks to be only for kwin 6.1. But even with normal unpatched kwin the flickering in xwayland apps seem to be gone anyway.

If this is fixed with the existing kwin release, then I absolutely won't bother with any of that lmao.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I really wish AMD cards were competitive with Nvidia. Went to install driver, system asked about 32 bit modules, promptly imploded. Yay.
I don't know your situation but usually AMDGPU is baked into the kernel so you don't have to install drivers. That's why I went with an all AMD system with a 6700XT. Every time I install a distro, I don't have to worry about drivers for it.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know your situation but usually AMDGPU is baked into the kernel so you don't have to install drivers. That's why I went with an all AMD system with a 6700XT. Every time I install a distro, I don't have to worry about drivers for it.

I had a 7900XTX and it worked absolutely perfectly, but got a 4080 Super for the DLSS. I was hoping these new drivers would end the Nvidia nonsense, apparently not. Might just go back to AMD and lose some performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I was using Arch for a bit as my daily driver and loving it, but realized that none of my games from PC Game Pass were accessible. There's no way around that atm, right? They're all UWP apps which I don't think Linux has historically had much support for if any. VR is finally in a decent spot and this thing is prepaid so this is the last thing I need before I can let go of Windows for good.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a 7900XTX and it worked absolutely perfectly, but got a 4080 Super for the DLSS. I was hoping these new drivers would end the Nvidia nonsense, apparently not. Might just go back to AMD and lose some performance.
Isn't a 7900xtx basically within single digit framerate/percentage differences outside of cyberpunk RT (gimmick)?

If you're into linux I would just go amd to save the headache. not worth the increased price + drama for better RT frames and upscaling on a card that will munch games at native res anyway.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
With the mess Microsoft is planning with Windows, I'm going to switch to Linux what should I know about compatibility with HDR and VRR?

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was using Arch for a bit as my daily driver and loving it, but realized that none of my games from PC Game Pass were accessible. There's no way around that atm, right? They're all UWP apps which I don't think Linux has historically had much support for if any. VR is finally in a decent spot and this thing is prepaid so this is the last thing I need before I can let go of Windows for good.
Yeah unfortunately the only way to play game pass on linux is cloud gaming, which... isn't great. Tried to play Forza Horizon 5 and image quality was not great (I've got a 1.5gbps dl speed so it ain't that) and the latency was not great either. If you're a game pass user you gotta dual boot still, and I don't expect things to change soon tbh.

With the mess Microsoft is planning with Windows, I'm going to switch to Linux what should I know about compatibility with HDR and VRR?
Depends, VRR is there, but for HDR gaming, it only works if you've got an AMD gpu and using the latest KDE plasma version under a wayland session. Even then you gotta do some work to make it work, so if you want easy seamless HDR experience for videos and games, I would wait a bit, but if you're fine with working a bit to make it work, it's there.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a 7900xtx basically within single digit framerate/percentage differences outside of cyberpunk RT (gimmick)?

If you're into linux I would just go amd to save the headache. not worth the increased price + drama for better RT frames and upscaling on a card that will munch games at native res anyway.

It is. For my res (3440x1440) it should be fine. It was mainly FSR looking hideous compared to DLSS on the games I tried and the RT. But aside from Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk and RE4, not much RT has really blown me away. I was trying to future proof I guess for later titles.

Considering I know my most played game will most likely be Dawntrail, AMD will serve me just fine.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Yeah unfortunately the only way to play game pass on linux is cloud gaming, which... isn't great. Tried to play Forza Horizon 5 and image quality was not great (I've got a 1.5gbps dl speed so it ain't that) and the latency was not great either. If you're a game pass user you gotta dual boot still, and I don't expect things to change soon tbh.

Depends, VRR is there, but for HDR gaming, it only works if you've got an AMD gpu and using the latest KDE plasma version under a wayland session. Even then you gotta do some work to make it work, so if you want easy seamless HDR experience for videos and games, I would wait a bit, but if you're fine with working a bit to make it work, it's there.
HDR works on nvidia so long as you have a newer driver. They exposed it with the deepcolor module setting a while ago. Works fine in KDE on Wayland, which is now actually usable thanks to the 555 driver.

EDIT: in fact, looking at the release notes the deepcolor change is enabled by default, now.

El meso

Oct 27, 2017
HDR works on nvidia so long as you have a newer driver. They exposed it with the deepcolor module setting a while ago. Works fine in KDE on Wayland, which is now actually usable thanks to the 555 driver.

EDIT: in fact, looking at the release notes the deepcolor change is enabled by default, now.

Does gamescope works now on this new driver?

With the steam deck being that good and the newest Microsoft shaneningas im ready to switch to bazzite/chimeraos os or any other distro that suports nvidia (and hdr)

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Does gamescope works now on this new driver?

With the steam deck being that good and the newest Microsoft shaneningas im ready to switch to bazzite/chimeraos os or any other distro that suports nvidia (and hdr)
I'm actually about to test it out, haha. Was going to hold off until tomorrow but I want to see how things are right now.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
First, omg the flashing xwayland is indeed fixed with the beta driver on the existing kwin release. Happy days!!

Not going to happen for the next few years, if ever frankly. UWP and Game Pass is pretty convoluted, and WINE would need to have a bunch of unique Windows UWP libraries implemented, and once you start dealing with licensing, encryption and DRM portions of the service, I'd have to imagine there's legal lines you'd have to not cross or the MS lawyers would get mad. And with UWP basically being dead, you'd also have to figure out which technology you'd want devs focusing on. None of it is impossible, but without a group of devs or even MS themselves for some reason doing a significant and coordinated effort, I just don't see it happening.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
So good news and bad news:
Good news: it does work. Enabling HDR in KDE and then using a gamescope launch parameter to set --hdr-enabled and the usual resolution/refresh/etc stuff let me turn on HDR in Tekken 8. I was able to adjust the brightness, saturation, etc there and it was working fine.

Bad news: while testing the different permutations of gamescope lines and HDR on or off in KDE, uh, the game just would randomly crash on me. Audio kept playing but the video would just freeze. This feels like an old bug from gamescope/nv cropped up from a little over a year ago, or was maybe not properly fixed despite it supposedly have been (per the github issues I was reading through).

The only other thing for me to try at this point is to try the drivers without using the open GSP modules. I didn't use them earlier in their time because there were features outright not working and they supposedly do work now, but I've had success since then not using the open GSP, so... I dunno. that or it's just the usual "these are beta drivers" stuff. I'm going to reinstall the driver without using the open GSP juuuuust to see how ti goes.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
First, omg the flashing xwayland is indeed fixed with the beta driver on the existing kwin release. Happy days!!

Not going to happen for the next few years, if ever frankly. UWP and Game Pass is pretty convoluted, and WINE would need to have a bunch of unique Windows UWP libraries implemented, and once you start dealing with licensing, encryption and DRM portions of the service, I'd have to imagine there's legal lines you'd have to not cross or the MS lawyers would get mad. And with UWP basically being dead, you'd also have to figure out which technology you'd want devs focusing on. None of it is impossible, but without a group of devs or even MS themselves for some reason doing a significant and coordinated effort, I just don't see it happening.
Man, that's such a bummer. It makes sense why WINE's maintainers wouldn't want to open that can of worms though.