Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
All I care about is if Hey Micky is back. It was so hype when you'd use your meter and tare through hordes of zombies while it plays.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Still no platforms. This has to be on Switch. One more step towards Suda51's wish coming true: Having all of his games on Switch.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I'm here for it whenever it releases. Really wish they'd put out a trailer already. Like, enough with the screenshots. It's long past time to show RePOP in action.

onhold4u

Oct 29, 2017
Iowa
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
The producer has stated that 16 licensed songs are gone.

That's all of them: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2188807/soundtrack/
Guess I'm going to have to finish my old copy first. I still have a save I haven't finished from 2016(?) or something.

I definitely plan on playing the remaster but I remember so much charm from the original stemmed from the music selection. God I hate the state of modern music licensing.

Wonder if they'll keep Jimmy Euringer. I haven't heard much about the S. battery case since his label was dismissed from the case but from what I saw he was still awaiting trial.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this game on PS3 back in the day, but it's definitely gonna hit different now that Tara Strong is an asshat and the needle-drops are gone.

OP
OP
TheKupoxBooper
Apr 5, 2022
It was originally planned to be a remake (that would be as close to a remaster as possible), but "due to fan request" it was instead changed to be a remaster.
I couldn't tell you what that means really, but I guess we'll see. I never got to play the original so I'm excited for this.

As long as the combat really improves (a la Nier Replicant) then this could be a good release! <3 The visuals especially seeing a side to side comparsion really is good to see. the new one looks way colorful/vivid looking.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
I remember back in the day, I played this on a friends house.
A guy said afterbeing saved: "I'm totally going to masturbate to you tonight."
Can't wait to play this from start to finish.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Not having the licensed music seems to be an exceedingly bad idea? Like it's the only thing I really remember from the original.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The licensed music stuff sucks, hopefully a PC mod or something will sort that out.

Though ultimately if you can do very similar legally distinct original tracks you might be okay. Worked for HFR.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Been a long time since I've played or even seen gameplay of the original so I made a comparison on imgsli for 2 of the screenshots to quickly slide back and forth between the original and the remaster.

Comparison #1

Comparison #2

EDIT:
Side by side for those who would prefer that instead.
nhV9nxL.jpeg

njeCIpa.jpeg

S
Really leaning into making the colors pop even more. Good choice

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This looks a lot better than I remember it looking. Also the interviews seem like the devs know that they're doing.

I'm actually looking forward to this now. Was initially disappointed that none of the original creators were involved but that may not be a bad thing. Especially after the Dead Space remake turned out so perfectly.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since they changed the project into more of a remaster rather than full remake, I'd like to hope that maybe the soundtrack situation changed along the way since the producer's original quote was quite old if I recall and was from very early into the project. If not, I might pick it up on PC instead since I'm sure mods will reinsert the licensed tracks. The original soundtrack is still quite great but it used those licensed tracks to excellent effect.

I like the sound of the updates to combat feel. I bet even Grasshopper would approve on that front since their post-LC project Killer Is Dead tried to move toward faster and snappier game play as well, even when it buckled under UE3 being the worst piece of shit ever for this type of thing.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Since they changed the project into more of a remaster rather than full remake, I'd like to hope that maybe the soundtrack situation changed along the way since the producer's original quote was quite old if I recall and was from very early into the project. If not, I might pick it up on PC instead since I'm sure mods will reinsert the licensed tracks. The original soundtrack is still quite great but it used those licensed tracks to excellent effect.

I like the sound of the updates to combat feel. I bet even Grasshopper would approve on that front since their post-LC project Killer Is Dead tried to move toward faster and snappier game play as well, even when it buckled under UE3 being the worst piece of shit ever for this type of thing.
I was always going to get the PC version but now this is the main reason for me to do so.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The issue is just that the songs need to be licensed all over again, right? I could see the original soundtrack being added as DLC after the fact if the game makes enough money.

I played this back in the day and loved it. The only problem was the sluggish combat, so it's great to hear that might be improved.

What's the deal with the alternative Japanese VA? There should be an English alt too, given Strong's Islamophobia.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
No licensed music stinks, but on the flipside the game can be kept up on digital storefronts without having to worry about licensing issues.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
They claim they switched to a remaster because of feedback, but with them also not licensing the songs - which due to their relevance can't be that expensive - really does make it seem their expected budget just didn't work out so this is the contingency.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I can't imagine that the titular Lollipop song that played in the menus is that expensive to license but hecked if I know

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It was originally planned to be a remake (that would be as close to a remaster as possible), but "due to fan request" it was instead changed to be a remaster.
I couldn't tell you what that means really, but I guess we'll see. I never got to play the original so I'm excited for this.

Sounds more like the budget was slashed tbh, there's no chance they couldn't license the Chordettes' Lollipop or Hey Mickey again if they had a modest budget, those songs probably cost pennies. Would also explain remake->remaster

Seriously the OST downgrade is a huge fail for this project, so many of the setpieces were defined by the soundtrack

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
At least this time it's on PC so the missing music won't be too much of an issue, I'm just glad it's not stuck on PS360 anymore and that apparently they're gonna improve the combat.

OceanSky

Nov 22, 2021
Screenshots look okay to me, I didn't expect much graphical improvement.

The only issue is licensing songs.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aw shit, they're keeping the cast? Damnit, I was hoping for certain people to not comeback.

Shame about the licensed music too