• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Live service?

• Surely a successful model.

Votes: 165 27.4%
  • Sony i think you're a bit late.

Votes: 132 21.9%
  • Spicy thread, i'm sure it will go well

Votes: 120 19.9%
  • I'm going down with the GAAS ship

Votes: 31 5.1%
  • Oh well

Votes: 154 25.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Along with large rounds of layoffs we've seen recently I'm guessing some internal forecasters have scared companies into cutting costs.

They must all be getting the same info for this to all be happening in such a short period of time.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Rumor has it The Coalition canceled their smaller project and EA canceled Apex single player game. I'm not sure if this tells me too much about live service games (you can't really "can" a single player game that has already released) but more about the state of the economy and how publishers are cutting costs and taking less risks.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope Sony reconsiders going all in on GaaS for future games. It's been a bloodbath this week.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's easier for them to explain that they weren't succesful to their shareholders than to explain why they didn't try.

They're getting paid to find a way to make as much money as possible. A normal game isn't going to do that.

OP
OP
Blackbird

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I sure hope Sony reconsiders going all in on GaaS for future games. It's been a bloodbath this week.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to paint me as "smarter than most" picture while saying it is destined to fail, it might work and get them some hits.

But there are several red flags at least deserving discussion.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
They're harder to pull off than single player games and publishers are learning that

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Run the fear of missing out into the ground and see how well it goes. Not surprising, I couldn't devote that kind of time to those smaller scale GaaS games when it's already hard enough to keep up with Fortnite, COD, Fall Guys, Overwatch 2 and various other higher quality products.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
This list only shows that if you wanna do a live service, it needs to be big to get people from the most famous ones. Most of these games barely got any marketing effort or stand out against the competition.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
How many of these leaned just on cosmetics? Thinking we will see a shift to less f2p, gradually lower price (to end with f2p), then see meaningful paid content drops.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
companies need to learn that if they arent first then there dead last when it comes to jumping on a trend. unless you have something that truly standouts no one is gonna abandon the game their playing for something similar unless all the friends follow them too

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Given the reasoning behind the Bungie purchase and building a Live Service Center of Excellence (that's literally the name lmao) I doubt this'll change their current plans.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

The upside would be that Sony could use it as an example in the future. Same with mmos or tacked on mps, etc.

"Dear shareholders. We've tried and failed. From now on we'll try again but only with a few titles and not 10+. "

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me understand why these are being taken offline completely when we still have countless MP games from last generation and even the 360/PS3 generation still active? (even with tiny player bases) Is there something inherently more expensive about maintaining these games from a networking standpoint even if we assume they would stop all content and development updates?

Genuinely asking here, it feels like a new trend and one that's incredibly harmful to the communities formed around these games, no matter how small.

Edit: For example my sister was still playing the 360 version of PvZ Garden Warfare religiously up until a month ago. Servers were still up, MTX still purchase-able, etc.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
There really needs to be a clause for all these online games that when they shut down they still need to be made playable offline or with player hosted private servers

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Somehow Sony hasn't killed off Destruction Allstars and the Predator game between all that yet.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
At least Fire Emblem Heroes is still going strong after 6 years, that one might last over 10 years at this rate.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition for most GaaS devs looking to break into the space. Either the game doesn't attract a large enough audience quickly enough and dies, or it does gain traction, and now you're faced with the nigh impossible task of feeding content to the player base at a rate that keeps them satisfied, engaged, and growing.

Doesn't help that the GaaS leader(Fortnite) releases content at a pace that very few devs are equipped to match.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's an over-saturated market.

If Sony is still thinking their GaaS model is sustainable they need a rethink.

Dump money into Factions

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
I had no idea Crimesight was a live service game, it always looked cool, but I just never bothered with it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Love Live in particular shouldn't count (as Gematsu's already said) because a) that game's been alive for almost a decade, and b) they're working on School Idol Festival 2 right now. I have to imagine that School Idol Festival's shutdown has been planned for quite a while.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
And yet we had people questioning why Red fall being always online is a bad thing.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Can someone help me understand why these are being taken offline completely when we still have countless MP games from last generation and even the 360/PS3 generation still active? (even with tiny player bases) Is there something inherently more expensive about maintaining these games from a networking standpoint even if we assume they would stop all content and development updates?

Genuinely asking here, it feels like a new trend and one that's incredibly harmful to the communities formed around these games, no matter how small.

Edit: For example my sister was still playing the 360 version of PvZ Garden Warfare religiously up until a month ago. Servers were still up, MTX still purchase-able, etc.
No idea. Are most of those 360/PS3 active games being hosted on the player side or are they actually dedicated servers?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't think Sony is going "all in" on GAAS, I think only a couple of the planned GAAS games are internally developed (not counting MLB, Gran Turismo or Destiny) and I think they know as much as anyone that GAAS is a risk, hence why they are releasing so many of them with the hopes that at least one of them becomes a massive success.

GAAS is very much high risk, high reward so you'll continue to see publishers pushing it at least for now

I think the biggest thing is that a lot of older games especially from the PS3/360 generation just used the Xbox/Playstation/Steam matchmaking services and had peer to peer connections for the games rather than just dedicated servers for everything. Like I know that COD didn't switch to dedicated servers until either Ghosts or Advanced Warfare and that at launch, Halo MCC used peer to peer matchmaking rather than dedicated servers as well.

Nowadays though dedicated servers are the norm for games and with crossplay in the picture they probably don't only use the Xbox/Playstation/Steam matchmaking services and instead use their own which means that they need to maintain that stuff and keep at least a small support team there to make sure that nothing breaks and that if anything does break it's fixed relatively soon, and with no money to be brought in, it's pointless for them to do all that

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest thing is that a lot of older games especially from the PS3/360 generation just used the Xbox/Playstation/Steam matchmaking services and had peer to peer connections for the games rather than just dedicated servers for everything. Like I know that COD didn't switch to dedicated servers until either Ghosts or Advanced Warfare and that at launch, Halo MCC used peer to peer matchmaking rather than dedicated servers as well.

Nowadays though dedicated servers are the norm for games and with crossplay in the picture they probably don't only use the Xbox/Playstation/Steam matchmaking services and instead use their own which means that they need to maintain that stuff and keep at least a small support team there to make sure that nothing breaks and that if anything does break it's fixed relatively soon, and with no money to be brought in, it's pointless for them to do all that

Back in the days before matchmaking services (and even afterwards) community-managed dedicated servers were a thing; Team Fortress 2 has tons of them. So I wouldn't blame dedicated servers for all this; publishers and developers wanting more control over the play environment so they can set up persistent progression systems is my big guess for why we don't see dedicated servers run by the community for most games nowadays (i.e. GAAS or GASS-lite systems).

hurr hurr GAAS-lite

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I mean, seeing the list, it's not the win anti-GaaS people think it is.

A bunch of those games were just mediocre/had a bad lifecycle, which explains why people didn't play them much. That's pretty much it.
It's not like games like Warzone/Apex/LoL/Destiny closing their servers.

Also why do people see Crimesight as GaaS? I don't remember any GaaS element in the game from the few times I've played it back at release.
Is it because it's an always online game?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I am here to defend the GAAS.

I'm not going to do it right now, but just know that I am in spirit.