• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
LittleBigPlanet 3

Due to ongoing technical issues which resulted in the LittleBigPlanet™ 3 servers for PlayStation®4 being taken offline temporarily in January 2024, the decision has been made to keep the servers offline indefinitely.

All online services including access to other players' creations for LittleBigPlanet 3 are no longer available.

User generated content (UGC) stored locally on your PS4™ will remain available.

Any new UGC you create can be played on your PS4 but not shared.

Offline features such as the campaign will remain playable.

www.playstation.com

Support for games you can play online | PlayStation

This is an important notice for all PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita and PSP owners regarding the online features of certain games.

Close if old.

More information:

View: https://twitter.com/lbpunion/status/1781404355742101646?t=6wXdtyWxl-UDbwnFTatSfA

Last edited:

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
That's one way to handle a shutdown…

Soft shutdown claiming it's temporary, wait a bit for people to stop caring, then make it permanent.

psilex

Aug 3, 2020
LittleBigPlanet 3 was the last connection to the 10 million user levels made across the main trilogy, so 15 years of history are gone now.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Does this mean every creation from LBP 1&2 is gone forever now? wtf
No, the resource server is still online.

View: https://twitter.com/lbpunion/status/1781404355742101646?t=6wXdtyWxl-UDbwnFTatSfA

Someone mentioned why it's difficult to fix the server issues plaguing the game:

/u/Careless_Main3 said:
LBP servers were constantly being the target of hackers. The netcode probably needs to be rebuilt from the ground up because there's no one left at Sony who will be onboarded at Media Molecule to fix any issues.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's fucked
Only a matter of time that Dreams also has a technical issue they might hide behind to pull the servers too.

littlebigarchive.com

Home

Welcome to the LittleBigPlanet Archive! This site is a resource dedicated to preservation and reverse-engineering. LBP, Modnation, Soundshapes, etc.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
They did exactly the same in the past with the previous LBP games. Mystery outage and then "*shrug* welp, we can't fix this. Byeeeee".

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
How on earth do you kill a game like LittleBigPlanet, a major part of Playstation's history, out of the blue like this.

I get that the server software can't be fixed to prevent hackers, or at the very least isn't economically viable, but send the content out with a bang if you're gonna pull the rug out from under players like that.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
They did exactly the same in the past with the previous LBP games. Mystery outage and then "*shrug* welp, we can't fix this. Byeeeee".

That wasn't a mystery, it was a DDOS attack that exploited a vulnerability. They were unable to fix it server side and it needed a client side patch, which LBP3 on PS4 got, but since PS3 game patches are no longer possible to make they could not fix LBP1/2/3 on PS3.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't a mystery, it was a DDOS attack that exploited a vulnerability. They were unable to fix it server side and it needed a client side patch, which LBP3 got, but since PS3 game patches are no longer possible to make they could not fix LBP1&2.
I meant more "mystery". It's pretty clear that higher ups decided what't the cost-benefit here in fixing it when it's easier to just turn off?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Cutting off any of your servers while paying for the privilege to access them in your games and still shutting them down is fuckin garbage. Fuckin shutting servers down cuzz you couldn't figure your shit out even more so.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
PlayStation does not care about preserving its legacy, only bragging about it from time to time

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Man LBP used to be Playstation's mascot. The way these corporations treat their legacies...

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking didn't this only get patched recently to fix the issues it had under PS5 BC.... but no, that was 3 years ago.

Shame they couldn't figure out a way of hardening their server software.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shame. I didn't play 2 or 3 but I put hundreds of hours into the first one, so I have some nostalgia for the franchise.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god this makes me so sad.

Some of my all time favorite gaming memories ever were playing the levels everyone created.

They were bizarre and short, beautiful and long, and everything in between.

Seriously I'm really fucking depressed now.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
2 is legitimately one of the greatest games of all time. It's a shame how little Sony cares about the IP now.

It legitimately is, holy shit I remember playing LBP2 on release day and being blown away by how much more amazing it was in comparison to the first. Me and my homie Marc.

So many PS3 games lost to the PS3 forever. What a got damn shame Sony.

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
Werent sales from LBP DLC also keeping Media Molecule afloat during their bad years lol? So since this will probably dry out completely now I cant see this Studio survive 2024

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Really sucks going have to get my PS4 out see what on it

LBP 3 Not Mm game for anyone saying they doomed

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Why sony keep doing this dumb shit, they already know by the end if next week they gonna have to respond with the "we are listening" bullshit and turn the servers back on to try and cool tempers.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
This really emphasizes the fact that we need a new LBP game on the PS5. I mean, there's got to be money to make there, right?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
If I'm understanding this right, none of the main LBP games are playable online? At all???

I knew 1 & 2 got bad hackers and they had decided to shut it down.

Does this mean no searching for levels online and playing them in 3?

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
This is awful news, no chance to revisit some old lovely levels, we really need a new game or something :( Losing all those LBP levels is insane.

I am hopeful for Restitched being able to capture some of the essence if nothing else.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the hackers that ruined this series. The community is nothing but good vibes and goofing around, only a major douche would target this series

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Sigh… guess that's yet another server-reliant game I'll never get to play again. Preservation in this industry is totally fucked. It's only going to get worse from here too.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It always amazes me how people see the server shutdowns all the time but then still think digital stores are safe. They're only as safe as long as there is financial interest in the company's favor.

Why sony keep doing this dumb shit, they already know by the end if next week they gonna have to respond with the "we are listening" bullshit and turn the servers back on to try and cool tempers.

Nah, this isn't a big enough deal for them to do that. There will be a short small vocal outrage and it will disappear. If it was a big enough deal, they would have just spent the money that it would take to resolve the problem. I think it should be clear that the number of people who this really impacts is small enough to not spend the money to fix the problem.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, why the hell would they do that? What tempers? This is going to piss off nobody except the usual crowd of digital ownership users. LBP hasn't been a thing since after LBP 2, since 3 was a massive buggy failure.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, this isn't a big enough deal for them to do that. There will be a short small vocal outrage and it will disappear. If it was a big enough deal, they would have just spent the money that it would take to resolve the problem. I think it should be clear that the number of people who this really impacts is small enough to not spend the money to fix the problem.
It's unfortunate, but yeah, I agree.
It sucks to see servers go down, especially when it's first party stuff and they could very clearly be able to keep them up, but as a game, it's 10 years old and DLC stopped like 7 years ago, and all we had since then was a single game which had nothing to do with the Play, Create, Share aspect of the IP.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
Sad to think that's a massive chunk of my childhood just *gone*, I spent thousands of hours in LBP across 1, 2 and Vita - lots of that time was playing community levels that I'll never get to experience again. 3 was my least favourite entry by quite a long way, but it was the last link those community levels had left. Now it doesn't even have that going for it!

Apr 12, 2021
LBP3 sold 5.4m copies. It's not some flop nobody cares about

FWIW, while obviously anecdotal playing LBP3 and replaying 1 and 2 with my (now) wife was the reason I bought a PS4 after initially selling my PS3 and giving up on console gaming altogether. Between this and Bloodborne Sony has a unique talent of shitting all over their IPs that speak to me personally.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
The most disappointing thing Sony has done in the past ten years is cancel LittleBigPlanet Hub.

Maybe they'll bring it back to give LBP content new life. That would explain why the resource servers are still up.

/wishful thinking

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Bummer, there's something especially sad about the servers shutting down for games centered around player creations, like LBP or Mario Maker. In a perfect world those servers could be handed off to/mirrored by the community and kept online, but that's not really how companies like Sony or Nintendo think. I hope someone grabs all the level data and hosts it on a homebrew server some day.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This absolutely sucks. I was planning to revisit this game this year. ):

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
How extremely sad. I spent a *lot* of time playing user created levels between LBP 1, 2 and Vita (I also played PSP but only after the servers went down). It's pretty crazy how fast this series lost all this content and the circumstances under which it's gone (constant hacking) is very disappointing.