Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
This game has made me unbelievably happy.

It's one of the few games recently I've been able to let myself play for the joy of playing.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see this. I have complex feelings about the game but it's always nice to see a success story. Very glad for their success.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So is this game basically what people thought Stray was gonna be before it turned out to be more of an immersive light horror puzzle game? I haven't been keeping up with it.

100k units in two days is nice for an indie launch for sure.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
So is this game basically what people thought Stray was gonna be before it turned out to be more of an immersive light horror puzzle game? I haven't been keeping up with it.

It's much more free-form go about as a cat and do small side quests by doing typical cat things.

Despite it being a bit janky and awkward at times and also very short unless you do all the side stuff what I really enjoyed about it was the good vibes. There's a lot of positivity in the game and feel good interactions between the different animals.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017

And I'm on the other side of the fence where I'm really glad Stray is what it is. Less interested in this sandbox (litterbox?) game.

Oct 26, 2017
Hadn't heard of this game until now. This kind of looks like a more sandbox-y take on something like Untitled Goose Game; play a cute critter, and mess with people. I do wonder if this has an end-goal, like UGG did.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's much more free-form go about as a cat and do small side quests by doing typical cat things.

Despite it being a bit janky and awkward at times and also very short unless you do all the side stuff what I really enjoyed about it was the good vibes. There's a lot of positivity in the game and feel good interactions between the different animals.

I'll give it a go. I'm pretty worn out lately and I could use a game that isn't CONSTANT HIGH-STRESS ACTION for a change.

And I'm on the other side of the fence where I'm really glad Stray is what it is. Less interested in this sandbox (litterbox?) game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach, to be clear. I just feel like a lot of people thought Stray would be a "cat simulator" game whereas it's really not that. It's a perfectly fine little game in a vacuum.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Much better cat game than stray, loved the game and it's sense of exploration, cat skills and the writing is hilarious

I hope it sells much more

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
When I read the thread title I was happy for them, but then I saw the Tweet has not one, but TWO cat puns, and now I hate them.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also surprised they never made an Android/Iphone version of the game. Seems like the type of game that could do very well on mobile.

They largely dropped mobile efforts because even Mario kart wasn't making *that much* money.

HOWEVER, I have no idea how they and Niantic ended up on pikmin as their big crossover walking IP after pokemon, where the main reward is dressing up the pikmin and "Take your nintendogs for walks" was RIGHT THERE

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Totally deserved, aside from some mechanical roughness (ask me about the time I got trapped on a pipe stuck in a mid-jump animation or the times I've fallen off a ledge because reasons) it's really been such a joy. Fun characters, goofy situations, and I really feel for the cat whenever I screw up enough that someone has to carry me outside. LEMMEGOLEMMEGOLEMMEGO I JUST WANTED FEESH

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty huge considering this is also on Game Pass. Hope they see a lot of success, I'm looking forward to playing it.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It makes me happy these lower budget 7/10 games (that remind me of experimental games in the PS2 era) are doing well. Really good to see a small team finding their audience.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear it's doing well. Will definitely pick it up at some point.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach, to be clear. I just feel like a lot of people thought Stray would be a "cat simulator" game whereas it's really not that. It's a perfectly fine little game in a vacuum.
I don't know what ever gave off that impression that it would be a cat simulator where you just go off and do cat things.

"Lost, alone, and separated from family, a stray cat must untangle an ancient mystery to escape a long-forgotten cybercity and find the way home."

That blurb reads exactly like linear story-driven puzzle adventure game, not sandbox cat shennanigans. The cat is also wearing a backpack accompanied by a drone so clearly there's something different going on there besides cat stuff.

Apr 2, 2021
played a little bit of this last night and it put a big smile on my face. Nothing brings me more joy than to see a game do something creative, maybe not 100% pull it off (game does seem pretty janky) but audiences still discover it and appreciate it.