• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
This is my first time ever putting together an OT and doing so on fairly short notice, so please bear with me!

4wsKD2T.jpg

Little Town Hero

GkqHOEd.jpg

Genre: Turn-based RPG, quasi-card game style
Platform: Nintendo Switch (digital download only)
Release date: October 16, 2019 (It's already out!)
Developer: Game Freak
Publisher: Game Freak
Director: Masao Taya
Pricing:
US - $24.99
EU - €24,99
UK - £22.49
JP - ¥2,750
Download size: 1.9 GB

S34aSW9.jpg
In a sleepy, content town situated near the edge of the world, a young boy, Axe, works as a coal miner but dreams of a life of adventure, wishing to pass beyond the castle that oversees and protects the town from the outside world and see for himself what's out there.

Instead of setting out, however, adventure winds up coming to him instead, as a thought-not-to-exist monster suddenly appears in the village, and Axe is tasked by circumstance to battle the beast and protect the citizens with the aid of a curious red crystal he discovered while in the mine. So begins his impromptu quest to unravel the mystery of the monsters and figure out just why the town's ancestors shut themselves away from the outside world to begin with.

The primary focus of Little Town Hero is its turn-based battle system, wherein Axe pits his "ideas" in combat against his enemies in clashes more akin to a trading card game than your standard "attack, magic, item, run" JRPG. Attack, defend, buff and debuff, make use of the help of other townsfolk or anything else at your disposal as your battleground constantly moves. Wear down the enemy's hit points, and you win! Simple, right? Not as much as you might think. Enemies can be ferocious and a solid understanding of a fight's various mechanics and the ability to think ahead are essential in order to survive.

Outside of combat, players can roam around the town, advance the story, and take on and resolve side-quests to help out your neighbors, giving you some extra flavor about the people you're protecting, or even netting some useful points to upgrade your ideas or even convince others to help support you in battle!

05BvAt0.jpg
The game does an alright job of easing players into the mechanics and introducing things one step at a time, but there's a difference between simply telling you what everything does and hinting at how best to use it. Rather than explaining the battle system's basics, here's just a couple of hints to hopefully help get your brain buzzing in the right direction. For me at least, it all starts with one crucial state of mind: efficiency is key.
  • The tutorial reminds you to use up all your power each turn, but bear in mind that doesn't mean that expending it all should necessarily be your first priority. Most blue dazzits, when used, will be replaced by something new from your headspace (or replaced directly in the case of Improvise). It's possible that that replacement idea could be more useful in that turn than other izzits you've already got, so take care not to rush to judgment too quickly.
  • On a similar note, your order of operations within each turn is important, and can be used at times to improve your odds in the face of some of the game's randomness. Take Nelz' support ability for instance; activating it will randomly select an unconverted izzit and reduce its power-cost to zero. In that case, the most efficient way to make use of it is to try and convert whatever low-cost izzits you can with your own power before activating Nelz, so that he'll be more likely to select something that would normally cost more power to convert. The same goes for moves like Psych Guard, which will apply a buff to another random dazzit when converted, meaning you can manipulate which dazzits you have to try and get the most out of those buffs.
  • Keep the map in mind so that you know when you're within range of certain spots and you may be able to organize your ideas to better make use of support. If you're near a helpful villager, getting free mobility is a big boon, or knowing what dazzits you might need to activate nearby gimmicks might lead to you hanging on to something you could possibly use now in order to turn it into a bigger payoff later.
  • Trying to work things out such that you can have dazzits survive more than one turn of combat is really useful, because that's that much less power that needs to be expended in the next turn and can be used on other things instead. Double-check to make sure you can still get the breaks you want without breaking your own ideas, if possible.
  • At least so far personally, battles against monsters in particular are designed in such a way that it's unlikely that you'll be able to coast through a fight unscathed. Don't get discouraged if you end up taking a few hits, or if it feels like you're not racking up damage quickly enough. Perseverance and focused thinking pays off!

Click the image above to fast-travel to the review thread. Overall the range of scores has been...wide, to put it mildly, so consider checking out differing opinions to try and figure out if it's a game that might appeal to you or not!

dAisnDJ.jpg
Official game page (US)

As noted in its previous Nintendo Direct appearance, much of the game's soundtrack was composed by Toby Fox of UNDERTALE/DELTARUNE fame, with Hitomi Sato handling the arrangement. I haven't seen any word on an official soundtrack release yet but if it comes up, I'll update that here, too.

Screenshots

Videos
Combat overview trailer
Character trailer

As a personal request…this game was created by a small team within Game Freak as part of a system of theirs that allows developers to spend time specifically away from Pokemon to try and curtail series fatigue, so if your main take when it comes to this game involves some preference of its resources going into Sword and Shield instead…please kindly refrain and just let this be its own thing, for better or worse. I'd rather this not need to get the same sort of staff post that the review thread already received. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well done op! I'm interested but not sure when I'll have the budget to get it

OP
OP
Doorman

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So I finished off chapter 2 earlier today (Ironically enough I didn't make any more progress than that since I wound up spending most of my night making this thread, lul), and definitely feeling pretty decent about the introduction of more new mechanics.
I especially like the way they handled it here in a very good "video game teaching" kind of way, giving you a low-stress environment at first to come to grips with what the new wrinkle is and how to strategize around it
by dealing with the effects of "fluff" through the sheep-shearing
before giving you the "exam" with involving it into a fully-fledged battle.
Geez what a fight though. It felt like I really didn't score many Chance Turns at all, I'm pretty sure most of my actual body attacks came from the field gimmicks, so it was a weird revelation to be puzzling my way through another turn before realizing...hey, wait...I can actually win the fight on this turn. It hadn't even occurred to me that I was that close to the end until I realized I had checkmate. It was a bit of a surreal feeling.

Oct 28, 2017
So I finished off chapter 2 earlier today (Ironically enough I didn't make any more progress than that since I wound up spending most of my night making this thread, lul), and definitely feeling pretty decent about the introduction of more new mechanics.
I especially like the way they handled it here in a very good "video game teaching" kind of way, giving you a low-stress environment at first to come to grips with what the new wrinkle is and how to strategize around it
by dealing with the effects of "fluff" through the sheep-shearing
before giving you the "exam" with involving it into a fully-fledged battle.
Geez what a fight though. It felt like I really didn't score many Chance Turns at all, I'm pretty sure most of my actual body attacks came from the field gimmicks, so it was a weird revelation to be puzzling my way through another turn before realizing...hey, wait...I can actually win the fight on this turn. It hadn't even occurred to me that I was that close to the end until I realized I had checkmate. It was a bit of a surreal feeling.
First of all, thank you for making the OT!

Just finished Chapter 2 myself and victory felt earned, although I did have that same moment of surprise of "wow, I can win this turn?" near the end. Pashmia's (spelling?) and her grandma's abilities are very OP, I think I got most if not all of the NPCs around the board with Free Movement abilities during the final Chapter 2 battle. I also used a Barrel but didn't get lucky enough to trigger a canon or a chicken to see what they did. Just didn't have the right Izzits in my "hand" to trigger them when I did land on those spaces.

Overall, I'm very happy I spent the time to unlock and utilize the Eureka board before continuing the story!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Thanks for making this OT on short notice, it looks good! OT title can always be changed by a mod if we think of something.

As for the game, I'm still feeling it out. I just completed Chapter 2 as well. As I said in the review thread, I think the battle system being a mix of CCG and Mario Party board game movement is pretty sweet however from my experience so far these battles last wayyyyy too long. I feel like it would have been way more fun if they tweaked the combat a bit. As it stands it's just stalemate after stalemate without any damage being done and it get's very monotonous very fast, IMO.

The lack of NPC variety is a killer, too. I harp on details like this, and to have such blatant copies for a game that takes place in a small town is bad. Within the first 30 minutes you go to work in a mine and there are 6 NPC's, FOUR of which are identical, the other two also being the same under a different model. Stuff like that is just inexcusable.

It looks pretty nice though in a cozy way and it seems pretty charming so far, too. I would have been dismayed if this was a full priced game, but at $25 I think it's good enough so far to take the plunge, especially if you like CCG's. And of course the Toby Fox soundtrack is awesome.

OP
OP
Doorman

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Missed opportunity: Little Town Hero |OT| Not a Town Building Simulator
I'll be honest, I was wracking my brain for quite a while while working on the rest of the thread trying to come up with a decent title (and specifically one that wouldn't involve cheeky pokemon references) so it is at least a bit meta for me.
This does bring something up though that I was curious about even with the GameXplain video preview and the review thread....I've seen quite a few people actually mention surprise or disappointment that the game is lacking in town-building features, which....how did so many people come to that conclusion? Building has literally never been even suggested or hinted at in any of the game's (albeit sparse) communications, so how did this become such a common assumption? How often does this happen with other games?

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest, I was wracking my brain for quite a while while working on the rest of the thread trying to come up with a decent title (and specifically one that wouldn't involve cheeky pokemon references) so it is at least a bit meta for me.
This does bring something up though that I was curious about even with the GameXplain video preview and the review thread....I've seen quite a few people actually mention surprise or disappointment that the game is lacking in town-building features, which....how did so many people come to that conclusion? Building has literally never been even suggested or hinted at in any of the game's (albeit sparse) communications, so how did this become such a common assumption? How often does this happen with other games?
Not exactly the same but Ni no Kuni 2 did have a town builder that kept getting ripped apart for not being more complex, even though they never showed anything that would suggest it being more complex. I think because the initial name of Little Town Hero was just "Town" and they didn't show really anything, people built up an idea in their head. I think that a lot of people don't really follow game news, they hear about the announcement and the release and blank out everything between those two. For whatever reason... lack of time/attention, not wanting spoilers, not a ton of coverage etcetera. Especially with an extremely niche game like this it isn't too surprising.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I like this, but I can see how some people might not get on with it. The combat system is a bit confusing but its a lot of fun once you figure it out. The art style is nice and the music is pretty great. Shame that it got such a poor reception so we will probably never see it developed further.

The big enemy fights do seem to take quite a long time, I think it would be better if they reduced the enemy health a little.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do people not understand the meaning behind the intentional subtitle of this |OT|?

I was interested in this game until I read up on it. Seems it's not great.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Really digging this game. Few hours in I think, chapter 3 or 4 now. I like the combat, some of it still is a little weird, but making progress. It's pretty cool though. Right now I'd rate it about a 7.5-8 personally. It's not a huge RPG, so to compare to DQ11 or Pokemon just isn't fair. I can see a complaint with the battles dragging on, to me it's like a match of Hearstone, sometimes it's a battle of attrition. Definitely doesn't deserve the super low scores though, to me, it seems like the reviewer just didn't get the concept. It's enjoyable though that's for sure. The main complaint I have is the frramerate, it's poor. I hope that's not going to happen in Pokemon, you can see severe dips panning the camera angle around, which is another complaint I guess, the camera angles in the game are weird, They built a beautiful world, but sometimes the camera just does an overhead behind the back still, and you can't rotate. Few quirks for sure, but again, I kinda dig it

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Thank you for doing this man! Great OT for just throwing it together. I am enjoying my time with the game so far given the decisiveness of it, hopefully some others will give it a chance

Deleted member 14939

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats one thing I dislike and love about the game so far! The interiors are great! the shops and everything are super nice and lovely, I just wish I could buy the stuff in the shops or do something in there lol

I do wish they were a little more interactive but they are super pleasing to look at. I'm sad that I took a screenshot of the cheese shop that diesn't include the little mouse doorway.

OP
OP
Doorman

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The big enemy fights do seem to take quite a long time, I think it would be better if they reduced the enemy health a little.
I feel like I'm of two minds a bit when it comes to this so far, and can't quite decide which side of the fence I actually land on. On one hand, the fights lasting a long time can definitely bring on a bit of mental fatigue and since you're never quite sure what sort of spread of dazzits the enemy's about to throw out, you can't really be sure ahead of time whether you'll be able to secure a Chance Turn or even an All Break on any particular turn, so it can be hard to feel like you're even making regular forward progress. The long fights also feel like they work a bit at-odds with the "small scale RPG for busy people" mission statement that the rest of the game's design is formed around.

On the other hand, like I mentioned in my end of Chapter 2 impressions, the feeling of surprising relief of making it to that final turn and securing victory after what feels like a bitter struggle is also extremely satisfying. J_Plays_Games mentioned this in a post in the review thread too and I agree with it so far that the monster battles feel tuned in a way to make the fight feel very "even" between you and the monster throughout the battle. While the fights can feel like they overstay their welcome, I also think it would be difficult to find ways to shorten it without inadvertently shifting the power-balance and making the fights feel too easy and empowering as a result.

I'm reminded of something that took me a bit by surprise at the time, from a specific line that was given during the battle tutorial. When explaining the way that free movement works, it specifically describes your free range as "moving one space forward or up to four spaces back." It struck me strangely in the moment, as it implies that your normal path across the map on a usual turn is backward, not forward. But...then you pay attention to where Axe is located in combat relative to the monsters, and it suddenly makes sense. Movement in the town during battle is going on (and happening "backwards") because Axe is constantly on the retreat from the monster's attacks. Between that, the general difficulty and length of battles, and the need to rely on town gimmicks or townsfolk support, it comes together to really sell the notion that these are truly overwhelmingly powerful monsters, and even Axe, for as strong as other characters describe him, is just barely holding on and struggling to survive while also defending the town and its people. It's a fascinating way to handle combat compared to other RPGs, where battling monsters can often feel like a more empowering activity, if not downright rote. It makes triumphing against these beasts against all odds even more of a feat.

Do people not understand the meaning behind the intentional subtitle of this |OT|?

I was interested in this game until I read up on it. Seems it's not great.
There is a bit of truth behind the subtitle, admittedly, but I also sure do hope that people understand why it is what it is. :P

As for it being "not great," as you can see in the review thread it seems to very much be a "your personal mileage may vary" sort of game. It has the one-of-a-kind distinction of being "Hated" by GameXplain, but a fair number of outlets have also thrown it 8.5s and 9s. At the core of it seems to be the question of whether you find the battle system personally compelling or not, because that's very much the heart of the project, and the scope of it is otherwise pretty limited.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Games really frustrating, I'd say that its not a "bad" game overall taking everything into account, but its clearly experimental and overall badly designed at its core.

It seems like it has systematic issues that are band-aided in various ways, like if there is something in the game that requires a band-aid, the thing that causes the band-aid probably needs to be scrapped, like attacks should not be limited to once per-turn, their limitation should be their overall lack of endurance and perhaps a 1-move cool down, where they are disabled until another move is used, this would speed up battles and limit the amount of times you are just completely screwed, I'd almost suggest this gets patched into the current game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I tend to enjoy games with weird turn-based combat systems even when they're divisive with reviewers (thought Natural Doctrine was a lot of fun) so definitely adding this to my list.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like it has systematic issues that are band-aided in various ways, like if there is something in the game that requires a band-aid, the thing that causes the band-aid probably needs to be scrapped, like attacks should not be limited to once per-turn, their limitation should be their overall lack of endurance and perhaps a 1-move cool down, where they are disabled until another move is used, this would speed up battles and limit the amount of times you are just completely screwed, I'd almost suggest this gets patched into the current game.

I'm pretty sure the "Red Dazzits can only be used once" is based of the card collecting games Little Town Hero is based on. In Yu-Gi-Oh placing a monster down in "attack" positions means they can attack other enemy monster but they can only do so once. The same goes for red dazzits in LTH. They are essentially monsters in "attack" position.

That doesn't mean you have to enjoy the system, but I think that's the reasoning.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure the "Red Dazzits can only be used once" is based of the card collecting games Little Town Hero is based on. In Yu-Gi-Oh placing a monster down in "attack" positions means they can attack other enemy monster but they can only do so once. The same goes for red dazzits in LTH. They are essentially monsters in "attack" position.

That doesn't mean you have to enjoy the system, but I think that's the reasoning.
That does make sense, but I'm mainly concerned with them designing the game to be less frustrating, it feels like they didn't sit through and actually play the entire game. Like the boss' effects tied to their attacks are too powerful for the lack of options you get to negate them, like more moves should have "trap" nullifying effects baked in, of course not all of them, but definitely more, I shouldn't have to hop I land on a chicken space and have access to throw to deal with these moves for the extent of their strengths.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That does make sense, but I'm mainly concerned with them designing the game to be less frustrating, it feels like they didn't sit through and actually play the entire game. Like the boss' effects tied to their attacks are too powerful for the lack of options you get to negate them, like more moves should have "trap" nullifying effects baked in, of course not all of them, but definitely more, I shouldn't have to hop I land on a chicken space and have access to throw to deal with these moves for the extent of their strengths.

Some of the boss have move effects that are very hard to deal with without the chicken effect. There is an Improvise move that also has the chicken ability, but it's still random whether you get it or not.

A more controlled method of deadling with those would be nice. Yeah.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, thats the last straw. Was playing a boss for almost an hour after retrying several times on another one, was almost done and moved my character to a different part of the board and the game just stops running the battle program, the units are still in animation and the music is playing but the battle won't actually initiate. I'm imagining this happening very late in the game on top of all the frustration and BS the battle system already puts you through, any risk of this happening, no matter how small the chance, makes this a no go for me. This is absolutely the worst bug the game can have. Sad that it doesn't even trigger a game crash to close the app; this is a summation of everything wrong with this game.

Im usually not this severe on games I try and I git over halfway through it, but yeah I'm done with this POS game, deleting it from my switch now.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
Finished this game yesterday. Weird technical issues aside I have to say I really enjoyed it. Having finished it I finally watched that notorious Gamexplain review and find it weird that the reviewer preferred the small scale battles. For me those were my least favourite and I preferred the more strategic boss battles. Anyway, off to continue my playthrough of Dragon Quest XI S. I paused this for a few days since I couldn't stop playing Little Town Hero.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the third chapter this morning. It is almost crazy how great the game is at anticipating the next system I want in combat in the last two chapters. I died hard due to RNG on the first attempt, it is pretty cool that you get an opportunity to use the Eureka board and power up before the next attempt.

Really wish there was a way to do cutscene skips though. Maybe there is and I'm just not seeing it?

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Finished the third chapter this morning. It is almost crazy how great the game is at anticipating the next system I want in combat in the last two chapters. I died hard due to RNG on the first attempt, it is pretty cool that you get an opportunity to use the Eureka board and power up before the next attempt.

Really wish there was a way to do cutscene skips though. Maybe there is and I'm just not seeing it?

Unfortunately not

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Some of the boss have move effects that are very hard to deal with without the chicken effect. There is an Improvise move that also has the chicken ability, but it's still random whether you get it or not.

A more controlled method of deadling with those would be nice. Yeah.

Did you make it past the
plant monster
in Chapter 4? Guy is tough to break his Dazzits with 8 and 9 armor regularly

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you make it past the
plant monster
in Chapter 4? Guy is tough to break his Dazzits with 8 and 9 armor regularly

I actually reviewed the game, so I beat everything. Yeah.

That's the weird Pig Bug thing that eats the black gem, right? I don't remember the fight too well. The monster that I had the most trouble with their moves' secondary abilities actually comea at the end of a side quest. It's the one that starts with the little girl sleeping in the cornfield. Let me know when you finish it!

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I actually reviewed the game, so I beat everything. Yeah.

That's the weird Pig Bug thing that eats the black gem, right? I don't remember the fight too well. The monster that I had the most trouble with their moves' secondary abilities actually comea at the end of a side quest. It's the one that starts with the little girl sleeping in the cornfield. Let me know when you finish it!

Yes that's the one that eats the black gem, and you discover your friend's
gem can teleport