Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The "di" syllable in idiots can clearly be heard and make it clear that that's what he's saying.

Honestly I find it incredible that a bunch of Twitch guys listened to this looking for the word "idiots" and couldn't hear it.

Last edited:

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So is there a reason why you're only responding to people who hear the n word?

lol the implication of this question

To explain to them how they can hear a word so clearly but still be hearing it differently from so many other people.

Looking at the waveform (having identified many phonemes via waveform before), I appears to be a nasal "I" sound, so I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know what those concepts are and have studied language and it's part within psychology.
This isn't a priming case.

I'm sorry to say but you are wrong. Have you studied linguistics within psychology or have you studied linguistics?

Even ignoring the priming that OP clearly did, you likely have a schema connection between "twitch streamer" and the n-word.

Dec 8, 2018
I am hearing idiot and seems like that I am not alone. I would rather not judge a guy for something he might have said or not if there is no certainty he did because I don't believe seriously impacting his livelihood is fair without clear proof and in this case to me at least that seems to be the case.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Because with headphones on I can't hear a single 'g' or 'r' sound.
I'm using headphones too and the 'g' and 'z' are super clear to me. Not sure there's an 'r'

I'm curious about people who are hearing idiots which side of yanny/laurel they fell on. I think people who heard Yanny were better able to hear higher-pitch frequencies (I hear Yanny primarily)

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i hear 3 syllables, it almost sounds like a mix of him catching himself in the act and changing it to nidiots.

But i don't flat out hear the N word and i tried going into it expecting it straight up

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using headphones too and the 'g' and 'z' are super clear to me. Not sure there's an 'r'

I'm curious about people who are hearing idiots which side of yanny/laurel they fell on. I think people who heard Yanny were better able to hear higher-pitch frequencies (I hear Yanny primarily)
I don't hear "idiots" clearly either. It sounds to me like he garbled two words together. But there's definitely no hard 'g' or hard 'r' being spoken in that clip.

i hear 3 syllables, it almost sounds like a mix of him catching himself in the act and changing it to nidiots.

But i don't flat out hear the N word and i tried going into it expecting it straight up
Yes, this is possible. Sounds like he wanted to say a word that began with 'n' and then he changed it immediately.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
So at 0.5x speed with headphones it's still the n word for me. At 0.25x speed I can start to hear how it could be interpreted as idiots.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I can only hear the n-word in plural.
The slowed down one, after his pronounciation of "these", has three clear syllables to it.

The "s" of these is very sibilant, but once you adjust for that you can here "eh-eh-eh" in terms of the rhythm of 3 syllables in the final word he pronounces.

Which doesn't fit plural n-word as that only has 2. Very clearly so.

The sibilant sound of "these" plus the strong accent is very confusing.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I don't hear "idiots" clearly either. It sounds to me like he garbled two words together. But there's definitely no hard 'g' or hard 'r' being spoken in that clip.

Yes, this is possible. Sounds like he wanted to say a word that began with 'n' and then he changed it immediately.

actually after listening to that direct audio over and over...........i do not hear the iots part any more. It's either gets or ggas..............either way, it definitely sounds like it was in his mind to say the word

Oct 27, 2017
actually after listening to that direct audio over and over...........i do not hear the iots part any more. It's either gets or ggas..............either way, it definitely sounds like it was in his mind to say the word
I listened again at normal speed and slowed down and the only hard consonants I'm hearing are 'd' and 't'. The problem is the first consonant sounds like an 'n'. Not sure what a "nidiot" is, but that's what he's saying here imo.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I can admit, I only read part of the OP and went straight to listen to just the audio clip in the OP, and I pretty much heard the n word. It was not super clear but I heard it believing that is what I was indeed supposed to hear.

I then read some more information where it was stated he said idiots, and when I listened to the clip a second time around, and I pretty clearly heard idiots.

Being told what to expect to hear and what you actually do hear can be a hell of a thing. It is no doubt a real phenomenon.

I do believe he said idiots now that I know both theories as to what he said and I listen to it with as open of a mind, and ears, as possible.

With all that said, there will never be agreement across the board. The accusation has been made and it is close enough where people are hearing both words. So yeah, he is pretty much fucked regardless I would say.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I really, really don't hear a slur in there. Sounds odd, but maybe because I have a similar accent I understood him easily.

I'll withhold my opinion atm and wait for this to develop further.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is honestly the Blue/Gold/Yanny/Laurel thing all over again. I can hear it both ways. I think everyone in the thread should cool off on being so sure their way is 100%.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I listened again at normal speed and slowed down and the only hard consonants I'm hearing are 'd' and 't'. The problem is the first consonant sounds like an 'n'.

yes, accent and coming off the word "these" really drowns that beginning. The fact that we are having this discussion about what the hell he said though tells me its too hard to discern what he actually said. look at how many mixed responses we have

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I mean, it sounds like the n-word with a bit of a Farsi-style soft 'g' and roll-of-the-tongue 'r'. I'm surprised how many people are perceiving this as "idiots" but consequently I guess we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I can admit, I only read part of the OP and went straight to listen to just the audio clip in the OP, and I pretty much heard the n word. It was not super clear but I heard it believing that is what I was indeed supposed to hear.

I then read some more information where it was stated he said idiots, and when I listened to the clip a second time around, and I pretty clearly heard idiots.

Being told what to expect to hear and what you actually do hear can be a hell of a thing. It is no doubt a real phenomenon.

I do believe he said idiots now that I know both theories as to what he said and I listen to it with as open of a mind, and ears, as possible.

With all that said, there will never be agreement across the board. The accusation has been made and it is close enough where people are hearing both words. So yeah, he is pretty much fucked regardless I would say.
Given the circumstances, he should ride out the ban and likely will be fine. Either way, all I expect to come out of this is people railing against Twitch's system to detect the word as a matter of fairness or some other bullshit.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
People hearing nidiots, are you sure it's not 'eediotz'?

Still think the 'negev' one is the real issue, granted not as bad as using those other words

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I can't hear idiots no matter how hard I try, and I could swap laurel/yanny either.

No other words said during his video are hard to understand, and what he said clearly starts with an N and ends with an A. There is hesitation though? Like maybe he's never said it out loud, or tried to avoid that "er" and fall into the "a" ending... but that doesn't matter.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Given the circumstances, he should ride out the ban and likely will be fine. Either way, all I expect to come out of this is people railing against Twitch's system to detect the word as a matter of fairness or some other bullshit.
I think people will unfairly share this story as a way to prove the streamer in question is racist. Twitch needs to reverse the ban.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
On the first couple listens I heard something like "nidiots".

If I try to prime myself to hear the n-word, then I can hear...something else. With a "g" sound in the middle. But it still doesn't sound like the n-word precisely. So I'm inclined to believe him if he doesn't have a history of lying / controversy / racism.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the n-word to me quite clearly. Of course, doesn't seem that clear according to other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.